NEW OC NAMES?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Re: NEW OC NAMES?

Post by Bozcat003 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:03 am

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:48 am
BDizzle wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:45 am
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:25 am
BDizzle wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:03 am
I don’t see it mentioned anywhere but Jimmy Beal is your new RBs coach. Played at MSU back in the day. Then was RBs coach at NAU and most recently at SDSU. One of the brightest minds in the game. Cats are lucky to have him back as a coach.
Wow. That’s a big pickup. He was at SDSU this past season, right?
My message literally says he was at SDSU. Haha
Being an MSU grad, I only read the first sentence. Haha.

I assume he’ll be picking up a coordinator position as well. I’d guess either special teams or recruiting coordinator.
Our Special Teams Coordinator position is taken with BJ Robertson, could see him take the recruiting coordinator spot though.

The offensive coordinator position intrigues me. Haven’t heard anything, and not sure I want Dennis Erickson. Maybe we convince McEndoo to take the pay cut and come back as OC / HC in waiting - him and his son a package deal :D :D

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:05 am

Bozcat003 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:03 am
wbtfg wrote:
BDizzle wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
BDizzle wrote:
I don’t see it mentioned anywhere but Jimmy Beal is your new RBs coach. Played at MSU back in the day. Then was RBs coach at NAU and most recently at SDSU. One of the brightest minds in the game. Cats are lucky to have him back as a coach.

I assume he’ll be picking up a coordinator position as well. I’d guess either special teams or recruiting coordinator.
Our Special Teams Coordinator position is taken with BJ Robertson, could see him take the recruiting coordinator spot though.

The offensive coordinator position intrigues me. Haven’t heard anything, and not sure I want Dennis Erickson. Maybe we convince McEndoo to take the pay cut and come back as OC / HC in waiting - him and his son a package deal :D :D
Why aren’t you sure you want Erickson?

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:18 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:05 am
Bozcat003 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
BDizzle wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
BDizzle wrote:

No real reason, I think he has a great football mind (I mean he’s proved that there is no question) and I think he’d do a good job. I just see him as more of a “band-aid” for a year or 2. I’d be more excited about a McEndoo or some guy we poach from a fellow FCS program.

Don’t get me wrong, if we ended up with him I’ll be happy and can’t wait to see what he continues to add to our program - especially the qb’s

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:39 am

Bozcat003 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:18 am
iaafan wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
BDizzle wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
BDizzle wrote:

No real reason, I think he has a great football mind (I mean he’s proved that there is no question) and I think he’d do a good job. I just see him as more of a “band-aid” for a year or 2. I’d be more excited about a McEndoo or some guy we poach from a fellow FCS program.

Don’t get me wrong, if we ended up with him I’ll be happy and can’t wait to see what he continues to add to our program - especially the qb’s
Considering almost all the OCs are gone in a year, I think he’s a great choice if you’re looking for someone to stick around.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:15 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:01 am
BDizzle wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
BDizzle wrote:
Reading is hard.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:23 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:39 am
Bozcat003 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:18 am
iaafan wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
BDizzle wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
BDizzle wrote:

Considering almost all the OCs are gone in a year, I think he’s a great choice if you’re looking for someone to stick around.

I’ve been wondering about this. Does anyone have a timeline on how long Choates OC’s have been in that position..........purely a guess but a year and a half (including playoff games) with Miller might be the longest tenure

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:31 pm

I’ve been wondering about this. Does anyone have a timeline on how long Choates OC’s have been in that position..........purely a guess but a year and a half (including playoff games) with Miller might be the longest tenure

Messingham - 1 season
Armstrong - 1 1/2 seasons (roughly)
Miller - 1 1/2 seasons (roughly)

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:01 pm

imacat wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:31 pm

Messingham - 1 season
Armstrong - 1 1/2 seasons (roughly)
Miller - 1 1/2 seasons (roughly)
Bob Cole as well

imacat

Post by imacat » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:41 pm

Bob Cole was QB coach and Passing Game Coordinator. Lasted 1/2 a season.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:43 pm

I haven't heard anything. But I'm getting pretty excited about this hire. I think it will be a good one.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:05 am

So are we going to have to wait until Wednesday to find out who the new OC is?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:55 am

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:05 am
I'm connecting the dots, I think it's Erickson. The fact that this is so quiet, Choate usually announces hires more quickly than this, and it's during a recruitment period so you'd think they'd want to have someone in place quickly for stability... I think maybe they hired Erickson pretty quickly without an interview process. Pure speculation.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:39 am

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:55 am
coloradocat wrote:
I'm connecting the dots, I think it's Erickson. The fact that this is so quiet, Choate usually announces hires more quickly than this, and it's during a recruitment period so you'd think they'd want to have someone in place quickly for stability... I think maybe they hired Erickson pretty quickly without an interview process. Pure speculation.
That's kinda where I'm at too. I'm guessing they have to post the position and maybe go through some formalities since Dennis isn't on the staff (or am I mistaken?) and it wouldn't be an internal hire, technically. I also agree that he's not a long term fix, but what good OC would be? Great OC's always seem to move up quickly at every level of football, so I'm sure two years would be about the best we could expect out of somebody. If they're really good it's probably one year. DE could be very good and wouldn't be quick to jump at jobs that presented themselves, because he's a known quantity, and he knows what's available out there and has chosen to stay in Bozeman.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:01 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:39 am
CelticCat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
That's kinda where I'm at too. I'm guessing they have to post the position and maybe go through some formalities since Dennis isn't on the staff (or am I mistaken?) and it wouldn't be an internal hire, technically. I also agree that he's not a long term fix, but what good OC would be? Great OC's always seem to move up quickly at every level of football, so I'm sure two years would be about the best we could expect out of somebody. If they're really good it's probably one year. DE could be very good and wouldn't be quick to jump at jobs that presented themselves, because he's a known quantity, and he knows what's available out there and has chosen to stay in Bozeman.
Would have been a shorter time line than RB's coach who is already hired.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:13 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:01 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
The Cats brought in potential OC hires for interviews after Miller announced his move. I think Choate is taking his time, but there will be an announcement by early next week, if not today. I know they said they would announce the hire within ten days and that was nine days ago.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:35 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:13 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:01 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
The Cats brought in potential OC hires for interviews after Miller announced his move. I think Choate is taking his time, but there will be an announcement by early next week, if not today. I know they said they would announce the hire within ten days and that was nine days ago.
I suspect Choate is being thorough in communicating exactly what he wants in an offense so that he spends the bare minimum amount of time overseeing that side of the ball. Though I can't read his mind, I believe he wants any potential OC to continue our ground game that we ran this year (including the +1), but also with big play air capability.

I don't see any problem with the process taking ten days, or even longer if it means getting the best person for the job.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

imacat

Post by imacat » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:41 pm

Take whatever amount of time it takes to get the right fit. No one is going to remember how long the hiring process took.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:46 pm

I don't buy the Erickson discussion. I just don't see that as a move that Coach Choate will make. I think he will bring in a young experienced OC.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:57 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:46 pm
I don't buy the Erickson discussion. I just don't see that as a move that Coach Choate will make. I think he will bring in a young experienced OC.
Agreed. While we all get excited about the idea of having such a famous coach on staff, I don't really see that as the direction Choate will go with it. But if John Stockton can end up as an assistant basketball coach for a year, then anything's possible!

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:03 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:57 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:46 pm
Agreed. While we all get excited about the idea of having such a famous coach on staff, I don't really see that as the direction Choate will go with it. But if John Stockton can end up as an assistant basketball coach for a year, then anything's possible!
While I agree with you on all this, Stockton was a special circumstance with his daughter on the team.