Hero Sports Best #17 in FCS?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

JDoub
Member # Retired

Hero Sports Best #17 in FCS?

Post by JDoub » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:52 pm

Akem I can get on board with, but #17

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Hero Sports Best #17 in FCS?

Post by FTG247365 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:21 pm

JDoub wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:52 pm

Akem I can get on board with, but #17

I looked through every FCS roster, only 1 player w/#17. He wins by default.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:39 pm

I know we like to give him hell, probably as much because of his blood lines, but Colter (who I think is very objective) was giving him a lot of praise on a recent podcast too. Said he’s one of the best open field tacklers in the Big Sky amongst some other praise. He has struggled it seems with the Cats but I’ve watched him play well in other games. Cal Poly comes to mind where he blew up that stud FB they had.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:19 pm

For what it's worth, Kevin Kassis on the R&R Cat Cast said he thinks Jaden Smith will rewrite the record books, he's #17.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:32 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:39 pm
I know we like to give him hell, probably as much because of his blood lines, but Colter (who I think is very objective) was giving him a lot of praise on a recent podcast too. Said he’s one of the best open field tacklers in the Big Sky amongst some other praise. He has struggled it seems with the Cats but I’ve watched him play well in other games. Cal Poly comes to mind where he blew up that stud FB they had.
Yea I guess my frame of reference is Cat-Griz and a few small views of other games, and maybe it's because I played the same position and overly-critical of myself and other S, but what I have seen is almost ALL bad play - bad angles, poor coverage, always a step late, etc etc. Yes, he is a solid tackler when his teammates box a runner in or funnel a ball carrier to him, and he seems solid in the open field, as far as tackling.

But wow, starting with TD #1 on the Cassis reverse and continuing on almost every Bobcat big gain/TD, he was out of position, sucked the wrong way, over pursued, off-balance, trucked, and otherwise out-classed. He was a weak link. He looks the opposite of Colt Anderson to me.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:18 pm

Yea I respect what anyone says here. I’m not an expert by any means. I know the family a little bit through my wife and he seems like a really good young man. He must be doing something right in my opinion to be making all these conference and national lists. I think he’s just had some rough games against Cats.

bobcatozzy
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bobcatozzy » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:54 pm

Sports writer for Hero sure likes stroking the griz.

Rest In peace dad.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:15 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:18 pm
Yea I respect what anyone says here. I’m not an expert by any means. I know the family a little bit through my wife and he seems like a really good young man. He must be doing something right in my opinion to be making all these conference and national lists. I think he’s just had some rough games against Cats.
The Griz defence is set up to funnel everything to Hauck and the inside linebacker, so that is why he gets so many tackles. Watched every game the hriz played last year, and he had some good games, but had to many bad games to be considered "Elite FCS (not even Elite Big Sky). His numbers jump out, and so that gets him on the list. He has terrible angles, and can't actually cover if it isnt a zone scheme... This is just my opinion (but I am right...so)

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:30 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:15 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
The Griz defence is set up to funnel everything to Hauck and the inside linebacker, so that is why he gets so many tackles. Watched every game the hriz played last year, and he had some good games, but had to many bad games to be considered "Elite FCS (not even Elite Big Sky). His numbers jump out, and so that gets him on the list. He has terrible angles, and can't actually cover if it isnt a zone scheme... This is just my opinion (but I am right...so)
Can you imagine how many tackles Konkol would have had in that scheme?

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:27 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:30 pm
SACCAT wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
No kidding, there is not one thing that Hauck is better than Konkol at. If Hauck was the best tackler in the league I will eat my hat. Colter can say it 100 more times but it doesn't make it so.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:45 pm

seataccat wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:27 pm
Cataholic wrote:
SACCAT wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
No kidding, there is not one thing that Hauck is better than Konkol at. If Hauck was the best tackler in the league I will eat my hat. Colter can say it 100 more times but it doesn't make it so.
Konkol was one of my favorite Bobcats of the last couple decades. Tough as nails, a hell of a good player, and had a mean streak that I think we needed. He was 1000x the player Hauck will ever be. The only thing I could possibly criticize about him is, he had hands like bricks - if he could have caught better, he probably would have had another 10 interceptions in his career. Sure did manage to get it right during the Beatdown in Bozeman this past year, though! =D^
Last edited by BozoneCat on Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GO CATS GO!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:11 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:39 pm
I’m not as hard on Hauck as some. And I obviously didn’t watch all the griz games last year. But I watched a lot of them including the Brawl obviously. If Robby is considered one of the best open field tacklers in the conference, I’d be shocked. Bad angles aside, he didn’t have the speed.

This is obviously VERY good for the Cats run game because if we did that to the best the big Sky has to offer, that bodes very well for us. I would assume that most backs in the conference, one on one in the open field with Hauck, no help, they’d LOVE their chances.

All that said, I still maintain I was impressed with how Robby and Dante played the Brawl. They left it all out there until the final gun. That was not the case with many of their teammates.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:16 pm

seataccat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
SACCAT wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Colter never said Hauck was a better open field tackler than Konkol.

seataccat

Post by seataccat » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:58 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:16 pm
seataccat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
SACCAT wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Uh what? Where did I say he did.

Voltaire

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:17 am

:suds:

Norsky19
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Norsky19 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:17 am

IMHO, Hauck does more with less than most. He is small and skinny and brings it. You gotta respect that. No fear. Granted, I think he's overrated but he's an overachiever. He seems the type you would want covering your back in an old fashioned R Bar brawl. (old R bar not yuppie Cali R-Bar....)
He's no where near Konkol in value though but we would be glad to have him if he were a Cat. ;)

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:36 pm

seataccat wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:58 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
seataccat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
SACCAT wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Directly above my post? The one that I quoted?

"If Hauck was the best tackler in the league I will eat my hat. Colter can say it 100 more times but it doesn't make it so."

seataccat

Post by seataccat » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:33 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:36 pm
seataccat wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:58 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
seataccat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
SACCAT wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Directly above my post? The one that I quoted?

"If Hauck was the best tackler in the league I will eat my hat. Colter can say it 100 more times but it doesn't make it so."
Hmmm, again neither Colter or I said that. However, he did say Hauck was the best tackler in the league, which was what I was referring to and Konkol was in that league. I personally don't think Hauck is half the player Konkol was, tackling included.

Voltaire