Off season random *^%$

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

BleedingBLue
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3021
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:30 am

I've read several articles from this guy, and he has some pretty good info. It sounds like SUU to the WAC is all but done. And it also sounds like the Southland may see up to 4 teams depart for the WAC as well.

https://extrapoints.substack.com/p/conf ... pdates-wac



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14447
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:00 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:30 am
I've read several articles from this guy, and he has some pretty good info. It sounds like SUU to the WAC is all but done. And it also sounds like the Southland may see up to 4 teams depart for the WAC as well.

https://extrapoints.substack.com/p/conf ... pdates-wac
Hopefully a few more Big Sky teams go to the WAC. Be nice to get back down to nine teams. Too much of an imbalanced schedule currently.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

User avatar
catatac
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6327
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by catatac » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:57 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:00 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:30 am
I've read several articles from this guy, and he has some pretty good info. It sounds like SUU to the WAC is all but done. And it also sounds like the Southland may see up to 4 teams depart for the WAC as well.

https://extrapoints.substack.com/p/conf ... pdates-wac
Hopefully a few more Big Sky teams go to the WAC. Be nice to get back down to nine teams. Too much of an imbalanced schedule currently.
As long as one of them isn't MSU :shock:


Great time to be a BOBCAT!

User avatar
grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Billings via Livingston
Contact:

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:22 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:00 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:30 am
I've read several articles from this guy, and he has some pretty good info. It sounds like SUU to the WAC is all but done. And it also sounds like the Southland may see up to 4 teams depart for the WAC as well.

https://extrapoints.substack.com/p/conf ... pdates-wac
Hopefully a few more Big Sky teams go to the WAC. Be nice to get back down to nine teams. Too much of an imbalanced schedule currently.
Agreed. Would also be excellent to have more western teams to play ooc.


Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Retard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

User avatar
Hawks86
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9459
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: MT

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:51 pm

Jay Hill will probably be a top candidate.



"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

User avatar
Hawks86
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9459
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: MT

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:19 pm


Two sitting head coaches who may merit a close look are Weber State’s Jay Hill, a Utah native and longtime Utah Utes assistant who has taken the Wildcats from 2-10 in his debut season to 32-9 the past four years. The other is Montana State’s Jeff Choate, who knows the Utah State program well from his time as an assistant in Logan. Choate, a Chris Petersen protégé, has taken the Bobcats from four wins to five to eight wins to 11 last year.


"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

User avatar
Montanabob
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1499
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by Montanabob » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:58 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:19 pm

Two sitting head coaches who may merit a close look are Weber State’s Jay Hill, a Utah native and longtime Utah Utes assistant who has taken the Wildcats from 2-10 in his debut season to 32-9 the past four years. The other is Montana State’s Jeff Choate, who knows the Utah State program well from his time as an assistant in Logan. Choate, a Chris Petersen protégé, has taken the Bobcats from four wins to five to eight wins to 11 last year.
I think Choate stays, at least two more years.


MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Long Time Cat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:40 am
Location: North Idaho

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:43 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:58 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:19 pm

Two sitting head coaches who may merit a close look are Weber State’s Jay Hill, a Utah native and longtime Utah Utes assistant who has taken the Wildcats from 2-10 in his debut season to 32-9 the past four years. The other is Montana State’s Jeff Choate, who knows the Utah State program well from his time as an assistant in Logan. Choate, a Chris Petersen protégé, has taken the Bobcats from four wins to five to eight wins to 11 last year.
I think Choate stays, at least two more years.
I hope you’re right.


"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

PHAT CAT
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:04 pm

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by PHAT CAT » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:16 am

No way coach goes to Utah State. Logan, UT is a dump. Much like the dump in Logan, MT.



User avatar
coloradocat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 732
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by coloradocat » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:16 am

Montanabob wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:58 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:19 pm

Two sitting head coaches who may merit a close look are Weber State’s Jay Hill, a Utah native and longtime Utah Utes assistant who has taken the Wildcats from 2-10 in his debut season to 32-9 the past four years. The other is Montana State’s Jeff Choate, who knows the Utah State program well from his time as an assistant in Logan. Choate, a Chris Petersen protégé, has taken the Bobcats from four wins to five to eight wins to 11 last year.
I think Choate stays, at least two more years.
Yeah, I kind of doubt he'd leave to go to a school with nothing to play for besides a random December bowl game. Feldman is Choate's national mouthpiece so maybe he's just getting his name out there for exposure.


Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfcr-MPCJKc

User avatar
Montanabob
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1499
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by Montanabob » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:50 am

coloradocat wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:16 am
Montanabob wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:58 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:19 pm

Two sitting head coaches who may merit a close look are Weber State’s Jay Hill, a Utah native and longtime Utah Utes assistant who has taken the Wildcats from 2-10 in his debut season to 32-9 the past four years. The other is Montana State’s Jeff Choate, who knows the Utah State program well from his time as an assistant in Logan. Choate, a Chris Petersen protégé, has taken the Bobcats from four wins to five to eight wins to 11 last year.
I think Choate stays, at least two more years.
Yeah, I kind of doubt he'd leave to go to a school with nothing to play for besides a random December bowl game. Feldman is Choate's national mouthpiece so maybe he's just getting his name out there for exposure.
Besides he wants two more wins against the grizzlies in 21


MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

User avatar
Bobcatsinmso
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 723
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:43 pm
Location: Missoula MT, Bozeman MT

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:44 am

Rumors, basically BS. Coach is not going anywhere, and he wont even consider going elsewhere until after his son Jory graduates.


Go Cats Go! FTG www.eatsh!tgrizzlies.com
missoula....still just 20 minutes from Montana.

User avatar
The Butcher
Member # Retired
Posts: 2324
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by The Butcher » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:37 am

Andersen’s salary was about $900,000. I think Choate would take a serious look at the position if there was interest from Utah State.



User avatar
Bobcatsinmso
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 723
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:43 pm
Location: Missoula MT, Bozeman MT

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:40 am

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:37 am
Andersen’s salary was about $900,000. I think Choate would take a serious look at the position if there was interest from Utah State.
Choate has already made millions in coaching, this will not be a choice about taking a higher paying job. It is about not changing horses in mid river, he has a job to finish, which is winning the Big sky and a national championship for Montana State university. It is also about his family, a son who he gets to coach and his wife an daughters who absolutely LOVE BOZEMAN MT. No chance he leaves for Utah State right now. [-X


Go Cats Go! FTG www.eatsh!tgrizzlies.com
missoula....still just 20 minutes from Montana.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5824
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:56 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:40 am
The Butcher wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:37 am
Andersen’s salary was about $900,000. I think Choate would take a serious look at the position if there was interest from Utah State.
Choate has already made millions in coaching, this will not be a choice about taking a higher paying job. It is about not changing horses in mid river, he has a job to finish, which is winning the Big sky and a national championship for Montana State university. It is also about his family, a son who he gets to coach and his wife an daughters who absolutely LOVE BOZEMAN MT. No chance he leaves for Utah State right now. [-X
I like the sentiment, but Choate could very easily move to Logan, Utah and take his wife and children with him. Will they miss Bozeman? Yes, absolutely. Can his son play ball at Utah State? Yes, absolutely. The salary is triple what he's making and I'm sure the perks are better, too. Hopefully they find someone they THINK is better. My guess is they think Jay Hill is better.



User avatar
The Butcher
Member # Retired
Posts: 2324
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by The Butcher » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:26 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:56 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:40 am
The Butcher wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:37 am
Andersen’s salary was about $900,000. I think Choate would take a serious look at the position if there was interest from Utah State.
Choate has already made millions in coaching, this will not be a choice about taking a higher paying job. It is about not changing horses in mid river, he has a job to finish, which is winning the Big sky and a national championship for Montana State university. It is also about his family, a son who he gets to coach and his wife an daughters who absolutely LOVE BOZEMAN MT. No chance he leaves for Utah State right now. [-X
I like the sentiment, but Choate could very easily move to Logan, Utah and take his wife and children with him. Will they miss Bozeman? Yes, absolutely. Can his son play ball at Utah State? Yes, absolutely. The salary is triple what he's making and I'm sure the perks are better, too. Hopefully they find someone they THINK is better. My guess is they think Jay Hill is better.
Jay Hill has arguably done more than Choate at Weber (I think Choate is better). Hill also knows Utah and how to recruit successfully. If Utah State went the FCS route, Hill would be a solid candidate.



User avatar
Hawks86
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9459
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: MT

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:47 am

I'd actually be surprised if he didn't take the job if he was offered. I just don't think with the names being mentioned that he is offered the job.


"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

AFCAT
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3301
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by AFCAT » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:27 pm

I think head coaching jobs at that FBS level and the FCS level are very different. Choate is a teacher at heart and he loves engaging with his players, something he wouldn't be able to do as much at that level of the FBS. I think Choate has found his perfect job and isn't leaving anytime soon.


Help the Cats! Join the quarterback club!!
https://www.bobcatquarterbackclub.com
Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
406-994-2092

superbobcat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:14 am

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by superbobcat » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:44 pm

Hill yes Choate no. I would be truly shocked to see him leave right now. Is it going to happen, sure down the road, but he has an opportunity to really cement a higher profile job, but I think developing a consistent contender at MSU will require a couple of more years. I think family happiness is a huge deal for Coach Choate and letting his daughter finish high school in MT and son get through college is a major consideration.

I know nothing about Hill's family structure, but this seems like a great step for him. He is a very solid coach, been at Weber long enough to know what you are getting, and I think the type who can go to a middle of the road program and make them competitive.



bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3840
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:23 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:27 pm
I think head coaching jobs at that FBS level and the FCS level are very different. Choate is a teacher at heart and he loves engaging with his players, something he wouldn't be able to do as much at that level of the FBS. I think Choate has found his perfect job and isn't leaving anytime soon.
Why couldn’t he engage and teach the players as much at the FBS level as this level?



Post Reply