2020 Football: FAQ's

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: 2020 Football: FAQ's

Post by coochorama42 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:04 pm

I think the FCS has the ability to be quite creative this year if spring football can happen. In my opinion, this will take a vaccine (for fans in the stands) or phenomenal testing and contact tracing otherwise. Probably need to limit the regular season to conference games only (unless FBS is willing to pay out in the spring). Then reduce the playoffs to either 16 or 8 teams. Perhaps assign each conference a set number of spots and allow them to have a week for conference playoffs.

For instance, in an 8 team playoff scenario, the Big Sky, CAA, and MVFC are probably each guaranteed one team with all five other playoff spots at-large. If allowed a one-week playoff, the Big Sky could have 2 vs. 3 (and 1 vs. 4).

In this case, you play a six game regular season (3 at home, three on the road) and up to four additional weeks (conference championship and a three-week postseason).

For a 16 game playoff, you just go back to the old format but again have six regular season games. Again, you end in 10 total weeks.

The entire schedule can be condensed from late February to early May.

The 8 team playoff has its advantages because the real title contenders are generally very limited and if you're trying to limit exposure, this is it. I see a huge issue with a shortened season and no universal redshirt. Teams have no reason to be competitive if they lose 3 of their first 4 games and may choose to pull their starters for the last two games, making them uncompetitive.

What will happen with scholarship limits, if no (or limited) football? I'm assuming the NCAA is going to have to allow exceptions to scholarship limits for a while...

If playing football in the fall and assuming no playoffs, why would you let ANYONE who has not redshirted play more than 4 games? I would rather go 0-8 in a lost season than lose eligibility of players who would be willing to stick around another year.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2020 Football: FAQ's

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:00 pm

A better question regarding scholarships is how do you pay for scholarships with no football.