Dominoes start to fall.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Dominoes start to fall.

Post by onceacat » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:56 pm

MAC cancels fall sports, Big 10 & PAC 12 likely to follow.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/08/p ... llustrated

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: Dominoes start to fall.

Post by PapaG » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:06 pm

I still think a spring season is a bad idea. Cancel all sports this academic calendar year, get a firm grasp on the financial situation, and hopefully get things revved up again next fall. Is it possible the “spring season” thing is hopeful thinking combined with something for donors and players to look forward to until it doesn’t happen? Lots of transferring and lost money if donors and players think they have to wait until next fall.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

bobcat09
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bobcat09 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:57 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:06 pm
I still think a spring season is a bad idea. Cancel all sports this academic calendar year, get a firm grasp on the financial situation, and hopefully get things revved up again next fall. Is it possible the “spring season” thing is hopeful thinking combined with something for donors and players to look forward to until it doesn’t happen? Lots of transferring and lost money if donors and players think they have to wait until next fall.
This is kind of what I have been thinking. If the season is moved to the spring for us, what months will we actually be able to play in. Cannot play in Jan or Feb because of the snow and negative temps, March is also iffy. So that would leave April and May for the best bets to play. The biggest question I have is what a spring season will do to a fall 2021 season and what if a player suffers a season ending injury during the spring season and there is only 3 months before the next season. Normally if a season ending injury was sustained in the fall, the player would typically be ready close to beginning of the next season.
There are a ton of what ifs for this but I do think just cancel all sports for this school year and just see how everything plays out.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:07 pm

bobcat09 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:57 pm
PapaG wrote:
This is kind of what I have been thinking. If the season is moved to the spring for us, what months will we actually be able to play in. Cannot play in Jan or Feb because of the snow and negative temps, March is also iffy. So that would leave April and May for the best bets to play. The biggest question I have is what a spring season will do to a fall 2021 season and what if a player suffers a season ending injury during the spring season and there is only 3 months before the next season. Normally if a season ending injury was sustained in the fall, the player would typically be ready close to beginning of the next season.
There are a ton of what ifs for this but I do think just cancel all sports for this school year and just see how everything plays out.
How do you run the scholarships? Do the seniors play in the spring, then get kicked out?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:12 pm

bobcat09 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
I doubt you can see anything but playoffs and post season in May. Based on a "normal" school schedule finals would be first week of May. Typically all spring sports are wrapping up as the spring semester completes.

That means for an 8 game season you are looking at games in March and April with practice beginning in February.

It is not going to work in northern hemisphere.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:21 pm

allcat wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:07 pm
bobcat09 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
How do you run the scholarships? Do the seniors play in the spring, then get kicked out?
Tough luck for the seniors. They still have their scholarships and hopefully get their degrees. Here in Oregon fall sports are cancelled so those HS seniors lose their eligibility. Hoping for a March start but that’s not going to happen. These are kids actually paying to play football through fees losing their senior season.

What a ride

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:28 pm

The NCAA gave all athletes that missed spring sports this year another year of eligibility. They will have to do that for fall sports too if they don't play them at all. If they don't they will have lawsuits up the wazoo. They will also have to allow expanded rosters for 4-5 years and additional scholarships for that time as well.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:45 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:28 pm
The NCAA gave all athletes that missed spring sports this year another year of eligibility. They will have to do that for fall sports too if they don't play them at all. If they don't they will have lawsuits up the wazoo. They will also have to allow expanded rosters for 4-5 years and additional scholarships for that time as well.
Holy crap. I think Kevin Thompson was starting his 7th year of eligibility at UW as a grad transfer this year. That would give home 8 years to play 4 :shock:

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:47 pm

kcatz wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:12 pm
bobcat09 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
I doubt you can see anything but playoffs and post season in May. Based on a "normal" school schedule finals would be first week of May. Typically all spring sports are wrapping up as the spring semester completes.

That means for an 8 game season you are looking at games in March and April with practice beginning in February.

Remember that MSU had 2 buildings collapse in March of last year. We aren’t playing football in Bozeman in March.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:54 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:47 pm
kcatz wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:12 pm
bobcat09 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Remember that MSU had 2 buildings collapse in March of last year. We aren’t playing football in Bozeman in March.
March, 2019 had historic snow fall going back 50+ years. I dont recall any snow this March that stayed on the ground.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:03 pm

PapaG wrote:
I agree about spring season...but where are they going to transfer? The chances of anyone playing football this fall are <25% & Americans aren’t allowed into any of the countries that have gone back to playing sports, like Canada & Western Europe.

I feel really bad for these kids. They’ve been totally screwed by their leadership.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:33 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:45 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Holy crap. I think Kevin Thompson was starting his 7th year of eligibility at UW as a grad transfer this year. That would give home 8 years to play 4 :shock:
Ha no kidding. Dude should probably have a medical degree by the time he leaves UW if he gets yet another year.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:21 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Scholarships are yearly and there will be some battles in spring practice, because the spring season makes no sense, for scholarships. Sucks for the players but tens of millions are out of work now and struggling.

What a ride

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:17 pm

Mountain West postpones fall sports.

https://406mtsports.com/college/footbal ... 9ec82.html

bobcatskier
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bobcatskier » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:37 pm

And now the Big10 votes to postpone all fall college sports...including football....

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:56 pm

I say Costello and Choate put feelers out and get as many FCS teams as possible that still want to play together, and play for the Rona League Championship this fall. 9 games beginning the 2nd weekend of September with 1 bye week built in. Teams play 7 regionalized regular season games and 2 out of region games. Tourney starts the 21st of November and the championship is December 12th. All of the tourney games are played at Allegiant Stadium in Vegas and the 16 tourney teams head to Vegas for the duration of their time in the tourney on November 19th. Winner gets 250k to their athletic scholarship fund and a giant trophy of a mask and face shield.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:12 pm

And now PAC 12 out.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:16 pm

FCS can't afford to test the players and FBS can't afford to test the players' resolve.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:43 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:16 pm
FCS can't afford to test the players and FBS can't afford to test the players' resolve.
Well put, sir!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:31 am

Looks like the Big 10 is out...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.