What If?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kwcat
Member # Retired

Re: What If?

Post by kwcat » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:33 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:05 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:54 am
catatac wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:36 am
MSU01 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:04 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:37 am

But I get your point about getting the virus and you’re probably right. Hell I’ve probably had it. When they’re able to do mass testings to determine who’s had the virus, that’s when things will really be fascinating! As well as very helpful.
I agree with a lot of what you say, but this kind of viewpoint is pretty dangerous, in my opinion. I'm seeing an increasing number of people on social media post stuff about "we've all already had it", or "I probably had it back in December when I got sick" - both of which are frankly untrue or at best extremely unlikely. Whatever the true death rate turns out to be (and I agree that it's likely much lower than the death rate looking at only confirmed cases), this IS more dangerous than the flu, it IS something we need to continue working to prevent the spread of, and the people on Facebook trying everything they can to rationalize away the threat did NOT have it back in December or January before there was even a confirmed US case yet.
I think it's entirely possible there are a lot of people that had it and didn't know, and I'm one of them. Not sure why you think it's so dangerous to say that? Are you saying it's not possible... and if so, why? The FACTS about this thing, as others have pointed out is that people can have it and not show any symptoms. Additionally, for some people that DO test positive and DO show symptoms, those symptoms are relatively mild, like a bad cold. People seem to freak out when they hear that but it's the truth. It's also true that some people show symptoms that are much worse, like a bad case of the Flu. It impacts people differently. What I DON'T think has happened, or if it has it is incredibly rare is that a healthy person get this thing and drops dead because of it.
Of course there have been many asymptomatic and mild cases that have gone untested and which people have recovered from. It's not dangerous to say that, because it's true. But that's looking at it from a much larger country-wide perspective. For an individual person to self-diagnose himself as having had COVID-19 without having been tested for it is dangerous - maybe not for himself if he's at a low risk of having a serious case, but definitely for those he might infect who are in high-risk segments of the population.
But what makes you think it's "Untrue" or "Extremely unlikely" that I've already had it, along with thousands or millions of others?
Thinking for yourself is not controllable. You need someone to tell you what you’ve had.🤔

Have courtesy and care for others like you had influenza and have some common sense. (or maybe it’s not so common anymore and that’s why they have to tell us what to do!😎)

Back to topic, I love football and game day Saturdays but life will MoveOn if it doesn’t happen this fall.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:45 am

allcat wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:19 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:37 pm
allcat wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:38 pm
I heard an anecdotal statement from a drive through testing thing in Chicago. They said that while 10- 20% of the people tested positive for the active virus, 30-50% tested positive for the antibody.
Then Chicago really got hit, because it's one of the hottest spots around. It upsets me that some people quote good statistics like this that have no relation to the existential problem.

It's good that maybe a lot of people are immune, but what about the people who are dying or have nowhere to go to get food, shelter, or medical assistance. Hospitals are overflowing and people who are intubated have over a 90% chance of dying. In fact I heard one doctor on TV say that intubation is almost the kiss of death. So just think of all the respirators being used in the country....these will be deaths more often than not, and a lot of the respirators are being used 4, 5, 6 times!

That's the kind of thinking that will open up our society too early...and cause a second wave of the pandemic.
New York hospitals are overflowing, no where else. They are also dismantling a couple of the files hospitals in New York and the one in Seattle. I'm not advocating giving up on this but there is going to be even more pain by maintaining the shutdown.
Well then, I guess the pandemic's over. Whew that's a load off my mind!

2024 Resume dominance

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:37 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:45 am
allcat wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:19 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:37 pm
allcat wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:38 pm
I heard an anecdotal statement from a drive through testing thing in Chicago. They said that while 10- 20% of the people tested positive for the active virus, 30-50% tested positive for the antibody.
Then Chicago really got hit, because it's one of the hottest spots around. It upsets me that some people quote good statistics like this that have no relation to the existential problem.

It's good that maybe a lot of people are immune, but what about the people who are dying or have nowhere to go to get food, shelter, or medical assistance. Hospitals are overflowing and people who are intubated have over a 90% chance of dying. In fact I heard one doctor on TV say that intubation is almost the kiss of death. So just think of all the respirators being used in the country....these will be deaths more often than not, and a lot of the respirators are being used 4, 5, 6 times!

That's the kind of thinking that will open up our society too early...and cause a second wave of the pandemic.
New York hospitals are overflowing, no where else. They are also dismantling a couple of the files hospitals in New York and the one in Seattle. I'm not advocating giving up on this but there is going to be even more pain by maintaining the shutdown.
Well then, I guess the pandemic's over. Whew that's a load off my mind!
A lot of small businesses aren’t going to reopen. 16 million have lost their jobs the last 3 weeks. Millions are filing for unemployment. Neighbors will go bankrupt. At some point the solution is worse than the cause. Unless the solution is to bleed out the poor and middle class and make us dependent on the rich and the government.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:16 pm

Dr. Fauci: "I would hope that by November, we would have things under such control that we could have a real degree of normality."

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:07 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:16 pm
Dr. Fauci: "I would hope that by November, we would have things under such control that we could have a real degree of normality."
I trust his medical opinion, but I'm not sure we'll still have a country if the economy stays shut off for 7 more months. How long can we afford to have half the country surviving on unemployment and government bailout money? Can we realistically expect human beings to stay inside their house that long?
Need to find a balance somewhere between what's ideal and what's realistic.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:04 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:07 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
I trust his medical opinion, but I'm not sure we'll still have a country if the economy stays shut off for 7 more months. How long can we afford to have half the country surviving on unemployment and government bailout money? Can we realistically expect human beings to stay inside their house that long?
We can't even afford to have half the country on unemployment and bailout money now. So many small businesses are done for now. I can't imagine how many more will go under if things continue this way for too much longer. How are we going to pay back 2.2 trillion dollars from this 1st stimulus package? And how the hell are we going to pay back a 2nd stimulus package if it comes to that?

At some point very soon the country is going to have to get back to normal and deal with the virus in a normalized state. Once more resources become available for testing, treatment etc. It will become easier to handle larger than normal amounts of people being affected. The government is going to have to live with the consequences of blowing this thing off for too long in order to not have the country completely fall apart. Those consequences will probably include more loss of life from the virus , a strain on the health care system and a poor economy for a bit. But what's the alternative? Shelter at home for months more, no small businesses left and a crazy amount of unemployed and homeless people?

And since this is a Bobcat forum I will add that if there is no football season for the NCAA, football and College Athletics in general, will be in jeopardy not just in 2020 but beyond. There is no way 250 D1 schools can afford scholarships for football players, with no season. A lot of the players can't afford not to have a scholarship as well. The NCAA can't afford the revenue loss from a canceled fall season either.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:18 am

Macro versus micro discussions being held right now and what is going to transpire in the future to higher education? Distance learning will definitely become more prevalent saving trillions of dollars in wasted post secondary costs for a license or certificate to perform "essential" jobs. I mean, why memorize something when you can just google it? What does, or will, a college education in the traditional setting be worth?

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/04/12/u ... rus-covid/

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:52 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:04 pm
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
We can't even afford to have half the country on unemployment and bailout money now. So many small businesses are done for now. I can't imagine how many more will go under if things continue this way for too much longer. How are we going to pay back 2.2 trillion dollars from this 1st stimulus package? And how the hell are we going to pay back a 2nd stimulus package if it comes to that?

At some point very soon the country is going to have to get back to normal and deal with the virus in a normalized state. Once more resources become available for testing, treatment etc. It will become easier to handle larger than normal amounts of people being affected. The government is going to have to live with the consequences of blowing this thing off for too long in order to not have the country completely fall apart. Those consequences will probably include more loss of life from the virus , a strain on the health care system and a poor economy for a bit. But what's the alternative? Shelter at home for months more, no small businesses left and a crazy amount of unemployed and homeless people?

And since this is a Bobcat forum I will add that if there is no football season for the NCAA, football and College Athletics in general, will be in jeopardy not just in 2020 but beyond. There is no way 250 D1 schools can afford scholarships for football players, with no season. A lot of the players can't afford not to have a scholarship as well. The NCAA can't afford the revenue loss from a canceled fall season either.
I don’t think that’s what Fauci was saying. Maybe it was, but I think what he meant by a “real degree of normality” is that we’d have incrementally gotten to a point of say 95% of normal. For him to go that far is encouraging imo, because he’s pretty conservative with his estimates.

I don’t think it’s going to be as bad as you’re thinking. It isn’t like everything is completely shutdown. Everywhere I go I ask how business is going and the responses are all positive. I doubt that’s true everywhere, but like I said everything thing isn’t completely shutdown. I would expect, especially in states like Montana, you’ll start things opening back up in a couple weeks. C-19 models for Montana are showing significant improvements.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:55 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:36 am
MSU01 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:04 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:37 am

But I get your point about getting the virus and you’re probably right. Hell I’ve probably had it. When they’re able to do mass testings to determine who’s had the virus, that’s when things will really be fascinating! As well as very helpful.
I agree with a lot of what you say, but this kind of viewpoint is pretty dangerous, in my opinion. I'm seeing an increasing number of people on social media post stuff about "we've all already had it", or "I probably had it back in December when I got sick" - both of which are frankly untrue or at best extremely unlikely. Whatever the true death rate turns out to be (and I agree that it's likely much lower than the death rate looking at only confirmed cases), this IS more dangerous than the flu, it IS something we need to continue working to prevent the spread of, and the people on Facebook trying everything they can to rationalize away the threat did NOT have it back in December or January before there was even a confirmed US case yet.
I think it's entirely possible there are a lot of people that had it and didn't know, and I'm one of them. Not sure why you think it's so dangerous to say that? Are you saying it's not possible... and if so, why? The FACTS about this thing, as others have pointed out is that people can have it and not show any symptoms. Additionally, for some people that DO test positive and DO show symptoms, those symptoms are relatively mild, like a bad cold. People seem to freak out when they hear that but it's the truth. It's also true that some people show symptoms that are much worse, like a bad case of the Flu. It impacts people differently. What I DON'T think has happened, or if it has it is incredibly rare is that a healthy person get this thing and drops dead because of it.
There's also this:
https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus ... 53031.html

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:07 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:57 am
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:38 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:01 am
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:48 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:30 am
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:57 pm
This isn't overblown, it's about saving lives.
This just isn't true. If this is the case that people are making to back up the hysteria, then comparisons to other viruses and forms of death most definitely matter!

I hear every day, stop comparing this to the flu! This is way worse! Then I hear, this is about saving lives! So which is it? In my opinion it can't go both ways. If it's just a matter of saving lives than I maintain it's way, way overblown. I'll list 15+ things right now that not only will take more lives, but will take MUCH more lives than this virus. If it's about saving lives, then we really are missing the boat big time.
Your thinking is extremely small minded. This virus is extremely infectious, you let it run wild and 36 million in the world are dead, if not more since this virus is extremely deadly to people with compromised immune systems. But yeah we're all locked down for nothing, maybe some conspiracy against Trump and the whole world is playing along. ****** even Trump is somewhat taking this serious after blowing it off for almost 2 months. Pull your head out of the sand man.
My thinking is small minded? :lol:

I haven't one time mentioned any conspiracy nor have I mentioned the president.

Though I wouldn't mind seeing some tangible proof that if you let it "run wild" 36 million people are dead. Can you provide a source for that claim?

The numbers are what they are. :-k
England waited 2 to 3 weeks longer than most civilized countries to implement a lockdown. Of people who've been tested 1 in 4 is positive, their death rate is 12%. There are approximately 8 billion people in the world by best estimates, using a 1 in 5 unfettered infection rate which is extremely low, and a best case scenario of a 3% death rate, 48 million people die. Can you follow that? Do I need to show my work for you.

You think what you want, but not adhering to our current measures puts my family at risk. They're the ones caring for your sick ass to make sure you make it. I'll go ahead and listen to my Brother in law, an MD, my sister a nurse practitioner, my wife a registered nurse, her boss a world renowned cardiologist, my niece whose also a nurse at the front door of the hospital screening sick people without proper PPE.
Man, where to start, that's a lot to chew on.

No, you don't need to show any work. If those are the numbers you believe that's ok. A few weeks ago we were told 5 million Americans could die. Last week we were told 240,000. Then 80,000. Yesterday they were saying about 50,000. I guess we'll wait to see how it all shakes out.

We'll learn a lot more about the testing, and you seem upset about this, but I'm sorry; the 1 in 4 positive numbers just don't worry me and until we learn more, I have to take those with a grain of salt. It's very common knowledge that because we were so behind the curve on testing, that ONLY people showing symptoms can even be tested. We also know that many people show little symptoms or none at all. So of the four people who are obviously sick and showing enough symptoms to get tested, just 1 proves positive. Then obviously you keep working the numbers and of the 25% positive, few even require hospitalization. It's just not a very worrisome number considering the rate of serious illness and more importantly death.

I will certainly think what I want, but I am adhering to our measures. Wife not working, kids not going to school or hanging with friends, only go out for "essentials" etc. If that helps it helps. I prefer it to not go on much longer as my personal opinion are the aftershocks are going to be worse than the virus. Just my opinion. Part of me almost hopes that they tell us that they want to enforce these stay-at-home orders until the year is over. I imagine more people will hop to my way of thinking if they are forced to be home and not work for 9 more months and not just a couple months.

Not quite sure on the next part? My sick ass? I haven't been sick but I guess I appreciate people taking care of me. You can listen to whoever you want. That's the beauty. There are a lot of VERY smart people who have differing opinions on this matter. In the end we won't know much until we look back on this in the coming years.

I appreciate you taking every precaution there is. I think many people are. I am taking most, though I find some kind of funny. Maybe funny is the wrong word. Maybe unbalanced? The things I'm able to do right now versus the things I can't do for safety reasons don't always seem to add up. But that's ok too.

Anyway, as I am in quarantine like a good guy I got time on my hands, hence the long post. Apologies for that. It's a fascinating subject and I can handle the insults and name-calling. Appreciate the discussion.
My thoughts exactly.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:41 pm

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:37 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:52 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I don’t think it’s going to be as bad as you’re thinking. It isn’t like everything is completely shutdown. Everywhere I go I ask how business is going and the responses are all positive. I doubt that’s true everywhere, but like I said everything thing isn’t completely shutdown. I would expect, especially in states like Montana, you’ll start things opening back up in a couple weeks. C-19 models for Montana are showing significant improvements.
This is what’s so fascinating to me with this whole pandemic. Just two totally different schools of thought. Both that can’t truly be proven one way or the other right now. Likely in months and years we’ll finally have a good understanding.

I’m not a trump guy. Didn’t vote for him. Think he does some crazy things. That said, I wouldn’t want to be him right now. He’s about to make the biggest decision I can recall in my life. Guys like me and probably 50% of the people wanna open it up, get back to business as normal. The other 50% would prefer lockdown as long as it takes regardless of the economy. Regardless of what he does he’s gonna get blasted.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:45 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:37 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

This is what’s so fascinating to me with this whole pandemic. Just two totally different schools of thought. Both that can’t truly be proven one way or the other right now. Likely in months and years we’ll finally have a good understanding.

I’m not a trump guy. Didn’t vote for him. Think he does some crazy things. That said, I wouldn’t want to be him right now. He’s about to make the biggest decision I can recall in my life. Guys like me and probably 50% of the people wanna open it up, get back to business as normal. The other 50% would prefer lockdown as long as it takes regardless of the economy. Regardless of what he does he’s gonna get blasted.
I think all Trump can do is open up federal government offices. I think the governors have the call state-by-state. Not sure what the local governments role is.

Thing is, Trump or Bullock can say “go,” but that doesn’t mean everyone goes back to the bars and restaurants and ski hills, etc. The other thing is if they lift social distancing, there’s nothing to stop it from having new, big outbreaks.

toM StUber

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:54 pm

I just heard that a Griz football player has tested positive for coronavirus. What are the chances that he picked it up during spring ball from a teammate, or that he passed it to a teammate before showing signs? Lots of questions and concerns, but this is going to have an impact on sports next dear unless a treatment (like flumadine for the flu) or a vaccine is developed.

Also, complete speculation, but I will not be surprised to find out that a large portion of our population has been infected and recovered without ever getting tested. Many examples have started to come out where people did not even know they had coronavirus, so they never sought out a test. Hopefully our medical experts can quantify the risk accurately in the very near future.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:07 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:54 pm
I just heard that a Griz football player has tested positive for coronavirus. What are the chances that he picked it up during spring ball from a teammate, or that he passed it to a teammate before showing signs? Lots of questions and concerns, but this is going to have an impact on sports next dear unless a treatment (like flumadine for the flu) or a vaccine is developed.

Also, complete speculation, but I will not be surprised to find out that a large portion of our population has been infected and recovered without ever getting tested. Many examples have started to come out where people did not even know they had coronavirus, so they never sought out a test. Hopefully our medical experts can quantify the risk accurately in the very near future.
This seems to be more and more true as we gather more information.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:26 pm

Cataholic wrote:
I just heard that a Griz football player has tested positive for coronavirus.
That really sucks.

toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:09 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:26 pm
Cataholic wrote:
I just heard that a Griz football player has tested positive for coronavirus.
That really sucks.
That does suck. The only way that I see a football season happening this Fall is if we are able to test both teams and staffs on a weekly basis, to ensure that the players are safe to compete. If they do compete, how do you "fill the stands"? Do you even try. Televised games are safest but how will that work for revenues? Can you do a hybrid of some sort with partial attendance and tv? Lots of questions to be answered and a relatively short window to do it in. The vaccine could be years away so we are not going back to 2019 any time soon.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:13 am

What if...

...we form a temporary league with just Montana, NoDak, and SoDak. Play a home and home with UM, USD, UND, SDSU and NDSU. Ten games and pick up another home game vs. a Frontier team. Those three states are relatively Covid-free now. Players could come to camp early and stay in the dorms with everyone getting there own room and only X number of players on a floor. Open up food services (MSU would have a big advantage there :) ) and provide other amenities.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:39 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:45 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I think all Trump can do is open up federal government offices. I think the governors have the call state-by-state. Not sure what the local governments role is.

Thing is, Trump or Bullock can say “go,” but that doesn’t mean everyone goes back to the bars and restaurants and ski hills, etc. The other thing is if they lift social distancing, there’s nothing to stop it from having new, big outbreaks.
Yes, I understand this and I'm very happy that each state can make decisions on what is best for them. I'd be even more frustrated than I am right now if we had to follow the same guidelines as NYC and the like. I just feel like more governors would be inclined to follow the lead of the feds which obviously could go either way.

I agree with your second statement as well. I don't think it will be a magic wand and suddenly everything is opened up and back to normal. But I'd think we could start to open up bars and restaurants and other stores and if we need to start with some capacity limitations or something I'd be ok with that. I'm beating the same drum I know, I just feel like we're making monster sacrifices in this state that is really crushing people for fear of a virus.

I also fully admit I come at this from a perspective of a business owner. I'm actually one of the lucky ones that have "essential" businesses so for me, business has never been better. I've worked nearly every day through this entire shutdown. A few weeks ago driving to work was a ghost town. A couple weeks ago you noticed a bit more traffic. The last couple weeks, it has been so busy around town that if you didn't know what was going on, you wouldn't suspect a thing. People are going out. "Essential" stores are packed every day. I feel like some very good businesses, and very good people and families are getting killed in this; while others just go about their days. I guess I just don't see how going to Costco with hundreds of other shoppers is somehow much safer than going to my local brewery for a couple beers. Or standing in a line with ten other people in a restaurant for some takeout is much safer than if I were to sit down?

I REALLY hope the governor looks at Montana, and does what is best for Montana. Because I have a feeling what is best for us here and what can work great here may not be what works best for other states. These next few weeks should be very interesting.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:49 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Well Trump is going to get blasted because he has handled this entire thing horribly. Luckily state and local government have made serious efforts to flatten the curve of COVID-19.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/13/83279759 ... nfulfilled