Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by ilovethecats » Fri May 22, 2020 12:48 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:01 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:08 pm
iaafan wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:27 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:09 am
iaafan wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:04 am
I think, if our in-state covid numbers stay the same or better, they'll let everyone in. Now whether or not everyone wants in is another question.
Exactly what I'd like to see! Imagine that? Letting people decide where to go based on their concern for groups and the virus in general. It just may work!!! \:D/
Yes, but that doesn't do much on the revenue side. People actually need to go to the games, not to mention bars, restaurants, etc. They can only allow 50% in, which would be about 10,000 OR they can allow 100% in, but if that's only 10,000, then nothing was gained. So I'm not going to be all that excited about hearing everyone can get in. I'll be excited when I see a sold out facility. I won't be excited if a sold out facility just ends up in a spike in covid and the end of the season.

I'm doing what I think the players ultimately want:
#1 they want to have a full season with playoffs and if that means no one's at the games, so be it.
#2 they want that and to have the atmosphere be the same as always.

If these were reversed, I'd feel pretty selfish and guilty about my zeal to be at a game ruining it for the players. Do they want fans at the games? Of course. Do they want the result of having fans at games ruining their season? No way.

So if a full season with playoffs means no fans, then that's OK by me. I'd rather do that, than have everyone at the first game, then enough people get covid at a game (and even if it isn't a game in Bozeman it's over; could be UM, Tech, CC, etc.) and that's the end of it. Yay! we had fun at two home games! Now he season's over! Woo-hoo!

Sorry, but I don't share your degree of optimism about freedom of choice. I'll take the sure route to a full season of football games even if that means I don't get to go. I'll go along with what the players want.
Obviously I agree with everything you said. If those are my only two options, no other choices, either a season with fans but it ends shorty because of the virus....or a full season with no fans and no illnesses, I doubt you'd find a single person that wouldn't take the latter.

My take is if they decide to play out the season then they deem it is safe for everyone to do so. If they allow fans I have to assume the same thing, that they did their homework and deem it not only safe, but financially prudent. If not, I can't see a point having fans if they are in danger and it does no good monetarily.

But like I said, I totally agree in regards to fans in the stands, bars, restaurants, etc. The 50% thing is a killer for a ton of businesses. I've been banging this drum for two months. People determining that the thousands of people in and out of Walmart and Costco every day is perfectly safe, but people in local businesses and restaurants is too dangerous couldn't be more asinine. They need customers. Football needs fans. Whether or not we get this remains to be seen.
It isn't that it's perfectly safe to go to Walmart, Costco, any grocery store. It's that people need to go there to get food and drink. People don't need to go to a bar or restaurant to get food or drink.
The virus doesn’t know what people “need” and don’t need. It’s not like people NEED to get food so they run to Walmart and the virus just trickles.....

If it was that dire, and people needed to be locked down, they world find a way to get food to them. There was no chance that was ever going to happen........

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri May 22, 2020 8:39 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:48 am
iaafan wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:01 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:08 pm
iaafan wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:27 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:09 am
iaafan wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:04 am
I think, if our in-state covid numbers stay the same or better, they'll let everyone in. Now whether or not everyone wants in is another question.
Exactly what I'd like to see! Imagine that? Letting people decide where to go based on their concern for groups and the virus in general. It just may work!!! \:D/
Yes, but that doesn't do much on the revenue side. People actually need to go to the games, not to mention bars, restaurants, etc. They can only allow 50% in, which would be about 10,000 OR they can allow 100% in, but if that's only 10,000, then nothing was gained. So I'm not going to be all that excited about hearing everyone can get in. I'll be excited when I see a sold out facility. I won't be excited if a sold out facility just ends up in a spike in covid and the end of the season.

I'm doing what I think the players ultimately want:
#1 they want to have a full season with playoffs and if that means no one's at the games, so be it.
#2 they want that and to have the atmosphere be the same as always.

If these were reversed, I'd feel pretty selfish and guilty about my zeal to be at a game ruining it for the players. Do they want fans at the games? Of course. Do they want the result of having fans at games ruining their season? No way.

So if a full season with playoffs means no fans, then that's OK by me. I'd rather do that, than have everyone at the first game, then enough people get covid at a game (and even if it isn't a game in Bozeman it's over; could be UM, Tech, CC, etc.) and that's the end of it. Yay! we had fun at two home games! Now he season's over! Woo-hoo!

Sorry, but I don't share your degree of optimism about freedom of choice. I'll take the sure route to a full season of football games even if that means I don't get to go. I'll go along with what the players want.
Obviously I agree with everything you said. If those are my only two options, no other choices, either a season with fans but it ends shorty because of the virus....or a full season with no fans and no illnesses, I doubt you'd find a single person that wouldn't take the latter.

My take is if they decide to play out the season then they deem it is safe for everyone to do so. If they allow fans I have to assume the same thing, that they did their homework and deem it not only safe, but financially prudent. If not, I can't see a point having fans if they are in danger and it does no good monetarily.

But like I said, I totally agree in regards to fans in the stands, bars, restaurants, etc. The 50% thing is a killer for a ton of businesses. I've been banging this drum for two months. People determining that the thousands of people in and out of Walmart and Costco every day is perfectly safe, but people in local businesses and restaurants is too dangerous couldn't be more asinine. They need customers. Football needs fans. Whether or not we get this remains to be seen.
It isn't that it's perfectly safe to go to Walmart, Costco, any grocery store. It's that people need to go there to get food and drink. People don't need to go to a bar or restaurant to get food or drink.
The virus doesn’t know what people “need” and don’t need. It’s not like people NEED to get food so they run to Walmart and the virus just trickles.....

If it was that dire, and people needed to be locked down, they world find a way to get food to them. There was no chance that was ever going to happen........
Not sure what gave you the impression I think the virus knows what people need.

Let re-phrase that.

The virus is everywhere. People need food and drink. There are three places to acquire food and drink: a) grocery stores. b) restaurants/bars. c) hunting and gathering/gardening. If we're to be limited to one of those three, then I think grocery stores would be the logical pick for a majority of people.

Locked down is a poor term to describe the situation and I wish the media wouldn't use it. The situation was never so dire that people had to stay in their homes at all times. Not sure what a good term is. Maybe, 'restricted mobility.' That's more fitting.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Mtcatfan » Fri May 22, 2020 9:29 am

Does the whole BSC have to all do it the same way? Why couldn't MSU and UM allow fans at their games whereas teams like, Cal,Sac and PSU or whomever make their own decision on whether they want fans or not? The state of Montana should easily be in phase three by the time football rolls around - barring any major re-occurrence of Covid cases.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri May 22, 2020 10:00 am

Mtcatfan wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:29 am
Does the whole BSC have to all do it the same way? Why couldn't MSU and UM allow fans at their games whereas teams like, Cal,Sac and PSU or whomever make their own decision on whether they want fans or not? The state of Montana should easily be in phase three by the time football rolls around - barring any major re-occurrence of Covid cases.
I'd think the Big Sky would stay out of it. If anyone besides MSU makes a decision on it, it would be the state or the NCAA.

Montanabob
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Montanabob » Fri May 22, 2020 11:06 am

Mtcatfan wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:29 am
Multiple interviews have said it is up to each institution, not the BSC as to what their sports do this coming year.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

imacat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Fri May 22, 2020 7:22 pm

Athletes can begin to return on June 1st.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 7efeb.html

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:25 am

If there was no limit on attendance, but everyone had to wear a mask, would everybody still attend?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun May 24, 2020 11:37 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:25 am
If there was no limit on attendance, but everyone had to wear a mask, would everybody still attend?
Haven't worn a mask yet and won't

BleedingBLue
Member # Retired

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun May 24, 2020 12:02 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
I certainly would. There are plenty of mask options out there, including Cats masks.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun May 24, 2020 12:51 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:37 am
Hawks86 wrote:
While I am not wearing a mask to protect myself, I do wear one to tell others that if I have something I don't want them to get it from me.

Now sorry for caring about Cat/griz too much. I've been properly chastised by the coach of the other team. :-^

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun May 24, 2020 12:58 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
If that was the only choice then hell yes, count me in.

But I really dont like the masks, and there seems to be contradicting data on how effective they actually are.
Also, after about 10 minutes they really do start to bother your breathing (at least the ones they hand out at Costco). I feel bad for those who have to wear them all day long! Perhaps the costco ones are cheapies that dont work as well, i'm not sure.

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun May 24, 2020 1:31 pm

allcat wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:51 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
While I am not wearing a mask to protect myself, I do wear one to tell others that if I have something I don't want them to get it from me.
Yup but I think I had it in February but they won't test me.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun May 24, 2020 9:28 pm

allcat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
That’s commendable. I hope you will plan on doing the same going forward. So many compromised people could use that support. Thank you!

onceacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by onceacat » Sun May 24, 2020 10:28 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:28 pm
allcat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
That’s commendable. I hope you will plan on doing the same going forward. So many compromised people could use that support. Thank you!
=D^

Last I heard, MSU is planning on starting classes 2 weeks early so students don't have to travel home, then back to Bozeman during flu and/or Covid season.

Montana crushed this virus because we used basic common sense, including 1) cancelling ski season before tourists came for spring break 2) telling students not to come back after break 3) taking easy precautions like having MSU & other large employers have their employees work from home...AFTER all that happened, voluntarily, the Governor instituted a temporary stay at home order so the rest of the state followed the lead of Bozeman.

Using common sense, like wearing masks when social distancing isn't possible and limiting the number of visitors from out of state hotspots, and of course, limiting the number of people you come into contact with in a given day is going to be a big part of whether Montana continues to kick the crap out of this virus, or if we turn into South Dakota and have huge second and third wave outbreaks.

An outbreak this fall will 100% shut down fans at football games (and maybe basketball). Using common sense now (i.e. wearing masks) is a big part of what gets us back to football in the fall.

Just like football players need to train in Spring, fans need to do their part (i.e. put on your big boy pants and your f****** mask) in the spring to make sure that football happens this fall.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:03 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
If they required you to wear pants, a shirt and shoe's... would you? 8)

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon May 25, 2020 7:42 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:03 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Nope, be a rebel

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:07 am

"Georgia Tech football game during 1918 pandemic."

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Grizlaw
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Grizlaw » Mon May 25, 2020 8:16 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
I had never thought of this before, but now that you've mentioned this, it's going to bug me.

Just so we're clear -- I don't have any problem at all with wearing pants and a shirt...but the idea of the government telling me that I have to seems like overreach. Who's with me? Fight the power! ;)

I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

thefrank1
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by thefrank1 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:21 am

Grizlaw wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:16 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
I had never thought of this before, but now that you've mentioned this, it's going to bug me.

Just so we're clear -- I don't have any problem at all with wearing pants and a shirt...but the idea of the government telling me that I have to seems like overreach. Who's with me? Fight the power! ;)
Remember when this used to be a rebel position? Now its so common its mundane. Just do what you want and move on, no one is interested.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Grizlaw
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Grizlaw » Mon May 25, 2020 8:26 am

On another note (and I haven't read this entire thread, so apologies if this has been discussed already)...

If it turns out that schools are not allowed to have spectators at games by the time the season comes around, do people know whether schools like UM and MSU (and other schools, outside the Power 5 conferences) could afford to fund football without ticket revenue?

I imagine the big conferences could probably do it, because they make enough money on TV revenue that it should still make economic sense to have the season. Is that true for Big Sky schools, though?

I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.