Cost Of Attendance proposal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Post Reply
AFCAT
Member # Retired
Posts: 2775
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Cost Of Attendance proposal

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:35 pm

Last edited by AFCAT on Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
Phone - 406-994-2092
Mail - P.O. Box 172750, Bozeman, MT 59717

BleedingBLue
Member # Retired
Posts: 2872
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Re: Cost Of Attendance

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:38 pm

Hell yeah!



User avatar
catsrback76
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7511
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:18 am
Location: 2300 meters up in Ethiopia!

Re: Cost Of Attendance proposal

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:52 pm

How would it be funded? Any discussion on where the funds get generated? Costello must be confident the Cats to do it because he wouldn't be talking about "next Fall" unless he was close.



User avatar
Caboose
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:06 pm

Re: Cost Of Attendance proposal

Post by Caboose » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:08 pm




AFCAT
Member # Retired
Posts: 2775
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Cost Of Attendance proposal

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:11 pm

I don’t know why UM wouldn’t be able to match.


Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
Phone - 406-994-2092
Mail - P.O. Box 172750, Bozeman, MT 59717

User avatar
luckyirishguy25
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3687
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:59 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Cost Of Attendance proposal

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:24 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:35 pm
I like the attitude, not complacent with were we are, shooting for the top!



User avatar
kennethnoisewater
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1907
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Bigfork, MT

Re: Cost Of Attendance proposal

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:27 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:11 pm
I don’t know why UM wouldn’t be able to match.
Why do you say that? Because the BOR would require it for both schools? If not, seems like a stretch for a cash-strapped university, especially when you have to offer it for all sports.


Image

thefrank1
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 696
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Cost Of Attendance proposal

Post by thefrank1 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:28 pm

I really like this move. It represents risk but will pay big dividends. We need this to take the next step. I'll gladly pay my share.


While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9795
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Cost Of Attendance proposal

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:38 pm

WOW!! It’s almost like Choate was trying to send a message to fans, boosters and administration with his comments before the NDSU game. I’m shocked, I tell ya, shocked. ;)



AFCAT
Member # Retired
Posts: 2775
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Cost Of Attendance proposal

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:38 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:27 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:11 pm
I don’t know why UM wouldn’t be able to match.
Why do you say that? Because the BOR would require it for both schools? If not, seems like a stretch for a cash-strapped university, especially when you have to offer it for all sports.
Because the MSU athletic department would have to fund raise for it. The UM athletic department does a good job of fund raising, in fact they are better at raising scholarship money than MSU is. They also have a billionaire benefactor that likes to put his name on stuff.


Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
Phone - 406-994-2092
Mail - P.O. Box 172750, Bozeman, MT 59717

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6579
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:05 am

Re: Cost Of Attendance proposal

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:41 pm

It's about time!



User avatar
kennethnoisewater
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1907
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Bigfork, MT

Re: Cost Of Attendance proposal

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:18 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:38 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:27 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:11 pm
I don’t know why UM wouldn’t be able to match.
Why do you say that? Because the BOR would require it for both schools? If not, seems like a stretch for a cash-strapped university, especially when you have to offer it for all sports.
Because the MSU athletic department would have to fund raise for it. The UM athletic department does a good job of fund raising, in fact they are better at raising scholarship money than MSU is. They also have a billionaire benefactor that likes to put his name on stuff.
Yeah that's fair. Would they have the interest in, say soccer, softball, track? I'm not sure MSU would either, just curious how it would work.

Have we determined how many total scholarships that is across all sports for both men and women? 200? 250? Gotta be close to a million bucks a year.


Image

bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3695
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Cost Of Attendance proposal

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:30 pm

I'm shocked. Didn't really think it would happen here for another decade or so.

This would be a huge, huge, recruiting advantage. Love it.



91catAlum
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6870
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Clancy, MT

Re: Cost Of Attendance proposal

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:17 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:18 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:38 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:27 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:11 pm
I don’t know why UM wouldn’t be able to match.
Why do you say that? Because the BOR would require it for both schools? If not, seems like a stretch for a cash-strapped university, especially when you have to offer it for all sports.
Because the MSU athletic department would have to fund raise for it. The UM athletic department does a good job of fund raising, in fact they are better at raising scholarship money than MSU is. They also have a billionaire benefactor that likes to put his name on stuff.
Yeah that's fair. Would they have the interest in, say soccer, softball, track? I'm not sure MSU would either, just curious how it would work.

Have we determined how many total scholarships that is across all sports for both men and women? 200? 250? Gotta be close to a million bucks a year.
I believe it's close to 400 scholarshipped athletes. At $3000 apiece, we're looking at $1.2 million annually.


Image
24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9795
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Cost Of Attendance proposal

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:19 pm

If MSU was funded by the state at the same level that UM is, we could do FCOA x10



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4246
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Cost Of Attendance proposal

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:41 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:38 pm
WOW!! It’s almost like Choate was trying to send a message to fans, boosters and administration with his comments before the NDSU game. I’m shocked, I tell ya, shocked. ;)
Me too! He rarely speaks with purpose whatsoever! I was told by several North Dakota fans that his comments had nothing to do with wanting MSU to step up, and EVERYTHING to do with making excuses. It’s no wonder those North Dakota fans, coaches and players were so worked up! Hopefully they’ll start having a little success and won’t worry so much about what Choate says.



User avatar
BozoneCat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2892
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:15 pm
Location: Boise, ID

Re: Cost Of Attendance proposal

Post by BozoneCat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:02 am

Choate is just awesomeness personified. This is great!!!


GO CATS GO!!!

Image

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6870
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Clancy, MT

Re: Cost Of Attendance proposal

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:43 am

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:17 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:18 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:38 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:27 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:11 pm
I don’t know why UM wouldn’t be able to match.
Why do you say that? Because the BOR would require it for both schools? If not, seems like a stretch for a cash-strapped university, especially when you have to offer it for all sports.
Because the MSU athletic department would have to fund raise for it. The UM athletic department does a good job of fund raising, in fact they are better at raising scholarship money than MSU is. They also have a billionaire benefactor that likes to put his name on stuff.
Yeah that's fair. Would they have the interest in, say soccer, softball, track? I'm not sure MSU would either, just curious how it would work.

Have we determined how many total scholarships that is across all sports for both men and women? 200? 250? Gotta be close to a million bucks a year.
I believe it's close to 400 scholarshipped athletes. At $3000 apiece, we're looking at $1.2 million annually.
BUT it sounds like they'll start smaller than $3000 per student and just do what they have money for each year. That's probably why they're calling it COA instead of FCOA.


Image
24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

User avatar
GoCats18
Member # Retired
Posts: 2486
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:06 pm
Location: MT

Re: Cost Of Attendance proposal

Post by GoCats18 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:46 am

UM is currently working on setting up a Gofundme for this. They are worried about us doing it and then not being able to. Also, they are cutting music education and dance therapy so I could see at least 12 players leaving their team.


Punters are people too!!

oedipuss
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:05 pm

Re: Cost Of Attendance proposal

Post by oedipuss » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:58 am

A few things:

1). The COA stipends have to be paid proportionate to total scholarships - you can't just hand out the same amount of money to all student-athletes. MSU offers around 220 Full Athletic scholarships for the NCAA varsity sports

2). In 2017, MSU paid 72% of the Full Cost of Attendance in its scholarship package (according to the formula for determining what is Full Cost). Meaning the total stipend it could pay at that time was about $4000 per scholarship - putting total stipend cost ~$900,000.

3). One of the reasons this next year is probably a great year to role this out is probably due to the lack of expenses for football travel in the athletic department. The football team doesn't leave the Northwest - the longest trip of the year is to Portland. That GREATLY reduces overall athletic expenditures and will provide a significant amount of revenue that could potentially play into the ever shifting balance sheet of a D-1 athletic dept.

4). You want to make this thing happen the least "painful" way possible? James Madison grossed $250,000 on beer sales just at football games last year (their first year of selling beer at games). Come up with a reasonable policy that brings beer sales to Bobcat stadium, Shroyer, and the Brick and you probably make a significant dent in FCOA.



Post Reply