What If?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

What If?

Post by catatac » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:03 am

What if... the 2020 college football season actually gets cancelled. I was thinking through what all that would mean, personally for me a bunch of weekends where I'd be depressed because I wasn't in the stadium cheering my ass off. :D Would get more fishing and hunting in I suppose.

But, one little sliver of a silver lining would be that the best football player in the FCS would have a chance to fully heal up and head into his Senior season healthy, ready to lead his team to a serious run at taking down NDSU. What else?
Last edited by catatac on Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: What If?

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:11 am

The NCAA would be absolutely screwed. College sports as we know them would HAVE to change.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:28 am

catatac wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:03 am
What if... the 2020 college football season actually gets cancelled. I was thinking through what all that would mean, personally for me a bunch of weekends where I'd be depressed because I wasn't in the stadium cheering my ass off. :D Would get more fishing and hunting in I supposed.

But, one little sliver of a silver lining would be that the best football player in the FCS would have a chance to fully heal up and head into his Senior season healthy, ready to lead his team to a serious run at taking down NDSU. What else?
Not sure how most athletic departments would be able to pay their bills.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:32 pm

What about the seniors that would graduate and not come back an extra year to play football? Troy? It would all suck.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:52 pm

We should all start preparing for that. Not saying it will, but based on how some people haven't been taking this very seriously, it could. The longer people keep comparing it to car accidents, cancer, and the flu, etc., the less likely there's a CFB season. I'm sure it will subside this summer, but I'm also sure it'll return in the fall. Just how hard it comes back and whether there's a remedy for it will determine if there's college football this season.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:14 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:03 am
What if... the 2020 college football season actually gets cancelled. I was thinking through what all that would mean, personally for me a bunch of weekends where I'd be depressed because I wasn't in the stadium cheering my ass off. :D Would get more fishing and hunting in I supposed.

Thinking the same thing, lots what if's. It would be odd....thinking by then social distancing would't/hopefully wouldn't be as important. MSU could do "game nights" and watch re-runs of last season, I would buy a season pass for that.

bozely
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bozely » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:44 pm

First year I've been able to plan and afford season tickets and COVID happens. Go figure. I just hope either way that the responsible decision is made, even if it hurts now, we'll feel better about it later.

A new era of football is here, UofM no longer will be the sole power in a much stronger Big Sky. ESG GCG

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:01 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:52 pm
We should all start preparing for that. Not saying it will, but based on how some people haven't been taking this very seriously, it could. The longer people keep comparing it to car accidents, cancer, and the flu, etc., the less likely there's a CFB season. I'm sure it will subside this summer, but I'm also sure it'll return in the fall. Just how hard it comes back and whether there's a remedy for it will determine if there's college football this season.
Totally agree. I don't see how we go back to sporting events in the fall unless there is a vaccine.

2024 Resume dominance

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:19 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:01 pm
iaafan wrote:
Totally agree. I don't see how we go back to sporting events in the fall unless there is a vaccine.
Human trials take at least a year. There will be no vaccine until 2021. All of these companies announcing they have a vaccine are just trying to make the news.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:32 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:32 pm
What about the seniors that would graduate and not come back an extra year to play football? Troy? It would all suck.
What? If they actually did cancel the football season but still continued on with classes and students could still attend college in the Fall via online classes or whatever, certainly all Seniors would have the option to come back and play the following year. If you're saying some players might opt to not return for their Senior years, yes I suppose that could happen but I'd be surprised if any contributors on this Bobcat team went that route.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:17 pm

Cledus wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:19 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Human trials take at least a year. There will be no vaccine until 2021. All of these companies announcing they have a vaccine are just trying to make the news.
True, but I am not sure we need a vaccine to return to some sense of normalcy. Developing a treatment and then a cure will take a lot less time. This is a very weak and dumb virus and has been tipping it's hand so I would expect a treatment and eventually a cure to come pretty quick. Now, in a normal world this treatment and cure would also need clinical trials. However, I would imagine that some of that would end up happening in parallel to using this treatment, at least for the more serious patients. If this were to happen then we could go back to a fairly normal routine. The vaccine is the goal but if you can treat people effectively (99.9%) of the population who contracts the virus then you should be able to allowing social gatherings.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:46 pm

gtapp wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:17 pm
Cledus wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
True, but I am not sure we need a vaccine to return to some sense of normalcy. Developing a treatment and then a cure will take a lot less time. This is a very weak and dumb virus and has been tipping it's hand so I would expect a treatment and eventually a cure to come pretty quick. Now, in a normal world this treatment and cure would also need clinical trials. However, I would imagine that some of that would end up happening in parallel to using this treatment, at least for the more serious patients. If this were to happen then we could go back to a fairly normal routine. The vaccine is the goal but if you can treat people effectively (99.9%) of the population who contracts the virus then you should be able to allowing social gatherings.
Wow... just wow. That weak and dumb virus has crippled the world. Remember when Britian was just going to let the virus run its coarse? Well 25% of the people in Britain tested for Covid-19 have come back positive... 1 in freaking 4, super weak virus. Listen to your doctors.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:38 pm

The NAIA is preparing to move fall sports back.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:47 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:46 pm
gtapp wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:17 pm
Cledus wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Wow... just wow. That weak and dumb virus has crippled the world. Remember when Britian was just going to let the virus run its coarse? Well 25% of the people in Britain tested for Covid-19 have come back positive... 1 in freaking 4, super weak virus. Listen to your doctors.
The virus is incredibly easy to kill outside the body therefore weak. It does not disguise itself therefore dumb. Yes, it spreads easily and once you have ithe virus it is deadly for 1%-2% of the population. I expect the treatment options to be available in 8 weeks or less and a cure by late this year.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Bobcatstan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcatstan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:12 am

Do you seriously think, after all this, that 18,000 people are going to jam into a stadium and sit shoulder to shoulder? If so, ur crazy. I for one will not put me or others in a situation that's not good

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:18 am

Bobcatstan wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:12 am
Do you seriously think, after all this, that 18,000 people are going to jam into a stadium and sit shoulder to shoulder? If so, ur crazy. I for one will not put me or others in a situation that's not good
Of course people will go back to sporting events and other crowded gatherings after this crisis is over. It's just a question of how long it will take before it's safe to do it again. Will spread of the virus lessen greatly if we practice social distancing long enough, will a safe and effective treatment be found in the next weeks or months, or will we need to wait a year or more until an effective vaccine can be developed and tested?

Bobcatstan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcatstan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:26 am

I love sports as much as anybody, have for 50 plus years. But I don't think, unless people are dumber than I think, that most are willing to put themselves and others in jeopardy for awhile. Attendance all over is going to be substantially down from normal.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:51 am

Bobcatstan wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:26 am
I love sports as much as anybody, have for 50 plus years. But I don't think, unless people are dumber than I think, that most are willing to put themselves and others in jeopardy for awhile. Attendance all over is going to be substantially down from normal.
I think the bigger question is, "will the school put the players and students at risk this fall to play the game?" . I'm not convinced they will...at this point.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:14 am

Bobcatstan wrote:
I certainly agree there - whenever sports start back up again, things won't go immediately back to how they were before the great cancellations of March 2020. But the fans will come back as the situation gets safer, some right away and some more gradually, and Bobcat Stadium will be full again sooner rather than later.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:26 am

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:14 am
Bobcatstan wrote:
I certainly agree there - whenever sports start back up again, things won't go immediately back to how they were before the great cancellations of March 2020. But the fans will come back as the situation gets safer, some right away and some more gradually, and Bobcat Stadium will be full again sooner rather than later.
I tend to agree with bcstan. I recall when the quake formed Quake Lake. People were hesitant to go fish the Madison or Hebgen even though the fishing was unbelievable because of the fear. Given the history of other corona virus strains and general flu seasons, I think people are going to be really well informed, especially given how many mistakes and how much false reporting we're receiving from governmental agencies via the various media outlets. Montana has, by virtue of its low population, a built in ability to social distance and solitude will continue to be sought.