Off season random *^%$

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:00 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:28 pm
Anyone know how many super bowl rings former Bobcats have vs super bowl rings former Griz have? That'd be interesting to see IMO. Did Stenerud win a SB?

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:19 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:00 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:28 pm
Anyone know how many super bowl rings former Bobcats have vs super bowl rings former Griz have? That'd be interesting to see IMO. Did Stenerud win a SB?
Yep. Won SB IV. KC beat Vikings. Stenerud had 3 field goals in 23-7 victory. Rainy, wet conditions in old Tulane Stadium…if you have ever been there.

Chiefs had 9 HOF players on that team….it was back in the Stram era….Culp, Buchanan, Thomas, Bell, Dawson heyday.

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:31 am

It’ll be interesting to see the trickle down effect this might have. Big 12 will either be looking for teams or those prominent teams will be headed elsewhere. Could eventually lead to some
FCS programs moving up to FBS.

Also, I’ll bet it was sold to Choate that he’d be coaching in the SEC since they’ve been having discussions about the move for 6 months. Sad part is that they’re gonna get steamrolled.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:11 am

ND0479 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:31 am

It’ll be interesting to see the trickle down effect this might have. Big 12 will either be looking for teams or those prominent teams will be headed elsewhere. Could eventually lead to some

Also, I’ll bet it was sold to Choate that he’d be coaching in the SEC since they’ve been having discussions about the move for 6 months. Sad part is that they’re gonna get steamrolled.
This will open the door for NDSU to join the Big 12, and I'll bet it happens. I think BYU and 2 others join the conference as well. Although the Big 12 is no longer going to be a power 5 after this.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:19 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:11 am
ND0479 wrote:

This will open the door for NDSU to join the Big 12, and I'll bet it happens. I think BYU and 2 others join the conference as well. Although the Big 12 is no longer going to be a power 5 after this.
They're going to have to find somebody to join. The Big 12 will be down to 8 teams. Meanwhile the Big 10 has 14 teams. It would be nice if the Big 12 could poach Iowa and Nebraska. BYU and NDSU as well would get them back to 12.

Even in a watered down conference that will still have tons of TV money it's hard to see NDSU jumping all the way up to the Big 12.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:22 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
ND0479 wrote:

It is hard to envision any school with an 18,000 seat stadium playing in the Big 12. They have established themselves as capable on the field, but hard to imagine their financial drawbacks will get them in the Big 12. I did see that PAC 12 is entertaining any new teams as well. I think BYU is a better fit in PAC 12 with the Utah rivalry but their independent TV deal is very lucrative. Going to be interesting.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:56 am

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:22 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
ND0479 wrote:

It is hard to envision any school with an 18,000 seat stadium playing in the Big 12. They have established themselves as capable on the field, but hard to imagine their financial drawbacks will get them in the Big 12. I did see that PAC 12 is entertaining any new teams as well. I think BYU is a better fit in PAC 12 with the Utah rivalry but their independent TV deal is very lucrative. Going to be interesting.
BYU and Notre Dame needs to remain independent for football and in the WCC and ACC for all the nonrevenue sports. Boise State just spent boatload of money exploring moving from the Mountain West to the PAC 12 or American Conference. Funny how academics seem to enter the discussion whenever conference realignment enters the discussion.

Just because Disney owns ESPN and ABC doesn't necessarily mean a certain demographic is going to bully their way into other more lucrative conferences. Yes, Texas A & M would like to remain the only Texas school in the SEC, but the only reason they're in the SEC is because of how filthy rich they are. Texas will make a nice addition to the SEC.

Funny how a podunk small college chatroom is even talking about what the Power 5 schools are doing...

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:06 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:56 am
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
ND0479 wrote:

BYU and Notre Dame needs to remain independent for football and in the WCC and ACC for all the nonrevenue sports. Boise State just spent boatload of money exploring moving from the Mountain West to the PAC 12 or American Conference. Funny how academics seem to enter the discussion whenever conference realignment enters the discussion.

Just because Disney owns ESPN and ABC doesn't necessarily mean a certain demographic is going to bully their way into other more lucrative conferences. Yes, Texas A & M would like to remain the only Texas school in the SEC, but the only reason they're in the SEC is because of how filthy rich they are. Texas will make a nice addition to the SEC.

Funny how a podunk small college chatroom is even talking about what the Power 5 schools are doing...
It's been 580 days since our team played a game!! We've already solved every MSU and FCS problem and are moving up to the big time.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:15 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
ND0479 wrote:

Yea there is a ton of chatter about this amongst my FCS fan friends, and I'm sitting here like I really don't care whatsoever. I don't see any shakeup between P5 conferences and schools as having any impact on the Big Sky, it would take a ton of dominoes to fall and even then it wouldn't be right away. I'm going to continue to ignore what the FBS does like I always do.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:18 am

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:06 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
ND0479 wrote:

It's been 580 days since our team played a game!! We've already solved every MSU and FCS problem and are moving up to the big time.
Podunk? If Bobcat Nation lacks anything, it isn’t expert opinions on any subject known to man. :lol:

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:30 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:18 am
coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:06 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
ND0479 wrote:

Podunk? If Bobcat Nation lacks anything, it isn’t expert opinions on any subject known to man. :lol:

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:43 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:32 pm
Any improvement at QB from Rovig or McKay over 2019 play and this is a national title contender.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:35 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:43 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Any improvement at QB from Rovig or McKay over 2019 play and this is a national title contender.
Is there any question about our QB play being an improvement in 2021? Not in my mind. Rovig was not Tom Brady in 2019 but he played pretty damn well and helped lead that team to the semi finals. Very rarely do veteran QBs take a step back, especially with Vigen and the rest of the staff we have now. All that said, it was rumored that as good as he is, he was #3 on depth chart in the Spring. I think we'll be pretty damn good at QB in 2021.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:55 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:19 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
ND0479 wrote:

They're going to have to find somebody to join. The Big 12 will be down to 8 teams. Meanwhile the Big 10 has 14 teams. It would be nice if the Big 12 could poach Iowa and Nebraska. BYU and NDSU as well would get them back to 12.

Even in a watered down conference that will still have tons of TV money it's hard to see NDSU jumping all the way up to the Big 12.
Yeah, I think there'd be a handful of teams the Big 12 would take before NDSU - U of Hou, U of Lousiana, SMU, Memphis, etc.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:13 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:55 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:19 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
ND0479 wrote:

Yeah, I think there'd be a handful of teams the Big 12 would take before NDSU - U of Hou, U of Lousiana, SMU, Memphis, etc.
On one hand, as long as it took NDSU to move up to FCS from D2, makes me think they won't be going anywhere in the FBS soon. Which is too bad because I think they'd be a perennial top 25 team and become similar to Boise State virtually overnight.

On the other hand, there's a lot more incentive to move up to the FBS from FCS than there is to move from D2 to FCS, especially for a team like NDSU. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Big12 invited them. I'm not sure if NDSU has enough sports to do it, but they do have baseball, which tells me they must have a boatload of women's teams, so maybe they do.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:14 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:15 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
ND0479 wrote:

Yea there is a ton of chatter about this amongst my FCS fan friends, and I'm sitting here like I really don't care whatsoever. I don't see any shakeup between P5 conferences and schools as having any impact on the Big Sky, it would take a ton of dominoes to fall and even then it wouldn't be right away. I'm going to continue to ignore what the FBS does like I always do.
I know you're a few years younger than I am but I'm kind of excited to watch what happens to the MWC when OK and Texass leaves for the SEC. I know schools such as Rutgers will not want the big 10 to grab the Kansas schools, Oklahoma State and the other Iowa school, but I understand that's inevitable. What will that mean for the pac? They'll have to take San Diego State and one of the Nevada schools. Where will Wyoming and Colorado State wind up? The damn growth in Denver won't let the super egos in Boulder keep acting like a bunch of Ivy League prima donna's while they futily try to clean up Rock Flats. Fascinating to me.

Meanwhile, back in Boise...🤣 What conference is going to want that junior college academic wise?

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:03 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:35 pm
PapaG wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Is there any question about our QB play being an improvement in 2021? Not in my mind. Rovig was not Tom Brady in 2019 but he played pretty damn well and helped lead that team to the semi finals. Very rarely do veteran QBs take a step back, especially with Vigen and the rest of the staff we have now. All that said, it was rumored that as good as he is, he was #3 on depth chart in the Spring. I think we'll be pretty damn good at QB in 2021.
He’s the epitome of average.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:41 pm

Another interesting read from the TCU website about Texas moving to the SEC.

"Texas is the richest damn school in the country, and they want more."

https://www.frogsowar.com/2021/7/23/225 ... GLFcCYSKJY

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:15 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:35 pm
PapaG wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
McKay was named the starter after spring camp and it’s his job at this point. Should add a dynamic of mobility that Rovig lacks.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:18 pm