Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by Mtcatfan » Thu May 21, 2020 8:42 am

What percentage of all tickets sold each week are season ticket holders? Just wondering if they eliminated any general admission if the attending season ticket holders could separate enough to meet the social distancing requirement.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu May 21, 2020 10:14 am

Mtcatfan wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:42 am
What percentage of all tickets sold each week are season ticket holders? Just wondering if they eliminated any general admission if the attending season ticket holders could separate enough to meet the social distancing requirement.
I was wondering this too. I love my seats but obviously everyone right next to me loves theirs too. Would be interesting to see how they would handle this.

Universities much larger than ours are already trying to figure out how to get fans in stands. I still think this will be the case but how they do it will be interesting.

On a related note, I just heard on the radio that Country Jam in Three Forks has not been cancelled, but rather just postponed until the 3rd week in August. I think that is great. That's a ton of people in a small area. I love that they're making it happen though. Would be nice if sports followed the same line of thinking but I'm not that lucky. :lol:

coloradocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coloradocat » Thu May 21, 2020 10:43 am

Mtcatfan wrote:
I really hope students will be allowed to go to games this year. It wouldn't be the same without them. If you combine students and season tickets I assume that's a strong majority of the seating so they might as well just let everyone in.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu May 21, 2020 10:55 am

coloradocat wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:43 am
Mtcatfan wrote:
I really hope students will be allowed to go to games this year. It wouldn't be the same without them. If you combine students and season tickets I assume that's a strong majority of the seating so they might as well just let everyone in.
Love where your heads at. \:D/

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu May 21, 2020 11:04 am

I think, if our in-state covid numbers stay the same or better, they'll let everyone in. Now whether or not everyone wants in is another question.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu May 21, 2020 11:09 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:04 am
I think, if our in-state covid numbers stay the same or better, they'll let everyone in. Now whether or not everyone wants in is another question.
Exactly what I'd like to see! Imagine that? Letting people decide where to go based on their concern for groups and the virus in general. It just may work!!! \:D/

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu May 21, 2020 11:23 am

Just as an aside....it would be bittersweet to see wagriz 1/3 capacity for the Cat/Griz game.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu May 21, 2020 11:27 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:09 am
iaafan wrote:
Exactly what I'd like to see! Imagine that? Letting people decide where to go based on their concern for groups and the virus in general. It just may work!!! \:D/
Yes, but that doesn't do much on the revenue side. People actually need to go to the games, not to mention bars, restaurants, etc. They can only allow 50% in, which would be about 10,000 OR they can allow 100% in, but if that's only 10,000, then nothing was gained. So I'm not going to be all that excited about hearing everyone can get in. I'll be excited when I see a sold out facility. I won't be excited if a sold out facility just ends up in a spike in covid and the end of the season.

I'm doing what I think the players ultimately want:
#1 they want to have a full season with playoffs and if that means no one's at the games, so be it.
#2 they want that and to have the atmosphere be the same as always.

If these were reversed, I'd feel pretty selfish and guilty about my zeal to be at a game ruining it for the players. Do they want fans at the games? Of course. Do they want the result of having fans at games ruining their season? No way.

So if a full season with playoffs means no fans, then that's OK by me. I'd rather do that, than have everyone at the first game, then enough people get covid at a game (and even if it isn't a game in Bozeman it's over; could be UM, Tech, CC, etc.) and that's the end of it. Yay! we had fun at two home games! Now he season's over! Woo-hoo!

Sorry, but I don't share your degree of optimism about freedom of choice. I'll take the sure route to a full season of football games even if that means I don't get to go. I'll go along with what the players want.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu May 21, 2020 11:29 am

wbtfg wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:23 am
Just as an aside....it would be bittersweet to see wagriz 1/3 capacity for the Cat/Griz game.
I think regardless of what the rest of the season holds, they should sell that game like normal. Pack the place!

Montanabob
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Montanabob » Thu May 21, 2020 11:32 am

wbtfg wrote:
But we can just attribute it to Gizz fans disappointed and just giving up before the 5 peat in Missoula.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

kennethnoisewater
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu May 21, 2020 12:00 pm

wbtfg wrote:
That weekend will be interesting. Is that right after finals now or is it the Saturday before finals? And is that fall commencement weekend? I'd expect UM to adopt a similar semester schedule but they're usually a week ahead or behind--or they used to be.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu May 21, 2020 12:37 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:32 am
wbtfg wrote:
But we can just attribute it to Gizz fans disappointed and just giving up before the 5 peat in Missoula.
Yeah, I don't expect too many Griz fans to show up this year. They said Sneed was one of their best QBs of all time and Olsen was the best LB of all time and they lost 48-14 with Andersen on the sidelines for us. :wink:

coloradocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coloradocat » Thu May 21, 2020 1:06 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:37 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:32 am
wbtfg wrote:
Yeah, I don't expect too many Griz fans to show up this year. They said Sneed was one of their best QBs of all time and Olsen was the best LB of all time and they lost 48-14 with Andersen on the sidelines for us. :wink:
I don't think they stand a chance this year. How are they going to replace Olsen's 50 tackles per game?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu May 21, 2020 1:08 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:27 am
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Yes, but that doesn't do much on the revenue side. People actually need to go to the games, not to mention bars, restaurants, etc. They can only allow 50% in, which would be about 10,000 OR they can allow 100% in, but if that's only 10,000, then nothing was gained. So I'm not going to be all that excited about hearing everyone can get in. I'll be excited when I see a sold out facility. I won't be excited if a sold out facility just ends up in a spike in covid and the end of the season.

#1 they want to have a full season with playoffs and if that means no one's at the games, so be it.

If these were reversed, I'd feel pretty selfish and guilty about my zeal to be at a game ruining it for the players. Do they want fans at the games? Of course. Do they want the result of having fans at games ruining their season? No way.

So if a full season with playoffs means no fans, then that's OK by me. I'd rather do that, than have everyone at the first game, then enough people get covid at a game (and even if it isn't a game in Bozeman it's over; could be UM, Tech, CC, etc.) and that's the end of it. Yay! we had fun at two home games! Now he season's over! Woo-hoo!

Sorry, but I don't share your degree of optimism about freedom of choice. I'll take the sure route to a full season of football games even if that means I don't get to go. I'll go along with what the players want.
Obviously I agree with everything you said. If those are my only two options, no other choices, either a season with fans but it ends shorty because of the virus....or a full season with no fans and no illnesses, I doubt you'd find a single person that wouldn't take the latter.

My take is if they decide to play out the season then they deem it is safe for everyone to do so. If they allow fans I have to assume the same thing, that they did their homework and deem it not only safe, but financially prudent. If not, I can't see a point having fans if they are in danger and it does no good monetarily.

But like I said, I totally agree in regards to fans in the stands, bars, restaurants, etc. The 50% thing is a killer for a ton of businesses. I've been banging this drum for two months. People determining that the thousands of people in and out of Walmart and Costco every day is perfectly safe, but people in local businesses and restaurants is too dangerous couldn't be more asinine. They need customers. Football needs fans. Whether or not we get this remains to be seen.

BleedingBLue
Member # Retired

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu May 21, 2020 1:25 pm

I read an ESPN article today about the impact of playing, or not playing college football. More or less the article says financially the season has to be played even if it's in the spring or all of college athletics are in jeopardy. There were a lot of stats but the big thing was that a lot of schools athletic departments (almost every P5) survive off football revenue. This includes TV, radio, sponsorship etc. along with tickets, concessions etc. There have already been a handful of schools that have cut at least one sport and probably more to come. East Carolina has said they are currently looking at cutting half their sports. The football season is going to happen, and schools are going to figure out how to get at least a portion of fans in the stands.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu May 21, 2020 2:01 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:08 pm
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Obviously I agree with everything you said. If those are my only two options, no other choices, either a season with fans but it ends shorty because of the virus....or a full season with no fans and no illnesses, I doubt you'd find a single person that wouldn't take the latter.

My take is if they decide to play out the season then they deem it is safe for everyone to do so. If they allow fans I have to assume the same thing, that they did their homework and deem it not only safe, but financially prudent. If not, I can't see a point having fans if they are in danger and it does no good monetarily.

But like I said, I totally agree in regards to fans in the stands, bars, restaurants, etc. The 50% thing is a killer for a ton of businesses. I've been banging this drum for two months. People determining that the thousands of people in and out of Walmart and Costco every day is perfectly safe, but people in local businesses and restaurants is too dangerous couldn't be more asinine. They need customers. Football needs fans. Whether or not we get this remains to be seen.
It isn't that it's perfectly safe to go to Walmart, Costco, any grocery store. It's that people need to go there to get food and drink. People don't need to go to a bar or restaurant to get food or drink.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu May 21, 2020 2:38 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:01 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:

It isn't that it's perfectly safe to go to Walmart, Costco, any grocery store. It's that people need to go there to get food and drink. People don't need to go to a bar or restaurant to get food or drink.
There are literally thousands of Montanans who depend on those bar and restaurant jobs for food, shelter, and sports’ tickets. After being in Montana for three weeks, and comparing what is going on back home in Oregon, this is the biggest hoax in modern history. Shutting down the economy and putting 40 million out of work for no good reason.

Greg K.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu May 21, 2020 2:49 pm

PapaG wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:38 pm
iaafan wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:01 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:

There are literally thousands of Montanans who depend on those bar and restaurant jobs for food, shelter, and sports’ tickets. After being in Montana for three weeks, and comparing what is going on back home in Oregon, this is the biggest hoax in modern history. Shutting down the economy and putting 40 million out of work for no good reason.
You're right, everyone is entitled to their opinion. As is the case with almost every issue there will be opinions on the extreme end of both sides. I'm always interested in hearing the opinions of others.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu May 21, 2020 3:26 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:25 pm
I read an ESPN article today about the impact of playing, or not playing college football. More or less the article says financially the season has to be played even if it's in the spring or all of college athletics are in jeopardy. There were a lot of stats but the big thing was that a lot of schools athletic departments (almost every P5) survive off football revenue. This includes TV, radio, sponsorship etc. along with tickets, concessions etc. There have already been a handful of schools that have cut at least one sport and probably more to come. East Carolina has said they are currently looking at cutting half their sports. The football season is going to happen, and schools are going to figure out how to get at least a portion of fans in the stands.
I agree - football is gonna happen, and it will involve people paying to see the games whether in attendance or not. In his recent Tootell and Nuanez interview, Choate mentioned one idea on the table is to televise the games on a closed circuit, to all season ticket holders only.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that, and we're all allowed to be at the games. But I dont think the games will be available for free public viewing if fans aren't in the stands - there's no way to make up for the lost ticket/tailgate revenue that way.

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

BleedingBLue
Member # Retired

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu May 21, 2020 5:57 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:26 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:25 pm
I agree - football is gonna happen, and it will involve people paying to see the games whether in attendance or not. In his recent Tootell and Nuanez interview, Choate mentioned one idea on the table is to televise the games on a closed circuit, to all season ticket holders only.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that, and we're all allowed to be at the games. But I dont think the games will be available for free public viewing if fans aren't in the stands - there's no way to make up for the lost ticket/tailgate revenue that way.
Better get my season tickets!