Jeff Welsch Says Fall Football is Toast

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Jeff Welsch Says Fall Football is Toast

Post by wapiti » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:49 am

Those with only half a brain think the shutdown was the only thing to do and mandating a mask is the right thing to do.

Those with a full brain saw the stupidity of the shutdown and the ineffectiveness of a mask mandate.

Asthma medicine is very effective on treating Covid-19.
https://www.hospimedica.com/covid-19/ar ... id-19.html
I believe this is what is being done in Europe and the rest of the developed world.

The Trump haters are preventing this treatment here in the U.S.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:58 am

rollo_tumasi wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:27 pm
Buy how many guns do you own?
Not near enough..

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:06 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:36 am
onceacat wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:01 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:16 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:04 pm
NOCOcat2005 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:44 pm
It's not actually disdain for Trump, any person with half a brain would have known he would fail miserably as POTUS! Come on, there are great Republicans and Democrats, he isn't either, he's a clown show! I digress, I love football and the CATS like all of us, but the decisions by leadership across this country bleeped the football season! And much worse, 140,000 Americans won't be here to enjoy any of it! Like i said, if you care about the USA, care about football, care about school kids, do the right thing in the coming months no matter what your political beliefs! I could really careless if u want to continue to support incompetent politicians, that's peoples own parogitive! Wear a mask, social distance, go fly fishing, go hiking and stop spreading this mess! Go Cats
I'm not a Trump guy, I think he's an idiot blowhard. I just don't see this as strictly his fault. Bullock shut the state down in March and just 3 days ago put in the mask mandate. If masks were the answer the whole time, why did he wait so long? Doesn't he bear some responsibility too?
I've been trying to stay out of this as I'm quite sick and tired of arguing about this issue, but I agree that the blame for the disaster that is the US' response to COVID-19 cannot be pinned solely on one person. IMO, President Trump failed miserably by refusing to take the virus seriously early on, downplaying it and referring to it as a "Democrat hoax" that would magically go away when the weather heated up. The CDC then made a mistake with their mask guidance, and plenty of state governors have since done a pretty horrendous job managing the situation in their individual states - and that includes governors of both political parties. I think Bullock did a pretty good job overall - when he reopened the state we were pretty much down to a handful of new cases per week, with most counties having zero active cases at the time. I agree that the mask mandate should've come a week or two sooner than it did.

From everything I'm reading, I'm wondering if the best strategy all along would have been early emphasis on mask-wearing to reduce the spread of the virus, combined with very targeted lockdowns in places like New York City that had unusually serious outbreaks. Would more people have been willing to wear masks from the beginning if it had meant not shutting everything down? Maybe, maybe not. Would more politicians have been on-board with mask wearing had it not meant closing businesses and schools down for weeks and months? Again, maybe, maybe not. But based on what we know now, all that the closure of schools, restaurants, bars, etc. seems to have done is to shift the trajectory of the virus back by a month or two.
You are mostly spot on...except for one thing: The shutdowns were put in place in order to be able to figure out "best practices" for dealing with Covid. They bought us a couple of months in which we should have been ramping up testing capabilities & figuring out how to get back to normal.

Thats what Canada did. And now, the NHL is going to play a Canadian-only season because Canada has the virus under control.

Thats what Europe did. And Europeans are playing soccer again, because they have the virus under control. And their kids are going back to school, BECAUSE the virus is under control.

In the US, we've decided that Covid is 100% a political issue that won't be solved until the elections in November. Doesn't really matter what the science says, its all about the politics. As a result, conferences are cancelling fall sports and even having HS kids in class is up in the air.

People in the US don't get sports because we couldn't follow a couple basic rules. Maybe, best case scenario, we get a "Montana-only" football season. Because a critical mass of people have decided that following best practices for a pandemic is a way of signaling their ideological bona fides.

Its pretty sad that they are willing to sacrifice a season of college football in order to maintain partisan purity.
Maybe just a different view but the shut down was put in place because of the need to establish social distancing and improve separation and hygiene. It is still the number one recommendation to prevent the spread of the disease from all major health organizations..... And yes it was buying time to get equipment in place, improve treatment protocol and care, etc etc etc.

Since we are social creatures the opening up to Phase 2 has identified our inability to social distance effectively. I joked with my wife (who is a mask supporter) that I saw two ladies in an office setting this week....one had her designer scarf and the other had what looked like an old child’s onesie made into a mask. Although strangers, they struck up a conversation and within 10 minutes were 18” apart sharing photos on their phones....I joked those masks must be N95 equivalent because it surely wasn’t going to prevent the spread in these folks who were contact sharing on their phones.

For any ranch hands or former ranch hands on here, I think the next mandate should be “cattle prods”. The ones with the batteries that can provide a little stimulus to move along. We could probably patent and sell millions of them.....design one with a couple settings....like just a warning “bump” and then a full scale “stimulus” if you get too much inside my social distancing space. Might be able to make a retractable version so it is easy carry in your designer carrying case on your belt or in your purse but could quickly draw out when space invasion occurs. Would the pro-mask folks on here support the prod mandate?

Canada starting the NHL....wonderful! Hasn’t the U.S. started golf and aren’t we starting baseball shortly. Gosh I think so!

Sacrificing a football season is indeed sad. But why sacrifice it. 80% of the fatalities are over the age of 65. I am over 65 and if they tell me I can’t attend this year but they are going to move ahead with games and I will be able to watch on TV and get my seats back next year...I am all for it. I don’t want to shut society down because of my risk factor. Only 37 deaths to Covid in Montana and 16 have been in two elder care facilities....so 21 others have died because of the disease....and you will sacrifice a season for that?? Gosh I could easily see a season where you perhaps allow spaced seating, limited attendance and crowd entrance control without elderly (maybe you ID everyone and they have to prove they are under 65 to get in.....I wonder how many folks would make a fake ID again...like they haven’t had since they were under 21!) And everyone carrying their social spacing prod!!. Just a different view on risk level to some....some view this as the end of the world and some see it as manageable with precautions in place...it doesn’t mean it is political....and of course some in the legal profession might view it as an opportunity to increase revenue with lawsuits should anyone contact Covid at a game or espouse that they did.

And yes I will be wearing my new N95 equivalent mask that my wife made from an old baby diaper that probably hasn’t been washed since last worn by one of the kids.
Cool, I will finally get id'ed again.

Do like your train of thought?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:15 am

NOCOcat2005 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:44 pm
It's not actually disdain for Trump, any person with half a brain would have known he would fail miserably as POTUS! Come on, there are great Republicans and Democrats, he isn't either, he's a clown show! I digress, I love football and the CATS like all of us, but the decisions by leadership across this country bleeped the football season! And much worse, 140,000 Americans won't be here to enjoy any of it! Like i said, if you care about the USA, care about football, care about school kids, do the right thing in the coming months no matter what your political beliefs! I could really careless if u want to continue to support incompetent politicians, that's peoples own parogitive! Wear a mask, social distance, go fly fishing, go hiking and stop spreading this mess! Go Cats
Two total posts. It’s hilarious when a board regular has to make a second anonymous account to protect their primary anonymous account. Remember when Pelosi and NYC’s deBozo were encouraging people to partake in Chinese New Year celebrations because Trump shutting down flights from China was “racist.” Biden called it “xenophobic. Yet Trump wasn’t taking it seriously. 🙄 Cuomo and other Democrat governors putting infected patients INTO nursing homes must be Trump’s fault too. I remember when the prediction was 2 million dead even with shutdowns. You can’t have it both ways.

Most intelligent and objective people do remember the failures by Democrats as well as failures by the Trump administration.

That excludes this coward.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:22 am

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:36 am
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:20 am
Why don't you post a link that adjusts those per capita numbers by age and I'll be happy to look at how well Europe has done.
That was a pretty harsh response. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Its the new kinder, gentler me. 8)

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:35 am

PapaG wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:15 am
I remember when the prediction was 2 million dead even with shutdowns. You can’t have it both ways.
Totally agree with this. I've been banging this drum forever. :lol:

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:49 am

NOCOcat2005 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:42 pm
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the Trump administrations response to this virus likely cost MSU and possibly all of college football the season! People couldn't/wouldn't even do the little things and wear masks in public places! Wow, cause that's asking so much?? When and if this season gets cancelled you have one person to blame, the jackass in the White House! Maybe next time we have a public health crisis let's not make masks a political issue! Or better yet, next time we have a health crisis, let's pay more attention to health experts and less to politicians who don't really give two ****** about normal Americans! Here's to hoping we can get our ****** together in the next couple weeks and football happens, I'm not holding my breath with the Kool-Aid drinkers listening to Drumph and this pathetic state of USA leadership! Go Cats
Wow, being that the H1N1 grew to 60M cases in 2009 (under I’m sure your hero Obama) and the fact we are around 4M cases from this corona virus, it seems this administration’s response to shut things down, ban travel, shut borders, etc were highly effective. If you hate this response so much I’m assuming you were in full meltdown in 2009. Glad you made it through.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:02 am

ibleedblue wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:49 am
NOCOcat2005 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:42 pm
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the Trump administrations response to this virus likely cost MSU and possibly all of college football the season! People couldn't/wouldn't even do the little things and wear masks in public places! Wow, cause that's asking so much?? When and if this season gets cancelled you have one person to blame, the jackass in the White House! Maybe next time we have a public health crisis let's not make masks a political issue! Or better yet, next time we have a health crisis, let's pay more attention to health experts and less to politicians who don't really give two ****** about normal Americans! Here's to hoping we can get our ****** together in the next couple weeks and football happens, I'm not holding my breath with the Kool-Aid drinkers listening to Drumph and this pathetic state of USA leadership! Go Cats
Wow, being that the H1N1 grew to 60M cases in 2009 (under I’m sure your hero Obama) and the fact we are around 4M cases from this corona virus, it seems this administration’s response to shut things down, ban travel, shut borders, etc were highly effective. If you hate this response so much I’m assuming you were in full meltdown in 2009. Glad you made it through.
12,000 people died from that. Not even close to the same death rate, nor severity.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resour ... demic.html

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:22 am

Had we had an actual shutdown, we likely would have been out of the first wave by now. But don't let facts and figures get in the way of a good time. Your boy passing responsibility to the states has prolonged this national nightmare. Perhaps this is why he is losing by 15% to a democrat candidate who also has lost cognitive function

Ride or die with your guy though. Pretend Europe is somehow testing this differently instead of seeing success because they actually shut down and people are secure enough to wear masks.

Your post is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Oh, and I vote for the best candidate, regardless of party and I hold all my politicians accountable. 143k deaths and counting...

wapiti wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:49 am
Those with only half a brain think the shutdown was the only thing to do and mandating a mask is the right thing to do.

Those with a full brain saw the stupidity of the shutdown and the ineffectiveness of a mask mandate.

Asthma medicine is very effective on treating Covid-19.
https://www.hospimedica.com/covid-19/ar ... id-19.html
I believe this is what is being done in Europe and the rest of the developed world.

The Trump haters are preventing this treatment here in the U.S.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:49 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:35 am
PapaG wrote:
I remember when the prediction was 2 million dead even with shutdowns. You can’t have it both ways.
Total BS. There was never a prediction of 2 million deaths with shutdowns. But this is the kind of false info that’s driving the anti-Covid crowd. They’re getting more like the 9-11 Truthers everyday.

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:00 pm

Thanks iaafan.
iaafan wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:49 am
ilovethecats wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Total BS. There was never a prediction of 2 million deaths with shutdowns. But this is the kind of false info that’s driving the anti-Covid crowd. They’re getting more like the 9-11 Truthers everyday.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:26 pm

iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Even better then. Trump has saved almost 2 million lives by actions and recommendations taken if we’re going to play the blame game. The Cuomo Plan didn’t work.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:38 pm

iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
PapaG wrote:
:lol:

I'm flattered at how much attention you give my posts! Except of course when I ask you questions that you always ignore. :lol:

I won't claim to know the timeline. There were most certainly predictions of over 2 million American deaths. Whether or not those predictions were only based on not doing anything I don't know. Although that would be silly. Throw out a monster number, but claim that's only if as a country we don't do a thing. Like any country would ever take zero measures to contain a virus.

So yes, as much as a moron I think Trump is, I guess the measures he has taken have been responsible for saving a crap-ton of lives. Good on him!

Second, what is an anti-covid crowd? That sounds like a good thing? Is it opposite of pro-covid? That sounds terrible. I would think everyone would be anti-covid. :-k

And while we're at it, what is a 9/11 "truther"? I can't tell if this sounds good or bad.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:44 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:26 pm
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Even better then. Trump has saved almost 2 million lives by actions and recommendations taken if we’re going to play the blame game. The Cuomo Plan didn’t work.
But the DeSantis plan in Florida is doing great! :wink:

RationalGriz

Post by RationalGriz » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:52 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:26 pm
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
PapaG wrote:
If passing the buck is considered a valid form of action, you are probably correct.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:10 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:38 pm
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
PapaG wrote:

I'm flattered at how much attention you give my posts! Except of course when I ask you questions that you always ignore. :lol:

I won't claim to know the timeline. There were most certainly predictions of over 2 million American deaths. Whether or not those predictions were only based on not doing anything I don't know. Although that would be silly. Throw out a monster number, but claim that's only if as a country we don't do a thing. Like any country would ever take zero measures to contain a virus.

So yes, as much as a moron I think Trump is, I guess the measures he has taken have been responsible for saving a crap-ton of lives. Good on him!

Second, what is an anti-covid crowd? That sounds like a good thing? Is it opposite of pro-covid? That sounds terrible. I would think everyone would be anti-covid. :-k

And while we're at it, what is a 9/11 "truther"? I can't tell if this sounds good or bad.
I’m flattered that you’re flattered and I’m flattered by this lengthy post.

I suppose I haven’t been answering your questions because I probably have answered the same questions numerous times. Your post agreeing with PapaG being an excellent example. Seems we’ve gone over the fact that the models predicting 2 million deaths were based on doing nothing. It was painful to see you quoting and agreeing with him.

There is a thing call the 911 Truth movement about all the conspiracy theorists from the WTC and Pentagon attacks. 911 Truthers.

Anti-Covid people are IMO their counterparts. More commonly referred to as COVIDeniers.

Yes, Trump has been trying to claim he’s saved millions of lives based on your same logic. Of course he also said it wasn’t going to be very bad. So you two have that in common. =D^ :wink: \:D/

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:12 pm

iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Correct. It wasn't an actual prediction. It was an early computer predictive "model" in March of a worst case scenario but everyone ran with it as a scare tactic and a genuine prediction.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:22 pm

@ilovethecats @PapaG @CatBlitz @iaafan

I was curious the context of the 2 million death number. here's a good article from back in March that adds some missing context.

https://reason.com/2020/03/30/as-trump- ... scenarios/

Some interesting quotes in there from Fauci and Birx:

"Looking at what we're seeing now," Fauci said, "we're going to have millions of cases" in the United States, and it is reasonable to expect "between 100,000 and 200,000" deaths

Deborah Birx, coordinator of the White House's COVID-19 task force, yesterday cited similar but somewhat less alarming estimates, saying "between 80,000 and 160,000, maybe even potentially 200,000 people," could be killed by COVID-19 in the United States.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:42 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:10 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:38 pm
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
PapaG wrote:

I’m flattered that you’re flattered and I’m flattered by this lengthy post.

I suppose I haven’t been answering your questions because I probably have answered the same questions numerous times. Your post agreeing with PapaG being an excellent example. Seems we’ve gone over the fact that the models predicting 2 million deaths were based on doing nothing. It was painful to see you quoting and agreeing with him.

There is a thing call the 911 Truth movement about all the conspiracy theorists from the WTC and Pentagon attacks. 911 Truthers.

Anti-Covid people are IMO their counterparts. More commonly referred to as COVIDeniers.

Yes, Trump has been trying to claim he’s saved millions of lives based on your same logic. Of course he also said it wasn’t going to be very bad. So you two have that in common. =D^ :wink: \:D/
Ah, gotcha. Have never heard that about 9/11. I guess I haven't heard of the covid people you speak of either, but admittedly I haven't tried. Are there really people who don't think this virus exists? That is astounding to me.

The thing about the death predictions makes me laugh. It'd be like saying 300 million people will die if they have to go without food. Of course most don't have to go without food so that number is asinine. The predictions of millions of Americans dying was just as stupid. But like I said, fear sells so I get it.

I was more referencing your strong views on the masks, and how those who don't wear them are selfish. Even though you yourself, on this very board a few months ago said that if you're not contagious you shouldn't wear masks. If you are contagious you should. You've changed your tune on that big time to go as far as calling people selfish so that why I asked a couple questions. I'll try again.

Do you think masks can prevent other viruses and related deaths or just this specific virus?

If you think it's possible masks can prevent other virus deaths have you always felt that way, or did you just start feeling that way?

Did you and your family always wear masks all the time before this specific virus, or just in the last couple months?

If not, do you consider yourself and your family members selfish people because you failed to do your part saving lives all these years?

I'm sorry it was painful for me to disagree with your take. I'm so glad I don't have that issue. I can disagree with people about all sorts of things and have yet to be pained. Counting my lucky stars for that. \:D/

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:44 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:22 pm
@ilovethecats @PapaG @CatBlitz @iaafan

I was curious the context of the 2 million death number. here's a good article from back in March that adds some missing context.

https://reason.com/2020/03/30/as-trump- ... scenarios/

Some interesting quotes in there from Fauci and Birx:

"Looking at what we're seeing now," Fauci said, "we're going to have millions of cases" in the United States, and it is reasonable to expect "between 100,000 and 200,000" deaths

Deborah Birx, coordinator of the White House's COVID-19 task force, yesterday cited similar but somewhat less alarming estimates, saying "between 80,000 and 160,000, maybe even potentially 200,000 people," could be killed by COVID-19 in the United States.
At this point 200,000 seems like a low number. If the winter is as bad as predicted 300,000 - 500,000 would be my guess. :(