Covid hits MSU athletes

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Covid hits MSU athletes

Post by wbtfg » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:56 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:52 am
ibleedblue wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:39 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:45 am
So now that the masks are "mandatory", we see health places across the state cancel testing they had planned for asymptomatic individuals.

Now we'll definitely see the amount of positive cases decrease lol. It's totally just a coincidence though.
That’s exactly what’s happening. MT doesn’t have the capacity to test asymptotic individuals as that was taking 7-10 days for results, if not longer. Now they are only testing symptomatic individuals moving forward. Our testing in the last few days, because of this, has been cut in half. Funny that the positive cases have also been cut in half. But let the masses tell ya “masks are working” :roll:
88 cases in 5000 and change tests today. That's not a drop in testing, at least not yet. I believe testing of asymptomatic people will continue, but only as a part of contact tracing and not general surveillance. The mask mandate is likely to help some in crowded places. Plus, why not do it? The worst that could happen is it isn't effective, not like it'll sicken us, harm us our really adversely affect us at all. If it can help, why wouldn't we want them mandated for a time? Might avoid another shutdown. I maintain that were this state to try to pass a mandatory seat belt law today it couldn't happen. Basic public safety and health is taking a backseat to "individual liberty" when in reality no one's rights or liberties are affected in the least by a mask mandate. Might save some of your fellow members of society, though.
Where'd you see the 5,000 number? The number I see is 1280 new tests. I wish I would have kept track on what the average testing has been to know if that number is higher/lower/same as the past few weeks.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:58 am

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:55 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:47 am
onceacat wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:10 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:54 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:02 am
If Bullock is putting out the mask mandate due to prior knowledge of testing backlogs it appears to be a bad plan. Not saying he did that, but it seems like a bad idea. It’ll be interesting to see if someone from Pureview or some other testing facility comes forward as a whistleblower. I know I would.
I was being a bit facetious with the conspiracy stuff, I'm sure it's not. But it sucks we're not gonna be able to tell whether the mask mandate was effective or not, and to what degree, when the numbers go down. Because they will go down now with reduced testing and masking. It's just going to continue the divisiveness, I think. The right will say of course it went down, we reduced our testing, masks are the devil. The left will say masks were the key the whole time, we all knew it last January, will blame Trump for not doing a national mask mandate, and praise Bullock for doing one 4 months in.
Thats only partly true. The positive test rate of asymptomatic people is (for obvious reasons) really low. I'd love to see if someone has numbers on how low, but I can't find it quickly. At any rate, if the positivity rate of symptomatic & at risk testing drops, we will have a pretty high confidence that the mask mandate worked. If the symptomatic positivity rate keeps going up, we will have a pretty good idea that the mask mandate didn't work.

Ending the out of state testing is a bummer, but it doesn't mean that our current testing percentages are useless by a long stretch.
Here's the problem with all the discussions relative data (at least from a professional perspective). Until the data has been peer reviewed and the journal editors have approved the large volumes of studies and have actually replicated the tests, all you have is a collection of useless datum. That is to say, where we are now is similar to presenting a scientific study to a group of journalists who, in all probability, haven't taken Stat 101 and could no more explain basic stat vocabulary let alone read the various and assorted statistical measures being applied to said tests than frequent online chatroom posters. Hell, what poster here, in all honesty, can explain the differences between a z-test, t-test, chi-square, whether the experiementer ought to run a one-tailed or two-tailed anova. In fact, I'd venture very few could actually look at the tests and correctly read the findings and agree whether or not the fu*cking test is even statistically significant. Christ man...

All the reporters are doing is looking at the datum. What is the starting point? They don't have a clue as to what they are even talking about as they don't even have access to the actual data and even if they did, they can't read it let alone explain it in layman's terms.
Oh man, flashbacks to my Stat classes at MSU. I remember all the words you said, but what they mean exactly... :lol:

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:04 am

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:30 am
The Butcher wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:27 am
CelticCat wrote:
Oh man, flashbacks to my Stat classes at MSU. I remember all the words you said, but what they mean exactly... :lol:
I still have nightmares from Stats 217! :-k
Same....with professor Miguel Paz. I still remember him 20+ years later. haha
Because you couldn't understand a word he said? His accent was thick! I had his wife for Spanish in high school as well and it was like learning Spanish from a non English speaker. Sink or swim!

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:05 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
So now that the masks are "mandatory", we see health places across the state cancel testing they had planned for asymptomatic individuals.

Now we'll definitely see the amount of positive cases decrease lol. It's totally just a coincidence though.
That’s exactly what’s happening. MT doesn’t have the capacity to test asymptotic individuals as that was taking 7-10 days for results, if not longer. Now they are only testing symptomatic individuals moving forward. Our testing in the last few days, because of this, has been cut in half. Funny that the positive cases have also been cut in half. But let the masses tell ya “masks are working” :roll:
88 cases in 5000 and change tests today. That's not a drop in testing, at least not yet. I believe testing of asymptomatic people will continue, but only as a part of contact tracing and not general surveillance. The mask mandate is likely to help some in crowded places. Plus, why not do it? The worst that could happen is it isn't effective, not like it'll sicken us, harm us our really adversely affect us at all. If it can help, why wouldn't we want them mandated for a time? Might avoid another shutdown. I maintain that were this state to try to pass a mandatory seat belt law today it couldn't happen. Basic public safety and health is taking a backseat to "individual liberty" when in reality no one's rights or liberties are affected in the least by a mask mandate. Might save some of your fellow members of society, though.
Guessing those 5k test numbers that just showed up today were a back log as they weren’t showing that number earlier? I was referring to the 1280 tests from Sunday that captured 62 new cases. Those 1280 tests were about half of what the state was doing just days prior. The state was averaging close to 2900 tests for a while and then that dipped to 1300 the last few days, prior to this 5k anomaly.

https://www.kbzk.com/news/coronavirus/m ... ay-july-19

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:07 am

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:56 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Where'd you see the 5,000 number? The number I see is 1280 new tests. I wish I would have kept track on what the average testing has been to know if that number is higher/lower/same as the past few weeks.
Yes, Sunday there were only 1280 tests (which was about half of what the state had been doing prior) to produce the 62 cases. And yes, the testing (prior to the 5k test anomaly that showed up today) was cut in half compared to what the state was producing on average recently. Here are the graphs

https://dphhs.mt.gov/publichealth/cdepi ... mographics

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:09 am

ibleedblue wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:07 am
wbtfg wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Yes, Sunday there were only 1280 tests (which was about half of what the state had been doing prior) to produce the 62 cases. And yes, the testing (prior to the 5k test anomaly that showed up today) was cut in half compared to what the state was producing on average recently. Here are the graphs

great graphs....thanks!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:19 am

All these threads are similar to watching a review of a TD catch.

The replay clearly shows 2 feet in bounds and control of the football. Most agree that it was a TD, but some will disagree with the call despite the evidence. Then there's the small but vocal group that say it shouldn't have been a TD because the LG was holding.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:38 am

CelticCat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:47 am
onceacat wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:10 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:54 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:02 am
If Bullock is putting out the mask mandate due to prior knowledge of testing backlogs it appears to be a bad plan. Not saying he did that, but it seems like a bad idea. It’ll be interesting to see if someone from Pureview or some other testing facility comes forward as a whistleblower. I know I would.
I was being a bit facetious with the conspiracy stuff, I'm sure it's not. But it sucks we're not gonna be able to tell whether the mask mandate was effective or not, and to what degree, when the numbers go down. Because they will go down now with reduced testing and masking. It's just going to continue the divisiveness, I think. The right will say of course it went down, we reduced our testing, masks are the devil. The left will say masks were the key the whole time, we all knew it last January, will blame Trump for not doing a national mask mandate, and praise Bullock for doing one 4 months in.
Thats only partly true. The positive test rate of asymptomatic people is (for obvious reasons) really low. I'd love to see if someone has numbers on how low, but I can't find it quickly. At any rate, if the positivity rate of symptomatic & at risk testing drops, we will have a pretty high confidence that the mask mandate worked. If the symptomatic positivity rate keeps going up, we will have a pretty good idea that the mask mandate didn't work.

Ending the out of state testing is a bummer, but it doesn't mean that our current testing percentages are useless by a long stretch.
Here's the problem with all the discussions relative data (at least from a professional perspective). Until the data has been peer reviewed and the journal editors have approved the large volumes of studies and have actually replicated the tests, all you have is a collection of useless datum. That is to say, where we are now is similar to presenting a scientific study to a group of journalists who, in all probability, haven't taken Stat 101 and could no more explain basic stat vocabulary let alone read the various and assorted statistical measures being applied to said tests than frequent online chatroom posters. Hell, what poster here, in all honesty, can explain the differences between a z-test, t-test, chi-square, whether the experiementer ought to run a one-tailed or two-tailed anova. In fact, I'd venture very few could actually look at the tests and correctly read the findings and agree whether or not the fu*cking test is even statistically significant. Christ man...

All the reporters are doing is looking at the datum. What is the starting point? They don't have a clue as to what they are even talking about as they don't even have access to the actual data and even if they did, they can't read it let alone explain it in layman's terms.
This article addresses much of what is happening today, rather nicely. I've taken six stat classes collegiately, a few in military courses, yet I still have to review standard deviation just to understand the significance, statistically, of the study. Then I have to dig out my APA format just to read the number crunching.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/20/opin ... e=Homepage

When I was a kid washing my hands in the restroom, there'd almost always be someone come by and state "I learned to not piss on my hands." as they left. One can only assume they are part of the anti-mask crowd or those who sit their beer on top of the urinal instead of leaving it at the bar.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:52 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Lol.

The tests that are reported today were taken 7-10 days ago most likely. They don't reflect the amount of tests taken today.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:24 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:07 am
wbtfg wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

If you compare the 1,280 on Sunday to past Sundays, you will see that 1,280 is actually very comparable for a Sunday. It might have something to do with limited access to doctors on the weekend.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:51 pm

I still think we should do what Trump suggested and just stop testing. Cases will plummet and all will be good. 8) :-^

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:27 pm

This sums up the mask issue:

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:38 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:27 pm
This sums up the mask issue:

Great find, thanks for the levity...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:40 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:52 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Lol.

The tests that are reported today were taken 7-10 days ago most likely. They don't reflect the amount of tests taken today.
1800 tests yesterday, 224 positives. How's your theory aging so far? Still waiting on that fake decline in cases due to the propping up of that tyrannical face mask mandate...

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:19 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:40 am
bobcat99 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Lol.

1800 tests yesterday, 224 positives. How's your theory aging so far? Still waiting on that fake decline in cases due to the propping up of that tyrannical face mask mandate...
Oh fer cute, Goldstone was able to cherry pick one singular day of stats to help it fit his narrative...isn’t that special 😂

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:44 am

ibleedblue wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:19 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Lol.

Oh fer cute, Goldstone was able to cherry pick one singular day of stats to help it fit his narrative...isn’t that special 😂
Positive test rate staying remarkably consistent, actually. Yesterday was anomalous in that it was much higher, but today back around that 5-7% area we've been hovering for a month. I don't have a narrative. 99s narrative was that "they" would test less to achieve less overall positives, thereby justifying the mask mandate. It's a flawed theory, and I'm pushing back on it. Go pick a day in the past week. One low positive rate day, one high, most right in the same area. My point is there's no conspiracy in the data, as bad as some want there to be.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:39 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:44 am
ibleedblue wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Lol.

Positive test rate staying remarkably consistent, actually. Yesterday was anomalous in that it was much higher, but today back around that 5-7% area we've been hovering for a month. I don't have a narrative. 99s narrative was that "they" would test less to achieve less overall positives, thereby justifying the mask mandate. It's a flawed theory, and I'm pushing back on it. Go pick a day in the past week. One low positive rate day, one high, most right in the same area. My point is there's no conspiracy in the data, as bad as some want there to be.
I'm not saying the mask mandate is 100% going to cause a decline in cases, but given the incubation period of COVID-19 and the time it takes for testing results to be received, the majority of the cases being announced now would've been contracted before the mask mandate went into effect. If a week or two from now the numbers stay where they are, then there's more room for discussion about its effectiveness.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:42 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:44 am
ibleedblue wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Lol.

If you do fewer tests, you'll get fewer positive results than if you tested more. There is nothing flawed about it.
Last edited by 91catAlum on Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LCH
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LCH » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:56 am

The absolute number of positive tests is less important than the percentage of positive results per number tested.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:52 pm

LCH wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:56 am
The absolute number of positive tests is less important than the percentage of positive results per number tested.
Which number is reported by the media?