Top/Favorite Recruits?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

User avatar
Bozcat003
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1894
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:36 pm

Top/Favorite Recruits?

Post by Bozcat003 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:08 am

I think it's always fun to look back and see what recruits everyone was high on. Anyone got a "Top 5" maybe? This class was extremely hard and I do believe that this is Choate's strongest class (outside of a DE transfer - need one in my opinion).

I'll take a stab but am no expert. Listing top 10 pretty much. I'm not good at simplifying the list. Left Specialists like Bryce Leighton, Blake Glessner and Tommy Sullivan off (although pretty sure 2+ of them will start this year) and left Transfers off.

1.) Charles Brown, WR: Elite speed at this level. Already on campus, give him a spring / summer and he is ahead of the rest of the class. Could push for starting time this year in my opinion.

2.) Brode Grebe, Buck/LB: Size, speed, and already on campus as well. I could see him playing this year but imagine he does end up redshirting, but I'm very high on him (as is everyone else).

3.) JT Reed, OL: I think he will be a 3-4 year starter on the offensive line. Could either play guard or end up being a center once Zach Redd is gone. I think he also could've been a really good DT if needed.

4.) Minaya Olivo, RB: Players with that speed (verified in the low 4.40) and that size (6-0, 190) don't come to the FCS much. I honestly am not sure how we got him except we run a lot, and the academics at MSU are phenomenal. I could see him playing this year but ultimately redshirting and taking over once Ifanse leaves. With him, Hosey, Sumner, and Elliot I think running back is set for a while.

5.) Max Lenzy, CB: Good ball skills, could push for playing time all year. Not sure he will redshirt honestly. Seems to have that "It" factor. Could see him playing behind Filer and moving Zambrano to safety.


Other guys I'm really high on:

Danny Uluilakepa, LB: Tackling machine - has all you want. Linebacker is deep so may take a bit for him to rise up but he looks solid. Him and McCade O'Reilly will make a great inside linebacker tandem down the road

Rush Reimer, OL: Future RT once Connor Wood graduates.

Tommy Mellott, QB/ATH: Super athlete, great numbers. I hope to see him at QB.

Aiden Parks, LB: Great athlete for linebacker. Future starting SAM backer?

Elijah Elliot, RB: Has great vision, I could easily put him in the top 5. No official word yet but I do think he is signed up and maybe MSU is waiting on a few other transfers to then announce him as well?


Diamond in the rough is Connor Ryan in my opinion. I could see him making some sort of impact this year. Not sure if at safety or special teams.



User avatar
mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4325
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:44 pm

Re: Top/Favorite Recruits?

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:35 am

Yer top 5 looks pretty solid to me.... it will be really interesting to see who steps up immediately from this class and plays next year.

Charles brown has a legit shot at starting, not only because of his talent, but having an entire off season with the team is huge. It’s almost like he is coming in as a redshirt freshman.


FTG- GO CATS GO!

bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3655
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Top/Favorite Recruits?

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:47 am

Bozcat003 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:08 am
I think it's always fun to look back and see what recruits everyone was high on. Anyone got a "Top 5" maybe? This class was extremely hard and I do believe that this is Choate's strongest class (outside of a DE transfer - need one in my opinion).

I'll take a stab but am no expert. Listing top 10 pretty much. I'm not good at simplifying the list. Left Specialists like Bryce Leighton, Blake Glessner and Tommy Sullivan off (although pretty sure 2+ of them will start this year) and left Transfers off.

1.) Charles Brown, WR: Elite speed at this level. Already on campus, give him a spring / summer and he is ahead of the rest of the class. Could push for starting time this year in my opinion.

2.) Brode Grebe, Buck/LB: Size, speed, and already on campus as well. I could see him playing this year but imagine he does end up redshirting, but I'm very high on him (as is everyone else).

3.) JT Reed, OL: I think he will be a 3-4 year starter on the offensive line. Could either play guard or end up being a center once Zach Redd is gone. I think he also could've been a really good DT if needed.

4.) Minaya Olivo, RB: Players with that speed (verified in the low 4.40) and that size (6-0, 190) don't come to the FCS much. I honestly am not sure how we got him except we run a lot, and the academics at MSU are phenomenal. I could see him playing this year but ultimately redshirting and taking over once Ifanse leaves. With him, Hosey, Sumner, and Elliot I think running back is set for a while.

5.) Max Lenzy, CB: Good ball skills, could push for playing time all year. Not sure he will redshirt honestly. Seems to have that "It" factor. Could see him playing behind Filer and moving Zambrano to safety.


Other guys I'm really high on:

Danny Uluilakepa, LB: Tackling machine - has all you want. Linebacker is deep so may take a bit for him to rise up but he looks solid. Him and McCade O'Reilly will make a great inside linebacker tandem down the road

Rush Reimer, OL: Future RT once Connor Wood graduates.

Tommy Mellott, QB/ATH: Super athlete, great numbers. I hope to see him at QB.

Aiden Parks, LB: Great athlete for linebacker. Future starting SAM backer?

Elijah Elliot, RB: Has great vision, I could easily put him in the top 5. No official word yet but I do think he is signed up and maybe MSU is waiting on a few other transfers to then announce him as well?


Diamond in the rough is Connor Ryan in my opinion. I could see him making some sort of impact this year. Not sure if at safety or special teams.
Lol in another thread I did my top guys, and I think you got all of them on here! I didn't add Mellott, but had everybody else here.

Charles Brown is easily my favorite recruit.



bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3655
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Top/Favorite Recruits?

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:48 am

Fwiw, Olivo is a verified 4.5 40, not low 4.4's.



User avatar
Bozcat003
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1894
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: Top/Favorite Recruits?

Post by Bozcat003 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:59 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:48 am
Fwiw, Olivo is a verified 4.5 40, not low 4.4's.
Thanks for the clarification. Still elite speed in the FCS. I saw this on Twitter and thought it was laser timed at 4.41 but it may have been hand timed.

Regardless at almost 6-0 and could easily get to 200 he could be an elite FCS back.




bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3655
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Top/Favorite Recruits?

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:00 am

Bozcat003 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:59 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:48 am
Fwiw, Olivo is a verified 4.5 40, not low 4.4's.
Thanks for the clarification. Still elite speed in the FCS. I saw this on Twitter and thought it was laser timed at 4.41 but it may have been hand timed.

Regardless at almost 6-0 and could easily get to 200 he could be an elite FCS back.

Oh I never saw that! His recruiting page isn't updated then.

Good grief, that's ridiculous. Yeah, as far as I know, that's a legit time.



bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3655
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Top/Favorite Recruits?

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:10 am

Bozcat003 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:59 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:48 am
Fwiw, Olivo is a verified 4.5 40, not low 4.4's.
Thanks for the clarification. Still elite speed in the FCS. I saw this on Twitter and thought it was laser timed at 4.41 but it may have been hand timed.

Regardless at almost 6-0 and could easily get to 200 he could be an elite FCS back.

He's already 5'11 193.

I would think that he could easily get to 210-215 without losing speed. He has a big frame on him.



coochorama42
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Re: Top/Favorite Recruits?

Post by coochorama42 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:24 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:08 am
I think it's always fun to look back and see what recruits everyone was high on. Anyone got a "Top 5" maybe? This class was extremely hard and I do believe that this is Choate's strongest class (outside of a DE transfer - need one in my opinion).

I'll take a stab but am no expert. Listing top 10 pretty much. I'm not good at simplifying the list. Left Specialists like Bryce Leighton, Blake Glessner and Tommy Sullivan off (although pretty sure 2+ of them will start this year) and left Transfers off.

1.) Charles Brown, WR: Elite speed at this level. Already on campus, give him a spring / summer and he is ahead of the rest of the class. Could push for starting time this year in my opinion.

2.) Brode Grebe, Buck/LB: Size, speed, and already on campus as well. I could see him playing this year but imagine he does end up redshirting, but I'm very high on him (as is everyone else).

3.) JT Reed, OL: I think he will be a 3-4 year starter on the offensive line. Could either play guard or end up being a center once Zach Redd is gone. I think he also could've been a really good DT if needed.

4.) Minaya Olivo, RB: Players with that speed (verified in the low 4.40) and that size (6-0, 190) don't come to the FCS much. I honestly am not sure how we got him except we run a lot, and the academics at MSU are phenomenal. I could see him playing this year but ultimately redshirting and taking over once Ifanse leaves. With him, Hosey, Sumner, and Elliot I think running back is set for a while.

5.) Max Lenzy, CB: Good ball skills, could push for playing time all year. Not sure he will redshirt honestly. Seems to have that "It" factor. Could see him playing behind Filer and moving Zambrano to safety.


Other guys I'm really high on:

Danny Uluilakepa, LB: Tackling machine - has all you want. Linebacker is deep so may take a bit for him to rise up but he looks solid. Him and McCade O'Reilly will make a great inside linebacker tandem down the road

Rush Reimer, OL: Future RT once Connor Wood graduates.

Tommy Mellott, QB/ATH: Super athlete, great numbers. I hope to see him at QB.

Aiden Parks, LB: Great athlete for linebacker. Future starting SAM backer?

Elijah Elliot, RB: Has great vision, I could easily put him in the top 5. No official word yet but I do think he is signed up and maybe MSU is waiting on a few other transfers to then announce him as well?


Diamond in the rough is Connor Ryan in my opinion. I could see him making some sort of impact this year. Not sure if at safety or special teams.
Interesting take. I have the same 10 guys, but in a different order. All 10 are legit top prospects. My ranking is dependent on role, fit, and positional scarcity. For me, the list is:

10. Parks - Looks like a solid future starter to me.
9. Brown - Amazing speed and an explosive playmaker. I'm hopeful he will be a good route runner in time. He will have to block well to be more than a 3rd down threat.
8. Reiner - Looks like a starting OT to me.
7. Grebe - He very well could be the best of the bunch, but I think the skill set will take time to develop. He may give two elite years and help two more.
6. Uluilakepa - His motor is insane. I think he could lead MSU in tackles for 2-3 years. Insane I like 5 guys more than him.
5. Elliot - I love how easy the game seems to him. His pass catching skills are going to add a new dimension to the offense. An elite talent.
4. Oliva - He has an amazing skill set and runs with speed and power. He could be 1st team all-conference.
3. Lenzy - I concur that he has the "it factor". He can do it all.
2. Mellott - I think he stays at QB and wins the job earlier than expected. I'm amazed at how intelligent he plays. Kids who can throw to the sideline/back of the end zone with precision are rare. His highlight reel shows a ton of vision and an accurate arm on throws up to 35 yards downfield.
1. Reed - I think he has the ceiling of a 1st team All-American OG for two years. He is a road grader. Dear goodness.

BTW...Rening is my sleeper. He seems to find open space where others can't.
Last edited by coochorama42 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.



superbobcat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:14 am

Re: Top/Favorite Recruits?

Post by superbobcat » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:46 pm

1. Reed- going to be really good.
2. Mellott- I’m a big fan. I too think he is going to push sooner than later. Butte friends tell me he is our Dabve Dickinson.

3. Olivia, Brown, and Lenzy - are talented kids in deep positions, time will sort it out.

4. Grebe-Good kid, talented, but I don’t see the same splash that Troy made. I hope I’m wrong!



bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3655
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Top/Favorite Recruits?

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:18 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:24 pm
Bozcat003 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:08 am
I think it's always fun to look back and see what recruits everyone was high on. Anyone got a "Top 5" maybe? This class was extremely hard and I do believe that this is Choate's strongest class (outside of a DE transfer - need one in my opinion).

I'll take a stab but am no expert. Listing top 10 pretty much. I'm not good at simplifying the list. Left Specialists like Bryce Leighton, Blake Glessner and Tommy Sullivan off (although pretty sure 2+ of them will start this year) and left Transfers off.

1.) Charles Brown, WR: Elite speed at this level. Already on campus, give him a spring / summer and he is ahead of the rest of the class. Could push for starting time this year in my opinion.

2.) Brode Grebe, Buck/LB: Size, speed, and already on campus as well. I could see him playing this year but imagine he does end up redshirting, but I'm very high on him (as is everyone else).

3.) JT Reed, OL: I think he will be a 3-4 year starter on the offensive line. Could either play guard or end up being a center once Zach Redd is gone. I think he also could've been a really good DT if needed.

4.) Minaya Olivo, RB: Players with that speed (verified in the low 4.40) and that size (6-0, 190) don't come to the FCS much. I honestly am not sure how we got him except we run a lot, and the academics at MSU are phenomenal. I could see him playing this year but ultimately redshirting and taking over once Ifanse leaves. With him, Hosey, Sumner, and Elliot I think running back is set for a while.

5.) Max Lenzy, CB: Good ball skills, could push for playing time all year. Not sure he will redshirt honestly. Seems to have that "It" factor. Could see him playing behind Filer and moving Zambrano to safety.


Other guys I'm really high on:

Danny Uluilakepa, LB: Tackling machine - has all you want. Linebacker is deep so may take a bit for him to rise up but he looks solid. Him and McCade O'Reilly will make a great inside linebacker tandem down the road

Rush Reimer, OL: Future RT once Connor Wood graduates.

Tommy Mellott, QB/ATH: Super athlete, great numbers. I hope to see him at QB.

Aiden Parks, LB: Great athlete for linebacker. Future starting SAM backer?

Elijah Elliot, RB: Has great vision, I could easily put him in the top 5. No official word yet but I do think he is signed up and maybe MSU is waiting on a few other transfers to then announce him as well?


Diamond in the rough is Connor Ryan in my opinion. I could see him making some sort of impact this year. Not sure if at safety or special teams.
Interesting take. I have the same 10 guys, but in a different order. All 10 are legit top prospects. My ranking is dependent on role, fit, and positional scarcity. For me, the list is:

10. Parks - Looks like a solid future starter to me.
9. Brown - Amazing speed and an explosive playmaker. I'm hopeful he will be a good route runner in time. He will have to block well to be more than a 3rd down threat.
8. Reiner - Looks like a starting OT to me.
7. Grebe - He very well could be the best of the bunch, but I think the skill set will take time to develop. He may give two elite years and help two more.
6. Uluilakepa - His motor is insane. I think he could lead MSU in tackles for 2-3 years. Insane I like 5 guys more than him.
5. Elliot - I love how easy the game seems to him. His pass catching skills are going to add a new dimension to the offense. An elite talent.
4. Oliva - He has an amazing skill set and runs with speed and power. He could be 1st team all-conference.
3. Lenzy - I concur that he has the "it factor". He can do it all.
2. Mellott - I think he stays at QB and wins the job earlier than expected. I'm amazed at how intelligent he plays. Kids who can throw to the sideline/back of the end zone with precision are rare. His highlight reel shows a ton of vision and an accurate arm on throws up to 35 yards downfield.
1. Reed - I think he has the ceiling of a 1st team All-American OG for two years. He is a road grader. Dear goodness.

BTW...Rening is my sleeper. He seems to find open space where others can't.
I agree with a lot of what you said, but Brown is already more than a 3rd down threat.

For one, you don't just pass on 3rd down anymore. He's also not just a deep threat. He feasted on quick screens and comebacks as well. Db's had to play him in off, and he killed teams on comebacks. I would agree he has to become a better route runner, but he's not bad there. My last point is that even if he isn't a good blocker, (I have no idea how he is in that regard) he has a positive impact on the running game. Why? He basically forces a safety to be deep because of his speed. Teams don't want to give up the deep ball. Defenses can't play the run game like they used to against us if we have a speed threat like him, and a QB who can get the ball to him. That's why I'm convinced running teams need a vertical threat. Recent examples are Hollywood Brown and Ted Finn Jr.



User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9735
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Top/Favorite Recruits?

Post by wbtfg » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:36 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:18 am
coochorama42 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:24 pm
Bozcat003 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:08 am
I think it's always fun to look back and see what recruits everyone was high on. Anyone got a "Top 5" maybe? This class was extremely hard and I do believe that this is Choate's strongest class (outside of a DE transfer - need one in my opinion).

I'll take a stab but am no expert. Listing top 10 pretty much. I'm not good at simplifying the list. Left Specialists like Bryce Leighton, Blake Glessner and Tommy Sullivan off (although pretty sure 2+ of them will start this year) and left Transfers off.

1.) Charles Brown, WR: Elite speed at this level. Already on campus, give him a spring / summer and he is ahead of the rest of the class. Could push for starting time this year in my opinion.

2.) Brode Grebe, Buck/LB: Size, speed, and already on campus as well. I could see him playing this year but imagine he does end up redshirting, but I'm very high on him (as is everyone else).

3.) JT Reed, OL: I think he will be a 3-4 year starter on the offensive line. Could either play guard or end up being a center once Zach Redd is gone. I think he also could've been a really good DT if needed.

4.) Minaya Olivo, RB: Players with that speed (verified in the low 4.40) and that size (6-0, 190) don't come to the FCS much. I honestly am not sure how we got him except we run a lot, and the academics at MSU are phenomenal. I could see him playing this year but ultimately redshirting and taking over once Ifanse leaves. With him, Hosey, Sumner, and Elliot I think running back is set for a while.

5.) Max Lenzy, CB: Good ball skills, could push for playing time all year. Not sure he will redshirt honestly. Seems to have that "It" factor. Could see him playing behind Filer and moving Zambrano to safety.


Other guys I'm really high on:

Danny Uluilakepa, LB: Tackling machine - has all you want. Linebacker is deep so may take a bit for him to rise up but he looks solid. Him and McCade O'Reilly will make a great inside linebacker tandem down the road

Rush Reimer, OL: Future RT once Connor Wood graduates.

Tommy Mellott, QB/ATH: Super athlete, great numbers. I hope to see him at QB.

Aiden Parks, LB: Great athlete for linebacker. Future starting SAM backer?

Elijah Elliot, RB: Has great vision, I could easily put him in the top 5. No official word yet but I do think he is signed up and maybe MSU is waiting on a few other transfers to then announce him as well?


Diamond in the rough is Connor Ryan in my opinion. I could see him making some sort of impact this year. Not sure if at safety or special teams.
Interesting take. I have the same 10 guys, but in a different order. All 10 are legit top prospects. My ranking is dependent on role, fit, and positional scarcity. For me, the list is:

10. Parks - Looks like a solid future starter to me.
9. Brown - Amazing speed and an explosive playmaker. I'm hopeful he will be a good route runner in time. He will have to block well to be more than a 3rd down threat.
8. Reiner - Looks like a starting OT to me.
7. Grebe - He very well could be the best of the bunch, but I think the skill set will take time to develop. He may give two elite years and help two more.
6. Uluilakepa - His motor is insane. I think he could lead MSU in tackles for 2-3 years. Insane I like 5 guys more than him.
5. Elliot - I love how easy the game seems to him. His pass catching skills are going to add a new dimension to the offense. An elite talent.
4. Oliva - He has an amazing skill set and runs with speed and power. He could be 1st team all-conference.
3. Lenzy - I concur that he has the "it factor". He can do it all.
2. Mellott - I think he stays at QB and wins the job earlier than expected. I'm amazed at how intelligent he plays. Kids who can throw to the sideline/back of the end zone with precision are rare. His highlight reel shows a ton of vision and an accurate arm on throws up to 35 yards downfield.
1. Reed - I think he has the ceiling of a 1st team All-American OG for two years. He is a road grader. Dear goodness.

BTW...Rening is my sleeper. He seems to find open space where others can't.
I agree with a lot of what you said, but Brown is already more than a 3rd down threat.

For one, you don't just pass on 3rd down anymore. He's also not just a deep threat. He feasted on quick screens and comebacks as well. Db's had to play him in off, and he killed teams on comebacks. I would agree he has to become a better route runner, but he's not bad there. My last point is that even if he isn't a good blocker, (I have no idea how he is in that regard) he has a positive impact on the running game. Why? He basically forces a safety to be deep because of his speed. Teams don't want to give up the deep ball. Defenses can't play the run game like they used to against us if we have a speed threat like him, and a QB who can get the ball to him. That's why I'm convinced running teams need a vertical threat. Recent examples are Hollywood Brown and Ted Finn Jr.
Also, I think Brown has a good chance of being our main Kick and Punt returner.



coochorama42
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Re: Top/Favorite Recruits?

Post by coochorama42 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:41 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:18 am

I agree with a lot of what you said, but Brown is already more than a 3rd down threat.

For one, you don't just pass on 3rd down anymore. He's also not just a deep threat. He feasted on quick screens and comebacks as well. Db's had to play him in off, and he killed teams on comebacks. I would agree he has to become a better route runner, but he's not bad there. My last point is that even if he isn't a good blocker, (I have no idea how he is in that regard) he has a positive impact on the running game. Why? He basically forces a safety to be deep because of his speed. Teams don't want to give up the deep ball. Defenses can't play the run game like they used to against us if we have a speed threat like him, and a QB who can get the ball to him. That's why I'm convinced running teams need a vertical threat. Recent examples are Hollywood Brown and Ted Finn Jr.
I should have been more careful about what I said about Brown. I love his skill set, but am curious as to how he will fit in an offense that has traditionally required their WR to be really good pass blockers. From what I understand, Brown is a bright young man who is a hard worker, so I shouldn't doubt his capacity to become a really good run blocker, but his size is potentially a limitation on that front. You make a fantastic point (one that I knew but didn't express) about stretching the defense/drawing safety help and opening up the run game. I can see him doing a little bit of everything from the moment he steps on campus. He'll obviously be fantastic on jet sweeps, short screens, and crossing patterns. The major reason I had him at #9 is that I believe in the skill set of all 10 of those guys (+more) that I listed.

I thought a lot about what order I put these guys in and really wanted to show that I was particularly high on Elliot and Mellott relative to others making their lists. In fact, Mellott was going to be my #1 until I watched Reed absolutely annihilate everyone. I cannot believe how many people he put on their back - over and over again. He is smart about it as well. I loved how he pushed speed rushers out of the play. There's nothing quite like guiding your guy 5 yards behind the quarterback and then pancaking him when he tries to get back into the plays.

Another highlight I saw was a long edge rusher try to jump up to block a QB pass and Reed just got underneath his pads and tossed him backward. You can see the progress from last year to this year as well. In his senior season, he was using leverage to toss one guy aside on a run block and then used his momentum to launch into the second guy - eventually driving him into the ground. If this guy doesn't get a "pancake" nickname, I'm not sure anyone ever will.



hpo5rules
New Recruit
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Top/Favorite Recruits?

Post by hpo5rules » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:23 am

Olivo played for Central Catholic in the Valley Oak League in Central Cali which is a crazy tough league. The three perennial powerhouses Central Catholic, Manteca and Oakdale make the CIF Championships almost yearly in their respective Divisions (bases on school enrollment) so this kid is has played some amazing football.

I talked with my buddy that is a head coach in the league and he told me Olivo is a total dude saying his only down side is he was hurt often. Can't wait to watch this guy run the ball.



Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Top/Favorite Recruits?

Post by Cataholic » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:30 am

Hero Sports just release their national rankings. They have 7 of our incoming freshman ranked in the top 300 national signings! Griz have 1.

These rankings are all subjective and based on number of offers, but they never included Mellot, Olivio or Brown in the top 300.

https://m.herosports.com/fcs/football-2 ... kings-ajaj



Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:46 pm
Location: Great Falls MT

Re: Top/Favorite Recruits?

Post by Mtcatfan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:06 am

It's Olivo right? I've seen it Oliva, Olivia and Olivio. He'll be our new Andersen.



bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3655
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Top/Favorite Recruits?

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:22 am

Mtcatfan wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:06 am
It's Olivo right? I've seen it Oliva, Olivia and Olivio. He'll be our new Andersen.
Minaya Olivo.



bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3655
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Top/Favorite Recruits?

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:24 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:30 am
Hero Sports just release their national rankings. They have 7 of our incoming freshman ranked in the top 300 national signings! Griz have 1.

These rankings are all subjective and based on number of offers, but they never included Mellot, Olivio or Brown in the top 300.

https://m.herosports.com/fcs/football-2 ... kings-ajaj
I know it's practically impossible to watch all of the tape and rank it, but I wish they would use a little common sense.

I mean, no QB is going to Idaho over Louisville. Ain't happening. Or a kid with P5 offers and he's going to Nicholls?! C'mon. It belies logic.

It's just hard for me to take the rankings seriously. With that said, it's practically an impossible task to rank them, so oh well.



User avatar
HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6569
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Helena, Montana

Re: Top/Favorite Recruits?

Post by HelenaCat95 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:35 am

This is a VERY good class. I wish we had gotten 1 more interior DL....but those guys are hard to find.
My top 3 (in no order)
- Renning
- Reimer
- Mellot



bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3655
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Top/Favorite Recruits?

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:48 am

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:35 am
This is a VERY good class. I wish we had gotten 1 more interior DL....but those guys are hard to find.
My top 3 (in no order)
- Renning
- Reimer
- Mellot
We will be getting a transfer for the interior.

Right now we have:

- Benson
- possibly Regimbal
- Deines
- Schmidt
- possibly Rollins
- Rygg
- Areta

The numbers aren't bad. Transfer or two would help.



User avatar
HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6569
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Helena, Montana

Re: Top/Favorite Recruits?

Post by HelenaCat95 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:58 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:48 am
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:35 am
This is a VERY good class. I wish we had gotten 1 more interior DL....but those guys are hard to find.
My top 3 (in no order)
- Renning
- Reimer
- Mellot
We will be getting a transfer for the interior.

Right now we have:

- Benson
- possibly Regimbal
- Deines
- Schmidt
- possibly Rollins
- Rygg
- Areta

The numbers aren't bad. Transfer or two would help.
That's good to hear on the transfer.
I'm not as concerned about immediate help, I'd like to see one more incoming frosh for development.



Post Reply