Covid hits MSU athletes

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by MSU01 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:32 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:03 pm
The fact is you can interpret the data however you want, but if if you really want college football then do your part, and tell others to do the same.
This. Simply this. It's up to us, nobody else.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:20 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:16 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:29 pm
Just look at the graph of Europe vs the graph of the USA. They are way down...we are on the way into unknown territory. Take it anyway you want
I'm hoping for football like crazy but I don't see it happening. We don't live in a vacuum there are other teams and a lot of fans...older ones!
What do the death charts look like for Europe versus U.S.?
Here’s a start.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... -usa-cases

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:30 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:17 am
onceacat wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:41 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:22 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:34 pm
Marana CAT wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:38 am
With all the covid doom and gloom in news, maybe people should look into the actual data (vs. media hysteria).

This is where we stand in Montana: On 15 April we were testing 136 people per day, we had completed 9,234 tests, 7 total deaths, 24 people in the hospital, and 399 total cases. By June 27th we were testing 1,227 people per day, an 802% increase in testing. 82,474 tests had been completed, 22 deaths, 11 hospitalizations, and 863 total cases.

What does this tell us.

On 15 Apr: Of all people tested (9234), only 4.3% (399) of people presenting flu symptoms had covid. 95.7% didnt have covid, just common flu.

On 27 June: Of all people tested (82,464), only 1.04% (863) of people presenting flu symptoms had covid. 98.96% didnt have covid, just common flu. So over the last 2.5 months the percent of people with flu symptoms who tested positive for covid-19 in Montana has dropped by 75%.

Lets look at hospitalizations: 15 April: 24 hospitalized of 202 active cases, or 11.9%. 27 Jun: 11 hospitalized of 237 active cases, or 4.64%, a 61% decrease. (95%+ of people with covid will not require admissible Medical Care)

In summary: We went from testing 136 people a day in Montana (9,234 tests on April 15th), to 1,227 tests per day (and 82,474 total tests). Active cases have only gone from 202 on 15 April to 237 on 27 June. 22 total covid deaths in a population of 1,062,000 Montanans or .002% (99.998% chance of non exposure or survival to exposure as of 27 Jun).

Lets look at things on the national level: 15 April: 2,680 covid deaths per day. 138,095 daily tests conducted.
29 Jun: 332 covid deaths per day. 569,394 daily tests conducted

This yields a 87.6% decrease in the daily death rate from covid, ON A NATIONAL LEVEL. How come we are not celebrating this? Basically, the data tells me that the news outlets are simply reporting the total number of cases and the daily increases in cases. They are not reporting that hospitalization rates have plummeted, death rates have plummeted, survival rates have skyrocketed, and they have focused entirely on "cases". Obviously, more cases are a result of massive increase in testing.

Testing 15 April: 3,287,635 total tests.
Testing 29 June: 31,557,407 total tests.

Big numbers sell more adds than decreasing death rates. Not to diminish the impact of covid-19 or its seriousness, but accurate reporting would be nice. Even with opening the state, at least here in Montana things seem to be on a positive trajectory. Keep the faith and wash your hands.

National Data: www.covidtracking.com

Montana Data: montana.maps.arcgis.com
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
This might be the best write up I have ever seen on the data. I actually think it merits national attention.
Deaths are a lagging indicator. The people who died on June 27 probably contracted Covid in May, or maybe early June. In 3 weeks, if deaths are still at 200+/- per day, we get to celebrate. If deaths start to increase around the 4th, then we know that the celebration was premature.

I guess I'm a "hope for the best, plan for the worst" sort of guy.
Actually, I believe he is comparing “like” data from each period. The early period and the late period both have the “lag” built into the numbers.

There is one very significant difference that is built into the data from each period. Virtually the only people being tested in the early period were ones that were displaying clear and obvious symptoms of some type of illness. Now in the later testing period there are lots of people being tested with no symptoms along with those who have some type of symptoms. I know for a fact that last week in my county far more asymptomatic people were tested than symptomatic people (a ratio of about 4:1). Good luck finding a ratio like that back in the early testing period. That difference alone is likely to give different results in the percentage testing positive. I do think that Marana has done a decent job but also know that more analysis would give a clearer more accurate picture.
In talking with 2 friends, one a DVM and the other a people Dr., they both agree that a virus can weaken some as it works its way through a population. I hope that is happening. Also there is little to no question that the medical community has a better handle on how to treat patients which is a definite plus. Each effort that people will do to battle this thing will help to bring a quicker end to it. Wearing a mask is so simple and has a positive effect. Just do it!

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:50 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:32 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:03 pm
The fact is you can interpret the data however you want, but if if you really want college football then do your part, and tell others to do the same.
This. Simply this. It's up to us, nobody else.
This is the most intelligent thing I've read on this board in months.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:02 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:30 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:17 am
onceacat wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:41 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:22 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:34 pm
Marana CAT wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:38 am
With all the covid doom and gloom in news, maybe people should look into the actual data (vs. media hysteria).

This is where we stand in Montana: On 15 April we were testing 136 people per day, we had completed 9,234 tests, 7 total deaths, 24 people in the hospital, and 399 total cases. By June 27th we were testing 1,227 people per day, an 802% increase in testing. 82,474 tests had been completed, 22 deaths, 11 hospitalizations, and 863 total cases.

What does this tell us.

On 15 Apr: Of all people tested (9234), only 4.3% (399) of people presenting flu symptoms had covid. 95.7% didnt have covid, just common flu.

On 27 June: Of all people tested (82,464), only 1.04% (863) of people presenting flu symptoms had covid. 98.96% didnt have covid, just common flu. So over the last 2.5 months the percent of people with flu symptoms who tested positive for covid-19 in Montana has dropped by 75%.

Lets look at hospitalizations: 15 April: 24 hospitalized of 202 active cases, or 11.9%. 27 Jun: 11 hospitalized of 237 active cases, or 4.64%, a 61% decrease. (95%+ of people with covid will not require admissible Medical Care)

In summary: We went from testing 136 people a day in Montana (9,234 tests on April 15th), to 1,227 tests per day (and 82,474 total tests). Active cases have only gone from 202 on 15 April to 237 on 27 June. 22 total covid deaths in a population of 1,062,000 Montanans or .002% (99.998% chance of non exposure or survival to exposure as of 27 Jun).

Lets look at things on the national level: 15 April: 2,680 covid deaths per day. 138,095 daily tests conducted.
29 Jun: 332 covid deaths per day. 569,394 daily tests conducted

This yields a 87.6% decrease in the daily death rate from covid, ON A NATIONAL LEVEL. How come we are not celebrating this? Basically, the data tells me that the news outlets are simply reporting the total number of cases and the daily increases in cases. They are not reporting that hospitalization rates have plummeted, death rates have plummeted, survival rates have skyrocketed, and they have focused entirely on "cases". Obviously, more cases are a result of massive increase in testing.

Testing 15 April: 3,287,635 total tests.
Testing 29 June: 31,557,407 total tests.

Big numbers sell more adds than decreasing death rates. Not to diminish the impact of covid-19 or its seriousness, but accurate reporting would be nice. Even with opening the state, at least here in Montana things seem to be on a positive trajectory. Keep the faith and wash your hands.

National Data: www.covidtracking.com

Montana Data: montana.maps.arcgis.com
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
This might be the best write up I have ever seen on the data. I actually think it merits national attention.
Deaths are a lagging indicator. The people who died on June 27 probably contracted Covid in May, or maybe early June. In 3 weeks, if deaths are still at 200+/- per day, we get to celebrate. If deaths start to increase around the 4th, then we know that the celebration was premature.

I guess I'm a "hope for the best, plan for the worst" sort of guy.
Actually, I believe he is comparing “like” data from each period. The early period and the late period both have the “lag” built into the numbers.

There is one very significant difference that is built into the data from each period. Virtually the only people being tested in the early period were ones that were displaying clear and obvious symptoms of some type of illness. Now in the later testing period there are lots of people being tested with no symptoms along with those who have some type of symptoms. I know for a fact that last week in my county far more asymptomatic people were tested than symptomatic people (a ratio of about 4:1). Good luck finding a ratio like that back in the early testing period. That difference alone is likely to give different results in the percentage testing positive. I do think that Marana has done a decent job but also know that more analysis would give a clearer more accurate picture.
In talking with 2 friends, one a DVM and the other a people Dr., they both agree that a virus can weaken some as it works its way through a population. I hope that is happening. Also there is little to no question that the medical community has a better handle on how to treat patients which is a definite plus. Each effort that people will do to battle this thing will help to bring a quicker end to it. Wearing a mask is so simple and has a positive effect. Just do it!
I totally respect your opinion and I know a lot of other people feel the way you do, but it's just an opinion. There is a huge group of people out there that don't believe the mask thing helps the situation. Sure there are a lot of lazy people out there, or selfish people that aren't going to wear a mask even if they think it helps a little. Most people choosing to not wear a mask however, aren't doing it because they're lazy or because they don't want to help their fellow man, but again - because they don't believe it helps the situation. Whether it's because they just don't think masks are effective at slowing the spread of the virus (or the slowing is more or less negligible), or they subscribe to the herd mentality thing and think it's a good idea for healthy people to get this thing, get slightly sick for a few days, and get back to work... there are differing opinions out there. Also, there are experts, professionals, PH.D.s... that back up these opinions.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:40 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:02 pm

I totally respect your opinion and I know a lot of other people feel the way you do, but it's just an opinion. There is a huge group of people out there that don't believe the mask thing helps the situation. Sure there are a lot of lazy people out there, or selfish people that aren't going to wear a mask even if they think it helps a little. Most people choosing to not wear a mask however, aren't doing it because they're lazy or because they don't want to help their fellow man, but again - because they don't believe it helps the situation. Whether it's because they just don't think masks are effective at slowing the spread of the virus (or the slowing is more or less negligible), or they subscribe to the herd mentality thing and think it's a good idea for healthy people to get this thing, get slightly sick for a few days, and get back to work... there are differing opinions out there. Also, there are experts, professionals, PH.D.s... that back up these opinions.
Surely not in epidemiology....

2024 Resume dominance

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:18 pm

7 pages, how many athletes?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:32 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:40 pm
catatac wrote:

Lots of Professional social media epidemiologists, experts in quack science, and Ph.Ds from schools you’ve never heard of.

Weird how few epidemiologists, actual licensed doctors, and experts inside the field there are that suggest such things.

MSU has a strong history in STEM fields. Is dispiriting to see many in our fan base reject STEM.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:20 am

onceacat wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:32 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
catatac wrote:

Lots of Professional social media epidemiologists, experts in quack science, and Ph.Ds from schools you’ve never heard of.

Weird how few epidemiologists, actual licensed doctors, and experts inside the field there are that suggest such things.

MSU has a strong history in STEM fields. Is dispiriting to see many in our fan base reject STEM.
What STEM is being rejected?

grizgirl
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizgirl » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:19 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:20 am
onceacat wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
catatac wrote:

The S is for science. S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

Go Dark Brandon!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:32 pm

onceacat wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
catatac wrote:

I read this a couple times and I'm not sure of your point? Sorry if I'm being dense here. Are you saying no real doctors believe that it might be OK for younger healthier people in the population to get COVID19 in order to built up immunities to it?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:03 am

COVID19 related deaths continue to drop. Yesterday saw the lowest daily death count across the country since March 23rd. It annoys the $#%& out of me that the media keeps pushing the "explosion" of new CV19 cases and talking about how it's a 2nd wave, or due to the economy opening back up, whatever strikes fear into people. The # of cases is increasing because THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE BEING TESTED IS INCREASING, period. Hopefully somebody invents another scandal, or comes up with some big lie about Trump trying the election or something, so CNN can switch their top 50 stories away from the CV19 thing over to that.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:36 am

In Montana, I believe there is more going on than can be explained by an increase in testing. I am mainly basing this on the significant increase in the number of hospitalizations.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:54 am

imacat wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:36 am
In Montana, I believe there is more going on than can be explained by an increase in testing. I am mainly basing this on the significant increase in the number of hospitalizations.
Thanks imacat, you could very well be right. Is there a link, or article speaking to the uptick in hospitalizations? I get most of my CV19 data from worldometers and it doesn't look like they track hospitalizations. I'm wondering if the uptick might be due to the increase in testing, i.e. more people testing positive, so more people being admitted to err on the safe side? Also wondering about demographics, if any of the people being admitted are young and healthy?

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:21 pm

catatac wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:32 pm
onceacat wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
catatac wrote:

I read this a couple times and I'm not sure of your point? Sorry if I'm being dense here. Are you saying no real doctors believe that it might be OK for younger healthier people in the population to get COVID19 in order to built up immunities to it?
It looks like a attempt to shame anyone that does not believe the way they do without presenting the evidence - some people don't believe that science can have multiple positions and of course, those pushing an agenda have the only opinion possible.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:38 pm

catatac wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:54 am
I'm wondering if the uptick might be due to the increase in testing, i.e. more people testing positive, so more people being admitted to err on the safe side?
Perhaps you’ve been lucky enough to never have spent any significant time around hospitals, but this is a full 180 degrees away from how every hospital in this country operates. The first thing you learn when you get admitted into a hospital is how and when they plan to send you home. Nobody is being admitted just to play it safe.

GO CATS GO!!!

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:14 pm

imacat wrote:
There’s been a significant increase in hospitalizations? In MT we are at 20 total hospitalized. Is that seriously a marked increase?

We are testing at a rate 800% higher than mid-April. That alone is going to lead to an uptick of cases. That rate of positives vs testing is still only around 4%, meaning we tested 1156 yesterday and only had 45 cases. That’s actually below 4%.

Here’s the latest kicker....this blows my mind....the CDC has asked all the states to count a positive case for anyone who tests positive for the actual virus as well as anyone who tests positive for antibodies (probably had the virus) as well as, and get this, any presumed case even without any evidence of a positive in a lab. You heard that right, they aren’t even getting a confirmed lab positive to mark down a positive case anymore, they are marking down a positive case for anyone “presumed” positive. That’s laughable at this point!

That means if you test positive for covid and someone who was around you suddenly wasn’t feeling well, they will count that person as a positive too completely based on presumption and without a confirmed lab positive case to back it up. You can’t make it up!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:52 pm

There have been almost 40 million people tested in the U.S. with almost 3 million positive tests (7.5% of people tested have been positive) and about 135,000 known deaths.

CDC says that between 5% and 20% of Americans get the flu each year. I would guess that the range would be 10% to 30-40% for Covid-19. That's a lot and I don't expect them to end up with 33-100 million positive tests as it will come down to an estimate based on the tests given. However, I would say that there'll probably be at least a good 50 million that have had it in some form.

Between 20,000 and 60,000 people die from the flu and Covid-19 looks like it'll reach around 200,000.

Play with those numbers for awhile and see what you come up with.

Here's my take:
I'm guessing we'll start seeing an increase in deaths in about a week. This surge in positive tests started on June 16 and it took about 22 days for the surge in the NE U.S. to start resulting in deaths. I doubt that it'll be as bad as that since they've already learned some things to help people. Remsdivr(sp?) being one. And the people being tested now don't make up as high of a percentage of at-risk people compared to three months ago. Hopefully it's no where near as bad, because that will help get things back to normal. Knowing that the survive rate is much higher will put a lot of worries at ease.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:32 pm

grizgirl wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:19 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:20 am
onceacat wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
catatac wrote:

The S is for science. S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

Gosh thanks.
Ok let me rephrase. What Science is being rejected here?

And while we're at it, why is it that some people are so scared to have science scrutinized and allow others to ask questions? Truth seeking scientists should welcome this! After all, we're trying to find the truth, not win an argument, right??? If the science is solid it should hold up to scrutiny. If not then it should be adjusted accordingly.

But I'm not even sure what we're talking about, he only said that it was "dispiriting" to see people reject STEM. I'm asking specifically what piece of science he feels is being rejected.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:27 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:14 pm
imacat wrote:
There’s been a significant increase in hospitalizations? In MT we are at 20 total hospitalized. Is that seriously a marked increase?

We are testing at a rate 800% higher than mid-April. That alone is going to lead to an uptick of cases. That rate of positives vs testing is still only around 4%, meaning we tested 1156 yesterday and only had 45 cases. That’s actually below 4%.

Here’s the latest kicker....this blows my mind....the CDC has asked all the states to count a positive case for anyone who tests positive for the actual virus as well as anyone who tests positive for antibodies (probably had the virus) as well as, and get this, any presumed case even without any evidence of a positive in a lab. You heard that right, they aren’t even getting a confirmed lab positive to mark down a positive case anymore, they are marking down a positive case for anyone “presumed” positive. That’s laughable at this point!

That means if you test positive for covid and someone who was around you suddenly wasn’t feeling well, they will count that person as a positive too completely based on presumption and without a confirmed lab positive case to back it up. You can’t make it up!
That is completely asinine, and ridiculous.