Fall Brawl

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Fall Brawl

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:56 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:54 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:21 pm
I agree with pretty much everything Vim said. McKay is the real deal and should be a good Big Sky quarterback, but I am worried about his decision making. He seems to throw into coverage a lot. I think he had a couple of completions to receivers with 3 to 4 defenders around the receiver. Not sure if that is sustainable.

Also would have liked to see Mellot throw the ball a little. His arm and accuracy is going to surprise a lot of people.
He is the real deal but you are worried about his decision making....k bud.
Felt his decision making was still better than Tucker and Casey today. Sure, Matt had some high throws but he at least moved the offense fairly consistently in a variety of ways. Casey and Tucker threw interception directly into coverage. Matt at least gave his receivers a chance. And again guys...wind definitely had an effect today so that's why I wanted to see how Matt operating within the running game as well as through the air and I came away impressed. We just don't have a running threat with Tucker or Casey so I think if Matt can continue to gel with his receivers (he clearly already has chemistry with Coy), it's pretty clear he's the best option at QB because he can do more within the offense.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:59 pm

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:13 pm

Based on the small sample of this scrimmage, I would prefer Bauman as the 2nd stringer.

McKay’s mobility and quick release really set him apart.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:18 pm

People arguing about bobcat football!!!! This is starting to feel normal around here!

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:06 pm

Well thank goodness there won’t be any wind in February, March, or April. Just kidding Vim, couldn’t resist.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:12 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:13 pm
Based on the small sample of this scrimmage, I would prefer Bauman as the 2nd stringer.

Don't give up on Rovig yet, he's only won 11 games! :D

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:39 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:59 pm
Colter the link doesn't work.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:58 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:46 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:58 am
Really like McKay's style, can't help but think he must be a bit of a history buff.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:47 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:46 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:58 am
Really like McKay's style, can't help but think he must be a bit of a history buff.
I don't think this is actually Matt McKay by the way. I think a friend produced this account while he was still at NC State.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:27 pm

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:58 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:27 pm
Is it just me this link isn't working for?

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:05 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:12 pm
RobertoGato wrote:

I'm probably in the minority but after watching the scrimmage, Rovig is still my starter. That said, if there is no wind and McKay hits those wide open deep shots I probably change my mind but I just didn't see the accuracy on the deep balls from him and I think that's what our offense sorely needs. He also missed McCutcheon a couple times when he was wide open over the middle and at least one would have been a TD. We have enough rbs that I don't feel we need the qb who is a "true" running threat and Rovig moves well enough. Of course its also tough to say for any of the blue QBs because they didn't really get multiple drives in a row so they might not have been in rhythm as much. IF we have a spring season it will be very interesting which direction they decide to go, steady eddie or potential.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:12 am

technoCat wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:05 am
catsrback76 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:

I'm probably in the minority but after watching the scrimmage, Rovig is still my starter. That said, if there is no wind and McKay hits those wide open deep shots I probably change my mind but I just didn't see the accuracy on the deep balls from him and I think that's what our offense sorely needs. He also missed McCutcheon a couple times when he was wide open over the middle and at least one would have been a TD. We have enough rbs that I don't feel we need the qb who is a "true" running threat and Rovig moves well enough. Of course its also tough to say for any of the blue QBs because they didn't really get multiple drives in a row so they might not have been in rhythm as much. IF we have a spring season it will be very interesting which direction they decide to go, steady eddie or potential.
How did you feel Bauman played? Just curious. This was a very small sample size but the format of the scrimmage kind of set up the QBs to struggle with continuity from the beginning and find who could get settled in the best over the course of the day.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:05 am

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:36 am

technoCat wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:58 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:27 pm
Is it just me this link isn't working for?

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:18 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:12 am
technoCat wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:

How did you feel Bauman played? Just curious. This was a very small sample size but the format of the scrimmage kind of set up the QBs to struggle with continuity from the beginning and find who could get settled in the best over the course of the day.
Plus, as Vim pointed out earlier, the wind had to have been a factor. I live exactly 2 miles southwest of campus and the wind was absolutely howling (as it is again today.....). I am anxious to see if the new BAC has an affect on the wind through the stadium once it is fully up.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:15 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:20 am

HelenaCat wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:18 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
technoCat wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:

Plus, as Vim pointed out earlier, the wind had to have been a factor. I live exactly 2 miles southwest of campus and the wind was absolutely howling (as it is again today.....). I am anxious to see if the new BAC has an affect on the wind through the stadium once it is fully up.
Gosh, I just dont think the BAC will be tall enough to block any wind. But, I have not seen it in person. I am not here to say anything negative about the BAC. Its awesome and going to be huge for the program. I just dont think it will be big enough to block any wind. Also, so much wind comes through the northwest gap in the stadium.

Hating the griz since 02.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:30 am

btribby wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:20 am
HelenaCat wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:18 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
technoCat wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:

Gosh, I just dont think the BAC will be tall enough to block any wind. But, I have not seen it in person. I am not here to say anything negative about the BAC. Its awesome and going to be huge for the program. I just dont think it will be big enough to block any wind. Also, so much wind comes through the northwest gap in the stadium.
That's kind of what I think too. It could be 200 feet tall and I think wind is going to shoot through that gap. Even if the stadium was completely enclosed, wind is going to get in, and then it is going to swirl and be even more unpredictable. I might be wrong but it seems like the only way to not have wind in Bozeman is to play inside.

I feel like the Bobcats are set up to have a great home field advantage based on different wind conditions at Bobcat Stadium. Knowing which end to start from, knowing parts of the field that might not be as affected by wind, knowing when to bait an opposing team into a throw they shouldn't make, and obviously having a good running game to keep the ball out of the wind.