Long Island

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

GRIZFNZ
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:02 pm

Re: Long Island

Post by GRIZFNZ » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:21 pm

[-(
btribby wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:22 pm
When a Conference cancels a football season, why cant any of those schools within those conferences go out and schedule their own games?
I don’t think there’s anything that would prevent them from it, but they (schools wising to play) would likely be responsible for all the aspects of the game (financial, officiating, advertising, press coverage, etc) that the conference takes care of. I’d bet there’s some sort of BSC liability insurance policy that coverers member schools which would not be in place if the conference as a whole cancels the season.

Given the financial constraints that teams are facing with cancelled guarantees and likely half empty (or worse) stadiums, I’m not sure it would be fiscally prudent to play without conference affiliation.



ibleedblue
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Long Island

Post by ibleedblue » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:20 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:27 am
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:02 am
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:40 am
wapiti wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:13 am
For these games where our opponent has cancelled the game, does that count as a forfeit by them? So we now get to mark a W in the win column.
Unfortunately I don't think so. If so, Portland State already has 2 wins against Pac-12 teams.

I also wonder how the contract buyouts work for these games. Will we receive our check from Utah? Does Long Island have to buyout due to canceling?
I think this falls under the Act of God clause so the slate is wiped clean for any game impacted.
I would imagine there will be legal decision that needs to be made. For example, it's not like Utah is canceling their entire season, they have just chosen to cancel non-conference games. If they cancel on us but still play games, I think it could be argued they should be required to pay the buyout.
The majority of teams who were going to earn $ from a non-conf payout game will not see those $ due to contractual language around the “act of God” clause. I also read something recently that the majority of contracts added another clause just last tvwould allow teams to get out of their buyouts for a pandemic situation like we are seeing. EWU was set to get 750K for their Florida game. Already been determined they won’t see a dime of it even though Florida will play a conference only slate.



User avatar
Cledus
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4546
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:18 pm
Location: Billings Heights

Re: Long Island

Post by Cledus » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:26 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:20 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:27 am
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:02 am
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:40 am
wapiti wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:13 am
For these games where our opponent has cancelled the game, does that count as a forfeit by them? So we now get to mark a W in the win column.
Unfortunately I don't think so. If so, Portland State already has 2 wins against Pac-12 teams.

I also wonder how the contract buyouts work for these games. Will we receive our check from Utah? Does Long Island have to buyout due to canceling?
I think this falls under the Act of God clause so the slate is wiped clean for any game impacted.
I would imagine there will be legal decision that needs to be made. For example, it's not like Utah is canceling their entire season, they have just chosen to cancel non-conference games. If they cancel on us but still play games, I think it could be argued they should be required to pay the buyout.
The majority of teams who were going to earn $ from a non-conf payout game will not see those $ due to contractual language around the “act of God” clause. I also read something recently that the majority of contracts added another clause just last tvwould allow teams to get out of their buyouts for a pandemic situation like we are seeing. EWU was set to get 750K for their Florida game. Already been determined they won’t see a dime of it even though Florida will play a conference only slate.
And then there's the problem of suing schools (like MSU suing Utah). Other schools will see that and probably not want to schedule an opponent if they think they're going to get sued.

Same principle of why you never sue and employer even if you're right. It's career suicide.


UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

User avatar
coloradocat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: Long Island

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:40 pm

Cledus wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:26 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:20 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:27 am
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:02 am
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:40 am
wapiti wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:13 am
For these games where our opponent has cancelled the game, does that count as a forfeit by them? So we now get to mark a W in the win column.
Unfortunately I don't think so. If so, Portland State already has 2 wins against Pac-12 teams.

I also wonder how the contract buyouts work for these games. Will we receive our check from Utah? Does Long Island have to buyout due to canceling?
I think this falls under the Act of God clause so the slate is wiped clean for any game impacted.
I would imagine there will be legal decision that needs to be made. For example, it's not like Utah is canceling their entire season, they have just chosen to cancel non-conference games. If they cancel on us but still play games, I think it could be argued they should be required to pay the buyout.
The majority of teams who were going to earn $ from a non-conf payout game will not see those $ due to contractual language around the “act of God” clause. I also read something recently that the majority of contracts added another clause just last tvwould allow teams to get out of their buyouts for a pandemic situation like we are seeing. EWU was set to get 750K for their Florida game. Already been determined they won’t see a dime of it even though Florida will play a conference only slate.
And then there's the problem of suing schools (like MSU suing Utah). Other schools will see that and probably not want to schedule an opponent if they think they're going to get sued.

Same principle of why you never sue and employer even if you're right. It's career suicide.
I don't think there would be an issue with MSU suing Utah if we were going to win but we're not so we won't.

The issue would be if a team tried to sue as a test case or to try to get public sympathy (I wouldn't put either past some struggling programs). Then they should definitely have trouble scheduling in the future.



onceacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1755
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: Long Island

Post by onceacat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:14 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:40 pm
Cledus wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:26 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:20 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:27 am
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:02 am
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:40 am
wapiti wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:13 am
For these games where our opponent has cancelled the game, does that count as a forfeit by them? So we now get to mark a W in the win column.
Unfortunately I don't think so. If so, Portland State already has 2 wins against Pac-12 teams.

I also wonder how the contract buyouts work for these games. Will we receive our check from Utah? Does Long Island have to buyout due to canceling?
I think this falls under the Act of God clause so the slate is wiped clean for any game impacted.
I would imagine there will be legal decision that needs to be made. For example, it's not like Utah is canceling their entire season, they have just chosen to cancel non-conference games. If they cancel on us but still play games, I think it could be argued they should be required to pay the buyout.
The majority of teams who were going to earn $ from a non-conf payout game will not see those $ due to contractual language around the “act of God” clause. I also read something recently that the majority of contracts added another clause just last tvwould allow teams to get out of their buyouts for a pandemic situation like we are seeing. EWU was set to get 750K for their Florida game. Already been determined they won’t see a dime of it even though Florida will play a conference only slate.
And then there's the problem of suing schools (like MSU suing Utah). Other schools will see that and probably not want to schedule an opponent if they think they're going to get sued.

Same principle of why you never sue and employer even if you're right. It's career suicide.
I don't think there would be an issue with MSU suing Utah if we were going to win but we're not so we won't.

The issue would be if a team tried to sue as a test case or to try to get public sympathy (I wouldn't put either past some struggling programs). Then they should definitely have trouble scheduling in the future.
Also, Utah didn’t cancel the game, the PAC 12 did. It’s hard to imagine a case against Utah even getting a hearing. This is a pretty clear issue of force majeur. It would be the same as if the SLC government prohibited the game.

MSU has zero standing.



User avatar
BobCatFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1310
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Long Island

Post by BobCatFan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:04 am

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:02 am
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:40 am
wapiti wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:13 am
For these games where our opponent has cancelled the game, does that count as a forfeit by them? So we now get to mark a W in the win column.
Unfortunately I don't think so. If so, Portland State already has 2 wins against Pac-12 teams.

I also wonder how the contract buyouts work for these games. Will we receive our check from Utah? Does Long Island have to buyout due to canceling?
I think this falls under the Act of God clause so the slate is wiped clean for any game impacted.
Man made virus. No act of God in this pandemic.



catscat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1430
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:13 pm

Re: Long Island

Post by catscat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:31 pm

BobCatFan wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:04 am
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:02 am
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:40 am
wapiti wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:13 am
For these games where our opponent has cancelled the game, does that count as a forfeit by them? So we now get to mark a W in the win column.
Unfortunately I don't think so. If so, Portland State already has 2 wins against Pac-12 teams.

I also wonder how the contract buyouts work for these games. Will we receive our check from Utah? Does Long Island have to buyout due to canceling?
I think this falls under the Act of God clause so the slate is wiped clean for any game impacted.
Man made virus. No act of God in this pandemic.
In addition, it's hard to imagine it's an act of God when they are only cancelling non-conference games. God has something against non-conference games?????



User avatar
60's Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:24 pm

Re: Long Island

Post by 60's Cat » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:36 am

If the Cats have a season a Utah will have to pay.


Image

User avatar
Cledus
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4546
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:18 pm
Location: Billings Heights

Re: Long Island

Post by Cledus » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:46 pm

60's Cat wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:36 am
If the Cats have a season a Utah will have to pay.
Maybe the way to go after this money is to sue the PAC-12.


UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

User avatar
PapaG
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6435
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:44 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Long Island

Post by PapaG » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:09 pm

btribby wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:22 pm
When a Conference cancels a football season, why cant any of those schools within those conferences go out and schedule their own games?
They can. James Madison is attempting to do so even though the CAA canceled conference play.

https://www.whsv.com/2020/07/17/caa-off ... -the-fall/

CAA officially suspends football season, JMU still planning to play in the fall


Greg K.

User avatar
PapaG
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6435
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:44 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Long Island

Post by PapaG » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:13 pm

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:21 pm
[-(
btribby wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:22 pm
When a Conference cancels a football season, why cant any of those schools within those conferences go out and schedule their own games?
I don’t think there’s anything that would prevent them from it, but they (schools wising to play) would likely be responsible for all the aspects of the game (financial, officiating, advertising, press coverage, etc) that the conference takes care of. I’d bet there’s some sort of BSC liability insurance policy that coverers member schools which would not be in place if the conference as a whole cancels the season.

Given the financial constraints that teams are facing with cancelled guarantees and likely half empty (or worse) stadiums, I’m not sure it would be fiscally prudent to play without conference affiliation.
The only thing the Big Sky Conference provides financially are refs paid for by members and negotiated TV contracts. UM, MSU, and maybe Weber State and/or Idaho would likely be better off without dragging the rest of the Big Sky programs with them. Look at the football TV games and the main teams who get on air.


Greg K.

User avatar
coloradocat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: Long Island

Post by coloradocat » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:27 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:13 pm
GRIZFNZ wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:21 pm
[-(
btribby wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:22 pm
When a Conference cancels a football season, why cant any of those schools within those conferences go out and schedule their own games?
I don’t think there’s anything that would prevent them from it, but they (schools wising to play) would likely be responsible for all the aspects of the game (financial, officiating, advertising, press coverage, etc) that the conference takes care of. I’d bet there’s some sort of BSC liability insurance policy that coverers member schools which would not be in place if the conference as a whole cancels the season.

Given the financial constraints that teams are facing with cancelled guarantees and likely half empty (or worse) stadiums, I’m not sure it would be fiscally prudent to play without conference affiliation.
The only thing the Big Sky Conference provides financially are refs paid for by members and negotiated TV contracts. UM, MSU, and maybe Weber State and/or Idaho would likely be better off without dragging the rest of the Big Sky programs with them. Look at the football TV games and the main teams who get on air.
Maybe we wouldn't have to use Big Sky refs! [-o<



User avatar
PapaG
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6435
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:44 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Long Island

Post by PapaG » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:59 pm

60's Cat wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:36 am
If the Cats have a season a Utah will have to pay.
Are you funding the legal bills when MSU loses that loser case? MSU would likely pay for Utah’s legal bills, too.


Greg K.

onceacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1755
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: Long Island

Post by onceacat » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:27 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:59 pm
60's Cat wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:36 am
If the Cats have a season a Utah will have to pay.
Are you funding the legal bills when MSU loses that loser case? MSU would likely pay for Utah’s legal bills, too.
Are you suggesting that ‘60s Cats legal advice is 100% wrong? It’s almost like he’s never heard of force majeure. :-k



Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2649
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Long Island

Post by Cataholic » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:31 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:27 pm
PapaG wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:59 pm
60's Cat wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:36 am
If the Cats have a season a Utah will have to pay.
Are you funding the legal bills when MSU loses that loser case? MSU would likely pay for Utah’s legal bills, too.
Are you suggesting that ‘60s Cats legal advice is 100% wrong? It’s almost like he’s never heard of force majeure. :-k
By no means should MSU pursue legal action. We would be hard pressed to get future FBS games.

However, you can’t claim force majeure for just select games. If Utah can play games in California, they could definitely play a home against a Montana team. A legal action would have some merit.



onceacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1755
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: Long Island

Post by onceacat » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:14 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:31 pm
onceacat wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:27 pm
PapaG wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:59 pm
60's Cat wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:36 am
If the Cats have a season a Utah will have to pay.
Are you funding the legal bills when MSU loses that loser case? MSU would likely pay for Utah’s legal bills, too.
Are you suggesting that ‘60s Cats legal advice is 100% wrong? It’s almost like he’s never heard of force majeure. :-k
By no means should MSU pursue legal action. We would be hard pressed to get future FBS games.

However, you can’t claim force majeure for just select games. If Utah can play games in California, they could definitely play a home against a Montana team. A legal action would have some merit.
Their conference cancelled out of conf games for everyone. If Utah had made the decision, Cats would have a case, but since the Utes have been ordered by a higher authority no to play the game, any lawsuit against a Utah would be laughed out the door.



thefrank1
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 728
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Long Island

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:44 am

So we should sue the PAC12 not Utah.


While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Rich K
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3629
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Cody WY

Re: Long Island

Post by Rich K » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:41 am

thefrank1 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:44 am
So we should sue the PAC12 not Utah.
Send in the lawyers. They've been drooling since Covid hit. Courtside seats are taking on a much different meaning.


Image

RationalGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 576
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:39 pm

Re: Long Island

Post by RationalGriz » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:32 am

thefrank1 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:44 am
So we should sue the PAC12 not Utah.
I believe that all P5 contracts contain language that voids the agreement if changes due to conference scheduling procedure. In this case, the conference changed the scheduling procedure to push the season start date back due to Covid. In doing so, they had to drop OOC games to meet the timeline for Conference Championships and Bowl/Playoffs. I really don't see much, if any, path for a lawsuit.



AFCAT
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3073
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Long Island

Post by AFCAT » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:48 am

Image


Help the Cats! Join the quarterback club!!
https://www.bobcatquarterbackclub.com
Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
406-994-2092

Post Reply