Off season random *^%$

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by Bozcat003 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:22 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:17 pm
The Boise State job is one that should scare us. It's a solid job. Jeff has coached there and I would think he would take it in a heart beat. I have a bad feeling, we're going to lose him. Damn.
Sounds like Boise will look at him, but many think Oregon’s current Defensive Coordinator is the top guy. Hope so.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:29 pm

Where does Matt Miller end up? If he goes to Auburn, talk about jumping the ranks quick.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:11 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:22 pm
PHAT CAT wrote:
The Boise State job is one that should scare us. It's a solid job. Jeff has coached there and I would think he would take it in a heart beat. I have a bad feeling, we're going to lose him. Damn.
Sounds like Boise will look at him, but many think Oregon’s current Defensive Coordinator is the top guy. Hope so.
I hope they go after a power 5 coordinator

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:57 am

catgrad05 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:11 pm
Bozcat003 wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... yan-harsin

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:41 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:46 pm
We need @BozoneCat to do some on the ground reporting. Haha
I think BSU thinks too highly of themselves to hire a Big Sky coach. I hope. I think Avalos would be the "right" hire, he’s a really good coach and will fit the profile of a P5 coach that I think BSU fans/admin will seek. Depends on who's doing the hiring. No A.D. here right now.

As an aside, I am flummoxed as to why on earth Auburn would hire Harsin. He's pure garbage. I can't stand him, I am rejoicing that he's gone.

GO CATS GO!!!

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:59 am

Go to the Idaho Statesman facebook page. A lot of former players are pushing for Jeff to be hired.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:30 am

PHAT CAT wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:59 am
Go to the Idaho Statesman facebook page. A lot of former players are pushing for Jeff to be hired.
It'll take more than that. It's very flattering for Choate, and by extension the MSU program, but if the money people and administrators want someone else, the Idaho Statesman Facebook page means little. I have a hard time seeing the big wheels getting terribly persuaded by the Idaho Statesman Facebook page. They'll be hard to convince, because while Choate has done well he still hasn't won a league title and his best league mark is only 6-2. Yes, they look at more than that, but these big wheels look down the road and if Choate doesn't pan out, then they get sent packing with him because everyone will bring up the fact that "you brought in a FCS coach that hadn't even won his conference to coach a perennial top 25 team that win's its conference regularly? Good riddance!!" It's a huge risk.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:30 am

rivercat wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:57 am
catgrad05 wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
Lucky for us Choate has the worst resume on the candidates on this list.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:39 am

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:30 am
rivercat wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
But his record probably has the steepest slope trending up.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:57 am

That is similar to being the fastest growing whatever. If you start low enough it's an easy mark.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:04 am

I'm not going to be worried until he gets an interview. On paper, he might not be right for Boise State. Get him in a room with who's hiring and he can sway some opinions.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:17 am

rivercat wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:39 am
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:30 am
rivercat wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
But his record probably has the steepest slope trending up.
They want a power 5 candidate for coach. They wanna be a power 5.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:04 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:41 am
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:46 pm
We need @BozoneCat to do some on the ground reporting. Haha
I think BSU thinks too highly of themselves to hire a Big Sky coach. I hope. I think Avalos would be the "right" hire, he’s a really good coach and will fit the profile of a P5 coach that I think BSU fans/admin will seek. Depends on who's doing the hiring. No A.D. here right now.

As an aside, I am flummoxed as to why on earth Auburn would hire Harsin. He's pure garbage. I can't stand him, I am rejoicing that he's gone.
Dunno that he's pure garbage, but I agree, I was totally shocked to see Auburn hiring a MWC coach. His teams have not been as good or as consistent as the BSU teams under Chris Petersen. UW's hiring of Petersen back in the day made total sense (familiarity with the recruiting area being likely the biggest reason), and it worked out well for both sides. This move by Auburn feels like them grasping at straws... I give him 2 years at most, don't want to wish ill will on the guy, really hope he proves me wrong.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:12 pm

I would imagine Avalos is the front runner, but I don’t think Choate would be far behind him.

Chris Peterson really liked Choate, he has HC experience, he’s a good recruiter, and Boise is his area. There’s a lot of positives there for Boise in regards to Choate.

If they offered Choate the job, he would take it and would be dumb not to. I selfishly hope they don’t offer it to him.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:14 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:30 am
PHAT CAT wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:59 am
It'll take more than that. It's very flattering for Choate, and by extension the MSU program, but if the money people and administrators want someone else, the Idaho Statesman Facebook page means little. I have a hard time seeing the big wheels getting terribly persuaded by the Idaho Statesman Facebook page. They'll be hard to convince, because while Choate has done well he still hasn't won a league title and his best league mark is only 6-2. Yes, they look at more than that, but these big wheels look down the road and if Choate doesn't pan out, then they get sent packing with him because everyone will bring up the fact that "you brought in a FCS coach that hadn't even won his conference to coach a perennial top 25 team that win's its conference regularly? Good riddance!!" It's a huge risk.
Will they care about what’s on a FACEBOOK page? No. They are going to care what former players have to say.

Choate is absolutely a contender for the job, and his resume is a big part of it. He has strong ties to that area recruiting wise, and he immensely improved MSU upon arriving here. The people involved in football know it too.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:15 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:04 am
I'm not going to be worried until he gets an interview. On paper, he might not be right for Boise State. Get him in a room with who's hiring and he can sway some opinions.
He fits strongly on paper for the hire. That’s the scary part.

Lennay Kekua
New Recruit

Post by Lennay Kekua » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:47 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:04 am

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:31 pm

I just read the article by Bill Speltz about the Choate-Hauck rivalry. I wish there was a puke emoji on here. I can't even comprehend some of the stupidity in his article.

"Bill Speltz: With Jeff Choate staying, Bobby Hauck has his big chance | UM Grizzlies | 406mtsports.com" https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 4.amp.html

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:45 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:31 pm
I just read the article by Bill Speltz about the Choate-Hauck rivalry. I wish there was a puke emoji on here. I can't even comprehend some of the stupidity in his article.

"Bill Speltz: With Jeff Choate staying, Bobby Hauck has his big chance | UM Grizzlies | 406mtsports.com" https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 4.amp.html
Back in 2018, in Hauck's first season in his second stint with the Grizzlies, Choate was fortunate to escape Missoula with a win. Cat fans remember the drama of the closing seconds as the Timeout (Choate's) Heard 'Round The World followed by a crushing fumble by Montana.

Phooey. More like the Do-Over Heard 'Round The World after UM scored what should have been the game-winning touchdown. There's not supposed to be do-overs in sports, folks. Not after your 10th birthday anyway.
A timeout was called...and the play was blown dead before the snap. This isn't hard.
Hauck needed a couple years to get his horses in place. I'm not talking quarter horses like the ones that played wide receiver and recently left the Grizzlies for greener pastures on the FBS level. I'm talking Clydesdales — the kind Hauck made a recruiting priority back in his first stint with Montana, helping him create an FCS dynasty.
Don't you need to win multiple championships to become a dynasty? Robert Hauck has...wait for it...not won a FCS championship as a head coach. Again...this isn't hard.
Neither Hauck nor Choate are above winning with the forward pass, mind you, but both enjoy punching you in the mouth with their run games. Choate had his ground attack in place the two times he beat Bobby. Now I'm quite certain Bobby has his in place.
One team runs the ball and the other tries to run the ball. End of story.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:22 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:45 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:31 pm

Back in 2018, in Hauck's first season in his second stint with the Grizzlies, Choate was fortunate to escape Missoula with a win. Cat fans remember the drama of the closing seconds as the Timeout (Choate's) Heard 'Round The World followed by a crushing fumble by Montana.

Phooey. More like the Do-Over Heard 'Round The World after UM scored what should have been the game-winning touchdown. There's not supposed to be do-overs in sports, folks. Not after your 10th birthday anyway.
A timeout was called...and the play was blown dead before the snap. This isn't hard.
Hauck needed a couple years to get his horses in place. I'm not talking quarter horses like the ones that played wide receiver and recently left the Grizzlies for greener pastures on the FBS level. I'm talking Clydesdales — the kind Hauck made a recruiting priority back in his first stint with Montana, helping him create an FCS dynasty.
Don't you need to win multiple championships to become a dynasty? Robert Hauck has...wait for it...not won a FCS championship as a head coach. Again...this isn't hard.
Neither Hauck nor Choate are above winning with the forward pass, mind you, but both enjoy punching you in the mouth with their run games. Choate had his ground attack in place the two times he beat Bobby. Now I'm quite certain Bobby has his in place.
One team runs the ball and the other tries to run the ball. End of story.
:lol: :lol:

One team has established a dominant offensive line. The other gets pushed around when they play their rival.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?