2020 Football: FAQ's

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2020 Football: FAQ's

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:31 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:04 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:29 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:40 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:08 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:13 pm
If the games are played but season ticket holders aren't allowed to attend will the school be providing free access to watch the game online? I often pay to watch the games that I don't attend or can't find for free online (I live out of state) but my decision not to attend the games in the past has been my decision. If the school takes that decision away from me I don't think I should have to pay for alternate viewing options (regardless of who holds the broadcast rights).
Choate mentioned this last month. One of the options being discussed, if it comes down to no fans in the stands, is to broadcast the games on some type of closed-circuit where season ticket holders get access to the games.
I would hope that if they do this, they include a per game price as well similar to single game ticket sales. They may not be able to get as much per person as they would for a butt in a seat but I'll bet a fair amount of fans would pay 20 bucks a game to get access to the closed circuit broadcast. They have to be careful though, because I would think they risk alienating the casual fan and even those who can only make it to a game or two a year, or possibly no games but like to watch on TV if it's only available to season ticket holders.
Ya, if the technology is available to them, I would love to see a PPV per game option too. That would be ideal.
As far as alienating fans who don't attend many games but like to watch on TV for free - I don't think they need to worry TOO much about that because those folks don't bring in any $$$ to the program. Hopefully the main concern is keeping season ticket holders happy so that the program keeps that money, rather than having to issue refunds, or credits toward 2021. Their main concern certainly is staying afloat financially this season.
What about the folks in other states though that can't make it to games every year? I didn't necessarily mean only the casual fans, but the rabid fans as well who live too far come to games. They may be making donations to the program since they can't buy season tickets. I just don't want to see everyone but season ticket holders left with no video viewing options for games. If I didn't have season tickets I would pay 20 a game to watch from my couch if no fans were allowed this year.
Ya, its a good point. Ideally, they'd figure out some sort of PPV option for everyone, not just season ticket holders.
I mean, if it comes to that. But i think the bigger source of $$$ is from season ticket holders. If there are out of state folks contributing money, I dont see that ending based on football on TV.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:53 pm

I would really miss not being able to watch the games. But there is always radio. That would work for a year... Wonder how the BRAWL would be affected?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:05 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:53 pm
I would really miss not being able to watch the games. But there is always radio. That would work for a year... Wonder how the BRAWL would be affected?
Listening on the radio isn't too bad, especially if you've watched the team play a lot and know who all the players are. Radio has always been my fallback for when Pluto or the team website crashes.

I'm just glad Cat/griz is a road game this year and I wouldn't be going in any scenario.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:57 am

It seems like the idea of delaying the season to winter/ spring semester is gaining traction, more than playing fall football with empty stands. (IF a normal season doesn't happen in the fall).

It's not a terrible idea but it wouldn't be great for Northern/ cold weather schools that do not have an indoor practice option. Imagine having to do "fall camp" with all the position battles in January outside in Bozeman.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:08 am

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:57 am
It seems like the idea of delaying the season to winter/ spring semester is gaining traction, more than playing fall football with empty stands. (IF a normal season doesn't happen in the fall).

It's not a terrible idea but it wouldn't be great for Northern/ cold weather schools that do not have an indoor practice option. Imagine having to do "fall camp" with all the position battles in January outside in Bozeman.
What's the logic behind delaying the season to peak cold/flu season when a real second wave is more likely, especially when there won't be a vaccine available yet (and definitely not in large enough quantities to cover the entire population)?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:33 am

91catAlum wrote:

I don't have a problem with this, except for the fact that guys who know they are going to be drafted just won't play if there is a spring season. Fringe guys or guys looking to improve their draft stock will play, but guys who know they will be going in the 1st couple rounds just won't play. It'll be like opting out of bowl games but it'll be the full season instead. This would obviously be a bigger deal for the Power 5 than the FCS. Just pointing that out though.

Edit: I forgot to add that a spring season might work for everyone if the NFL works with the NCAA and moves the draft back a couple months next year.
Last edited by BleedingBLue on Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:35 am

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:08 am
91catAlum wrote:

What's the logic behind delaying the season to peak cold/flu season when a real second wave is more likely, especially when there won't be a vaccine available yet (and definitely not in large enough quantities to cover the entire population)?
Ya, I dont know. Perhaps the thinking is that there is hope for a vaccine by the first of the year, or that we'll have developed enough herd immunity by then. Or perhaps they are just delaying it with the intention of re-evaluating around December. Nothing decided yet, at the moment MSU is still planning on a football season in the fall.

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:34 pm

91catAlum wrote:

Because we have such a great history with spring ball and the weather.

December cold is much different than January, February and March snow and cold

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:38 am

kcatz wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:34 pm
91catAlum wrote:

Ya good point. Definitely worse weather in those months compared to Autumn months. I'm still hoping for a fall season. They will need to make a decision soon, fall camp is supposed to start in less than 4 weeks.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:32 am

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:38 am
kcatz wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Ya good point. Definitely worse weather in those months compared to Autumn months. I'm still hoping for a fall season. They will need to make a decision soon, fall camp is supposed to start in less than 4 weeks.
Just in case you forgot:
Spring 2021 in Northern Hemisphere will begin on
Saturday, March 20
and ends on
Sunday, June 20
But you're right, we're just going to have it in the fall. People are over Covid-19 and are ready to move on. Time to man up and play/watch some football!!!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:00 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:32 am
91catAlum wrote:
kcatz wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Just in case you forgot:
Saturday, March 20
and ends on
Sunday, June 20
Not sure what your point is here? Are you saying a Spring season wouldn't start until March?
If there is a Spring season, my guess would be that the Natty would be no later than early June since school ends in early May, and the 2021 season would hopefully be back on the regular schedule. That would put the playoffs in May, and thus, the regular season in Feb, March, April, with "Fall Camp" in January.

ICRobots
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by ICRobots » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:25 am

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:00 am
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
kcatz wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Just in case you forgot:
Saturday, March 20
and ends on
Sunday, June 20
Not sure what your point is here? Are you saying a Spring season wouldn't start until March?
If there is a Spring season, my guess would be that the Natty would be no later than early June since school ends in early May, and the 2021 season would hopefully be back on the regular schedule. That would put the playoffs in May, and thus, the regular season in Feb, March, April, with "Fall Camp" in January.
I don't believe this is in the best interest of the student-athlete. Ending a full football season in April or May and expecting them to start up again 3 months later for another full season is to much for an athletes body. Would like to hear some opinions of those who have played the game at this level.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:03 am

ICRobots wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:25 am
91catAlum wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
kcatz wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Just in case you forgot:
Saturday, March 20
and ends on
Sunday, June 20
I don't believe this is in the best interest of the student-athlete. Ending a full football season in April or May and expecting them to start up again 3 months later for another full season is to much for an athletes body. Would like to hear some opinions of those who have played the game at this level.
They’ll start it on the normal date. Don’t worry. If they don’t there’ll be riots the likes of which you’ve never seen before. Trump will activate all of our incredible military to ensure there are games and fans at the games. It’s time to move on from this fake pandemic. Stop the testing!

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:14 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:04 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:29 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:40 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:08 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:13 pm
If the games are played but season ticket holders aren't allowed to attend will the school be providing free access to watch the game online? I often pay to watch the games that I don't attend or can't find for free online (I live out of state) but my decision not to attend the games in the past has been my decision. If the school takes that decision away from me I don't think I should have to pay for alternate viewing options (regardless of who holds the broadcast rights).
Choate mentioned this last month. One of the options being discussed, if it comes down to no fans in the stands, is to broadcast the games on some type of closed-circuit where season ticket holders get access to the games.
I would hope that if they do this, they include a per game price as well similar to single game ticket sales. They may not be able to get as much per person as they would for a butt in a seat but I'll bet a fair amount of fans would pay 20 bucks a game to get access to the closed circuit broadcast. They have to be careful though, because I would think they risk alienating the casual fan and even those who can only make it to a game or two a year, or possibly no games but like to watch on TV if it's only available to season ticket holders.
Ya, if the technology is available to them, I would love to see a PPV per game option too. That would be ideal.
As far as alienating fans who don't attend many games but like to watch on TV for free - I don't think they need to worry TOO much about that because those folks don't bring in any $$$ to the program. Hopefully the main concern is keeping season ticket holders happy so that the program keeps that money, rather than having to issue refunds, or credits toward 2021. Their main concern certainly is staying afloat financially this season.
What about the folks in other states though that can't make it to games every year? I didn't necessarily mean only the casual fans, but the rabid fans as well who live too far come to games. They may be making donations to the program since they can't buy season tickets. I just don't want to see everyone but season ticket holders left with no video viewing options for games. If I didn't have season tickets I would pay 20 a game to watch from my couch if no fans were allowed this year.
As a season ticket holder I still agree with the idea that every bobcat fan should have a workable option to view games, wherever they live or are traveling and that should not require a subscription to a cable TV service. The conference really needs so provide an option like this but am thinking the root sports deal pretty much limits them at this point.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

ICRobots
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by ICRobots » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:47 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:03 am
ICRobots wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
kcatz wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Just in case you forgot:
Saturday, March 20
and ends on
Sunday, June 20
They’ll start it on the normal date. Don’t worry. If they don’t there’ll be riots the likes of which you’ve never seen before. Trump will activate all of our incredible military to ensure there are games and fans at the games. It’s time to move on from this fake pandemic. Stop the testing!
Well that escalated quickly. Not sure what you read into my post. Just a pure concern for the well-being of our student-athletes.

If they move the season to spring, the student-athletes will be in a football season from Jan-April and then Aug-Dec (counting fall camps). That's 9 out of 12 months of 2021. My feeling/opinion, If they cancel fall, it should be cancelled for the year.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:53 am

ICRobots wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:47 am
iaafan wrote:
ICRobots wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
kcatz wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Just in case you forgot:
Saturday, March 20
and ends on
Sunday, June 20
Well that escalated quickly. Not sure what you read into my post. Just a pure concern for the well-being of our student-athletes.

If they move the season to spring, the student-athletes will be in a football season from Jan-April and then Aug-Dec (counting fall camps). That's 9 out of 12 months of 2021. My feeling/opinion, If they cancel fall, it should be cancelled for the year.
I said the same thing. Doesn't seem practical.

This won't effect many in FCS, but I was wondering about top NFL prospects in the FBS. If they moved ball to spring would those kids even play? The draft is in April. This would be smack in the middle of the season if moved to spring. The logistics of it just seem overwhelming. Glad I don't have to figure it out.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:25 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:53 am
ICRobots wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ICRobots wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
kcatz wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Just in case you forgot:
Saturday, March 20
and ends on
Sunday, June 20

This won't effect many in FCS, but I was wondering about top NFL prospects in the FBS. If they moved ball to spring would those kids even play? The draft is in April. This would be smack in the middle of the season if moved to spring. The logistics of it just seem overwhelming. Glad I don't have to figure it out.
Bingo! That's a huge issue. I just don't see it happening. If FBS stays fall, then FCS will, too. Most FCS teams have sparse home attendance, so no need to move season.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:32 am

ilovethecats wrote:
ICRobots wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ICRobots wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
kcatz wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Just in case you forgot:
Saturday, March 20
and ends on
Sunday, June 20

I've said the same thing multiple times about a spring season and the top prospects. I really doubt most would play if they already know they are a lock to be a draft pick in the 1st few rounds. A spring season that starts earlier than March doesn't seem feasible either. Can you imagine playing in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Montana etc etc in February? There's a reason the NFL doesn't like playing the Super Bowl outdoors in the Northern US.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:14 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:32 am
ilovethecats wrote:
ICRobots wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ICRobots wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
kcatz wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Just in case you forgot:
Saturday, March 20
and ends on
Sunday, June 20

I've said the same thing multiple times about a spring season and the top prospects. I really doubt most would play if they already know they are a lock to be a draft pick in the 1st few rounds. A spring season that starts earlier than March doesn't seem feasible either. Can you imagine playing in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Montana etc etc in February? There's a reason the NFL doesn't like playing the Super Bowl outdoors in the Northern US.
It'll start at the normal time or it'll look like a joke unless it's an abnormally mild winter. What's the Famer's Almanac say?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:36 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:32 am
ilovethecats wrote:
ICRobots wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ICRobots wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
kcatz wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Just in case you forgot:
Saturday, March 20
and ends on
Sunday, June 20

I would be okay with a mid-March start. Some cold days, but November can be way worse! Preseason practice starting in February would be an issue.