Garret Marino

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Garret Marino

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:02 pm

Garret Marino is a beast in the East -West Shrine game. He is playing for the East. Too bad we couldn’t get him squared away when he was here.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Re: Garret Marino

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:37 pm

I wonder if Choate would have been able to do any better than Ash was with him.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:33 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:37 pm
Ash did the right thing by showing him the door. Choate would have done the same. The best thing for Marino was to get kicked off a team, a gut check. Reading about him though sounds like he still has some issues lots of personal fouls, BS stuff after plays. Gotta weight the benefit vs the crap that comes along with it.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:46 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:37 pm
That kid was trouble walking. I'm glad he left Bozeman, don't care if he's talented.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:17 pm

How is he still playing football?

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:40 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:17 pm
He went to UAB, which delayed his eligibility. The guys who were "Fifth-year" seniors at UAB have all been in college for six or seven years. Everyone that committed to UAB right after they brought football back had their eligibility frozen. So he could work out and train but not have to play. I don't know if they practiced or not. But he basically got two extra years of eligibility.

Even when Marino first came to MSU, his weight lifting exploits were the stuff of legend, albeit many of his teammates were, uh, skeptical. He could bench press more than 400 pounds as a teenager.

I've seen some videos of him lifting over the last few years. It's frightening. He can rep 445 pounds on the bench with relative ease and has one-repped close to 500 pounds before. He is a freak in many ways but he also never would've had a chance in Bozeman under really any coach I don't think. One of those few people who always make you nervous when you are around them. A total loose cannon and you never knew when he was going to blow up.

Hell, even the upper classmen Bobcat d-linemen were even weary of Marino and those I promise you several of those dudes aren't worried about much of anybody.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:49 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:40 pm
Common Cat wrote:
He went to UAB, which delayed his eligibility. The guys who were "Fifth-year" seniors at UAB have all been in college for six or seven years. Everyone that committed to UAB right after they brought football back had their eligibility frozen. So he could work out and train but not have to play. I don't know if they practiced or not. But he basically got two extra years of eligibility.

Even when Marino first came to MSU, his weight lifting exploits were the stuff of legend, albeit many of his teammates were, uh, skeptical. He could bench press more than 400 pounds as a teenager.

I've seen some videos of him lifting over the last few years. It's frightening. He can rep 445 pounds on the bench with relative ease and has one-repped close to 500 pounds before. He is a freak in many ways but he also never would've had a chance in Bozeman under really any coach I don't think. One of those few people who always make you nervous when you are around them. A total loose cannon and you never knew when he was going to blow up.

Hell, even the upper classmen Bobcat d-linemen were even weary of Marino and those I promise you several of those dudes aren't worried about much of anybody.
You are right-on Colter. He was a walking time bomb with great talent. He probably would have made headlines in the Bozeman Chronicle but it would not have been football related!

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:05 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:

There's an obvious implication here. I don't think I need to spell it out.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:22 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:49 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Common Cat wrote:

You are right-on Colter. He was a walking time bomb with great talent. He probably would have made headlines in the Bozeman Chronicle but it would not have been football related!
He did make headlines after getting booted! https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bozema ... 2.amp.html

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:53 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Common Cat wrote:

I hope he doesn’t hurt anyone.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:54 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Common Cat wrote:

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:50 am

Being a football player in Missoula or Bozeman has to be very interesting. You are local celebrities, in the same way you would be at a big time program, because it's a small town and this is the highest level of football in the state. It's a lot harder to blend in, or cover things up, than say if you were at a program like UAB, a meddling program in a city of over 1 million people. I'm not accusing Marino of getting into trouble at UAB or anything, but I think you have to be a lot smarter as a player in Bozeman versus Birmingham.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:03 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:50 am
Being a football player in Missoula or Bozeman has to be very interesting. You are local celebrities, in the same way you would be at a big time program, because it's a small town and this is the highest level of football in the state. It's a lot harder to blend in, or cover things up, than say if you were at a program like UAB, a meddling program in a city of over 1 million people. I'm not accusing Marino of getting into trouble at UAB or anything, but I think you have to be a lot smarter as a player in Bozeman versus Birmingham.
Agreed, his after the play crap on the field will make or break his career in the NFL.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:47 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Common Cat wrote:

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:04 am

FTG247365 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:03 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:50 am

Agreed, his after the play crap on the field will make or break his career in the NFL.
In the bowl game that UAB played in. Announcers said pretty much the same thing late in the game with some of his antics. It’ll end up costing that guy probably millions in his lifetime if he can’t get it under control.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:19 am

crazy to think about the what ifs with this guy. Can you imagine if he would not have been such a head case and would have worked out, and we had Marino and Sterk on each side of the line this last year.... wow.

unfortunately that guy is just frickin nuts.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:37 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:19 am
crazy to think about the what ifs with this guy. Can you imagine if he would not have been such a head case and would have worked out, and we had Marino and Sterk on each side of the line this last year.... wow.

unfortunately that guy is just frickin nuts.
I hear you. But if he had worked out here, he would've been out of eligibility 2 years ago.

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:39 pm

JDoub wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:47 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Common Cat wrote:

Cousin's Ese! (spelled correct per slagpedia.org, give dem some cred)

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:50 pm

Well, here’s a new twist to his time at Montana State. :roll:

https://www.al.com/uab/2019/08/how-def ... t-uab.html

spring creek cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by spring creek cat » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:17 pm

That is one way to look at his time with the cats! Lol still to bad it didn’t work out! He is a beast hope he has turned the corner and get his shot