Covid hits MSU athletes

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:09 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:48 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:31 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:17 am
rivercat wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:42 am
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:41 pm
rivercat wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:18 pm
LCH wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:21 pm
So far in the US we have run 59,065,600 tests. Of these, 4,747,018 or 8% have been positive, this includes asymptomatic cases. Of the 4,747,018 positive cases 157,394 have died, or 3.3%. If you project this rate of positive tests and rate of death out over the 330,000,000 or so Americans you come up with about 871,200 deaths. These are the actual numbers, if you are OK with that fine. No one has to be afraid of the virus but if you don't respect it and it is too much of an imposition to wear a mask and social distance I don't know what to say.
The problem with your statistics is the testing is not random. It is concentrated on symptomatic individuals and people identified as close contacts of infected individuals. It is therefore skewed higher.

It is becoming more and more published that the mortality rate is really between 0.5 to 1% and the vast majority of deaths are elderly or individuals with pre-morbity conditions. This population should be afraid of this virus. That is the whole point of my post. Protect them and everyone else should practice good hygiene and go about life. The economy doesn't need to shut down again, schools can open (elderly teachers may need to sit out), and, in my opinion, sports can proceed with fans. My parents, in their late 70's won't attend games for the first time in many years which is the responsible decision for them.
Nice posts Rivercat. Here is an article that states over 40% of Covid deaths in the US are nursing home related.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... homes.html

You make a lot of sense, but political agendas will keep our country terrified from returning to normalcy until the election is over.
Thanks for the article. I'll wager we see that percentage go even higher. The article cites Montana as having 3 nursing home related deaths when there are more 20 deaths between the two facilities in Shelby and Billings alone.
I’ve yet to see an argument stating most deaths aren’t in nursing homes (age related). I’ve seen an argument that old person deaths aren’t as significant as young deaths, but didn’t see anyone argue that.
Well, I've heard that not all death are created equal. As someone who has held the hands of both young and old at deaths door, I didn't really see a difference. :coffee:
As someone who has lost both of my parents, a son and a granddaughter. I believe there is a huge difference.
Sorry for you losses LTC.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by Long Time Cat » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:50 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:09 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:48 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:31 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:17 am
rivercat wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:42 am
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:41 pm
rivercat wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:18 pm
LCH wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:21 pm
So far in the US we have run 59,065,600 tests. Of these, 4,747,018 or 8% have been positive, this includes asymptomatic cases. Of the 4,747,018 positive cases 157,394 have died, or 3.3%. If you project this rate of positive tests and rate of death out over the 330,000,000 or so Americans you come up with about 871,200 deaths. These are the actual numbers, if you are OK with that fine. No one has to be afraid of the virus but if you don't respect it and it is too much of an imposition to wear a mask and social distance I don't know what to say.
The problem with your statistics is the testing is not random. It is concentrated on symptomatic individuals and people identified as close contacts of infected individuals. It is therefore skewed higher.

It is becoming more and more published that the mortality rate is really between 0.5 to 1% and the vast majority of deaths are elderly or individuals with pre-morbity conditions. This population should be afraid of this virus. That is the whole point of my post. Protect them and everyone else should practice good hygiene and go about life. The economy doesn't need to shut down again, schools can open (elderly teachers may need to sit out), and, in my opinion, sports can proceed with fans. My parents, in their late 70's won't attend games for the first time in many years which is the responsible decision for them.
Nice posts Rivercat. Here is an article that states over 40% of Covid deaths in the US are nursing home related.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... homes.html

You make a lot of sense, but political agendas will keep our country terrified from returning to normalcy until the election is over.
Thanks for the article. I'll wager we see that percentage go even higher. The article cites Montana as having 3 nursing home related deaths when there are more 20 deaths between the two facilities in Shelby and Billings alone.
I’ve yet to see an argument stating most deaths aren’t in nursing homes (age related). I’ve seen an argument that old person deaths aren’t as significant as young deaths, but didn’t see anyone argue that.
Well, I've heard that not all death are created equal. As someone who has held the hands of both young and old at deaths door, I didn't really see a difference. :coffee:
As someone who has lost both of my parents, a son and a granddaughter. I believe there is a huge difference.
Sorry for you losses LTC.
Thank you for your thoughtfulness. I have learned that time and good friends help heal our hurts.

FWIW I didn’t mean to kill the thread, just share my perspective.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi