NCAA Decision on Fall Championships

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

NCAA Decision on Fall Championships

Post by CelticCat » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:12 am

Is to basically pass the decision to someone else. Classic NCAA:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... ligibility

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: NCAA Decision on Fall Championships

Post by CelticCat » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:14 am

The biggest takeaway - If 50% or more of eligible teams in a particular sport in a division cancel their fall season, there will be no fall NCAA championship in that sport in that division.

Some very interesting financial implications:

All student-athletes must be allowed to opt out of participation due to concerns about contracting COVID-19. If a college athlete chooses to opt out, that individual’s athletics scholarship commitment must be honored by the college or university.

Member schools, in conjunction with existing insurance standards, must cover COVID-19 related medical expenses for student-athletes to prevent out-of-pocket expenses for college athletes and their families.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:27 am

The divisions must determine by Aug. 21 whether their respective fall sports seasons and NCAA championships should occur this year.
So I guess that means we won't know if there will be football this fall until August 21st.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:37 am

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:27 am
The divisions must determine by Aug. 21 whether their respective fall sports seasons and NCAA championships should occur this year.
So I guess that means we won't know if there will be football this fall until August 21st.
The spread of the virus here in the US seems to be cresting, so I'm optimistic we'll have a season and playoffs. I think we'll get to Aug 21 and some of the schools and conferences that canceled will wish they could take it back.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:54 am

Per Craig Haley, right now there are 111 playoff eligible teams in the FCS. 70 remain in the mix who have not postponed or cancelled yet, but a lot of those teams are in conferences that haven't made a decision yet. The magic number would be 56 teams agreeing to play and move forward.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:14 am

UCONN just announced they are canceling their football season. More G5 programs to follow suit?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:32 pm

PapaG wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:14 am
UCONN just announced they are canceling their football season. More G5 programs to follow suit?
This isn't too surprising. UConn is an independent FBS team and I assume that all their games are considered OOC games by opponents. With a 3-21 record over the last 2 seasons, they don't have the prestige of a Notre Dame that can get a temporary conference invite for the upcoming season.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:41 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:54 am
Per Craig Haley, right now there are 111 playoff eligible teams in the FCS. 70 remain in the mix who have not postponed or cancelled yet, but a lot of those teams are in conferences that haven't made a decision yet. The magic number would be 56 teams agreeing to play and move forward.
Like those odds actually. I still maintain there will be football. I couldn't see the NCAA coming up with any other decision. The next couple weeks are going to be nerve-racking.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:06 pm

Good lord..... just make a Decision! For fkyck sake. This is ridiculous

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:30 pm

I really think this is a misperception in college athletics. The NCAA runs nothing. They are a membership organization that exists to execute championships. The only relevance currently is for the NCAA Tournament and the FCS playoffs. They do not run the College Football Playoff.

RMD
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by RMD » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:35 pm

The NCAA has canceled all fall seasons for DIV 2 and 3

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:08 pm

RMD wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:35 pm
Geezus. I maintain there is a massive overreaction going on here. Yes, I understand the concern, but mainly concern over potential litigation. Let everyone get back to their normal lives. Let kids go to school and play sports. Let the fans come and watch, but do so at their own risk. Old people and people with underlying health issues should stay home and watch on TV. Again, geezus.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:24 pm

RMD wrote:
I don't believe this was the NCAA's choice, they left it up to whatever governing body was in charge of those divisions.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:01 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:30 pm

I really think this is a misperception in college athletics. The NCAA runs nothing. They are a membership organization that exists to execute championships. The only relevance currently is for the NCAA Tournament and the FCS playoffs. They do not run the College Football Playoff.
That seems to not be true. They make teams vacate wins that have nothing to do with championship. They penalize teams for recruiting infractions. It would seem that delve into much more than championships.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:24 am

catatac wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:08 pm
RMD wrote:
Geezus. I maintain there is a massive overreaction going on here. Yes, I understand the concern, but mainly concern over potential litigation. Let everyone get back to their normal lives. Let kids go to school and play sports. Let the fans come and watch, but do so at their own risk. Old people and people with underlying health issues should stay home and watch on TV. Again, geezus.
Yep.

Looking forward to that one conference that leads all the others and does just what you suggested. The fear so far in regards to football isn't the virus, but how people will react to the decisions they make. I'd love to see the Big Sky step up, play football, allow fans, and let those fearful, older in age, or with other health issues enjoy the games from home.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:52 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:24 am
catatac wrote:
RMD wrote:
Yep.

Looking forward to that one conference that leads all the others and does just what you suggested. The fear so far in regards to football isn't the virus, but how people will react to the decisions they make. I'd love to see the Big Sky step up, play football, allow fans, and let those fearful, older in age, or with other health issues enjoy the games from home.
I agree except for the bolded. If you allow fans, then you're probably allowing asymptomatic (maybe even symptomatic) carriers into the game. They spread Covid to others at the game, who bring the virus home and spread it, and then spread it elsewhere (schools, hospitals, daycares, nursing homes, etc.). Unless you mean fans that are masked and only seated in every 4-5 seats, I don't think it's a good idea to have fans at the game.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:25 am

ilovethecats wrote:
catatac wrote:
RMD wrote:
Yep.

And what about the safety of the players?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:31 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:52 am
ilovethecats wrote:
catatac wrote:
RMD wrote:
Yep.

I agree except for the bolded. If you allow fans, then you're probably allowing asymptomatic (maybe even symptomatic) carriers into the game. They spread Covid to others at the game, who bring the virus home and spread it, and then spread it elsewhere (schools, hospitals, daycares, nursing homes, etc.). Unless you mean fans that are masked and only seated in every 4-5 seats, I don't think it's a good idea to have fans at the game.
Well, you know my stance! 8)

So no, I was talking about letting people get on with it. I concede that probably won't happen. Still way too much fear out there.

I'll concede, if my choice is no football or football without fans I'll take football 10 out of 10 times. If my choice is no fans at all, or fans "socially distanced" with masks, I'll socially distance with masks 10 out of 10 times.

It's getting borderline bananas to me anymore. But like most things in life, fear will win out and the rest of us just trying to live our lives will have no choice but to play along. I mean, if we don't be careful we might end up with 6-7 people in the hospital and that's not a risk we should take. :-^

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:43 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:25 am
ilovethecats wrote:
catatac wrote:
RMD wrote:
Yep.

And what about the safety of the players?
Healthy young people are extremely unlikely to be susceptible to the 'Rona, much less even develop symptoms. As a reminder, I'll just post this here...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bozema ... 3.amp.html

And for all the horrible backlash and shaming that Sweden got for taking their "establish herd immunity" approach, the below numbers seem to suggest it may have worked, when looked at from a long-term approach. Obviously the jury is still out, we'll find out when this is all over.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/sweden/

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:52 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:52 am
ilovethecats wrote:
catatac wrote:
RMD wrote:
Yep.

You're certainly welcome to your opinion. This argument reminded me of this piece from Bill Maher, which I completely agree with.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!