Bobcat football

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Re: Bobcat football

Post by catgrad05 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:11 pm

Are the players running player led practices this summer like they have in the past?

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:56 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:11 pm
Are the players running player led practices this summer like they have in the past?
I believe they restarted voluntary workouts and can interact with coaches 8 hours a week as well.

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:53 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:12 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:06 am
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:57 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:47 am
Don't know if anyone else saw this but David Pollock from ESPN said he likes the idea of moving the FCS permanently to the spring so there is football year round. Possibly the dumbest thing I've heard about football, ever.
1. I will climb the hill and fight with you.
2. Dumbest idea ever....ever!

I first heard it "pitched " from some FCS assistant coach...he essentially said it is the only way to get TV coverage.

Um...No! FCS football would now compete with MLB, NBA and NHL. Not to mention college baseball and softball and oh this little thing called NCAA basketball.

Dumbest idea ever!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:25 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:47 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:25 pm
I believe that's what the sentiment will be for 90% of teams.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:49 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:56 pm
catgrad05 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:11 pm
I believe they restarted voluntary workouts and can interact with coaches 8 hours a week as well.
I think that’s great news not just from a football sense but from a friendship side. These kids at this point in there lives will remember the days of working hard pushing themselves and others. Life long comradeship will come out of these days. And yes the product on the field will get better as well. But the bonds made in college can be life long relationships and I’m glad they are able to do this

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:30 am

If the season is cancelled until fall 2021, I wonder how many senior players who graduate in the spring of 2021 will opt not to come back and play. Not even sure how that would work - they may have a year of football eligibility left but would that then force them to enter graduate school in order to be eligible to play?

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:50 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:52 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:48 am
If the NCAA ends up cancelling the season or all the conferences cancel, will that provide an additional year of eligibility for the student athletes?
I've been wondering the same thing. They did for the spring sports. It sure seems like there would be a glut of athletes and scholarships with no one leaving and another recruiting class coming in. It will definitely be interesting to see how it all plays out.
I was out of town and didn't realize someone had even tried to answer haha.

Yeah that's an excellent point on the additional class coming in, I wasn't even thinking that far ahead. Are we going to increase roster size for a year? Or does this just backlog the entire system and we will need additional "spots" every year for the next 5 years?

Its a crappy situation for everyone, new kids coming into a weird world and dudes that might completely miss their senior seasons. Could also have a massive impact on the guys that had NFL hopes at our level of football.

I wish i had some answers instead of questions.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:49 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:50 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:52 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:48 am
If the NCAA ends up cancelling the season or all the conferences cancel, will that provide an additional year of eligibility for the student athletes?
I've been wondering the same thing. They did for the spring sports. It sure seems like there would be a glut of athletes and scholarships with no one leaving and another recruiting class coming in. It will definitely be interesting to see how it all plays out.
I was out of town and didn't realize someone had even tried to answer haha.

Yeah that's an excellent point on the additional class coming in, I wasn't even thinking that far ahead. Are we going to increase roster size for a year? Or does this just backlog the entire system and we will need additional "spots" every year for the next 5 years?

Its a crappy situation for everyone, new kids coming into a weird world and dudes that might completely miss their senior seasons. Could also have a massive impact on the guys that had NFL hopes at our level of football.

I wish i had some answers instead of questions.
Thats sort of the deal every high school senior & junior is looking at. A couple months ago, I thought maybe 18 year olds would be inclined to take a "gap year"...but with 12% unemployment, its not like they can find a job...an American passport is worthless right now, so they can't travel...non-profits are getting killed financially, so there aren't a ton of volunteer opportunities...So MAYBE, they go to college anyway?

But the kids who are going into their senior years might have their spots taken up by kids who deferred enrollment for a year...

Its a messed up situation for anyone in HS or undergrad right now.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:56 pm

The easy answer for all involved is for the NCAA to add scholarships over the next five years. If you are graduating HS and college is a good option, you should go now as the economy should be rosier in 4-5 years.

If I were a graduating senior player capable of getting into grad school (and playing an extra year), it is probably a good time to do so unless you have a job lined up.

Common sense has to come into play here. Unfortunately, we are dealing with the NCAA...

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:53 am

Excellent idea if schools can afford additional scholarships.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:03 am

LCH wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:53 am
Right. Unless its changed in the last few years, MSU already struggles to pay for its 63 scholarships. Its not that simple to just add 20 more. Especially this year, if football doesn't happen - how does MSU (and all other schools) pay for scholarships THIS year?

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:39 am

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:03 am
LCH wrote:
Right. Unless its changed in the last few years, MSU already struggles to pay for its 63 scholarships. Its not that simple to just add 20 more. Especially this year, if football doesn't happen - how does MSU (and all other schools) pay for scholarships THIS year?
The Bobcat Club raises funds to pay for athletic scholarships at MSU. Any difference from what money is raised and what is spent is paid out of Athletic Department receipts.

Without any gate fees and ways for the Athletic Dept to raise money then there will be a struggle to cover those funds.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:04 am

kcatz wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:39 am
91catAlum wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:03 am
LCH wrote:
The Bobcat Club raises funds to pay for athletic scholarships at MSU. Any difference from what money is raised and what is spent is paid out of Athletic Department receipts.

Without any gate fees and ways for the Athletic Dept to raise money then there will be a struggle to cover those funds.
Yep - and if the season doesn't happen, the donations to the Bobcat club are going to decrease as well, since most of that money comes from season ticket holders who are required to pay it. Yes, some folks will just donate it even if there isn't a season, but most will want it carried forward to the next season. So this year's Bobcat Club money will be much less than usual IF there is no season.
I really don't see how FCS schools, including UM and MSU, can just add 20 more scholarships to the balance sheet even if the NCAA approved it.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:32 am

When does Fall Camp start?

Hating the griz since 02.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:45 am

btribby wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:32 am
When does Fall Camp start?
Unofficially next Monday.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:53 am

I know it’s been alluded to in another thread, but who are you excited to see return this year?
I sure enjoyed watching James Campbell cover kick off‘s last year. He scoots down the field!
Tyrone Marshall definitely is fast and fluid. Was pretty dangerous on his reverses along with our misdirection.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:54 am

On the running back front besides obviously having Isaiah back. I sure enjoyed watching Lance Sumner and Shane Perry.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:57 am

kwcat wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:54 am
On the running back front besides obviously having Isaiah back. I sure enjoyed watching Lance Sumner and Shane Perry.
I'm looking forward to seeing how we use Jaharie Martin.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:00 am

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:57 am
kwcat wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:54 am
I'm looking forward to seeing how we use Jaharie Martin.
I am as well. I don’t know how many total carries he had last year?
Just looked it up. Looks like 10 carries for 39 yards.