Jaharie Martin speaks out

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Jaharie Martin speaks out

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:42 pm

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Re: Jaharie Martin speaks out

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:08 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:42 pm

WELL said Jaharie!!! =D^ =D^ =D^

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:01 am

Impressive young man.

Accolades to the coaches that are able to recruit young men with such character.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:48 am

That story about getting questioned by police about stealing a bike when he was only 11-years-old when all he was doing was locking up his own bike gets you.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:19 pm

Powerful words from an impressive young man. In many ways we live in a massive bubble here in Montana, so it's incredibly important to listen to the words of those with different backgrounds and different experiences than what we've had.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:22 pm

Makes me proud to be a Bobcat! Be even better if they move him back to ILB!

BobcatBlood
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BobcatBlood » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:20 pm

Thank you Jaharie. That was powerful. It puts things in perspective to hear how pervasive and persistent this behavior is. ELEVEN years old! That's a long time to be questioned and judged for nothing more than the color of your skin. Good on you for rising above. Shame on me if this doesn't give me some pause and help me see how much work we have to do in America to truly have justice for all. Your courage and vulnerability at this time is invaluable. I'm so glad you're a Bobcat!

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:36 pm

Listening.

=D^ =D^ =D^

GO CATS GO!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:46 am

There is so much we all can do, even in Bozeman, Billings, Helena, Great Falls etc. Stop worrying about these men and women so much on Saturday afternoons or basketball evenings. It’s Easy to cheer when our great black qb gets a sweet block from our amazing black RB before throwing a dart to our elusive black wide receiver......

We can do better by these guys every other day of the week. Make that your goal. Then cheering for their athletic accomplishments is just a feather in our huge Bobcat hat!

But we need to do better collectively

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:32 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:46 am
There is so much we all can do, even in Bozeman, Billings, Helena, Great Falls etc. Stop worrying about these men and women so much on Saturday afternoons or basketball evenings. It’s Easy to cheer when our great black qb gets a sweet block from our amazing black RB before throwing a dart to our elusive black wide receiver......

We can do better by these guys every other day of the week. Make that your goal. Then cheering for their athletic accomplishments is just a feather in our huge Bobcat hat!

I've been trying to do better for 20 years, by speaking & voting against the drug wars that disproportionately affect young black men, against increasing police powers that are disproportionately used against black people, against foreign wars in which black youth are sent to die, and against racial profiling (which is use against black people, as well as others). Some of these are policies of one party in particular, and some enjoy strong bipartisan support, forcing me to look outside the two-party system and argue unpopular positions--things I'm willing and able to do. What is the next step I should take?

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:00 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:32 pm
ilovethecats wrote:

I've been trying to do better for 20 years, by speaking & voting against the drug wars that disproportionately affect young black men, against increasing police powers that are disproportionately used against black people, against foreign wars in which black youth are sent to die, and against racial profiling (which is use against black people, as well as others). Some of these are policies of one party in particular, and some enjoy strong bipartisan support, forcing me to look outside the two-party system and argue unpopular positions--things I'm willing and able to do. What is the next step I should take?
I don’t have the answers but it sounds like you’re taking great steps!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:22 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:32 pm
ilovethecats wrote:

Get in the arena. There's a county in this state named after President Rooseveldt. Not many will go to those communities that are just like those inner-city communities of the party you speak to that are all over Montana. Montana is approximately 7 percent Indian and 37 percent of the incarcerated are Indian. Or, move to Georgia and spend some time in those communities. People of color are born with not just two strikes against them but they have three strikes against them and they hope to hell the catcher can't catch that third strike and they spend the rest of their life running. I too hate the two party system and the party machine that will produce the two choices we have to vote for as our Commander in Chief this November. The system is broke. You can go help fix it.

NewEra
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by NewEra » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:46 am

Tootell & Nuanez had an interview on Friday’s episode with jahari Martin that’s worth a listen

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:14 pm

To echo what New Era posted above, Jaharie had a great interview with Colter and Ryan. I am certainly proud to be an alum of Montana State when I see/hear interviews like his. Coach Choate has certainly built a high character program, and is certainly reflected in his players. I am very impressed. It is worth a listen.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:29 pm

Jaharie is a fascinating dude...glad he’s on our side.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:01 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:14 pm
To echo what New Era posted above, Jaharie had a great interview with Colter and Ryan. I am certainly proud to be an alum of Montana State when I see/hear interviews like his. Coach Choate has certainly built a high character program, and is certainly reflected in his players. I am very impressed. It is worth a listen.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 0485317989

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:07 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:01 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:14 pm
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 0485317989
The Alpine Touch ad is my favorite.

In all seriousness, great interview. You and Ryan do an awesome job.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:37 am

Powerful stuff from Kirk Herbstreit. If you have a couple minutes please watch.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:19 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:37 am
Powerful stuff from Kirk Herbstreit. If you have a couple minutes please watch.

Wow. Thanks Tom. Well worth the two minutes to watch.