Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Rich K
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by Rich K » Mon May 04, 2020 5:14 pm

Time for everybody to get back to work and school. The notion that we need to ease back into normal is stupid. The hospitals are losing millions and have beds to spare. If people are going to get sick, let them get sick now, they won't be getting any younger.

p.s. if you want to stay in your cave, that's fine, stay there. I'll be out and about and I don't have a GPS available to the public so you never know when and where I will show up.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon May 04, 2020 5:49 pm

Rich K wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:14 pm
Time for everybody to get back to work and school. The notion that we need to ease back into normal is stupid. The hospitals are losing millions and have beds to spare. If people are going to get sick, let them get sick now, they won't be getting any younger.

p.s. if you want to stay in your cave, that's fine, stay there. I'll be out and about and I don't have a GPS available to the public so you never know when and where I will show up.
\:D/ \:D/ =D^ =D^
Yep, about right..

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 04, 2020 6:08 pm

Rich K wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:14 pm

Doesn't seem like anyone is easing back into it where I'm at. First night of the bars and restaurants being open and they're packed, no hand sanitizer to be found anywhere, bathrooms are dirty as ever, crappy service. Yep, back to normal in a hurry. :wink:

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

btribby
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by btribby » Tue May 05, 2020 7:08 am

To get this back on track. I plan to be in Bobcat Stadium if there is a season and we are allowed to be there. If there is a season but with no fans, I will buy whatever pay per view package is available to be able to watch the Cats and to ensure our athletic program doesnt crumble financially.

When I Wake Up In The Morning I Piss Blue and Gold

Rich K

Post by Rich K » Tue May 05, 2020 10:45 am

If the NCAA or the Big Sky or MSU football cancels any part of next season I won't pay for a college sports ticket again.

bobcat99

Post by bobcat99 » Tue May 05, 2020 12:35 pm

Rich K wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:45 am
If the NCAA or the Big Sky or MSU football cancels any part of next season I won't pay for a college sports ticket again.
You might be SOL then

Hi-Line Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu May 07, 2020 2:06 pm

I suggest everybody watch the Plandemic documentary by Mikki Willis. Oh wait you can’t, because YouTube and google pulled it. The pundits and money makers off of the plandemic don’t want facts getting in the way of their agenda.

"I have an unhealthy obsession with Bobcat football...and arguing!!"

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Thu May 07, 2020 2:38 pm

Hey Hi-Line, it is very important to remember that "Just because you think they are out there, doesn't mean they are not."

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu May 07, 2020 4:35 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:06 pm
I suggest everybody watch the Plandemic documentary by Mikki Willis. Oh wait you can’t, because YouTube and google pulled it. The pundits and money makers off of the plandemic don’t want facts getting in the way of their agenda.
Ah yes, good ol’ Dr. Judy Mikovits. Google her. Medpagetoday has a review on Plandemic.

Hi-Line Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu May 07, 2020 10:06 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:38 pm
Hey Hi-Line, it is very important to remember that "Just because you think they are out there, doesn't mean they are not."
You keep doing as your told.

Less than 30 deaths in Montana come this December.

If you die of pneumonia in Minnesota, Ohio, Michigan, California, and the lists goes on and on, it’s treated as a Covid-19 death. The only kicker is, you don’t have to test positive for Covid-19 prior to your death and after your death in those states aren’t testing....Sounds reasonable right..that’s from the CDC.

"I have an unhealthy obsession with Bobcat football...and arguing!!"

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri May 08, 2020 10:11 am

Here is an interesting article on how the disease spreads in various environments...and in particular a restaurant in Wuhan, a curling event in Canada etc.. I think it might bode well for an open air stadium event in the Fall. Just more grist for the mill.

http://erinbromage.wixsite.com/covid19/ ... 94Hj1zH9Co

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri May 08, 2020 10:26 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:11 am
Here is an interesting article on how the disease spreads in various environments...and in particular a restaurant in Wuhan, a curling event in Canada etc.. I think it might bode well for an open air stadium event in the Fall. Just more grist for the mill.

http://erinbromage.wixsite.com/covid19/ ... 94Hj1zH9Co
Yeah, you'd think an open-air stadium would be less risky.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Mtcatfan » Fri May 08, 2020 11:05 am

Long Island University coming to Bozeman in September might be a long-shot. Other than that the only question marks on the schedule that I can see would be maybe going to Portland State and Cal-Poly coming here. The rest seem to be doable based on the current situation but also considering that things continue to improve. Hope the powers that be can make it happen.

coloradocat

Post by coloradocat » Fri May 08, 2020 11:12 am

What happens to the money involved in the non-conference games if they are cancelled? Do you get rescheduled in future years with potential for renegotiating the payout or is that money just lost for the recipient?

I don't really care if we play any non-conf games this season but it would be nice to retain the Utah money (likely by playing them in 2023 or later).

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Fri May 08, 2020 11:31 am

Per the Governor's orders, gyms are allowed to open up in MT next Fri (5/15) at reduced capacity. Does that mean that the Bobcat Weight Room is open to the players as of next Friday? Can they start gathering and throwing, catching, doing position work (without a coach)?

BleedingBLue
Member # Retired

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri May 08, 2020 10:58 pm

Mark Emmett said tonight that unless college campuses open up for the fall semester, fall sports are unlikely to be played.

onceacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by onceacat » Fri May 08, 2020 11:24 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:58 pm
Mark Emmett said tonight that unless college campuses open up for the fall semester, fall sports are unlikely to be played.
MSU is telling its professors to be prepared for cuts in the neighborhood of 50% of class loads. There are some underlying structural issues with the universities that are somewhat tangential to sports but still relevant:

1) Montana state funding (from Helena) plus in-state tuition doesn't cover the cost of educating an in-state student.
2) MSU is required to admit all in-state students who meet the minimum entry requirements
3) Ergo, every year there is a budget shortfall that needs to be covered by out-of-state students
4) Are you going to pay $25k/year (in tuition only, plus room and board) to send your kids to Bozeman to take on-line classes? I think we can say with reasonable confidence that dorms aren't going to open this fall...so what parent in their right mind is going to pay $25k out of state to have their kids Zoom with MSU professors?
5) Same logic applies in-sate. Why send your kids to pay Bozeman rent at $700/bedroom to take on-line classes?
6) Who buys end zone tickets, then?
7) Theres going to be a 14 day quarantine for in-state travel well into summer...maybe a 50-50 shot its gone by fall. Are we just going to exempt sports?

Montana has really done a good job with this. But the rest of the country, including nearby states like South Dakota & Colorado are still near disaster zones. Can MSU & Utah play safely? Probably. Montana & Utah have done well

Can Northern Colorado or NAU or South Dakota play safely? or even have students back on campus in 4 months? Or travel a team? No way. And its not even close.

I guess what I'm getting at is that MSU & UM and maybe another half dozen schools across the country could pull off a football game in 4 months. But there's no way on God's green earth that the SEC is playing football in September. And if the SEC isn't playing, you can guess what that means for everyone else...

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri May 08, 2020 11:26 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:31 am
Per the Governor's orders, gyms are allowed to open up in MT next Fri (5/15) at reduced capacity. Does that mean that the Bobcat Weight Room is open to the players as of next Friday? Can they start gathering and throwing, catching, doing position work (without a coach)?
"Indoor classes" are prohibited. I guess it depends on how that gets defined.

BleedingBLue
Member # Retired

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat May 09, 2020 1:13 pm

onceacat wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:24 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
MSU is telling its professors to be prepared for cuts in the neighborhood of 50% of class loads. There are some underlying structural issues with the universities that are somewhat tangential to sports but still relevant:

1) Montana state funding (from Helena) plus in-state tuition doesn't cover the cost of educating an in-state student.
2) MSU is required to admit all in-state students who meet the minimum entry requirements
3) Ergo, every year there is a budget shortfall that needs to be covered by out-of-state students
4) Are you going to pay $25k/year (in tuition only, plus room and board) to send your kids to Bozeman to take on-line classes? I think we can say with reasonable confidence that dorms aren't going to open this fall...so what parent in their right mind is going to pay $25k out of state to have their kids Zoom with MSU professors?
5) Same logic applies in-sate. Why send your kids to pay Bozeman rent at $700/bedroom to take on-line classes?
7) Theres going to be a 14 day quarantine for in-state travel well into summer...maybe a 50-50 shot its gone by fall. Are we just going to exempt sports?

Montana has really done a good job with this. But the rest of the country, including nearby states like South Dakota & Colorado are still near disaster zones. Can MSU & Utah play safely? Probably. Montana & Utah have done well

Can Northern Colorado or NAU or South Dakota play safely? or even have students back on campus in 4 months? Or travel a team? No way. And its not even close.

I guess what I'm getting at is that MSU & UM and maybe another half dozen schools across the country could pull off a football game in 4 months. But there's no way on God's green earth that the SEC is playing football in September. And if the SEC isn't playing, you can guess what that means for everyone else...
In my opinion it means college football is over as we know it. I would be willing to bet that at least a quarter of FCS programs are no more if there isn't a season. A lot of FCS schools have crappy attendance anyway and giving out 63 scholarships with zero football revenue isn't going to happen. I know some would argue that kids just don't get scholarships in that case for this year, but to that I would say good luck getting most of your team to come back in 2021. I think a large amount of Group of 5 schools may have the same issue.

Although no season would suck it would 100% benefit the power 5, and possibly the AAC. It would provide an opportunity for them to become their own "NCAA" for football and it has already been talked about. I wouldn't be surprised if the FCS and the group of 5 become their own division, or are the only DI members still in the NCAA for football.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sat May 09, 2020 10:27 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:13 pm
onceacat wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:24 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:

In my opinion it means college football is over as we know it. I would be willing to bet that at least a quarter of FCS programs are no more if there isn't a season. A lot of FCS schools have crappy attendance anyway and giving out 63 scholarships with zero football revenue isn't going to happen. I know some would argue that kids just don't get scholarships in that case for this year, but to that I would say good luck getting most of your team to come back in 2021. I think a large amount of Group of 5 schools may have the same issue.

Although no season would suck it would 100% benefit the power 5, and possibly the AAC. It would provide an opportunity for them to become their own "NCAA" for football and it has already been talked about. I wouldn't be surprised if the FCS and the group of 5 become their own division, or are the only DI members still in the NCAA for football.
Ugh. I hadn't even thought of that, but you make a really good point.

The one thing is that the power 5 conferences are likely to be the hardest hit in the fall. If MSU is looking at a 60% decrease in freshman enrollment next year, in a state that 100% beat the pandemic, what do the numbers look like in a place like Georgia or Florida that are "re-opening" despite never closing in the first place...How many freshmen show up to Athens or Tallahassee this fall...

I can imagine a case where places that have the Covid under control in the fall (Montana, maybe the Northeast, maybe Colorado, maybe Washington & California) put together a partial season while the SEC and Big 10 & Big 12 cancel their seasons...but I wouldn't bet more than a nice bottle of bourbon on it.

The only thing that's really predictable about how this plays out is how unpredictable its going to be.