Big 10 is Back-- how about the Big Sky

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Big 10 is Back-- how about the Big Sky

Post by onceacat » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:12 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:46 pm
thefrank1 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:54 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:05 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:39 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:31 pm
:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: I’m not sure why people would rather argue about Covid and then actually talk about football.

If both the Mountain West and the PAC 12 play, what are the chances that the Bobcats play football this season
Zilch. We can't afford the required testing and what conference do we belong to? The conference won't allow any members, as of today, to play. Do you think the Left Coast PAC 12 plays a game this year? Seriously. They're the same ones blaming all the damn forest fires on logging...
The PAC 12 is going to play. They will announce Thursday they are starting October 24th same as the Big Ten.
And that still won't change the facts that we have no conference to play in nor the resources to protect the athletes without butts in the seats. Its a business decision.
Agreed. No FCS schools can afford a season without fans. If there were large TV deals in place they could, but that's not the case. Just as it's all about the money in the FBS, it's all about the money in the FCS as well. Just the opposite way.
There are maybe ten or a dozen schools that could swing it. MSU/UM. JMU. NDSU, Youngstown, Ill st, UNI...probably a couple more MVFC teams, Harvard/Yale...maybe a couple other CAA teams.

I bet you could do a single FCS "Haves" conference & make it work. Denny Washington might finance the whole thing. It might be a really cool super-conference.

But there are some teams in FCS (and the BSC) that aren't 100% certain that they are going to make payroll, so paying for testing isn't going to happen.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:22 am

-but there are some teams in FCS (and the BSC) that
-aren't 100% certain that they are going to make payroll,
-so paying for testing isn't going to happen.

So you are saying PSU, EWU, UNC, California schools, UI, ISU, WSU, and who else?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:58 am

There are going to be some schools in the FCS that wont even have a football program anymore next year...at all. I am prepared to go without Bobcat football until next fall, and I believe that will be the case.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:12 am

onceacat wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:12 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:46 pm
thefrank1 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:54 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:05 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:39 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:31 pm
:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: I’m not sure why people would rather argue about Covid and then actually talk about football.

If both the Mountain West and the PAC 12 play, what are the chances that the Bobcats play football this season
Zilch. We can't afford the required testing and what conference do we belong to? The conference won't allow any members, as of today, to play. Do you think the Left Coast PAC 12 plays a game this year? Seriously. They're the same ones blaming all the damn forest fires on logging...
The PAC 12 is going to play. They will announce Thursday they are starting October 24th same as the Big Ten.
And that still won't change the facts that we have no conference to play in nor the resources to protect the athletes without butts in the seats. Its a business decision.
Agreed. No FCS schools can afford a season without fans. If there were large TV deals in place they could, but that's not the case. Just as it's all about the money in the FBS, it's all about the money in the FCS as well. Just the opposite way.
There are maybe ten or a dozen schools that could swing it. MSU/UM. JMU. NDSU, Youngstown, Ill st, UNI...probably a couple more MVFC teams, Harvard/Yale...maybe a couple other CAA teams.

I bet you could do a single FCS "Haves" conference & make it work. Denny Washington might finance the whole thing. It might be a really cool super-conference.

But there are some teams in FCS (and the BSC) that aren't 100% certain that they are going to make payroll, so paying for testing isn't going to happen.
I think if MSU/um could afford a season (or even a game or two) without fans the BSC wouldn't have barred all schools from playing this fall. The MT schools would have lobbied for a postponed conference schedule with the ability to schedule non-conference games independently and probably won that. Since that wasn't the result I think we realized we couldn't pull it off so we went along with pushing everything to the spring.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!