High school fall sports a go in Montana

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

High school fall sports a go in Montana

Post by iaafan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:51 am

I realize this isn't Bobcat football, but it's all interconnected in a way.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: High school fall sports a go in Montana

Post by Mtcatfan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:58 am

But probably dependent on whether they open the public schools - which I think is still up in the air.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:16 am

Mtcatfan wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:58 am
But probably dependent on whether they open the public schools - which I think is still up in the air.
The Schools are opening, the only questions are what are they restrictions and how they are going to operate which is up to each local school board.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:51 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:51 am

I realize this isn't Bobcat football, but it's all interconnected in a way.
This is good news, extremely happy they are making it work.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:23 pm

Thank the LORD! I'm so happy to see decisions being made based on all factors including people's mental and emotional health, and not just the positive covid counts.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:14 pm

Good news

FTG- GO CATS GO!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:17 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:23 pm
Thank the LORD! I'm so happy to see decisions being made based on all factors including people's mental and emotional health, and not just the positive covid counts.
I don’t think any decisions have been made just based on positive Covid counts.

I’m not sure why they’re saying “mental and emotional” health. Emotional health is part of mental health. Like saying physical and cardiovascular health. One is a subset of the other.

Obviously it’s only good news if it doesn’t result in an outbreak. The track record around the country isn’t exactly perfect.

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:38 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:17 pm
91catAlum wrote:

I’m not sure why they’re saying “mental and emotional” health. Emotional health is part of mental health. Like saying physical and cardiovascular health. One is a subset of the other.

Obviously it’s only good news if it doesn’t result in an outbreak. The track record around the country isn’t exactly perfect.
If that were truly the case I do not think we would have had the lockdown for everyone.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:00 pm

wapiti wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:38 pm
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

If that were truly the case I do not think we would have had the lockdown for everyone.
and people would've been able to hold and attend funerals for their loved ones... Plenty of examples.
Sometimes I think iaafan and I live in completely different worlds :lol:

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:08 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:00 pm
wapiti wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

and people would've been able to hold and attend funerals for their loved ones... Plenty of examples.
So you both think no consideration was given to the economy, mental health, politics? Just solely Covid counts? Give me a break.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:42 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:08 pm
91catAlum wrote:
wapiti wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

So you both think no consideration was given to the economy, mental health, politics? Just solely Covid counts? Give me a break.
Some decisions, sure. You said none have been made just based on Covid counts, which is what I would disagree with. At least that's what it seems to me.

We're getting so deep into the shutdowns, partial reopens, etc, that mental and emotional well being of people needs to become a much bigger consideration. Its past 4 months now. I'm experiencing more downs/funks lately myself. A friend of mine who works with a suicide awareness organization told me that the suicide rate is at an all-time high right now.
The only point I'm trying to make is that the mental and emotional aspect of all this needs to be a bigger priority the longer this goes on, we're probably in agreement on that.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:15 pm

This is not going to go well.
My organization hires dozens of college students and in the past 24 hours we have had 2 positive tests and currently 7 pending tests. I have never been so stressed about the impact this would have on our staff than I do right this moment.
Unfortunately, I think we will see outbreaks in schools and on sport teams by the end of September.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:12 pm

I have a feeling that since football is so popular, they'll start the season, but it will be shutdown before it's over and that based on that there won't be a basketball season. I think if they don't start the football season, there will be a basketball season. Just my WAG.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:47 pm

Two mlb games were postponed today, I think one postponed and 1 canceled, due to positive tests so baseball may be shortlived.
And Washington HS sports have been rearranged for fall. Nevada HS sports are done for the fall.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:59 am

iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
wapiti wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

When you’ve made a decision that this is about ideology instead of epidemiology, you are going to exclude anything that undermines your narrative. Obviously everyone cares about the economy & mental health effects of our responses. But when the goal is to demonize STEM, people start making absurd statements.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:12 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:42 pm
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
wapiti wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Some decisions, sure. You said none have been made just based on Covid counts, which is what I would disagree with. At least that's what it seems to me.

We're getting so deep into the shutdowns, partial reopens, etc, that mental and emotional well being of people needs to become a much bigger consideration. Its past 4 months now. I'm experiencing more downs/funks lately myself. A friend of mine who works with a suicide awareness organization told me that the suicide rate is at an all-time high right now.
The only point I'm trying to make is that the mental and emotional aspect of all this needs to be a bigger priority the longer this goes on, we're probably in agreement on that.
Do you think that places like Canada, Germany, Hong Kong and New Zealand that have shown competent government responses to the pandemic are also showing high rates of metal problems? Or does it seem plausible that our failure to flaffen the curve despite 4 months of halfhearted efforts & increasing deaths MIGHT have something to do with it?

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:12 am

onceacat wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:12 am
91catAlum wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
wapiti wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Do you think that places like Canada, Germany, Hong Kong and New Zealand that have shown competent government responses to the pandemic are also showing high rates of metal problems? Or does it seem plausible that our failure to flaffen the curve despite 4 months of halfhearted efforts & increasing deaths MIGHT have something to do with it?
Halfhearted efforts? Some states took rather drastic measures and are still seeing high case numbers. The only true was to "beat this" would have been to lock the entire country down for 21 days, no one out of their homes for any reason, no essential workers etc.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:02 am

onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
wapiti wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

There are likely many factors in play here, no disagreement there. But you just so happened to pick some countries that are well above the US in terms of mental health care. I'm not positive about Hong Kong, but the other three are considered the best in the world. So it's not very fair to suggest this is due to how they handled this virus.

Alternatively, it wouldn't be fair to blame ALL our current issues on Covid either. The United States is horrendous at dealing with these issues. Where we struggle more than other countries mainly has to do with finances. In fact, financial issues are one of the biggest causes of mental health issues. So countries that offer free healthcare and education won't suffer as badly when they force people to stop working. That most definitely plays a huge role. In this country very few people can go on living life when they don't have a job or when their kids don't have a school. That likely has played a monster role in why we've seen suicides and domestic violence rise.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:06 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:02 am
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
wapiti wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

There are likely many factors in play here, no disagreement there. But you just so happened to pick some countries that are well above the US in terms of mental health care. I'm not positive about Hong Kong, but the other three are considered the best in the world. So it's not very fair to suggest this is due to how they handled this virus.

Alternatively, it wouldn't be fair to blame ALL our current issues on Covid either. The United States is horrendous at dealing with these issues. Where we struggle more than other countries mainly has to do with finances. In fact, financial issues are one of the biggest causes of mental health issues. So countries that offer free healthcare and education won't suffer as badly when they force people to stop working. That most definitely plays a huge role. In this country very few people can go on living life when they don't have a job or when their kids don't have a school. That likely has played a monster role in why we've seen suicides and domestic violence rise.
Very good post, couldn't agree more.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

Clinton T

Post by Clinton T » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:01 pm

I would have love to have been a fly on the wall in the MHSA meetings on reopening fall sports. I'm sure there was some lively debate! As a young(ish) and healthy educator I am happy to see they made this decision. These kids put in a ton of time training and lifting in the offseason. Not being able to play would be terrible for them. However, (also) as an educator I am scared about what this could do to our schools. I am deeply concerned about the physical and mental health of my students. I keep thinking to myself, "God, if one of my students dies from this crap because they were allowed to play a game..." Then I get thinking about the mental health of my students and staff if a teacher or student dies. I could go on with the what-ifs but I do know if would shake me to my core if I lost a student from something so preventable. Is the risk (potential death) worth the reward (memories, fun, and emotionally health)? I really don't know the answer to that because we don't have a lot of data on teenagers and the virus. When it's all said and done it could be that this virus wasn't particularly bad for adolescents. OR it could be that they are just as susceptible to infection and death as adults. Either way there are risks. Tough decisions. Glad I am not making them.