2020 Pro Day

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: 2020 Pro Day

Post by Darth Yoda » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:00 am

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:39 am
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:18 pm
He can get stuff off the top shelf though.

McDonald's doesn't have high shelfs.
I know what's going here...but the fact that the video shows him missing made me laugh. Kind of like his 18 tackles a game. :lol:

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 95bcfb » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:58 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:00 am
Montanabob wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

I know what's going here...but the fact that the video shows him missing made me laugh. Kind of like his 18 tackles a game. :lol:
I hate the griz as much as any but from all accounts he is a quality person. I think he is a a good player and I hope he does well. If he tears it up in the pros it makes our accomplishments against him all the more impressive.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:12 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

The video shows him basically hitting a 42" vert twice in a row. It's very impressive.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:04 am

95bcfb wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:58 am
Darth Yoda wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

I hate the griz as much as any but from all accounts he is a quality person. I think he is a a good player and I hope he does well. If he tears it up in the pros it makes our accomplishments against him all the more impressive.
He was a non-factor in the Brawl games. To be honest, Zack Hall who won the Buck last year, was far more disruptive in the SEMO game than Olsen was in the Brawl. I don't have a link, but I remember Choate saying they counted one of his games for fun and got a significantly lower number of tackles. He followed by saying stats are for losers. There's a reason no other NFL linebacker has ever jumped 42" at a combine: they are all stronger and faster than Olsen.

I think he's a very, very good BSC level linebackers. No more. No less.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:37 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:04 am
95bcfb wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:58 am
Darth Yoda wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

He was a non-factor in the Brawl games. To be honest, Zack Hall who won the Buck last year, was far more disruptive in the SEMO game than Olsen was in the Brawl. I don't have a link, but I remember Choate saying they counted one of his games for fun and got a significantly lower number of tackles. He followed by saying stats are for losers. There's a reason no other NFL linebacker has ever jumped 42" at a combine: they are all stronger and faster than Olsen.

I think he's a very, very good BSC level linebackers. No more. No less.
I mean, jumping 42" is rare. Very unique. It actually requires a lot of strength/explosion.

The odd thing is that it didn't translate to his 40 or broad jump like you would think it would. His 3-cone was good, and SS was okay. His strength, obviously, not great.

Basically all the stuff I saw on film showed up. And I got trashed for it here. He can blow up gaps, but he's often late, and thus gets his tackles downfield. With his speed (or lack of) he has to be perfect every time. Good player, but I don't see NFL quality there. I mean, he's an off-ball LB running a 4.9 40 at less than 240 lbs. The only guy in recent history I can think of that's had a similar time was Vontaze Burfict, who was bigger and stronger. A true plugger. Olson's size doesn't profile as a plugger, his strength doesn't profile as a plugger, but his speed profiles as a plugger. Where's he gonna play?! He can't take on blocks and he can't cover! Not fast enough for special teams, and not enough potential to justify keeping a roster spot on. His speed and strength is disqualifying. Just like I said after Cat-Griz. He simply wasn't a factor.

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:00 pm

Can't wait till next year when the Beaverhead Beast goes to the combine, let's see will he go with the QB's, running backs, linebackers or safeties :-k

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:28 pm

This got me to thinking about Mac Bignells number.

Height: 6’0 feet
Weight: 232 pounds
Wingspan: 74.4 inches
Bench Press: 26 reps
Vertical Jump: 33.4 inches
Broad Jump: 9’9″ feet
40-yard Dash: 4.88 seconds, 4.89
20-shuttle: 4.35 seconds
3-cone: 7.17 seconds
60-shuttle: 12.35

Dante Olson

Height: 6’2 feet
Weight: 237
Wingspan: unkn
Bench Press: 15 reps
Vertical Jump: 42 inches
Broad Jump: 10’4″ feet
40-yard Dash: 4.88 seconds
20-shuttle: 4.32 seconds
3-cone: 7.00 seconds
60-shuttle: unkn

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:37 pm

autocat wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:00 pm
Can't wait till next year when the Beaverhead Beast goes to the combine, let's see will he go with the QB's, running backs, linebackers or safeties :-k
I believe the answer is yes

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:39 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:28 pm
This got me to thinking about Mac Bignells number.

Height: 6’0 feet
Weight: 232 pounds
Wingspan: 74.4 inches
Bench Press: 26 reps
Vertical Jump: 33.4 inches
Broad Jump: 9’9″ feet
40-yard Dash: 4.88 seconds, 4.89
20-shuttle: 4.35 seconds
3-cone: 7.17 seconds
60-shuttle: 12.35

Dante Olson

Height: 6’2 feet
Weight: 237
Wingspan: unkn
Bench Press: 15 reps
Vertical Jump: 42 inches
Broad Jump: 10’4″ feet
40-yard Dash: 4.88 seconds
20-shuttle: 4.32 seconds
3-cone: 7.00 seconds
60-shuttle: unkn
Probably add 0.05 to 0.1 to Mac's 40 time. Combine vs pro day is a decent discrepancy.

Still can't believe Mac weighed in at 230. Dude must've been jacked that day! Probably why he timed a little slower than he played.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:11 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:27 am
Pulling for the kid. I said after the last brawl I came away impressed. I still think he’s a 6-7 rounder if not an UFA. But I think wherever he goes he’s capable of making a team.
He’s going to need to be a beast on special teams to make a roster.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Clinton T » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:33 pm

Hope the kid has a better showing on his pro day. From what I saw watching the Griz play, the kid has heart and makes plays all over the field. Great representative for the state of Montana. I will always pull for Griz players to make the NFL. Hopefully there aren't TOO many in the future though... :-)

Seriously though, what is the deal with the 40 time? I was blown away when I saw how slow he was given the fact he almost hit his head on the ceiling on the vertical jump test. The bench press was also disappointing. I am a 37 year old who weighs 160 pounds and can get ten reps at 225...not sure how they are explaining that away over on ejizz, but elevation must have had something to do with it...

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:00 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:11 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:27 am
Pulling for the kid. I said after the last brawl I came away impressed. I still think he’s a 6-7 rounder if not an UFA. But I think wherever he goes he’s capable of making a team.
He’s going to need to be a beast on special teams to make a roster.
I agree

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:02 am

Jace Lewis will put up similar numbers to Olson.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:05 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:37 am

I mean, jumping 42" is rare. Very unique. It actually requires a lot of strength/explosion.

The odd thing is that it didn't translate to his 40 or broad jump like you would think it would. His 3-cone was good, and SS was okay. His strength, obviously, not great.

Basically all the stuff I saw on film showed up. And I got trashed for it here. He can blow up gaps, but he's often late, and thus gets his tackles downfield. With his speed (or lack of) he has to be perfect every time. Good player, but I don't see NFL quality there. I mean, he's an off-ball LB running a 4.9 40 at less than 240 lbs. The only guy in recent history I can think of that's had a similar time was Vontaze Burfict, who was bigger and stronger. A true plugger. Olson's size doesn't profile as a plugger, his strength doesn't profile as a plugger, but his speed profiles as a plugger. Where's he gonna play?! He can't take on blocks and he can't cover! Not fast enough for special teams, and not enough potential to justify keeping a roster spot on. His speed and strength is disqualifying. Just like I said after Cat-Griz. He simply wasn't a factor.
I’m dying to read your analysis of Robbie Hauck. I only saw him play vs MSU and I thought he was average at best.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:06 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:05 am
bobcat99 wrote:

I’m dying to read your analysis of Robbie Hauck. I only saw him play vs MSU and I thought he was average at best.
That seems to be the consensus. Even on egriz most seem to think he’s a pretty average talent. I heard the mumbling about him all year but was still shocked seeing him live in the Brawl. Not very fast. Not very strong. Was often out of position. Was surprised he was the best they had to put back there.

I will say when I got the feeling almost everyone on that side gave up, he and Dante did not. They were playing as hard as they could every single play they were in the game. It was noticeable. That was my biggest takeaway from Dante as well. His motor was never ending.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:30 am

iaafan wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

You're being generous.

He's tough, gritty, smart. I'd take him on my team any day. The kind of kid you want on your team.

With that said, he wouldn't play here at MSU. Small, slow. A good BSC special teams player. Huge liability in coverage, and not big or strong enough to make up for it. Damn he plays hard though. Again, I'd love a kid like that on my team any day.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:51 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:30 am
iaafan wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

You're being generous.

He's tough, gritty, smart. I'd take him on my team any day. The kind of kid you want on your team.

With that said, he wouldn't play here at MSU. Small, slow. A good BSC special teams player. Huge liability in coverage, and not big or strong enough to make up for it. Damn he plays hard though. Again, I'd love a kid like that on my team any day.
Woah guys...you're talking about a HERO Sports All-American here!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:16 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:51 am
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

You're being generous.

In the time it took me to read these posts, he just picked up another 42 tackles according to certain stat keepers. 8)

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:24 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:51 am
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

You're being generous.

That's what happens when you "scout" via the box score.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:07 am

I gotta say that I thought Dante would test better. On the field, he looked like at least a mid 4.7 guy to me. He had to make a lot of plays downfield but to catch up to the play still shows some speed. Thought he would be stronger too but the bench press always seems so random to me. Guys might just not be feeling right that day or whatever, costing them reps and others are jacked up on adrenaline and go way over what they normally would. He seems like a team player and a generally good guy so I won't bash him but right now its not looking good for his NFL prospects. Maybe he can make an impact in the CFL. Does anyone remember what Singleton ran at his pro-day?

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN