Big 12/SEC/ACC play....

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Norsky19
BobcatNation Letterman

Big 12/SEC/ACC play....

Post by Norsky19 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:31 am

Lots of TV exposure for these 3 conferences if they decide to have a Fall season. Any guesses on how that impacts the rest of college football? Recruiting? Interesting times.......

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Re: Big 12/SEC/ACC play....

Post by The Butcher » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:28 am

Norsky19 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:31 am
Lots of TV exposure for these 3 conferences if they decide to have a Fall season. Any guesses on how that impacts the rest of college football? Recruiting? Interesting times.......
The reverse could be said about the Big 10, Pac 12, etc. in the spring. Big time exposure with those three conferences not playing at the same time. I am not sure they will be able to complete a fall season, so spring might still payoff big.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:47 am

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:28 am
Norsky19 wrote:
The reverse could be said about the Big 10, Pac 12, etc. in the spring. Big time exposure with those three conferences not playing at the same time. I am not sure they will be able to complete a fall season, so spring might still payoff big.
Spring football is a huge risk for the players. It's a mistake.

Cancel, or play in the fall. No spring football.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:10 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:47 am
The Butcher wrote:
Norsky19 wrote:

Whole heartedly agree.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:49 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:10 am
bobcat99 wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Norsky19 wrote:

Whole heartedly agree.
The thing that everyone is forgetting is all the extra practices these guys (including NDSU) are going to get for the entire team. If they play a partial season in the fall and still shut down, Money says they all still play spring ball for a short season, more practice time and Spring Playoffs. We always talk about FCS Playoff teams getting the extra practice time, well that is exactly what this will be. Yeah, it may be hard on the players, but the Power Conferences know that they need to play.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:25 am

We are going to need a donation of a million or two for a practice bubble that we should have had years ago.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:36 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Norsky19 wrote:

Whole heartedly agree.
Yep. As much as I selfishly want football, and REALLY wanted it this fall; spring does not seem smart to me. And I think coaches and players know that as well and why they're so frustrated.

All I know is I better never hear again about how everything we do is for the "players safety" if they make them play football this spring and then again a few months later for fall. That would be a complete joke.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:44 am

Just my uneducated 2 cents. Even if a guy does not have a major injury one would think the beating the body takes for a season would require more than 3 months to recover fully. Lots of time in the ice bath, bariatric chamber, massage, etc..

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:58 am

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:49 am
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Norsky19 wrote:

Whole heartedly agree.
The thing that everyone is forgetting is all the extra practices these guys (including NDSU) are going to get for the entire team. If they play a partial season in the fall and still shut down, Money says they all still play spring ball for a short season, more practice time and Spring Playoffs. We always talk about FCS Playoff teams getting the extra practice time, well that is exactly what this will be. Yeah, it may be hard on the players, but the Power Conferences know that they need to play.
If they're going to cancel fall football under the guise of player/individual safety, then how can they justify spring football followed by fall football again? It doesn't make any sense at all!

Campus's are opening up for classes, but they can't play football? Why not?

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:59 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:36 am
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Norsky19 wrote:

Whole heartedly agree.
Yep. As much as I selfishly want football, and REALLY wanted it this fall; spring does not seem smart to me. And I think coaches and players know that as well and why they're so frustrated.

All I know is I better never hear again about how everything we do is for the "players safety" if they make them play football this spring and then again a few months later for fall. That would be a complete joke.
This guy here gets it.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:07 am

The players in most conferences are already forming groups and taking issue with player safety protocols amid the pandemic. There is no way in hell those same players will just say oh yeah sure let's play in the spring then the fall again. What the NCAA and most conferences seem to forget is these guys aren't uneducated morons who will do whatever people tell them. Sure for a long time student athletes didn't have a voice, but that has changed big time and they are going to be vocal come spring as well.

For those who point to the video the Cats put out recently and say players want to play in the spring, what did you expect the players to say in a public video with their head coach?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:27 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:07 am
The players in most conferences are already forming groups and taking issue with player safety protocols amid the pandemic. There is no way in hell those same players will just say oh yeah sure let's play in the spring then the fall again. What the NCAA and most conferences seem to forget is these guys aren't uneducated morons who will do whatever people tell them. Sure for a long time student athletes didn't have a voice, but that has changed big time and they are going to be vocal come spring as well.

For those who point to the video the Cats put out recently and say players want to play in the spring, what did you expect the players to say in a public video with their head coach?
Choate has already strongly hinted that there won't be spring football either (see his Zoom press conference earlier this week). The whole "postponed" fall season is just another PR move to calm the masses.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:37 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:59 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:36 am
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Norsky19 wrote:

Whole heartedly agree.

This guy here gets it.
Agree with both of you. And let’s not forget, there are plenty of NFL hopefuls that are not going to risk an injury in the spring right before or during the Combine (which is usually late February). What does this do to the Senior Bowl and other huge games for nfl hopefuls as well.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:09 pm

Yeah, I don't think spring football is a realistic option. At least in Montana, I don't think spring practice could start any earlier than March 1. Even if you cut that down to only 2 weeks, start the season in mid to late March, and play only 7-8 conference games with an 8 team / 3 week playoff, that takes you to late May, allowing only only 2 months for an off-season before summer/fall practice starts approximately August 1. A schedule like that just doesn't seem very feasible to me.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:35 pm

They have the money to bubble. Or they’ll bail. I think the Kentuckys, So. Carolinas and Iowa States will drag them down. But they got money. Especially ACC n SEC.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber