Favorite stretch of Bobcat football

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Favorite stretch of Bobcat football

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:25 pm

Yeah, it's gonna be awhile before anyone sees MSU football action. Not sure how much time this will fill, but I thought I'd try a new twist on the old favorite play thread.

What's your favorite stretch of MSU football? This isn't just one play or one series, but a stretch of a game that maybe covered 3-4-5 possessions.

I haven't put a whole lot of thought into this yet, but here's one of mine:

In 2018, MSU out-gains UM 121-3 and outscores them 14-3 over a six-minute span in the fourth quarter to go from down 25-15 to up 29-25.

UM had the ball 1st and Goal on the MSU 10. The Griz had just strung together a long drive on the heals of four long third down conversions seemingly destined for the end zone. After an incomplete pass and run for no gain, UM was again in third and long, but this time Tucker Yates sacks Sneed for a seven-yard loss. MSU holds UM to a FG and it's 25-15.

MSU goes 75 yards in seven plays with Travis Jonsen hauling in three passes for 73 yards on the drive. Bobcats score and its now 25-22.

UM runs two plays with the second being a forced fumble/fumble recovery by Grant Collins giving MSU the ball at the UM 35. The Cats score to take the lead when Andersen pitches to Jones for a 13-yard TD after what looked like a devastating holding call two plays earlier.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Favorite stretch of Bobcat football

Post by Darth Yoda » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:58 pm

Looking forward reading some ass-whooping stretches from the historians in the group, but I'll just toss in the first 20 minutes of last year's Brawl. Cats out-gained the granola bears 133 to 45 and took a 24-0 lead. That was really fun.

I'll also toss in some props for the defense in last year's Brawl and mention the entire second half stretch. After the grizz put 14 on the board before half and the entire halftime narrative centered around how the Cats came back from 22 points on the road the previous year, the defense pitched a shutout. The grizz drive summary in the second half is as follows: punt, punt, turnover on downs, INT, punt. Game over. That's a nice defensive stretch right there folks.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:33 am

Love this thread!

I’ll toss out the improbable comeback against NAU back in the early 2000’s. Lulay drives the team downfield to score quickly, followed by the best onside kick I’ve ever seen recovered by Corey Smith, and when the Cats got the ball back, everyone in the stadium knew that Travis was going to lead the Cats to the W.

GO CATS GO!!!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:39 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:58 pm
Looking forward reading some ass-whooping stretches from the historians in the group, but I'll just toss in the first 20 minutes of last year's Brawl. Cats out-gained the granola bears 133 to 45 and took a 24-0 lead. That was really fun.

I'll also toss in some props for the defense in last year's Brawl and mention the entire second half stretch. After the grizz put 14 on the board before half and the entire halftime narrative centered around how the Cats came back from 22 points on the road the previous year, the defense pitched a shutout. The grizz drive summary in the second half is as follows: punt, punt, turnover on downs, INT, punt. Game over. That's a nice defensive stretch right there folks.
Yes, I loved the second half as well, especially the first two UM possessions. UM ran 24 plays for 27 yards in the second half. Nice comeback!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:41 am

BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:33 am
Love this thread!

I’ll toss out the improbable comeback against NAU back in the early 2000’s. Lulay drives the team downfield to score quickly, followed by the best onside kick I’ve ever seen recovered by Corey Smith, and when the Cats got the ball back, everyone in the stadium knew that Travis was going to lead the Cats to the W.
That was awesome. The drive prior to that was very long as I recall. Down 17-7 and it seems like it was an 80 yard drive that took up a bunch of time, so only option was onside kick. Ball rolled like a can of beans on the onside kick, never caught a tip and tumbled around. Crazy, just crazy!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:08 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:41 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:33 am
Love this thread!

That was awesome. The drive prior to that was very long as I recall. Down 17-7 and it seems like it was an 80 yard drive that took up a bunch of time, so only option was onside kick. Ball rolled like a can of beans on the onside kick, never caught a tip and tumbled around. Crazy, just crazy!
Never forget it. That was in 2003, my buddy's parents were in town for parent/family weekend. Disgusted by the Cats underwhelming performance up until the comeback started, he left when the score was 17-7 in the 4th to go grab an early supper with them. I never let him live it down that he missed one of the greatest Lulay performances of all time.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:06 am

The comeback win against NAU in 2003 or 2004. The score, onside kick, Lulay running for 30 and the QB sneak with seconds left.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:45 pm

gtapp wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:06 am
The comeback win against NAU in 2003 or 2004. The score, onside kick, Lulay running for 30 and the QB sneak with seconds left.
In my best Pat Summerall voice... "Thanks John"

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl: