Jeff Welsch Says Fall Football is Toast

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Re: Jeff Welsch Says Fall Football is Toast

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:40 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:34 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:26 pm
Yup. The US is trying to suppress testing.

That's why Florida has tested more people than the entire nation of France. France, has 3x the population of Florida. If we're suppressing testing, we sure are doing a ****** job of doing it. Unless you want to call canceling testing the day after mandating masks...that's actual suppression.
That's what you took from my post? Fantastic.

The POTUS actively stated that he wanted to test less. Then he indicated that he would veto another round of stimulus unless funding for testing was cut. Thankfully (in the last hour) it seems that he has backed off my stance. I hear the bible says I should not quarrel with a fool though, so I'll leave you be...
Trump says a ton of stupid stuff, unfortunately.

However, we can factually state that as a country, we have not suppressed testing. I'd rather go with what we've done rather than what has been said. As we know, it was also said by Fauci and the CDC that masks did nothing to help. Clearly, that has changed. You don't seem to harp on that.

So I'll say it again, without closely following all around the country, the only testing suppression I'm aware of is in the state of Montana where they decided to cancel a lot of tests following the mandatory mask statement. That, my dear friend, is suppression. Let's try to deal in facts, eh?

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:51 pm

bobcat99 wrote:

That's why Florida has tested more people than the entire nation of France. France, has 3x the population of Florida. If we're suppressing testing, we sure are doing a ****** job of doing it. Unless you want to call canceling testing the day after mandating masks...that's actual suppression.
But what does the on-screen CNN telethon death board say about this? People want Trump to be beaten so much that they are experiencing massive amounts of Cognitive Dissonance and can’t see the long-term negative effects on the economy. The goalposts keep moving to keep people subservient to the whims of their politics leaders. Now we’re at “cases” as if “death” and “flatten the curve” never were reasons. I never realized how many people lack critical thinking and just accept what their leaders tell them. Now we have mask-shaming, which is so stupid even Trump is encouraging it.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:05 pm

Sentinel testing in Montana was canceled for asymptomatic people because the turnaround time from Quest Diagnostics has increased to 2 weeks. This is due to testing demand increase around the country because of the resurgence of the virus, not some sneaky plot to make it look like wearing a mask decreases the virus incidence. A 2 week turnaround is virtually useless in finding cases and contact tracing. The State is trying to increase capacity for Covid testing but it takes money, time and trained personnel. I am a Montana State graduate in Microbiology in case you're wondering, and have worked in Clinical Labs my entire life.

Please stop with the mask conspiracy theories. If you want to have some return to normalcy please just wear a mask, they work.

RationalGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RationalGriz » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:12 pm

bobcat99 wrote:

Too bad it takes 7-10 days for results making contact tracing useless.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:13 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:40 pm
coochorama42 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

The POTUS actively stated that he wanted to test less. Then he indicated that he would veto another round of stimulus unless funding for testing was cut. Thankfully (in the last hour) it seems that he has backed off my stance. I hear the bible says I should not quarrel with a fool though, so I'll leave you be...

However, we can factually state that as a country, we have not suppressed testing. I'd rather go with what we've done rather than what has been said. As we know, it was also said by Fauci and the CDC that masks did nothing to help. Clearly, that has changed. You don't seem to harp on that.

So I'll say it again, without closely following all around the country, the only testing suppression I'm aware of is in the state of Montana where they decided to cancel a lot of tests following the mandatory mask statement. That, my dear friend, is suppression. Let's try to deal in facts, eh?
Can you not understand that by testing all comers it caused such a delay in getting results back that it made those results less useful? By limiting the tests to only those who have symptoms the results should come back more timely and allow for earlier treatment of those testing positive.
While doing some business this morning I joined a conversation where some folks were complaining that now the tests are only for those showing symptoms. After listening a while I asked how many of them were planning to get tested but now couldn't. Not one out of all 7 said they'd get tested if they could. I laughed at the bunch of male Karens.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:17 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:40 pm
coochorama42 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

I think you and I might being snarky toward each other for no reason. For my part, I apologize.

You generally seem willing to discuss things now that I reread some things you wrote. Help me understand where you are getting this information about testing suppression in MT, if you do not mind. I've done a couple searches and can find nothing but I might be looking in the wrong places. I am not tolerant of anyone using this pandemic for political gain unless it is earned through excellent, selfless leadership. I feel I've been careful not to demonize the many conservatives and republicans who are taking this seriously. My frustration is with the science deniers.

I understand, especially in Montana, that the economic impact is likely more real than the fear of the actual illness, but having seen this through the lens of having friends and family in NY and Massachusetts, I also see the real devastation of the virus.

Mental illness is a major concern as well. I know this all too well as I've had three suicides in my family over the years and myself deal with severe anxiety and moderate depression. The pandemic has amplified these illnesses, but thankfully I have a good management plan in place and have a strong support network.

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:19 pm

LCH wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:05 pm
Sentinel testing in Montana was canceled for asymptomatic people because the turnaround time from Quest Diagnostics has increased to 2 weeks. This is due to testing demand increase around the country because of the resurgence of the virus, not some sneaky plot to make it look like wearing a mask decreases the virus incidence. A 2 week turnaround is virtually useless in finding cases and contact tracing. The State is trying to increase capacity for Covid testing but it takes money, time and trained personnel. I am a Montana State graduate in Microbiology in case you're wondering, and have worked in Clinical Labs my entire life.

Please stop with the mask conspiracy theories. If you want to have some return to normalcy please just wear a mask, they work.
Thank you. This answers one question.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:26 pm

LCH wrote:

A two-week turnaround still shows who is and has been I nfected. It’s that collapsing death rate as millions are tested that opens eyes as to what is really happening on a mostly non-lethal virus. No further testing, no collapsing death rate. Math.

What a ride

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:31 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:41 am
This is the only pandemic in history where not a single person I know knows of anyone who has died from it. Why is the Left so gleeful about 40 million people out of work based on the daily whims of politicians from both parties. I read people here thinking things are somewhat normal or will be but that simply isn’t the case once the banks start collecting on missed lease, mortgage, and car payments.

All this for a virus that has an almost nil mortality rate for healthy people under age 75. If the new normal is nobody ever gets sick, let’s just call it a day and have a global nuclear war to reboot this craziness.
I really wouldn't ask this of you but since you want names of those who have died from corona from people who claim to know of such people it only seems fair that you'd provide similar information. As you said "This is the only pandemic in history where not a single person I know knows of anyone who has died from it." So this information that I'm sure you so gladly will provide will be posted here soon right? Hop to it PapaG your credibility and level of hypocrisy is at stake here. I'd be okay with you only going back to the 1918 pandemic, though you did say "pandemic in history".

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:33 pm

RationalGriz wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:12 pm
bobcat99 wrote:

Too bad it takes 7-10 days for results making contact tracing useless.
Largely an irrelevant point. That has been the turnaround time for a while. A good while. But now we get to cancel tests and say the masks lowered the cases. And maybe the masks will, I hope they do, but they majorly messed up the data by doing this.

It's just funny. It's Trump's fault we aren't testing enough, but the tests take too long to get results so they're useless. It's all stupid.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:50 pm

If it takes 10 days to get results back then if you are exposed two days later it means the first test is somewhat useless.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:08 pm

It is useless to test asymptomatic people if there is a 2 week wait for results. In 2 weeks time a person could spread Covid to multiple people. One solution may be pooled testing where 10 to 20 samples are pooled, if the test result on the pool is negative all in the pool are negative, if positive all in the pool are individually tested. This would decrease the test volume and tell us what we need to know.

It is Trump's fault we don't have enough testing capacity. He wants to defund testing efforts because more cases make him look like he has botched the response to the virus which he has. He is mostly concerned with getting reelected.

Collapsing death rate? Our death rate has been steadily increasing since the end of June. ICU's are filling in Arizona,Florida and Texas. The Doctors have learned more about treating the disease and have been able to keep more folks off ventilators, but without these better treatments the death rate would be much higher.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:27 pm

LCH wrote:

I still don't understand this. The school my son is attending (in LA County no less) bought testing equipment that gives results within 30 minutes. If that technology is out there, after 6 months how come these labs are so far behind? Not trying to argue, just a question that has been on my mind since Bullock talked about testing lags.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:35 pm

LCH wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:08 pm

It is Trump's fault we don't have enough testing capacity. He wants to defund testing efforts because more cases make him look like he has botched the response to the virus which he has. He is mostly concerned with getting reelected.
Add to that; the Administration has told hospitals to stop sending information to the CDC, but rather the Department of Health and Human Services (whom reports to the White House). The White House will now interpret the information, not the CDC. This move is purely political to help Trump not Americans.

Mtcatfan

Post by Mtcatfan » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:41 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:35 pm
LCH wrote:

Add to that; the Administration has told hospitals to stop sending information to the CDC, but rather the Department of Health and Human Services (whom reports to the White House). The White House will now interpret the information, not the CDC. This move is purely political to help Trump not Americans.
Which is great because helping Trump get elected will help Americans.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:46 pm

I haven’t read more than about 5 posts in this thread. It got political real quick. This may have been posted, but I’m not wading through 6 pages of pro trump/anti-trump, tinfoil hat conspiracies, etc.

It sounds like there are some meetings happening with a lot of the bigger FBS conferences this week/weekend and whatever is decided in those, the Big Sky will likely follow suit.

So my guess is that we will hear some kind of gameplan one way or another within about a week.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:47 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:27 pm
LCH wrote:

I still don't understand this. The school my son is attending (in LA County no less) bought testing equipment that gives results within 30 minutes. If that technology is out there, after 6 months how come these labs are so far behind? Not trying to argue, just a question that has been on my mind since Bullock talked about testing lags.
The 30 minute test sounds like the one using a machine from Abbott labs. In talking with a relative who is a Dr. in a mid sized hospital and a friend who is a Dr. in a very small hospital both of them in MT, they both have used the Abbott machine test with reliable results but say that proper protocol has to be followed very carefully or false reading can easily occur. There are consumables that have been in short supply at times but I don't know if that is a continuing problem. The test sent to a lab is a different test as far as I've been told. I really thought the Abbott test machine was going to be a bigger game changer than it seems to have been. I'm not privy to all the information on testing so this is worth about as much as you paid for it.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:55 pm

Well, there's this.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:20 pm

Science!!

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:23 pm

LCH wrote:
It is useless to test asymptomatic people if there is a 2 week wait for results. In 2 weeks time a person could spread Covid to multiple people. One solution may be pooled testing where 10 to 20 samples are pooled, if the test result on the pool is negative all in the pool are negative, if positive all in the pool are individually tested. This would decrease the test volume and tell us what we need to know.

Collapsing death rate? Our death rate has been steadily increasing since the end of June. ICU's are filling in Arizona,Florida and Texas. The Doctors have learned more about treating the disease and have been able to keep more folks off ventilators, but without these better treatments the death rate would be much higher.
You’re lying about the death rate per cases collapsing. Why should I take anything you say seriously? You already got caught lying about the testing. That’s untrue, as I called a few friends in medical at Billings Clinic and they said it doesn’t take two weeks. What’s your motivation for continued shutdowns and restrictions?

What a ride