MSU: Stadium plans for games

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU: Stadium plans for games

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:29 pm

Speak for yourself unless you are over 70!

2024 Resume dominance

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:37 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:11 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:38 pm
onceacat wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:31 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:00 pm
onceacat wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:30 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:25 pm
RickRund wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:11 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:14 pm
RickRund wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:28 pm
I did read a short piece from a doctor that states the virus is weakening as it mutates... Sure would be nice. Then people would not be so panicky.
Yep, several doctors have been saying this, but that’s not very scary so it’s been determined to be hogwash. Bad sources.

Then there are these doctors and epidemiologists that have said what some of us have been saying for months. They believe FAR more people have been infected and the virus has been amongst us FAR longer than first thought. Of course if this were to be true, it’d make the entire thing even less scary and the death and hospitalization rate almost non-existent. And that’s not very scary and really makes light of things so they’re likely fake epidemiologists and thus more bad sources....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nearly-9-mil ... 00321.html
Our Granddaughter and Great Grandson were VERY sick in late Nov, early Dec. Neither her hubby nor our Great Granddaughter "showed" any symptoms...
Glad they are ok.

I'm obviously not speaking in certain terms here. The data changes daily. But there has long been speculation that this thing may have been around far longer than we currently know. Now we have actual epidemiologists that are saying the same thing. And that millions more have been infected than we thought. They most certainly can be wrong. But it proves my point from months ago that it's not like all scientists and doctors and experts and all in 100% agreement and then you just have nut jobs like me asking questions.

There's a ton of factors in play. I maintain this thing could be WAY worse than I am currently giving it credit for. It might harm or even kill way more than I think. I just wish more people on the other side of the fence would at least acknowledge the mere idea that it just might not be as terrible and deadly as you might believe watching tv every night.
I mean, I know it killed 500,000+ people in the last 3 months, but I wish people would just consider the possibility that maybe it isn't that deadly. :shock:
Just for my own sake, when discussing deaths from Covid, will it always be the “last three months”? Because what I’m reading is we’re about to enter our 7th month next week of dealing with this thing. And that’s just cases we know about. Some people far smarter than myself are now speculating that it’s been around going back to last fall. Regardless, in the grand scheme of life, with people being born every day and people dying of a plethora of reasons every day, 484,000 deaths in 6 months that we know about shouldn’t shut down the world. Especially considering there’s almost 8 billion people on this planet. And worldwide 9.5 million have been tested positive. Who knows how many more there may be?

Just my opinion of course!
Its the leading cause of death in the US. And trust me, nobody smarter than you is seriously suggesting that its been around longer (edit: some smart people with an agenda might be spreading that bit of misinformation).

It amazing how much disinformation people still take seriously & spread via social media this far in after we all know better.
I agree about the misinformation for sure. Do you still stand by your comments that it has killed 500,000 people in 3 months? I noticed you didn’t respond when I disputed that. I have yet to be able to find a single source that has shown this is the case. 500,000 people in only 3 months just doesn’t seem accurate but I’ll be concede to be wrong if you can show me any proof of that.

In regards to people besides myself thinking this virus has been around longer than we know, do you honestly not think that’s possible? Our first case known case was listed as January 20th. We know it was already spreading overseas over a month before that. Again, that’s that we know of. People were still coming and going from China every day. You really are confident that the first case we know about, without a shadow of doubt was the 20th of January? I’ll just say I’ll be amazed if we don’t learn we had cases before then.

It’s like months ago when I and many others speculated that there was probably WAY more people infected that we knew about. Based on our testing early on alone, it seems obvious there were probably way more positive cases. I was told this was irresponsible to even suggest. Now, people far smarter than I, epidemiologists and scientists, are suggesting that our positive cases may have been 80x higher than thought, and doubled twice as fast as we thought.

However, I admit this will be passed along as nothing more than bad information. I learned months ago that anything painting a picture of this virus being the scariest and deadliest thing we can imagine is basically gospel. Nothing can dispute it. Any other information, that may go against that information, that shows it’s not near as deadly as first thought, is bad, irresponsible misinformation. So I won’t argue those points anymore as I don’t know there is any info that could possibly come out that would make those so fearful of this virus change their minds.

My personal opinion has always been if we learn this thing has been around longer than we think (impossible I know) and has infected way more than we think (impossible I know), than it totally changes everything.
Per worldometers.com there have been 507,200 total deaths. Almost all of those have been since March 29, 2020. Looks like about 470,000 in the past three months.
Yes, I'm sticking with 500,000+ deaths in 3 months, with no let up in sight. 470,000 confirmed, and we know with 100% certainty that the US is undercounting deaths, so we can be pretty certain that most of the rest of the world is also undercounting.

Not one single legitimate scientist is suggesting 80x people have contracted Covid. Where do you even come up with this junk? Best scientific guesses range from 2x-11x.

This is not the scariest thing imaginable. These sorts of respiratory illnesses are fairly common. We see a new one every decade or so (MERS, SARS, etc) its simply a matter of Facebook epidemiologists deliberately spreading misinformation.

According to current numbers, 1 out of 20 people who've contracted this have died. Obviously, people with co-morbidities die at higher rates, and younger, healthier populations are less vulnerable. When all the data finally comes in, it seems pretty likely that 1% of people who contract it die, and another 10-20% have long term respiratory problems.

At this point, less than halfway through the year, its already killed more people than annually die from homicide annually. Its already killed more people than annually die from war, natural disaster, drugs, alcohol, and terrorism combined. By years end, it will probably have killed more people than tuberculosis or automobile accidents. And that's with a massive effort to slow the spread until a virus can be developed.

The media doesn't have to do anything other than report facts to make this scary.

But, of course, the solution is really easy: Wear masks, avoid large crowds, wash your hands...we will flatten the curve and save hundreds of thousands of lives...and maybe, just maybe, if Facebook epidemiologists pull their heads out of the behinds for a couple of months, we can be like Europe and have sports again in the fall.

Or we can continue to pretend like using basic common sense is a political issue and suffer through a second wave of shutdowns once we realized how badly we handled May and June.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:19 am

onceacat wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:24 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:55 pm
catatac wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:38 pm

COVID is only shooting up because we're testing more.....
I can't speak to the rest of your post, but I've found the "spikes" related to this virus to be pretty funny actually.

From January 22nd to March 22nd we tested just under 255,000 people TOTAL! And even that doesn't tell the whole story because from January 22nd to February 22nd we tested barely over a 100 people. So we obviously ramped it up.

As of yesterday, we have tested over 27,084,000 Americans. To me this is great news. I wish everyone could get tested. Obviously the more tests given, the more positive cases we'll see. Can anyone even dispute that?

So you'll have to forgive me that I don't shake in my boots every time I turn on the tv and they're talking about "huge spikes", "2nd waves", and possibly another shutdown. It's honestly disingenuous and all it does is cause fear.

Do people honestly feel less safe now than they did a few months ago because we have so many more cases? I can't wrap my head around that.

https://covidtracking.com/data/us-daily
That's only relevant if your percentage of positive tests is declining. Which makes sense...if you have enough tests to check asymptomatic people, like football players returning to campus, then your positive percentage of tests will decline. Which means that life can return to normal, and we can do things like have football with full stadiums again.

Unfortunately, the percentage of positive tests is INCREASING...Which means that our increase in testing is only keeping up with the spread of the disease. Which of course, is going to cause large parts of the country to not have football, basketball, concerts, or anything else fun until people get their s*** together and just follow basic common sense.

If people use common sense & listen to their doctors, there's a chance to save football this year.

If people turn this into a political issue and refuse, then we won't. Its pretty elementary stuff.
Agree on the political point of your post. No need for it, don’t buy into it.

Can’t wrap my mind around the other part. Not saying that to be a dick. I just don’t understand what you’re saying.

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:53 am

I had a conversation with the Chief of Staff here at our local hospital for a community about the same size as Bozeman. He told 6 or 8 of us at the table that you can take the Covid test one day and test positive and take the same test the next day and test negative. So with that said the stats you need to follow are the ACTUAL death rate, which no one knows.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:01 am

St George wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:53 am
I had a conversation with the Chief of Staff here at our local hospital for a community about the same size as Bozeman. He told 6 or 8 of us at the table that you can take the Covid test one day and test positive and take the same test the next day and test negative. So with that said the stats you need to follow are the ACTUAL death rate, which no one knows.
You were at a table with 6-8 other people?! :penalty:

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:12 am

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:01 am
St George wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:53 am
You were at a table with 6-8 other people?! :penalty:
It was a big table that normally seats 25 :lol:

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:28 pm

Bobcatstan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcatstan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:45 pm

Yes I agree, not good. In our lemming society, all other conferences will probably jump the cliff of hysteria and cancel all sports. Life as we know it is gone thanks to mass hysteria driven by media and politics. PERIOD!!!!!!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:47 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:28 pm
Not good.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... s-pandemic
There's no question the Ivy League could -- and probably will -- influence other FCS leagues as they grapple with the costs of repeatedly testing student-athletes for the coronavirus. It's arguably an easier decision to make at that level because the FCS sports receive institutional funding and support, so while an athletic department might feel the economic crunch the university is experiencing, it isn't dependent upon college football or an accompanying TV contract to support its other sports.
This paragraph tells you all you need to know about the quality of the article. The Ivy League is probably the only FCS conference where the athletic department as a whole isn't dependent on football revenue, regardless of whether additional funding comes from a school's general fund or not.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:57 pm

Hopefully if we have a season there isn't an arbitrary % of capacity limit on fans. It should be either 0% or 100% (maybe with some kind of screening process if one makes logical sense). Anything in the middle would accomplish nothing.

If you let any fans in you have to let the students in; they're forced to pay for athletic fees. Once you let students in there's no valid reason to not let season ticket holders in and they aren't going to accept not being allowed to sit in their specific seats. At that point social distancing is out the window so let single game ticket holders in. The other option is 0% fans and then the schools lose a ton of money. That's probably what it comes down to. If ADs don't feel confident they won't be blamed for an outbreak they just won't allow fans. But if that swings football to a net loss then they'll probably just cancel the season.

As much as it would suck, I'd prefer cancelling the season over postponing it to the spring. Postponing would either just lead to a delayed cancellation or two full seasons in one calendar year. The fall season would probably set injury records.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:03 pm

The Ivy League has canceled fall sports.

https://www.thescore.com/ncaah/news/1983803

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:10 pm

I heard something on the radio today that kids account for such a small percentage of Covid sickness and deaths, that school should be resumes in the fall. I did a google search and found this article from the Wall Street Journal.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-eviden ... 1590017095

Quote from the article:
“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported last week that 15 children under age 15 in the U.S. have died of Covid-19 since February compared to about 200 who died of the flu and pneumonia. Children represent 0.02% of virus fatalities in the U.S., and very few have been hospitalized.”

I didn’t look up how college age students are affected, but I would think that they have pretty solid immune systems as well. It would see that the Ivy League is overreacting by shutting all classes down. Spectators are an older crowd, but if you are immune comprised, common sense would dictate that person stays away from crowds.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:03 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:10 pm
I heard something on the radio today that kids account for such a small percentage of Covid sickness and deaths, that school should be resumes in the fall. I did a google search and found this article from the Wall Street Journal.

Quote from the article:
“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported last week that 15 children under age 15 in the U.S. have died of Covid-19 since February compared to about 200 who died of the flu and pneumonia. Children represent 0.02% of virus fatalities in the U.S., and very few have been hospitalized.”

I didn’t look up how college age students are affected, but I would think that they have pretty solid immune systems as well. It would see that the Ivy League is overreacting by shutting all classes down. Spectators are an older crowd, but if you are immune comprised, common sense would dictate that person stays away from crowds.
Plus, kids don’t spread diseases.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:10 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:03 pm
Cataholic wrote:

Quote from the article:

Don't be a jerk, Tom.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:18 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Quote from the article:

I think they do. But they can’t spread then to people fearful of viruses who are hunkered down at home an “social distancing”. You know, like we were all forced to do a few months ago. So it obviously works!

They might spread them to other people not fearful of having viruses spread to them. Who will pass them to others who in theory shouldn’t be fearful. But the rest of people should be fine. They’re hanging out at home, rarely going out, most likely not working, and probably having essentials delivered by essential workers.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:31 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Quote from the article:

Brilliant observation. :roll: :roll: Of course kids spread diseases. But that hasn’t led to the complete shutdown of our schools or economy until this year.

I suppose we could close everything down again, let cases come down again, let businesses fail, reopen economy again, and then experience another surge AGAIN! Maybe we should take a different approach and quarantine high risk, quarantine the sick and let the least at risk build herd immunity. We will never escape this vicious cycle until a vaccine is developed or herd immunity is developed.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:35 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:31 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Quote from the article:

Brilliant observation. :roll: :roll: Of course kids spread diseases. But that hasn’t led to the complete shutdown of our schools or economy until this year.

I suppose we could close everything down again, let cases come down again, let businesses fail, reopen economy again, and then experience another surge AGAIN! Maybe we should take a different approach and quarantine high risk, quarantine the sick and let the least at risk build herd immunity. We will never escape this vicious cycle until a vaccine is developed or herd immunity is developed.
Quit being silly. Kids don’t spread diseases. Diseases spread diseases. You’re acting like guns kill people. That’s like saying spoons make you fat.

We need to open everything up, tell everyone it’s over, say people are dying of cancer, pneumonia, flu (that’s probably 90% of the deaths anyway) no one will know the difference and just let it happen whatever it is. Most of the people that have died were going to die in few weeks anyway. Almost everyone in the country has already had it by now, but most don’t know it. By the time a vaccine comes out it’ll be over. 130,000 is all that have died and it’s been around since last September. Only about 500/day are dying now. Probably only about 60,000 more will die.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:10 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:35 pm
Cataholic wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Quote from the article:

Quit being silly. Kids don’t spread diseases. Diseases spread diseases. You’re acting like guns kill people. That’s like saying spoons make you fat.

We need to open everything up, tell everyone it’s over, say people are dying of cancer, pneumonia, flu (that’s probably 90% of the deaths anyway) no one will know the difference and just let it happen whatever it is. Most of the people that have died were going to die in few weeks anyway. Almost everyone in the country has already had it by now, but most don’t know it. By the time a vaccine comes out it’ll be over. 130,000 is all that have died and it’s been around since last September. Only about 500/day are dying now. Probably only about 60,000 more will die.
" And just like that...it will disappear. It's a beautiful thing"! :)

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:18 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:10 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Quote from the article:

Yep, it's all over. I've completely flipped on this. Time to knock off the masks and distancing B.S. and get back to work. Stop the testing and all information should be confidential and highly classified. All we're doing is scaring good people and making good people act out over something that isn't a big deal. Time to unify the country by allowing fans to go to sporting events, concerts, political rallies etc. with capacity attendance and letting everyone visit their elderly relatives in hospitals and nursing homes.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:16 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:18 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:10 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Quote from the article:

Yep, it's all over. I've completely flipped on this. Time to knock off the masks and distancing B.S. and get back to work. Stop the testing and all information should be confidential and highly classified. All we're doing is scaring good people and making good people act out over something that isn't a big deal. Time to unify the country by allowing fans to go to sporting events, concerts, political rallies etc. with capacity attendance and letting everyone visit their elderly relatives in hospitals and nursing homes.
Finally you guys are making sense! =D^