Dixie State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Dixie State

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:26 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:50 pm
"It's better to burn out, than to fade away"

It's also better to burn out than it is to rust. I don't know what that has to do with college football but I'll use an excuse at hand to drop into a Neil Young binge listening session. Thanks for getting me started on that this evening.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:29 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:50 pm
"It's better to burn out, than to fade away"

It's also better to burn out than it is to rust. I don't know what that has to do with college football but I'll use an excuse at hand to drop into a Neil Young binge listening session. Thanks for getting me started on that this evening.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:53 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:07 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:57 pm
“Did I fire six shots or only five?”
Are you talking about golf or at a riot?
For me golf, and that is just the first tee...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:16 am

RickRund wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:53 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:07 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:57 pm
“Did I fire six shots or only five?”
Are you talking about golf or at a riot?
For me golf, and that is just the first tee...
"Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a . 44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?"

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:49 pm

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:58 am

I hope we don't reschedule this game until they change the name of their university. I see it is being considered. I don't think it'll happen.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:22 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:58 am
I hope we don't reschedule this game until they change the name of their university. I see it is being considered. I don't think it'll happen.
Lol

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:32 am

iaafan wrote:
Oh Christ.

If your left, you aren’t right.

grizgirl
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizgirl » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:58 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:32 am
iaafan wrote:
Oh Christ.
You mean Oh 'Church of Jesus' Christ 'and Latter Day Saints'?' Dixie State is so named because "Settlers from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, many of them from the South, moved to the St. George area in the 1800s." https://www.sltrib.com/news/nation-worl ... niversity/
University leaders, along with the Utah System of Higher Education, are in the early stages of discussing a potential name change, but the Republican-controlled state Legislature would have the final say. A final decision likely wouldn’t come until legislators meet in January, said system spokesperson Trisha Dugovic.

Go Dark Brandon!!

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:01 am

The whole cancel culture group and the left trying to erase history are pathetic, that’s what I mean.

If your left, you aren’t right.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:31 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:01 am
The whole cancel culture group and the left trying to erase history are pathetic, that’s what I mean.
Way beyond PATHETIC. Wondering how hard some of these people have to think to find something to be offended by...

msubobcats@outlook.com

grizgirl

Post by grizgirl » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:13 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Excellent point!!!

Yes, it's pathetic that there has to be a cancel culture. You'd think people would just figure this stuff out on there own and make the name change without being asked. So obvious.

Go Dark Brandon!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:20 pm

Based on some wikipedia reading it looks like the locals are the reason the name hasn't changed yet. The professors are pushing for a change (shocked face) but the people that have lived there for generations don't want to discard their history. The school tried to get into the UofU system and the name was part of why that didn't work out. I don't know if the they already have a conference to join in the future but if not I'd be surprised if a name change wasn't a requirement to get into one.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:52 pm

grizgirl wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:13 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Excellent point!!!

Yes, it's pathetic that there has to be a cancel culture. You'd think people would just figure this stuff out on there own and make the name change without being asked. So obvious.
So what's next? Where does this ridiculous PC madness stop? Winn-Dixie grocery stores will be forced to change their names or close? Ever single Dixie Chicks CD in existence will be destroyed? Dixie Cups will be forced to change their brand or be put out of business? I thought you were a common sense poster. Turns out you're yet another brainwashed liberal granola bear. I'm convinced that liberalism is a mental disorder that addles all forms of common sense. I am so over it.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:47 pm

I think all anyone needs to do is take racist things out of their name and problem solved. Seems reasonable. It’s just a name. What’s in a name? I could care less what my name is. It doesn’t define me and it’s not who I am. Stube is a bar or hall in German. If you’re a bar owner, then you’re a stuber. My dad owner a bar, so his name - in a way - defines him. But not really. He was more than just a stuber. I’m proud of him for that, but not surprised as so few names define anything or anyone.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:27 pm

I’ve been to Saint George Utah and I’ve met some of the people that work at Dixie State University and I feel obligated to let everyone know people that work at that school are kind warm and generous friendly and some of the nicest most genuine people you’ll ever meet

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:27 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:47 pm
I think all anyone needs to do is take racist things out of their name and problem solved. Seems reasonable. It’s just a name. What’s in a name? I could care less what my name is. It doesn’t define me and it’s not who I am. Stube is a bar or hall in German. If you’re a bar owner, then you’re a stuber. My dad owner a bar, so his name - in a way - defines him. But not really. He was more than just a stuber. I’m proud of him for that, but not surprised as so few names define anything or anyone.
So TomCat88 if a person is driving through a certain town and maybe wanted a cold one where should we stop if you don't mind me asking?

msubobcats@outlook.com

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:07 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:27 am
TomCat88 wrote:
So TomCat88 if a person is driving through a certain town and maybe wanted a cold one where should we stop if you don't mind me asking?

The Northern Bar in Hinsdale. My parents had a calendar mirror. Calendar on one side, mirror on the other. It would spin on its base stand. On the calendar side it said, “turn over to see a friend of ours.” And you’d see yourself. #MAGA

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:51 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:07 pm
RickRund wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:27 am
TomCat88 wrote:

The Northern Bar in Hinsdale. My parents had a calendar mirror. Calendar on one side, mirror on the other. It would spin on its base stand. On the calendar side it said, “turn over to see a friend of ours.” And you’d see yourself. #MAGA
That bar is now called Stoughies! Very good food!

toM StUber

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:05 pm

grizgirl wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:13 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Excellent point!!!

You are right TomCat and Grizgirl everyone should just change their name, its so obvious what is right and that is the right thing to do. You two could start by being good examples. Be sure to vet the new name carefully with people of all creeds, colors, political and religious affiliation, sexual orientation, country of residence and country of origin, language, socio-economic status, heritage, military, education, activist background, historical context for at least the last 500 years etc. etc. etc. Choose carefully.

TomCat you are proud of your family name and rightfully so. But a German family name struck fear into the hearts of many of Jewish heritage just a hundred years ago. And even though long past and even if your family was not in Germany it is time to eliminate that possible impact on those around you. Since your family roots are “Stubers”, think of the conflict it causes with those who are struggling to recover from alcoholism each time you proudly display your “bar owner” name…or the mother from M.A.D.D. whose son has been killed by a drunk driver just like thousands of others every year all due to your heritage. Yep, time to move on to change that name to more benign meaning.

Grizgirl, you know better than to use a “non-gender neutral” moniker/alias in times like this! How could you?! You are woke enough to understand that. And where do you get off using “griz” in a name? Griz is short for grizzly and is derived from “grizzled”, i.e. reflecting on the silver or gray streaking on a bear. But over the years has been used to refer to the elderly as “grizzled old buggers” or other inappropriate demeaning derivations. While appropriate for bear description it is not appropriate to use for your silver haired fans…”ageism” at its worst! Stick to the proper terminology Ursus Arctos Horribilis. I know it will be a little tougher to get on a helmet or cheerleader sweater but at least not offensive to the older fans around the state.

Missoula, this proud and beautiful Salish word is a far cry from the name of a grimy concrete city. The city must change its name or start paying a head tax to the Salish nation for this extreme egregious example of “cultural misappropriation”. Grizgirl, you can lead the fight for change…live your values girl….ooops!

Bozeman isn’t exempt and I suggest has to go. How can we continue to use a name associated with the “Bloody Bozeman Trail” which for years brought thousands of settlers into Montana and the construction of numerous military forts to conquer the native peoples and destroy their way of life.

Montana, is a derivation from the Spanish. There is no way people on the “left coasts” (nor should we) tolerate a name derived from a people that completely destroyed a native population in Mexico and central America to the point they no longer exist and then conquered areas of the southern U.S. from Florida to California….and yet we honor them in our name!! My gosh! And where do those who call yourself a “proud Montanan” get off when your ancestors destroyed an entire way of life for many Indian nations.

Grand Tetons, I would prefer we use the proper English translation rather than hiding behind some translation of a French name to be naïve, prim and proper. But maybe I won’t go there……..or some will think it sexist. But I would enjoy seeing the English translation on all the maps. At least we should use the Shoshoni definition and pay them part of the National Park entry fee.

Of course, the above was written tongue in cheek with full sarcastic intent.

I can keep going but my point is that it’s not all “black and white”…..errrr its not all “pearly snow and midnight”. We can all choose to be offended by any number of words/names in our society to the point we just walk around offended all the time. I guess I will choose to be less offended and appreciate the history, struggles and proud heritage of this nation and the different cultures and people therein. I will be more concerned about the actions of the people today that might raise my ire….rather than any forefathers who did what they did within the morays of their times….and we are no less guilty establishing morays and examples today in our own attempt to display how self righteous we are (but will be judged by future generations). I know, I know…..I understand there are people today that think we should all be offended by what they are offended by with little consideration of their impact on society around them and how they offend….oh well.

I didn’t live in or visit southern Utah like TomCat to appreciate the fine warm people there but I did live in Dixie on six different occasions and different locations (among 15 moves and cultural experiences) over a 40 year span and I too met many fine, warm, nice people without the least affiliation of what happened over a century and half ago. They are proud people just like we are and I enjoyed learning about their culture and history. And I didn’t attack them for their history nor did they attack me for mine.