Covid hits MSU athletes

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by coloradocat » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:05 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:58 am
SACCAT wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:48 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:37 am
SACCAT wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:57 am
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:48 am
Then started chanting "My body my choice"...
Please tell me you're just kidding.
Nope...
Wow. Totally selfish. Where does this kind of thinking come from? How does anyone come to the conclusion that their body and their decisions only matter to themselves during a pandemic. The virus doesn't have a brain and it isn't vindictive. It won't single out people that aren't taking precautions or decide to stay away from people that are.
Everyone knows your body belongs to the state!

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:25 am

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:05 am
iaafan wrote:
SACCAT wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:48 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:37 am
SACCAT wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:57 am
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:48 am
Then started chanting "My body my choice"...
Please tell me you're just kidding.
Nope...
Wow. Totally selfish. Where does this kind of thinking come from? How does anyone come to the conclusion that their body and their decisions only matter to themselves during a pandemic. The virus doesn't have a brain and it isn't vindictive. It won't single out people that aren't taking precautions or decide to stay away from people that are.
Everyone knows your body belongs to the state!
In my mind, I equate mandating masks to outlawing drinking and driving.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:29 am

This is why we aren't going to get football this year.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:33 am

iaafan wrote:
The people who are chanting "my body, my choice" don't live in a state of fear.

There are only 28 people in the entire state who are hospitalized. If you're going to comply with a mandatory face mask order over 28 people being hospitalized, most of whom were already in an elderly home and had an elevated risk, then you'd also suck a dick long and hard just because someone told you to.

https://montana.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Ma ... 2103421d4b

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:50 am

Tom Cat, that video was great! And ladies such as her are exactly why I'm on the side of not forcing people to wear masks. Are people really going to tell me that if you had to compare her to a selfish, non-mask wearing jerk, but one that was social distancing, had cleaned hands and wasn't touching his face.....that the lady is better because she's wearing a mask? And do you really think this is an isolated situation? I see people doing crap like that with their masks all the time. Touching it all the time, taking off and putting it on, hanging it on their ear, wearing it under their nose or sometimes under their nose and mouth all together! Wearing the same one all day, storing it in their cars, their pockets, grocery bags etc until they need them. Do people really think this is better than no mask at all? I just don't see that.

And before 1aa calls us all selfish for the hundredth time, I wear mine when I am made to or when I feel it's appropriate. I also wear one while working and ask staff to do the same thing. So far they all have, despite the fact that I didn't make them.

And if you don't think the actions at our meeting this morning were shady at best, I disagree. You can rally in the parks and streets no problem. But when suddenly when people want to share their opinion on masks, as soon as it's more than 50 people they shut it down. People asked to move it outside and the board refused. Then, they change a 7am meeting to 1:30pm today. I'm not privy to the legality of this, but I always thought public meeting such as these were not allowed to do that. I thought it needed to be postponed a day or two to give those ample time to join once again. Could be wrong on this but it seems terrible and it seems like if it's allowed than they could do that all the time. Don't like how many people showed up with a different opinion? Just cancel it quick, postpone it for 5 hours later, and do it all virtually instead of in person. Seems legit!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:53 am

I'm scared of wearing a mask in public and trying to help get this thing over with.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:53 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:50 am
Tom Cat, that video was great! And ladies such as her are exactly why I'm on the side of not forcing people to wear masks. Are people really going to tell me that if you had to compare her to a selfish, non-mask wearing jerk, but one that was social distancing, had cleaned hands and wasn't touching his face.....that the lady is better because she's wearing a mask? And do you really think this is an isolated situation? I see people doing crap like that with their masks all the time. Touching it all the time, taking off and putting it on, hanging it on their ear, wearing it under their nose or sometimes under their nose and mouth all together! Wearing the same one all day, storing it in their cars, their pockets, grocery bags etc until they need them. Do people really think this is better than no mask at all? I just don't see that.

And before 1aa calls us all selfish for the hundredth time, I wear mine when I am made to or when I feel it's appropriate. I also wear one while working and ask staff to do the same thing. So far they all have, despite the fact that I didn't make them.

And if you don't think the actions at our meeting this morning were shady at best, I disagree. You can rally in the parks and streets no problem. But when suddenly when people want to share their opinion on masks, as soon as it's more than 50 people they shut it down. People asked to move it outside and the board refused. Then, they change a 7am meeting to 1:30pm today. I'm not privy to the legality of this, but I always thought public meeting such as these were not allowed to do that. I thought it needed to be postponed a day or two to give those ample time to join once again. Could be wrong on this but it seems terrible and it seems like if it's allowed than they could do that all the time. Don't like how many people showed up with a different opinion? Just cancel it quick, postpone it for 5 hours later, and do it all virtually instead of in person. Seems legit!
Good points. Just to add a small little bit...

If I wear a mask, how does everyone else know if it's been properly sanitized?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:58 am

Cledus wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:33 am
iaafan wrote:

There are only 28 people in the entire state who are hospitalized. If you're going to comply with a mandatory face mask order over 28 people being hospitalized, most of whom were already in an elderly home and had an elevated risk, then you'd also suck a dick long and hard just because someone told you to.

That's over the line man. You're letting your emotions get the best of you.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:58 am

ilovethecats wrote:

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:06 am

Cledus wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:53 am
ilovethecats wrote:

Good points. Just to add a small little bit...

If I wear a mask, how does everyone else know if it's been properly sanitized?
Precisely. If you go to the CDC website and watch how to "properly" wear a mask, I would be shocked if anyone was doing it correctly. You're NEVER supposed to touch the mask itself and if you do, you're supposed to get a new one. But you're supposed to wash hands every times before and after putting your mask on. If you touch anything with your hands and then touch the mask for any reason it needs to be switched. I would bet tons of money that everyone isn't doing this every time. It's why I also think the idea of masks in schools with kids is ridiculous. But that's another topic.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:17 am

iaafan wrote:

Well, we've touched on this lots over the weeks but no one has really answered the question. If you're always wearing your mask, and obviously switching it out often per the CDC, rarely going out unless absolutely necessary, and practicing social distancing shouldn't you be ok? You could go a step farther and just lock back down and never go out and be really safe!

If I dare go into public with out a mask on, and I'm with other people without masks on, isn't it just a bunch of selfish non-mask-wearing jerks putting other non-mask-wearing jerks in serious peril? And if this isn't the case, and even those wearing masks are in serious jeopardy of contracting the virus, doesn't that just show that we shouldn't be forced to wear them because they don't work?

I'm just very confused how people very worried about the virus, who stay home as much as possible, never go into any kind of large group, always have clean masks on, wash hands regularly and always practice social distancing are so concerned about those that may not share those fears?

Like I said before, if we're going to hop on our pedestals and label non-mask people as selfish, couldn't I do the same thing to anyone who decides to go anywhere that will put people in harms way? All those "essential" workers at Walmart and Albertsons or your local essential liquor store that was at constant risk every day while people hoarded vodka and toilet paper? I'm amazed I haven't seen more people go to bat for these minimum wage workers who had no choice but to risk their lives during a pandemic, and for some reason everyone is fine with that. But if you want to open a bar or restaurant and not force people to wear masks you're just selfish. :lol:

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:18 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:58 am
Cledus wrote:
iaafan wrote:

I'm not emotional at all. I'm just giving the issue a bit of perspective.

The Montana coronavirus map isn't loading at the moment, but yesterday there were only 139 or so active cases in Gallatin County. Shutting down the football season over 139 cases seems like an overreach and an overreaction to reasonable people. If I'm in Billings and was never planning to go to a Cats game this year then how does that mean I'm selfish? This whole coronavirus has turned into bird law; it's not governed by reason.

People's reactions are way out of proportion to the actual impact this virus is having. We've been sold Stephen King's The Stand but what has actually unfolded has not been remotely consistent with that.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:18 am

ilovethecats wrote:

Please don't put words in my mouth. Thank you.

I called people selfish for saying "my body, my choice." Those people are, by their own words, only thinking of themselves. The problem with that is that if they get coronavirus, it isn't just themselves that's affected. There's the people they infect, the people that care about them that have to deal with the stress of seeing them sick, their employer, the rest of the country that depends on each other to pay taxes. So, yes, it's incredibly irresponsible and selfish to state, "my body, my choice" regarding coronavirus. It goes way beyond just you being sick or being a carrier.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:24 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:17 am
iaafan wrote:

Well, we've touched on this lots over the weeks but no one has really answered the question. If you're always wearing your mask, and obviously switching it out often per the CDC, rarely going out unless absolutely necessary, and practicing social distancing shouldn't you be ok? You could go a step farther and just lock back down and never go out and be really safe!

If I dare go into public with out a mask on, and I'm with other people without masks on, isn't it just a bunch of selfish non-mask-wearing jerks putting other non-mask-wearing jerks in serious peril? And if this isn't the case, and even those wearing masks are in serious jeopardy of contracting the virus, doesn't that just show that we shouldn't be forced to wear them because they don't work?

I'm just very confused how people very worried about the virus, who stay home as much as possible, never go into any kind of large group, always have clean masks on, wash hands regularly and always practice social distancing are so concerned about those that may not share those fears?

Like I said before, if we're going to hop on our pedestals and label non-mask people as selfish, couldn't I do the same thing to anyone who decides to go anywhere that will put people in harms way? All those "essential" workers at Walmart and Albertsons or your local essential liquor store that was at constant risk every day while people hoarded vodka and toilet paper? I'm amazed I haven't seen more people go to bat for these minimum wage workers who had no choice but to risk their lives during a pandemic, and for some reason everyone is fine with that. But if you want to open a bar or restaurant and not force people to wear masks you're just selfish. :lol:
Look at Italy, Spain, UK, France. They were all in the same (worse) boat that we're in, but they toed the line and now, as of yesterday:
Italy 13 deaths/169 cases
UK 11 deaths/530 cases
France 18 deaths/288 cases
Spain 1 deaths/681 cases
Combined 43 deaths/1,478 cases

US 465 deaths/65,488 cases

Spain - 7 week lockdown, Italy lockdown. Both countries responded poorly early, but are now down to 1 and 13 deaths yesterday.

Germany - https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/05/ ... ronavirus/

S. Korea - massive testing, contact tracing. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... et/611215/

Japan - might've had some luck, but they bow instead of shake hands, high standards of hygiene, have low obesity rates, are accustomed to wearing masks, have universal healthcare, remove shoes. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus
Last edited by iaafan on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:28 am

Cledus wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:18 am
CelticCat wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:58 am
Cledus wrote:
iaafan wrote:

I'm not emotional at all. I'm just giving the issue a bit of perspective.

The Montana coronavirus map isn't loading at the moment, but yesterday there were only 139 or so active cases in Gallatin County. Shutting down the football season over 139 cases seems like an overreach and an overreaction to reasonable people. If I'm in Billings and was never planning to go to a Cats game this year then how does that mean I'm selfish? This whole coronavirus has turned into bird law; it's not governed by reason.

People's reactions are way out of proportion to the actual impact this virus is having. We've been sold Stephen King's The Stand but what has actually unfolded has not been remotely consistent with that.
You just made analogous the required wearing of masks during a pandemic to being so submissive you'd suck d*ck if someone told you to. Maybe you're not emotional about it but man what a garbage thing to say.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:28 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:24 am
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Look at Italy, Spain, UK, France. They were all in the same (worse) boat that we're in, but they toed the line and now, as of yesterday:
UK 11 deaths/530 cases
Spain 1 deaths/681 cases

Yeah ilovethecats, don't ask questions, toe the line!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:30 am

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:28 am
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:

UK 11 deaths/530 cases
Spain 1 deaths/681 cases

Yeah ilovethecats, don't ask questions, toe the line!
He can ask all the questions he wants. Not sure what you're driving at. ???

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:40 am

iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:

UK 11 deaths/530 cases
Spain 1 deaths/681 cases

That's all well and good. The US will get to that point as well is my guess.

It still doesn't touch on any of the questions I have asked. If you almost never leave your house except when absolutely vital, you should be sitting good. When you do have to go out (hopefully not risking the lives of essential workers too much) as long as you're wearing mask, that you definitely change often, always keep your distance from others and wash hands often....aren't you ok? And if you're not ok, and not safe from all these precautions taken...then what are we doing?

Personally, I feel like I'm seeing way more people taking precautions than those that aren't but I could be wrong on that. Even jerks like me that don't think I should be forced by the government to wear a mask....wears a mask sometimes depending where I am and if it's required or not. So I highly doubt that those of us who appreciate being able to make our own grownup decisions are going to be enough to overwhelm our hospitals. Obviously I could be wrong on that.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:44 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:18 am
ilovethecats wrote:

Please don't put words in my mouth. Thank you.

I called people selfish for saying "my body, my choice." Those people are, by their own words, only thinking of themselves. The problem with that is that if they get coronavirus, it isn't just themselves that's affected. There's the people they infect, the people that care about them that have to deal with the stress of seeing them sick, their employer, the rest of the country that depends on each other to pay taxes. So, yes, it's incredibly irresponsible and selfish to state, "my body, my choice" regarding coronavirus. It goes way beyond just you being sick or being a carrier.
Did this just become the abortion debate? :-k

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:50 am

"The Montana coronavirus map isn't loading at the moment, but yesterday there were only 139 or so active cases in Gallatin County. Shutting down the football season over 139 cases seems like an overreach and an overreaction to reasonable people. If I'm in Billings and was never planning to go to a Cats game this year then how does that mean I'm selfish? This whole coronavirus has turned into bird law; it's not governed by reason.

People's reactions are way out of proportion to the actual impact this virus is having. We've been sold Stephen King's The Stand but what has actually unfolded has not been remotely consistent with that."

Yep, but don't forget Montana deaths are spiking big time because two women in their 90's died yesterday. They tested positive for CV19 so I guess it's possible the virus actually contributed to their deaths? Not sure, nobody knows.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!