Choate on move to spring, state of college football

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Choate on move to spring, state of college football

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:02 pm

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Choate on move to spring, state of college football

Post by Common Cat » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:48 pm

So I just watched this. All I’ll say is- Choate is a treasure for Montana State.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:18 am

oedipuss
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by oedipuss » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:16 am

So when do those tickets go on sale? Asking for a friend

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:18 am
Make the tickets a cool $1,000 and I guarantee they sell out.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:18 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:18 am
Make the tickets a cool $1,000 and I guarantee they sell out.
I think this is a classic reverse auction situation. Start them at $10k and see how far you get in a few days, then move to $9k, etc. Eventually, perhaps very quickly, there will be a fast and furious run when fans decide they might miss out. It would be hard to audit who the Cat fans are and who the grizz fans are in real time...

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:29 am

I really enjoy listening to Choate speak. He speaks from the heart, isn't afraid to hurt peoples' feelings, and he comes off as genuine, which is tough to find these days.

What really sucks about this spring deal is the fact that we are going to have to watch the FBS play in the fall. That tells me this isn't about the health of the players like the BSC presidents have said. Rather it tells me that schools not counting MSU, EWU, UM, & Weber, just don't value their football programs and it has proven too big a hassle season after season for them. There is a flip side as well for all the FBS schools going forward with the fall season. You can't tell me that the FCS is playing because they value their football players or their views on instagram or twitter. They are playing because they know that their respective colleges depend on the revenue in order to help them fund many aspects of their universities. I agree with their thought process though, if they want to play and they have teams to play against let them play.

It all sucks, because in the long run I really think this whole deal will hurt FCS football more than any other sport at any level. I think the trickle down affect of not having FCS fall football and all the revenue that comes along with fall football, could hurt enrollment and the long term sustainability for some schools. Bad deal all the way around.

If your left, you aren’t right.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:09 am

Choate always gives good press conferences but this is one of his best. He gave a lot of good information (especially if you read between the lines) that you won't get anywhere else because nobody else is this open. The players, the school, the alumni, the conference and college athletics in general are lucky to have him representing them.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:49 pm

Not sure if this article was posted yet. Choate is an impressive leader.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 94152.html

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:12 am

More of what Coach said in his Athletic interview ...

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 6901a.html

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:52 pm

MSU will be lucky to get 4000 a game in the spring unless tickets are basically HS football prices. Spring season is a terrible idea at the FCS and FBS level, for varying reasons. FCS reason because you still want a strong season ticket base next fall. Asking people to go to 10 or 11 home games in between March and mid-November, and then maybe playoff home games, seems too much to ask of an FCS fan base.

FBS because any decent player who is draft-eligible and a likely draft pick isn’t going to play. Guarantee that means, for example, no Penei Sewell or Jevon Holland, both preseason first-team All-Americans and juniors, for Oregon. I got a refund on my Duck tickets I split with some friends, but the DAF contribution isn’t refundable. Is there a similar athletic fund obligation for Bobcat season tickets?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Phat Daddy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Phat Daddy » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:07 am

I'm uncertain if this thread is about Choate's comments, players, revenue to MSU or some combination of the aforementioned.

I'll add my 2 cents whether it matters or is wanted, but I'm entirely UNsupportive of any spring season for a multitude of reasons, with the most prominent being player safety. It is irrational to think we can have the practice quality necessary to compete in the spring given our climate and conditions. More importantly, there is absolute certainty that COVID-19 will have far less impact on any season than the the short turnaround of spring to fall for the physical and mental well being of each athlete.

The BSC is kicking the can down the road for alumni engagement and to help the coaches maintain a modicum of control within its large population of student athletes. To assume otherwise seems obtuse. I understand their intent, motive and rational, but we are all mentally unaligned to support any shred of a season in the spring of 2021. DONATE everything from 2020 and match each dollar you contributed to 2021. That is the only conceivable way I can envision to sustain our program and maintain some form of pole position in the FCS. Go Cats Go!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:37 am

Papa and Phat I appreciate and agree with your opinions. However, I’d like to hear from the players first. Aside from Trevor Lawrence it seems like hardly any input is out there. I see little outreach by admin, coaches, boosters, media soliciting player input. I’m a little disheartened by that. It’s all money this and injury that coming from people like us.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:38 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:37 am
Papa and Phat I appreciate and agree with your opinions. However, I’d like to hear from the players first. Aside from Trevor Lawrence it seems like hardly any input is out there. I see little outreach by admin, coaches, boosters, media soliciting player input. I’m a little disheartened by that. It’s all money this and injury that coming from people like us.
There have been a ton of players saying that they want to play this fall.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:56 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:38 am
TomCat88 wrote:
And also plenty saying they don't want to play. Opinions from football players on how to handle the virus are surely just as varied as the opinions of the general public.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:14 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:56 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:38 am
TomCat88 wrote:
And also plenty saying they don't want to play. Opinions from football players on how to handle the virus are surely just as varied as the opinions of the general public.
Sure, which is why some have opted out of playing. Nobody is forcing them too.

I'm just responding to Tom saying that players outside of Lawrence haven't been heard. I've seen a lot of players across football be vocal, and the vast majority want to play.