Covid hits MSU athletes

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by wapiti » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:37 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:36 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:17 pm
St George wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:10 pm
They just announced that a prison south of Boise Idaho had over 100 inmates test positive for CV19 and not a single one of those was showing any symptoms.
That is interesting. Someone from the WHO a few weeks ago stated that asymptomatic transmission of COVID is "very rare" so I wonder what the specifics of that prison situation were.
103 cases with zero showing symptoms sounds too good to be true, and you know what they say about things that sound too good to be true. The median incubation period for COVID-19 is around 5 days, so my guess would be that they tested a group of people who had been exposed to the virus much more recently than that, and those who will develop symptoms haven't done so yet.

Here's one of the best articles I've seen with regards to asymptomatic case percentage and undercounting of cases due to people who were asymptomatic or had mild symptoms that didn't qualify to be tested: https://news.iu.edu/stories/2020/05/iup ... virus.html
or many of the positives already had Covid-19 and are testing positive on the antibodies.
Covid-19 is much more widespread than estimated and was in the U.S. much earlier than we knew.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:19 pm

wapiti wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:15 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:13 am
This graph does not mean much.
It does not explain the scale at all.
It does not explain the risk at all. I assume it is a risk at getting sick with Covid. But what does a 9 mean?? Is it a 9% chance of getting sick???? or maybe .9%. This graph is meant to scare people and it seems to have done that for you.
I posted it here, not because I am scared or would be scared of anything it shows...but, because it is a simple and quick way to see how physicians in Texas are working to help people evaluate relative risk. Going beyond that is stupid, but allowing it to say what it does say is helpful. If MSU is considering a Fall or Spring season, I'll guarantee you they are in fact looking at and listening to people like those who crafted this graph, and not a bunch of elk hunting fans wanting what they want because they want it.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:52 am

wapiti wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:37 pm
Covid-19 is much more widespread than estimated and was in the U.S. much earlier than we knew.
You obviously are not smarter than me! \:D/

I was just a couple weeks ago on this very board that not a single person in the world smarter than myself believes it's possible this virus is more widespread than we know about, or that it's possible it's been around longer than we know about!

How does it feel to know that at the very best....you're only AS smart as I am?! :-$

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:25 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:52 am
wapiti wrote:

I was just a couple weeks ago on this very board that not a single person in the world smarter than myself believes it's possible this virus is more widespread than we know about, or that it's possible it's been around longer than we know about!

How does it feel to know that at the very best....you're only AS smart as I am?! :-$
Have you been drinking?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:09 am

wapiti wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:25 am
ilovethecats wrote:
wapiti wrote:

Have you been drinking?
I wish! I should be on the course right now but a little work has gotten in the way.

Nope, I was just agreeing with what you said is all. :-k

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:50 am

wapiti wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
St George wrote:
They just announced that a prison south of Boise Idaho had over 100 inmates test positive for CV19 and not a single one of those was showing any symptoms.
That is interesting. Someone from the WHO a few weeks ago stated that asymptomatic transmission of COVID is "very rare" so I wonder what the specifics of that prison situation were.
103 cases with zero showing symptoms sounds too good to be true, and you know what they say about things that sound too good to be true. The median incubation period for COVID-19 is around 5 days, so my guess would be that they tested a group of people who had been exposed to the virus much more recently than that, and those who will develop symptoms haven't done so yet.

Here's one of the best articles I've seen with regards to asymptomatic case percentage and undercounting of cases due to people who were asymptomatic or had mild symptoms that didn't qualify to be tested: https://news.iu.edu/stories/2020/05/iup ... virus.html
or many of the positives already had Covid-19 and are testing positive on the antibodies.
A test to detect a current case of COVID-19 is separate from the antibody test. As far as I'm aware there is not a test out there that looks for both an active case and antibodies at the same time, so I assume that the 103 positive tests were all for active cases and not antibodies.

It is certainly true that COVID-19 is much more widespread than the number of confirmed cases, although there's a wide range of estimates as to just how much more widespread it was, especially back in March and April when testing was largely reserved for those with moderate/severe symptoms.

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:58 am

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:50 am
wapiti wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
St George wrote:

A test to detect a current case of COVID-19 is separate from the antibody test. As far as I'm aware there is not a test out there that looks for both an active case and antibodies at the same time, so I assume that the 103 positive tests were all for active cases and not antibodies.

It is certainly true that COVID-19 is much more widespread than the number of confirmed cases, although there's a wide range of estimates as to just how much more widespread it was, especially back in March and April when testing was largely reserved for those with moderate/severe symptoms.
Hard to say. You are correct in what you stated about two separate tests to detect a current, positive case vs someone who has antibodies and had already been positive. However, the tracking of that is what is a mess. Meaning, either of those results gets added as a positive case for CDC tracking. So whether you are positive now or have the antibodies now, the CDC wants either of those “counted” as a positive case toward their overall national and state count. So who knows if these 103 positives are current or past? And that’s one of the many issues with his thing.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:19 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:58 am
So whether you are positive now or have the antibodies now, the CDC wants either of those “counted” as a positive case toward their overall national and state count.
I really wish more people considered this when they discuss the "new" Covid cases. I don't feel that many people do, or they just don't believe that's how it truly works. It may change how some people view it when they read something like the Gallatin County has 19 new cases today....

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:24 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:19 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
So whether you are positive now or have the antibodies now, the CDC wants either of those “counted” as a positive case toward their overall national and state count.
I really wish more people considered this when they discuss the "new" Covid cases. I don't feel that many people do, or they just don't believe that's how it truly works. It may change how some people view it when they read something like the Gallatin County has 19 new cases today....
Spot on! And like I stated earlier, it really puts it in even more perspective when they (cdc) also ask all the states to tack on any “presumed” cases to their overall positive count. A presumed case is one that doesn’t even end in a confirmed lab test of covid. It looks at someone who is positive and if anyone, literally anyone, around that person didn’t feel good at one point they want that counted as a positive case, too. Mind boggling if you ask me.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:39 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
While it's true that some states have done this, the official data released by the state of Montana does NOT lump in and never has lumped in positive antibody tests with active cases.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:33 am

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:39 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
While it's true that some states have done this, the official data released by the state of Montana does NOT lump in and never has lumped in positive antibody tests with active cases.
Oh yeah, uh-huh, sure they don't. :roll:

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:49 am

wapiti wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
wapiti wrote:

Have you been drinking?
Dude, you were claiming that some very smart people were claiming that 80x more people had contracted Covid & that it had been around since the fall.

Not that more people had it earlier than we thought.

Imagine if the Grizzlies got to move the goalposts the way you just did. Football would really suck.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:54 am

MSU01 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
The CDC doesn’t control reporting. The numbers are issued by state & private labs. The CDC just adds up the numbers. And antibody testing (at least until very recently) isn’t widely available in Montana.

Seriously, the misinformation spreading on BN makes this place look like InfoWars.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:45 am

onceacat wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:54 am
MSU01 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
The CDC doesn’t control reporting. The numbers are issued by state & private labs. The CDC just adds up the numbers. And antibody testing (at least until very recently) isn’t widely available in Montana.

Seriously, the misinformation spreading on BN makes this place look like InfoWars.
Yep, a lot of tinfoil hats being worn around here right now... damn.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:56 am

onceacat wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:49 am
wapiti wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
wapiti wrote:

Have you been drinking?
Dude, you were claiming that some very smart people were claiming that 80x more people had contracted Covid & that it had been around since the fall.

Imagine if the Grizzlies got to move the goalposts the way you just did. Football would really suck.
Unfortunately, you are misremembering. Which is fine, I've had a lot of posts on the topic so it's fair. But little comments like "moving goalposts" look pretty silly if you are incorrect on what I said.

On this very thread, page #5, I ASKED MSU1 what he thought about the idea that the virus has infected up to 80x more people than we know about. He said he felt 80x was probably the high end, but that he thought there is probably more infected than we know about. I told him I agree.

Here is what I said on the thread, MSU Plans For Games thread. It's on page #4 if you'd like to fact check this...

Just for my own sake, when discussing deaths from Covid, will it always be the “last three months”? Because what I’m reading is we’re about to enter our 7th month next week of dealing with this thing. And that’s just cases we know about. Some people far smarter than myself are now speculating that it’s been around going back to last fall. Regardless, in the grand scheme of life, with people being born every day and people dying of a plethora of reasons every day, 484,000 deaths in 6 months that we know about shouldn’t shut down the world. Especially considering there’s almost 8 billion people on this planet. And worldwide 9.5 million have been tested positive. Who knows how many more there may be?

It was to this comment I got the response, from you....

Its the leading cause of death in the US. And trust me, nobody smarter than you is seriously suggesting that its been around longer

You then backtracked and said maybe smart people with an agenda spreading misinformation may say it's been around longer.

So unfortunately, you're talking about two different things here. I have no issue disagreeing on this topic. It seems to be one where you're on one side or another. But if you're going to try and call a person out for his opinions, the least you could do is get your facts straight.

But yes, I maintain it's possible this virus has been around longer and infected more than we currently know about. You don't think that's possible or that anyone else (without an agenda of course) believes this. And that's A-OK!!! :thumbup:

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:11 am

onceacat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:

Wrong. The cdc is a major player in this as evidenced by this article. They have asked the states to report this way. They set the federal recommendations. It is then up to the states to decide how to report. 26 states are currently reporting both “probable” and confirmed cases.

https://www.livescience.com/cdc-combine ... tests.html

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:40 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:11 am
onceacat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:

Wrong. The cdc is a major player in this as evidenced by this article. They have asked the states to report this way. They set the federal recommendations. It is then up to the states to decide how to report. 26 states are currently reporting both “probable” and confirmed cases.

https://www.livescience.com/cdc-combine ... tests.html
Sounds like you are saying “half the states are ignoring the CDC reporting recomendations”. Which is sort of proving that the CDC doesn’t control reporting. Thanks for saving me the trouble of posting a link proving my point.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:46 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:56 am
onceacat wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:49 am
wapiti wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
wapiti wrote:

Have you been drinking?

Unfortunately, you are misremembering. Which is fine, I've had a lot of posts on the topic so it's fair. But little comments like "moving goalposts" look pretty silly if you are incorrect on what I said.

On this very thread, page #5, I ASKED MSU1 what he thought about the idea that the virus has infected up to 80x more people than we know about. He said he felt 80x was probably the high end, but that he thought there is probably more infected than we know about. I told him I agree.

Here is what I said on the thread, MSU Plans For Games thread. It's on page #4 if you'd like to fact check this...

Just for my own sake, when discussing deaths from Covid, will it always be the “last three months”? Because what I’m reading is we’re about to enter our 7th month next week of dealing with this thing. And that’s just cases we know about. Some people far smarter than myself are now speculating that it’s been around going back to last fall. Regardless, in the grand scheme of life, with people being born every day and people dying of a plethora of reasons every day, 484,000 deaths in 6 months that we know about shouldn’t shut down the world. Especially considering there’s almost 8 billion people on this planet. And worldwide 9.5 million have been tested positive. Who knows how many more there may be?

It was to this comment I got the response, from you....

Its the leading cause of death in the US. And trust me, nobody smarter than you is seriously suggesting that its been around longer

You then backtracked and said maybe smart people with an agenda spreading misinformation may say it's been around longer.

So unfortunately, you're talking about two different things here. I have no issue disagreeing on this topic. It seems to be one where you're on one side or another. But if you're going to try and call a person out for his opinions, the least you could do is get your facts straight.

But yes, I maintain it's possible this virus has been around longer and infected more than we currently know about. You don't think that's possible or that anyone else (without an agenda of course) believes this. And that's A-OK!!! :thumbup:
Maybe it wasn’t you who said “some very smart people are saying that there are 80x the infections out there.”

If that wasn’t you, I apologize. That’s as patently absurd as saying that a Covid has been circulating here since last fall.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:21 pm

I just saw the R Bar is closing down for a few days due to exposure/contact tracing.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:13 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:21 pm
I just saw the R Bar is closing down for a few days due to exposure/contact tracing.
Smart. Short term loss, potential long term gain. That move is going to get a lot of attention from other businesses around Bozeman.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber