Covid hits MSU athletes

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Post Reply
91catAlum
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Clancy, MT

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:38 am

Buried in this story is the fact that the spike in covid numbers in Montana are mostly due to recent weddings, and not because businesses are reopening.
DPHHS reports initial analysis indicates the cases announced Monday involve positive cases connected to several recent weddings in Montana.
https://www.kxlh.com/news/coronavirus/m ... od-hygiene


Image
24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5243
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by iaafan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:51 am

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:38 am
Buried in this story is the fact that the spike in covid numbers in Montana are mostly due to recent weddings, and not because businesses are reopening.
DPHHS reports initial analysis indicates the cases announced Monday involve positive cases connected to several recent weddings in Montana.
https://www.kxlh.com/news/coronavirus/m ... od-hygiene
Where does it say they're mostly due to recent weddings? Where does it say "not because businesses are reopening?" I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't see where those statements were made in the story you linked.



Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6594
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:05 am

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:01 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:51 am
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:38 am
Buried in this story is the fact that the spike in covid numbers in Montana are mostly due to recent weddings, and not because businesses are reopening.
DPHHS reports initial analysis indicates the cases announced Monday involve positive cases connected to several recent weddings in Montana.
https://www.kxlh.com/news/coronavirus/m ... od-hygiene
Where does it say they're mostly due to recent weddings? Where does it say "not because businesses are reopening?"
Must have read this also?

https://missoulian.com/news/state-and-r ... -top-story



User avatar
The Butcher
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by The Butcher » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 am

Cledus wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:46 am
This spike in new cases seems to coincide with all the blm protests and riots. What a weird coincidence, don’t you think?
There is no evidence of that. There is evidence that states that loosened restrictions earlier are seeing the increases. Look at Montana's recent increase; many are traced to bars, restaurants and weddings.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/protests- ... y-finds/#x



MSU01
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4187
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:46 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:50 pm
catatac wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:31 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:44 pm
catatac wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:27 pm
Covid deaths are still dropping, tapering off significantly as Iooked at today's numbers.
They are and that's great. I tend to believe that's the biggest stat assuming that the people just getting sick are recovering fully. The Sunday and Monday numbers are always way down for some reason. I believe most counts are from the previous day, so Sun/Mon counts are actually Sat/Sun counts and since it's the weekend a lot of numbers aren't recorded until the Tuesday count, which is almost always the highest. I always compare day of the week numbers, because day-by-day can be misleading.

But, yes, low death counts are great to see despite the high number of cases. I hope that holds and the death spike isn't coming in a few days, but I'm leery of that because that's how it went in New York and New Jersey a couple months ago. I think it's mostly due to more testing and better ability to curb its effects. Keeping fingers crossed.
Yes! Same here, it's always interesting to see those numbers and yes, the peak for the week is always Tues or Wed. At any rate, same here with the fingers crossed. The overall trend is trending the right way for now. I don't know how to post just the graph for the U.S. since this started, but it's in this link if people want to look.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Cases are going way up. Deaths have been going down. Even if the positive cases are the ONLY positive cases this is a good thing. If you’re of the belief that I am, that there are WAY more people positive than we know about, this decline in deaths is even more important.

If the epidemiologists that predicted positive cases could be EIGHTY times higher than we know....what does that say about the deadliness or even the danger of the virus?
Yes, great news that deaths have been declining. My guess is that with better access to testing we're finding many more asymptomatic and mild cases in younger, healthier people now than we were back in March, which is contributing to increased confirmed cases but decreased deaths.

However, we also know that death numbers lag behind case numbers by a couple weeks since people obviously don't die immediately upon diagnosis. So we'll need to wait a few weeks to get the full picture of what the data from the current spike in case numbers really tells us.


Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

User avatar
Cledus
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4513
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:18 pm
Location: Billings Heights

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by Cledus » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:53 am

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:46 am
This spike in new cases seems to coincide with all the blm protests and riots. What a weird coincidence, don’t you think?
There is no evidence of that. There is evidence that states that loosened restrictions earlier are seeing the increases. Look at Montana's recent increase; many are traced to bars, restaurants and weddings.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/protests- ... y-finds/#x
Pretty remarkable the virus can tell the difference between a rioter in a mob and someone at bar, restaurant, or wedding. I learn something new every day.


UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

superbobcat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:14 am

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by superbobcat » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:03 am

I have wondered how many athletes were exposed to the one case? Are more than the infected quarantined? Did this individual come in from out of state and bring it with them?? Some of these football programs really blew up with cases when they all returned to campus. I hope we are not one of them.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5243
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by iaafan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:06 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:01 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:51 am
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:38 am
Buried in this story is the fact that the spike in covid numbers in Montana are mostly due to recent weddings, and not because businesses are reopening.
DPHHS reports initial analysis indicates the cases announced Monday involve positive cases connected to several recent weddings in Montana.
https://www.kxlh.com/news/coronavirus/m ... od-hygiene
Where does it say they're mostly due to recent weddings? Where does it say "not because businesses are reopening?"
Must have read this also?

https://missoulian.com/news/state-and-r ... -top-story
I don't see anything in there either.



Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6594
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:05 am

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:18 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:06 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:01 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:51 am
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:38 am
Buried in this story is the fact that the spike in covid numbers in Montana are mostly due to recent weddings, and not because businesses are reopening.
DPHHS reports initial analysis indicates the cases announced Monday involve positive cases connected to several recent weddings in Montana.
https://www.kxlh.com/news/coronavirus/m ... od-hygiene
Where does it say they're mostly due to recent weddings? Where does it say "not because businesses are reopening?"
Must have read this also?

https://missoulian.com/news/state-and-r ... -top-story
I don't see anything in there either.

Try this Lee Montana paper headline. All the others with this article shows the 404.


https://billingsgazette.com/news/state- ... e-trending



ibleedblue
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by ibleedblue » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:30 am

I just read daily deaths are down over 90% from their peak in mid-April. There were 250 deaths yesterday compared to 2700 in April peaks. For perspective, 7500 people died yesterday in the US from something other than covid. Covid deaths made up only .03% of overall deaths yesterday. This decrease has been happening for 9 straight weeks now. Media coverage on that = crickets.



MSU01
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4187
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:38 am

ibleedblue wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:30 am
I just read daily deaths are down over 90% from their peak in mid-April. There were 250 deaths yesterday compared to 2700 in April peaks. For perspective, 7500 people died yesterday in the US from something other than covid. Covid deaths made up only .03% of overall deaths yesterday. This decrease has been happening for 9 straight weeks now. Media coverage on that = crickets.
I've seen plenty of news coverage about the death counts decreasing and it's great news. Make no mistake though, if the rampant exponential growth of cases continues then an increase in deaths will inevitably follow. And 250 is 3% of 7500, not .03%


Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5243
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by iaafan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:45 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:18 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:06 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:01 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:51 am
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:38 am
Buried in this story is the fact that the spike in covid numbers in Montana are mostly due to recent weddings, and not because businesses are reopening.
DPHHS reports initial analysis indicates the cases announced Monday involve positive cases connected to several recent weddings in Montana.
https://www.kxlh.com/news/coronavirus/m ... od-hygiene
Where does it say they're mostly due to recent weddings? Where does it say "not because businesses are reopening?"
Must have read this also?

https://missoulian.com/news/state-and-r ... -top-story
I don't see anything in there either.

Try this Lee Montana paper headline. All the others with this article shows the 404.


https://billingsgazette.com/news/state- ... e-trending
Nope. Nothing there about "mostly" weddings or "not because businesses are reopening."



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5243
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by iaafan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:01 am

ibleedblue wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:30 am
I just read daily deaths are down over 90% from their peak in mid-April. There were 250 deaths yesterday compared to 2700 in April peaks. For perspective, 7500 people died yesterday in the US from something other than covid. Covid deaths made up only .03% of overall deaths yesterday. This decrease has been happening for 9 straight weeks now. Media coverage on that = crickets.
There were 346 deaths yesterday with four states, including Louisiana and Arizona, not reporting. The last two weeks have been almost identical in terms of deaths. They were dropping, but have leveled off.

49 cases today. 20 in Missoula County, which only had 66 total since March. 11 in Gallatin and 9 in Y'stone.



91catAlum
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Clancy, MT

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:26 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:51 am
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:38 am
Buried in this story is the fact that the spike in covid numbers in Montana are mostly due to recent weddings, and not because businesses are reopening.
DPHHS reports initial analysis indicates the cases announced Monday involve positive cases connected to several recent weddings in Montana.
https://www.kxlh.com/news/coronavirus/m ... od-hygiene
Where does it say they're mostly due to recent weddings? Where does it say "not because businesses are reopening?" I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't see where those statements were made in the story you linked.
Correct, "mostly" was my own word, and my own inference from the quote I provided above, which states that the "cases announced Monday involve cases connected to several weddings". I inferred that means the new cases that were announced on Monday have to do with weddings, because if not then why would they mention that? Seems like a reasonable deduction to me, but you are right that it doesn't state that ALL 56, or even MOST of them are connected to these "several" weddings, so yes, I could be wrong, as it wasn't spelled out definitively in the article.

The quote doesn't say the 56 "include" cases from weddings, it says it "involves" cases from several weddings. That is also why I inferred what I did. If you'd like to infer something different from that quote, feel free.


Image
24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

FTG247365
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 864
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:58 pm

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by FTG247365 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:45 am

Cledus wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:53 am
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:46 am
This spike in new cases seems to coincide with all the blm protests and riots. What a weird coincidence, don’t you think?
There is no evidence of that. There is evidence that states that loosened restrictions earlier are seeing the increases. Look at Montana's recent increase; many are traced to bars, restaurants and weddings.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/protests- ... y-finds/#x
One of the smartest virus's around, it can only reach 5', and count to 49.
Pretty remarkable the virus can tell the difference between a rioter in a mob and someone at bar, restaurant, or wedding. I learn something new every day.



FTG247365
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 864
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:58 pm

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by FTG247365 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:46 am

FTG247365 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:45 am
Cledus wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:53 am
The Butcher wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:46 am
This spike in new cases seems to coincide with all the blm protests and riots. What a weird coincidence, don’t you think?
There is no evidence of that. There is evidence that states that loosened restrictions earlier are seeing the increases. Look at Montana's recent increase; many are traced to bars, restaurants and weddings.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/protests- ... y-finds/#x
Pretty remarkable the virus can tell the difference between a rioter in a mob and someone at bar, restaurant, or wedding. I learn something new every day.
One of the smartest virus's around, it can measure 5', and count to 49.



User avatar
Catbacker_1
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:41 pm

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by Catbacker_1 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:57 am

The numbers Covid cases being up is a little misleading. Antibody tests are being counted as a positive test, and according to the CDC website, you can get multiple tests and if they all test positive then they all count as new positive cases. Theroedicaly one person can account for 2 or more positives depending on the amount of testing they are subjected to. To say numbers are up may not actually be the case.


Image.
It’s spelled offense and defense

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5243
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by iaafan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:16 am

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:26 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:51 am
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:38 am
Buried in this story is the fact that the spike in covid numbers in Montana are mostly due to recent weddings, and not because businesses are reopening.
DPHHS reports initial analysis indicates the cases announced Monday involve positive cases connected to several recent weddings in Montana.
https://www.kxlh.com/news/coronavirus/m ... od-hygiene
Where does it say they're mostly due to recent weddings? Where does it say "not because businesses are reopening?" I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't see where those statements were made in the story you linked.
Correct, "mostly" was my own word, and my own inference from the quote I provided above, which states that the "cases announced Monday involve cases connected to several weddings". I inferred that means the new cases that were announced on Monday have to do with weddings, because if not then why would they mention that? Seems like a reasonable deduction to me, but you are right that it doesn't state that ALL 56, or even MOST of them are connected to these "several" weddings, so yes, I could be wrong, as it wasn't spelled out definitively in the article.

The quote doesn't say the 56 "include" cases from weddings, it says it "involves" cases from several weddings. That is also why I inferred what I did. If you'd like to infer something different from that quote, feel free.
OK. Also, when I'm just inferring something, I don't refer to it as a fact. Obviously, if I'm just inferring something, I'm not quite sure of it, so I wouldn't call it a fact. If it were a fact, then I wouldn't need to infer anything. Again, I'm not saying you're wrong. Most of the cases could be wedding-related and the cases could have nothing to do with businesses reopening. Those details would be good to have.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5243
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by iaafan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:18 am

Catbacker_1 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:57 am
The numbers Covid cases being up is a little misleading. Antibody tests are being counted as a positive test, and according to the CDC website, you can get multiple tests and if they all test positive then they all count as new positive cases. Theroedicaly one person can account for 2 or more positives depending on the amount of testing they are subjected to. To say numbers are up may not actually be the case.
I agree that the cases seem misleading.



91catAlum
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Clancy, MT

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:26 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:16 am
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:26 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:51 am
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:38 am
Buried in this story is the fact that the spike in covid numbers in Montana are mostly due to recent weddings, and not because businesses are reopening.
DPHHS reports initial analysis indicates the cases announced Monday involve positive cases connected to several recent weddings in Montana.
https://www.kxlh.com/news/coronavirus/m ... od-hygiene
Where does it say they're mostly due to recent weddings? Where does it say "not because businesses are reopening?" I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't see where those statements were made in the story you linked.
Correct, "mostly" was my own word, and my own inference from the quote I provided above, which states that the "cases announced Monday involve cases connected to several weddings". I inferred that means the new cases that were announced on Monday have to do with weddings, because if not then why would they mention that? Seems like a reasonable deduction to me, but you are right that it doesn't state that ALL 56, or even MOST of them are connected to these "several" weddings, so yes, I could be wrong, as it wasn't spelled out definitively in the article.

The quote doesn't say the 56 "include" cases from weddings, it says it "involves" cases from several weddings. That is also why I inferred what I did. If you'd like to infer something different from that quote, feel free.
OK. Also, when I'm just inferring something, I don't refer to it as a fact. Obviously, if I'm just inferring something, I'm not quite sure of it, so I wouldn't call it a fact. If it were a fact, then I wouldn't need to infer anything. Again, I'm not saying you're wrong. Most of the cases could be wedding-related and the cases could have nothing to do with businesses reopening. Those details would be good to have.
That's a fair criticism, saying "the fact that..." in my post was poor wording.


Image
24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

Post Reply