Is a late start to offseason to our benefit?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Is a late start to offseason to our benefit?

Post by Clinton T » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:24 am

With spring ball all but cancelled, I began wondering about fall practices. If fall camp is abbreviated, I can see a scenario where, at least early in the season (if we have a season at all), we would have an advantage over many Big Sky teams. Last year we were a power running team with a limited playbook. I never played football or profess to know x's and o's, but I'm not sure anyone one here can argue that our offense is overly complicated. I would think we would have a leg up on teams trying to adjust to new coordinators (more on ours below), and complicated passing games (hot routes, route trees, pass blocking on 7 and 9 step drops, etc). Teams have generally known what we are going to do on offense the past couple of years and our success has come down to superior talent, technique, and discipline. I am not sure how our new OC will change our offense, but I remember Choate saying that we will remain a power team but add in elements of the Texas Tech air raid offense. If time is limited I can see us sprinkling in those new wrinkles in as the season progresses.

On defense, I am optimistic our continuity with Ioane will pay dividends. We will have a lot of new players in starting spots (a couple of them transfers) but it seems that our defensive style isn't overly complicated either. Lots of man, some zone blitzing, some quarters. They say the offense takes a while to catch up to the defense early in the season and even though we will be younger, I have a feeling that both units will be flying around early.

Lastly, I believe the culture of accountability and effort Choate has instilled in this team will keep these guys working out hard and finding a way to keep in great shape (through gym closures). Looking at the athletic department's videos of the guys achieving PRs in the weightroom was awesome to see. It was evident there is a lot of pride and competition, but also camaraderie in the locker room.

I know I am oversimplifying things...what would those of you who actually know the sport well say? Will we have an advantage over other teams in the conference to begin the season if the offseason program is shortened?

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Is a late start to offseason to our benefit?

Post by technoCat » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:32 am

I think the reasons that you list also apply to Weber State and SSU who are probably our main competition going into the year. Weber is breaking in a new QB though so there is that. I wonder how now practices will impact our QB competition. I imagine Choate would start out with Rovig by default but who knows.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Clinton T » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:05 pm

technoCat wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:32 am
I think the reasons that you list also apply to Weber State and SSU who are probably our main competition going into the year. Weber is breaking in a new QB though so there is that. I wonder how now practices will impact our QB competition. I imagine Choate would start out with Rovig by default but who knows.
I guess I didn't consider those two teams, but of the two I would think Weber St has the most similarities to the way we play. I can see them coming out of the gates strong. Their quarterback didn't exactly light the world on fire last year so his transfer might end up being beneficial to the team. It seems to me that Sacramento State is more reliant on the passing game than Weber or MSU, but their passing attack doesn't seem too complicated (at least from what I can tell...their receivers are usually just flat better than opposing CBs and are able to win 50/50 battles more often than not). That will work to their advantage.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:21 pm

I’m thinking in the end it doesn’t help or hurt. It’ll be the same for everyone.

Some thoughts;

* We’re a run first team and essentially all of our run production returns....4 of 5 OL starters, 8 of 9 on the OL two-deep, all our TE’s, the only RB we lose is Logan Jones who for most teams would be a bigger deal but with Lane Sumner & Shane Perry returning that fills that hole nicely, as well as our Run Game coordinator Brian Armstrong. Therefore I think the majority of our offense won’t miss a beat.

* As usual our first 3 games are OOC.....Long Island at home (which we should win), @ Utah (which we won’t win), and Dixie State at home (which we should win). Then we start BSC play @ Portland State followed by UNC & CP both at home before traveling to WSU on Oct 17th (7 weeks into the season). The schedule I think lines up well for us. I think it is realistic to expect we will be 5-1 going into our game against Weber.

* Having Ioane back as DC will provide for continuity, but filling our safety spots is a ?. Could be some growing pains there.

*Certainly the biggest item of concern is a new OC along with the possibility of a new QB which could mean our pass game could take awhile to gel, but as I outlined above I think the beginning of our season lines up well for ‘learning on the go’ so-to-speak.

Time will tell. GO CATS!