Jeff Welsch Says Fall Football is Toast

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Jeff Welsch Says Fall Football is Toast

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:01 am

This is the only pandemic in history that people are suggesting the best way to deal with it was/is to do nothing.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:07 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:01 am
This is the only pandemic in history that people are suggesting the best way to deal with it was/is to do nothing.
Who is suggesting that?

I haven't seen anybody say that.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:15 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:07 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Who is suggesting that?

What's it called when you say something without actually saying it ? Plenty of examples in every thread on this subject.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:37 am

My wife and I have lost two family members to it so far. Both under 70 years old. Both otherwise healthy. Get over yourself, you selfish assh*le.
PapaG wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:41 am
This is the only pandemic in history where not a single person I know knows of anyone who has died from it. Why is the Left so gleeful about 40 million people out of work based on the daily whims of politicians from both parties. I read people here thinking things are somewhat normal or will be but that simply isn’t the case once the banks start collecting on missed lease, mortgage, and car payments.

All this for a virus that has an almost nil mortality rate for healthy people under age 75. If the new normal is nobody ever gets sick, let’s just call it a day and have a global nuclear war to reboot this craziness.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:48 am

Hawks86 wrote:
How is that strawman treating you?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:51 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:15 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:07 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Who is suggesting that?

What's it called when you say something without actually saying it ? Plenty of examples in every thread on this subject.
In that case, this is the only pandemic where people are saying that the best way to deal with it is for each person to live in an individual bubble and never stray from it.

Same logic you're using.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:52 am

Looking at the data in Montana, the number of active cases has declined for the last couple of days and the total number of new cases has hopefully plateaued a bit (under 100 for the past three days). Let's hope this continues and we can have some sports this fall, even as part of a delayed or reduced season! I'm also encouraged by the public response to the mask mandate, I've seen 90+% compliance as I've been out and about in indoor public places the past few days.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:53 am

PapaG wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:48 am
Hawks86 wrote:
How is that strawman treating you?
He's very generous with his pours.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:53 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:37 am
My wife and I have lost two family members to it so far. Both under 70 years old. Both otherwise healthy. Get over yourself, you selfish assh*le.
PapaG wrote:
This is the only pandemic in history where not a single person I know knows of anyone who has died from it. Why is the Left so gleeful about 40 million people out of work based on the daily whims of politicians from both parties. I read people here thinking things are somewhat normal or will be but that simply isn’t the case once the banks start collecting on missed lease, mortgage, and car payments.

All this for a virus that has an almost nil mortality rate for healthy people under age 75. If the new normal is nobody ever gets sick, let’s just call it a day and have a global nuclear war to reboot this craziness.
First, give their names. People can say anything anonymously. I don’t believe you.

Second, what is selfish and assh*lish is you not giving a crap about 40 million out of work for a virus with the mortality rate of influenza, yet with a much older demographic in fatalities.

That’s what is selfish, you’re just too selfish to know it.

What a ride

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:55 am

coochorama42 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

That is very sad, and very unfortunate.

Yet, it doesn't change the facts. For people under that age group, the chances of death are incredibly low. There are people of all ages who die of the flu too. I'm not trying to diminish anybody's death, but we should try to be accurate as well.

And if we really want to talk deaths, at least in the Gallatin, talk to your local first responders. I've heard a few different ones tell me they've had more suicides since the shutdown than Covid deaths. They've seen a large increase in that department. Doesn't make for good news though.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:56 am

PapaG wrote:

A person my brother in-law had done business with has died and was in his 60s, my neighbor lost a friend that was 41, and my coworker lost a family acquaintance that was in his 30s. But go on and pretend that the severity of this global pandemic doesn't exist because you have been fortunate to not been affected by it...

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:01 pm

PapaG wrote:

I don't know a single person who lost their income, job, house, or car (or committed suicide). I guess that means no one has. Hell the company I work for had record sales, so if I apply the bubble logic you're using then the economy is the best it's ever been.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:10 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:01 pm
PapaG wrote:

I don't know a single person who lost their income, job, house, or car (or committed suicide). I guess that means no one has. Hell the company I work for had record sales, so if I apply the bubble logic you're using then the economy is the best it's ever been.
No, there is actual data showing how much of a negative economic impact shutting down businesses for months has on tens of millions. I’m trying to understand your point? People die all the time. This is the first time the economy was deliberately ranked for it.

It sucks that some people have died. Death happens, shockingly. I’m surprised you don’t know a single person who works in the service industry, which was shut down for servers and most cooks outside of takeout in the Seattle metro area for over a month. Blue-collar workers and small business owners don’t matter to you, since you don’t know any. It’s impossible for you to not know anyone out of work, unless you’re a shut-in.

What I don’t get is how so many of you have zero empathy for those who have lost their jobs and businesses.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:18 pm

How’d the Skagit Tulip Festival go this year? Any job losses due to it being canceled? Of course not. @CelticCat doesn’t know anyone in his town.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.wbur.o ... washington

Every year in April, hundreds of thousands of people visit Skagit Valley, Washington, for the Tulip Festival. The annual festivities have been canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic, sending tulip growers into a frenzy.

The Tulip Festival — which officially started in 1984, but has had variations dating back to the early 1900s — is big business. The 30-day event brings in an estimated $65 million in revenue for the region. Family-owned farm Tulip Town was projected to make $1 million in April from the celebration.

Andrew Miller, CEO of Tulip Town, said the farm had to pivot to new sources of revenue quickly in order to make up for the loss — and to be able to consider putting on the festival in 2021

What a ride

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:18 pm

I was clearly being facetious, mocking your point about not knowing anyone who died so it isn't a big deal. I used your logic and applied it to my situation and people I know, and while I was being facetious, it is true. I know teachers but they haven't lost their job or income and can most likely teach online.

Everyone matters to me, small business owners, fast food workers, corporate CEOs. This is a balancing act of trying to control the virus while not completely tanking the economy. When you say things like the Left is gleeful that people are out of work that's just ridiculous.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we all want this to go back to normal. There isn't an easy button.

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:19 pm

Funny, my father-in-law (two tours of duty in Vietnam, retired NYPD Detective, retired Customs/Homeland Security, staunch Republican) has no problem wearing a mask in public and social distancing. Why, you might ask? Because he recognizes that this is not a political issue. Just because you are conservative does not mean that you have to ignore facts or invent them to support your selfish actions.

To summarize:

Cloth masks help other people in case you are infected. It severely impedes fluid flow when you cough, sneeze, yell, chant, etc. Staying a safe distance away from others is still the best prevention method, but masks (and eye protection help some). Cloth masks do not help the wearer much but it helps others a lot.

The POTUS is actively trying to suppress testing. Read any article from a reliable source and you will see that this is true. You cannot blame the "Dems" for making this political and not acknowledge that the "Dems" want to expand testing significantly and employ contact tracing whereas the POTUS is threatening to veto any stimulus package that doesn't cut testing. You cannot blame the "Dems" for making this political and not acknowledge that the "Dems" want to actually test aggressively.

The original shutdown didn't work. People ignored advice and did what they wanted. We still haven't made it out of the first wave of this pandemic. We have made improvements on treatment of the virus, but we do not "know how to treat this virus now". That is a gross overstatement. Remember that just because the death rate of those hospitalized is decreasing does not mean that the long-term effects are being addressed. A significant number of those infected have long-term/permanent heart and/or lung damage. 143,000+ people have died from this virus in the US alone. That is more American deaths (since March) than American deaths in every war, conflict, and terrorist attack combined since World War II. Let that linger for a moment. The Korean War. The Vietnam Conflict. Oklahoma City, Desert Storm. 9/11. The War on Terror. Benghazi. We've had more deaths in this country in the last four months to one virus than in all of these combined.

Science is fluid. Our understanding of the virus and how it has transmitted has changed since we first dealt with it four months ago. If you look at an initial recommendation and think of it as fact, you just don't understand how the world works. As we learn more, we adapt. That's the way the world works. If you want normalcy as soon as possible, the best thing you can do is follow the advice (and mandates) on best practices and convince all those around you to do so as well. I want to watch the Bobcats play football too. I want normalcy as well. Our normalcy and our economic recovery depends on getting through this as quickly and painlessly as possible. The science does not support returning to normal. Science would have everyone stay home (unless a case of emergency) for 21 days and then only return to society with no symptoms and/or testing. Had we done that in March/April, we'd be past the first wave by now. We'd be watching college football in the fall. We would have no need for a second economic stimulus package.

YOU need to stop making this political. I'm married to an independent and already mentioned my very conservative father-in-law. We are able to all speak about this virus together because we deal with facts. Stop pointing fingers and start doing something to help. We need everyone invested to beat this, no matter their political ideology. Right now I don't trust politicians to have the answer. I trust scientists. I think you should too.

cats2506 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:56 am
Its all ******

Even N95 masks are almost worthless, a cloth rag on your face does absolutely nothing. Does anybody notice that when they mandated masks they also told medical providers to reduce testing to only symptomatic and high risk people. Automatically the new case rate will drop and they will point to masks for doing it. The high percentage of false positive tests are fueling the false fear.

The original shutdown was designed to "flatten the curve" and give medical time to gear up, produce more ventilators and develop therapeutics, It worked all of the above. Therapeutics have greatly reduced the hospitalizations and death rate, we no have plenty of ventilators and medical knows how to treat this virus now.

Dems have made this political due to an election year.

I am borderline in the high risk category (58 with other medical condition) I will gladly go to a game in a full stadium next week without a mask, even if it is located in a county with a high infection rate.

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:21 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:53 am
coochorama42 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

First, give their names. People can say anything anonymously. I don’t believe you.

Second, what is selfish and assh*lish is you not giving a crap about 40 million out of work for a virus with the mortality rate of influenza, yet with a much older demographic in fatalities.

That’s what is selfish, you’re just too selfish to know it.
Really? I need to prove myself to you? Do you want their death certificates too?

I care about the economic well being of this nation. My wife lost the job she had lined up and mine is at risk. BUT WE'VE HAD TWO FAMILY MEMBERS DIE OF THIS VIRUS, YOU SELFISH *******. Also the mortality rate of COVID-19 (of diagnosed cases) is - as of the latest data - something on the order of 15-20 times that of the ESTIMATED DEATHS of influenza. Just to be clear, the death rate of COVID-19 in the USA is 3.7% in diagnosed cases. The estimated death rate of influenza is estimated to be 0.1%, but is just an estimate because so few people are actually diagnosed with influenza at the time of their death. It might be much, much lower.
Last edited by coochorama42 on Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:22 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:18 pm
How’d the Skagit Tulip Festival go this year? Any job losses due to it being canceled? Of course not. @CelticCat doesn’t know anyone in his town.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.wbur.o ... washington

Every year in April, hundreds of thousands of people visit Skagit Valley, Washington, for the Tulip Festival. The annual festivities have been canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic, sending tulip growers into a frenzy.

The Tulip Festival — which officially started in 1984, but has had variations dating back to the early 1900s — is big business. The 30-day event brings in an estimated $65 million in revenue for the region. Family-owned farm Tulip Town was projected to make $1 million in April from the celebration.

Andrew Miller, CEO of Tulip Town, said the farm had to pivot to new sources of revenue quickly in order to make up for the loss — and to be able to consider putting on the festival in 2021
I'm very aware of the Tulip festival. My dollars are going to support Skagit businesses right now, including downtown business that are affected by not having the annual craft fair downtown. It's tough right now for the Valley, and I'm lucky my company is doing so well.

Impressive amount of research to try and get a "gotcha" moment out of me though, even though all I was doing was proving that your logic was absurd.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:26 pm

Yup. The US is trying to suppress testing.

That's why Florida has tested more people than the entire nation of France. France, has 3x the population of Florida. If we're suppressing testing, we sure are doing a ****** job of doing it. Unless you want to call canceling testing the day after mandating masks...that's actual suppression.

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:34 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:26 pm
Yup. The US is trying to suppress testing.

That's why Florida has tested more people than the entire nation of France. France, has 3x the population of Florida. If we're suppressing testing, we sure are doing a ****** job of doing it. Unless you want to call canceling testing the day after mandating masks...that's actual suppression.
That's what you took from my post? Fantastic.

The POTUS actively stated that he wanted to test less. Then he indicated that he would veto another round of stimulus unless funding for testing was cut. Thankfully (in the last hour) it seems that he has backed off that stance. I hear the bible says I should not quarrel with a fool though, so I'll leave you be...
Last edited by coochorama42 on Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.