The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: The dominoes start to fall for spring season

Post by iaafan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:24 pm

Cledus wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:17 am
Montanabob wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:24 am
The MICKSTER wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:30 am
Just a quick review of the players MSU & um have lost….I may be missing some

MSU Offense; Brott our best OL and Sessions, who left, Kassis & Jonsen our 2 best WR’s, & Logan Jones.
MSU Defense; DL Marks & Sterk...ouch on both, LB Josh Hill, both Safeties Alleyene & Konkol...ouch again, 2 CB’s Washington & Filer

um Offense; QB Sneed...their best offensive player, WR's Toure & JLM, TE, & 2 OL.
um Defense; MLB Dante Olson...their best player by far, NT Sims, DE Rice, both CB’s...Calhoun graduated and Nash left…., & S Sandry.

Some things that stick out are;
‘um loses their best players on both sides of the ball. Both Sneed & Olson will be very difficult to replace. Combine that with 2 of their best 3 WR’s along with their TE & 2 OL, I don’t see them getting better on offense. On defense I think it will be even more difficult to be as good as they were in 2019; they lose Olson along with arguably their 2nd best player in Sims on defense and 3 of 4 starters in their secondary.

MSU has 3 of 5 OL back along with Ifanse and 2 backs who should be able to replace Logan Jones in Sumner & Perry. Losing both Jonsen & Kassis will definitely hurt. On defense we’ll have our best player back (TA..who didn’t play in the 19 Brawl). Losing both Marks & Sterk off of the DL will hurt big time, as will 4 from our secondary as well.

In 2021 our QB will either be Rovig, with more experience, or somebody better than Rovig…Bauman or McKay, so on Offense our most important position should be at least slightly better than 2019. I think um’s QB play will be substantially worse than in 2019 without Sneed, which was who made their Offense go. On Defense we will have a healthy TA, but because we lose Sterk, Marks & 4 of 5 of our secondary we might not be as stout as in 2019. ‘um will almost certainly not be as good on Defense IMHO…I don’t think they will come close to replacing either Olson & Sims, and their Secondary loses.

I don’t think we’ll be able to replace Kassis & Jonsen. I think we’ll be able to replace our loses on the OL, because that is what a Choate coached team does. Therefore, in a 2021 matchup, whether it’s in the spring, fall or both, just like the last 4 Brawl’s I don’t see how um will stop our run game, especially when you consider who um lost on Defense. If we can run the ball for 300-400 yards against an um team without Sneed, I just don’t see us losing. IF, we play in the spring, it will be a less than full wa-griz stadium, which should limit their home field advantage, and when we play in the fall it should be in a rockin’ Bobcat Stadium.

As far as what this Herder fella thinks…..as others have pointed out his comments don’t ‘line up logically’. If um can’t stop the run and the replacement of their QB production is in question big time, how can he rank them above not only us but JMU?

We’ll see….GO CATS!
Wait, won't they win the defensive game because they have Hauck on defensive, definitely a buck award?
Last year, Ifanse had to spread around his defensive backfield hits. This year he'll be able to narrow his focus on Bäwbaè Jr. :lol: \:D/
Nice. Maybe Bawbae Jr. will actually force a fumble vs. MSU instead of just getting credit for forcing a fumble. (They gave a FF to him instead of Sandry on the play where Estes recovered the second fumble of the first MSU drive.)

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:08 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:35 am

What was your favorite Naequan Parker memory?
So that was fast.... Reasons? Did he not like his chances on the field or didn't like the snow?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:13 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

:lol:

FTG- GO CATS GO!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:33 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:

MSU Offense; Brott our best OL and Sessions, who left, Kassis & Jonsen our 2 best WR’s, & Logan Jones.
MSU Defense; DL Marks & Sterk...ouch on both, LB Josh Hill, both Safeties Alleyene & Konkol...ouch again, 2 CB’s Washington & Filer
Are you sure about Filer? Pretty sure he injury-redshirted in 2019, and his name is still on the roster right now.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:40 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:33 pm
The MICKSTER wrote:

Are you sure about Filer? Pretty sure he injury-redshirted in 2019, and his name is still on the roster right now.
Yeah Filer is still here.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:47 pm

If the vaccine is not distributed until late spring the number of fans allowed in the stadium will not support playing the season. That is why I think it will not happen.
I can't imagine how someone like EWU, PSU, or SUU can afford it. Sac St has already opted out.

2024 Resume dominance

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:21 pm

I know Sac State doesn't get a lot (or really any) press but this is a HUGE entry into the transfer portal. Bland was the best returning corner in the league by quite a bit...

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:36 pm

Wonder if he's be a good fit for the Bobcat program...

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:51 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:36 pm
Wonder if he's be a good fit for the Bobcat program...
Looks like the coaches jumped on him quickly, but so did a lot of others...including some FBS programs.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:02 pm

I don't know the ins and outs of the rules, but what would prevent a guy like this from playing a "free" season this spring somewhere, then next fall transferring somewhere else and playing right away? Is that within the rules?

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:06 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:02 pm
I don't know the ins and outs of the rules, but what would prevent a guy like this from playing a "free" season this spring somewhere, then next fall transferring somewhere else and playing right away? Is that within the rules?
Without a waiver, BSC has a sit out a year. But I thought there was something in the works to grant blanket waivers for all players this year.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:09 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:02 pm
He may be trying to get on a roster now. There will be fewer roster positions available after the second signing day.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:47 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

Lol. I remember seeing both #10's standing side by side in the fall scrimmage, and spending about 20 seconds figuring who was who. So, yeah. I do actually have a memory to submit as favorite. :wink:

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:54 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:40 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:33 pm
The MICKSTER wrote:

Yeah Filer is still here.
My bad.....I noticed he was listed as a Senior on the 2019 Roster and thought he wouldn't be returning. He's currently listed as a Redshirt Senior. That is great news! I thought he was a good CB, especially in coverage. GO CATS!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:13 pm

Thomas and Filer at corner. Manning, Ulloa at safety. Okada at nickel. Lots of other dudes in the secondary. Lost a lot, but lots in waiting. Be interesting to see how that develops. Same for DL, but I'm more concerned there than DBs. Hard to say what kind of talent is skulking along the perimeter of this team.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:29 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:04 pm
Odd choice. Could’ve done better, imo.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:07 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:13 pm
Thomas and Filer at corner. Manning, Ulloa at safety. Okada at nickel. Lots of other dudes in the secondary. Lost a lot, but lots in waiting. Be interesting to see how that develops. Same for DL, but I'm more concerned there than DBs. Hard to say what kind of talent is skulking along the perimeter of this team.
Yep, agree. I remember in 2018 when we graduated Tyrone Fa’anono, Tucker Yates, and Zach Wright on the DL, I was thinking no way in hell we were going to replace that talent with as good as they were. I think we were better there in 2019 :shock: . True depth, and will be interesting to see who else emerges along the DL. Based on Choate's history and his focus on D, I'm guessing the Cats will be rock solid there once again.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:19 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:29 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:04 pm
Odd choice. Could’ve done better, imo.
Nebraska's leading Slot receiver announced he was leaving about a week ago. Transferring to be closer to his mother. Top receiver by far and a big drop off in talent after him. They say they are different types of receivers but they did take a big hit.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:47 am

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:19 pm

I just read on twitter that the Cats and griz have chosen not to play the 6game BSC Spring schedule but will schedule a couple of games to be determined later. This was a decision made for the health of the athletes having to practice outside in winter weather in February and with no indoor practice facility...in short.