NDSU should go to the FBS!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: NDSU should go to the FBS!

Post by robgriz » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:10 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:25 pm
John K wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:41 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:55 pm
This narrative that NDSU is a "top 20" program and should move up to FBS is ridiculous. First, they aren't a top 20 program. Not even close. That's not a knock on them, they are leaps and bounds better than any other FCS program. But even if they were middle-of-the-road in all the P5 conferences (which I don't believe they are), that still puts them in the top 35-40 range, and that doesn't take into account the G5 programs that would also be better (Boise, Houston, Memphis, etc.). If they played a full FBS schedule with this team, they would probably go 6-6 or 7-5 and play in a crappy bowl. Again, that's not a knock, that would actually be a great accomplishment considering the disadvantages they would have against their competition!

And I don't see NDSU moving up for the same reasons most of us don't want to see MSU moving up. Sure, give them more money, more scholarships and I'm quite sure their football team would likely be successful. But they'd still never, ever compete for a national championship. They don't have the stadium to compete at the FBS level, and it's not like you can add on to a dome. They would also have to add several other athletics teams to comply with Title IX, with the added facilities, coaches, scholarships, etc. that goes with that. Their fans might support their football team really well, but I'm sure they're not quite as passionate about funding, say, a women's swimming team or something. They are at the right level, they're just doing it better than everyone else. They don't need to move up, everyone else needs to figure out how to do better. UM's success in the 90's and early 2000's spurred MSU to up their game, and I think/hope that NDSU's success will ultimately do the same for the FCS level of football.
Thank you. That was very well stated and the best post in this entire thread. You are spot on in everything you said.
Why? Because you agree with it?

Which “middle of the road” P5 teams would have the same record as NDSU over the past nine years? 6-0 vs FBS, 5-0 vs P5, 8 titles, 9 playoff appearances, whatever (36? And 27?) game winning streaks.

Also, which P5 teams (if you take away 22 scholarships) would do that? How many P5 teams would beat NDSU if it had 22 more scholarships?

They’re 5-0 vs P5 teams WITHOUT 22 more scholarships. Let that sink in for awhile. Imagine them with that. Because if they’re FBS, that’s the case.
+1

2011BisonAlumni
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2011BisonAlumni » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:16 pm

robgriz wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:33 pm
onceacat wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:55 pm
robgriz wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:59 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:07 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:50 pm

You guys all need to quit bitching and complaining about NDSU winning and just focus on getting better as a program.
What focusing techniques do you suggest?
We Montana schools could follow NDSU’s lead and have virtually no kids from the state the schools represent. Sounds swell
I count 19 from North Dakota & probably 50 from a Minnesota...considering that Fargos suburbs are in MN, your suggestion sounds patently absurd.
I was, of course, being sarcastic & actually it’s 14 ND, 35 from Minnesota, but if I’m not mistaken Fargo has suburbs in ND as well? Make no mistake, they cherry pick from the area but they also heavily recruit around the tri-cities. The truth is they are not as concerned with having a third to a half of the roster full of kids from ND as UM and MSU are with having kids from Montana. Don’t get me wrong, I want to win with Montana kids, ND just wants to win. Should also point out they also have more kids from Wisconsin than ND.
lol....the Montana schools might be the only fan base who is concerned about where a kid comes from.

If a kid has D1 talent, NDSU will take them. If they don’t, they shouldn’t get a roster spot.

It isn’t like NDSU is continually passing on kids in state who actually deserve to play on scholarship there. It’s a state with a limited population. There simply is only so much talent in state to pick from.

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by robgriz » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:30 pm

2011BisonAlumni wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:16 pm
robgriz wrote:
onceacat wrote:
robgriz wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
2011BisonAlumni wrote:

You guys all need to quit bitching and complaining about NDSU winning and just focus on getting better as a program.
We Montana schools could follow NDSU’s lead and have virtually no kids from the state the schools represent. Sounds swell
I count 19 from North Dakota & probably 50 from a Minnesota...considering that Fargos suburbs are in MN, your suggestion sounds patently absurd.
I was, of course, being sarcastic & actually it’s 14 ND, 35 from Minnesota, but if I’m not mistaken Fargo has suburbs in ND as well? Make no mistake, they cherry pick from the area but they also heavily recruit around the tri-cities. The truth is they are not as concerned with having a third to a half of the roster full of kids from ND as UM and MSU are with having kids from Montana. Don’t get me wrong, I want to win with Montana kids, ND just wants to win. Should also point out they also have more kids from Wisconsin than ND.
lol....the Montana schools might be the only fan base who is concerned about where a kid comes from.

If a kid has D1 talent, NDSU will take them. If they don’t, they shouldn’t get a roster spot.

It isn’t like NDSU is continually passing on kids in state who actually deserve to play on scholarship there. It’s a state with a limited population. There simply is only so much talent in state to pick from.
Which was my point.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:25 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
John K wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
This narrative that NDSU is a "top 20" program and should move up to FBS is ridiculous. First, they aren't a top 20 program. Not even close. That's not a knock on them, they are leaps and bounds better than any other FCS program. But even if they were middle-of-the-road in all the P5 conferences (which I don't believe they are), that still puts them in the top 35-40 range, and that doesn't take into account the G5 programs that would also be better (Boise, Houston, Memphis, etc.). If they played a full FBS schedule with this team, they would probably go 6-6 or 7-5 and play in a crappy bowl. Again, that's not a knock, that would actually be a great accomplishment considering the disadvantages they would have against their competition!

And I don't see NDSU moving up for the same reasons most of us don't want to see MSU moving up. Sure, give them more money, more scholarships and I'm quite sure their football team would likely be successful. But they'd still never, ever compete for a national championship. They don't have the stadium to compete at the FBS level, and it's not like you can add on to a dome. They would also have to add several other athletics teams to comply with Title IX, with the added facilities, coaches, scholarships, etc. that goes with that. Their fans might support their football team really well, but I'm sure they're not quite as passionate about funding, say, a women's swimming team or something. They are at the right level, they're just doing it better than everyone else. They don't need to move up, everyone else needs to figure out how to do better. UM's success in the 90's and early 2000's spurred MSU to up their game, and I think/hope that NDSU's success will ultimately do the same for the FCS level of football.
Thank you. That was very well stated and the best post in this entire thread. You are spot on in everything you said.

Which “middle of the road” P5 teams would have the same record as NDSU over the past nine years? 6-0 vs FBS, 5-0 vs P5, 8 titles, 9 playoff appearances, whatever (36? And 27?) game winning streaks.

Also, which P5 teams (if you take away 22 scholarships) would do that? How many P5 teams would beat NDSU if it had 22 more scholarships?

They’re 5-0 vs P5 teams WITHOUT 22 more scholarships. Let that sink in for awhile. Imagine them with that. Because if they’re FBS, that’s the case.
If they got to play mostly bad (still FBS & P5 teams, but not mostly good ones) teams with a chip on their shoulder like all FCS teams have when they play up, more than you think.

Think of it like this: how is our team and crowd when we play D2 teams? No one is really particularly excited, the players all get a little sloppy and act like they know they are going to win easily, the crowd isn’t quite as full and definitely not even close to full-throat... then, when that D2 team punches you in the mouth (ala Chadron), you are in a fight that you really aren’t ready for. Well, credit to ndsu for going out there and throwing punches most of the rest of the FCS isn’t capable of, and I’m really not trying to discredit what they use done - it’s incredible. But even if they got 22 more scholarships, they have to play teams that are much better prepared and ready each and every week, and laws of attrition start to take their toll. That’s when the natural disadvantages of being located in a tiny, remote state like ND starts to affect recruiting, because instead of bringing them to Fargo and comparing that scene to the other sh*tholes in the MVFC, they are competing against legit amazing college towns like Madison, Minneapolis, etc. Its a whole different ballgame.

GO CATS GO!!!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:38 am

BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:25 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
John K wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:

If they got to play mostly bad (still FBS & P5 teams, but not mostly good ones) teams with a chip on their shoulder like all FCS teams have when they play up, more than you think.

Think of it like this: how is our team and crowd when we play D2 teams? No one is really particularly excited, the players all get a little sloppy and act like they know they are going to win easily, the crowd isn’t quite as full and definitely not even close to full-throat... then, when that D2 team punches you in the mouth (ala Chadron), you are in a fight that you really aren’t ready for. Well, credit to ndsu for going out there and throwing punches most of the rest of the FCS isn’t capable of, and I’m really not trying to discredit what they use done - it’s incredible. But even if they got 22 more scholarships, they have to play teams that are much better prepared and ready each and every week, and laws of attrition start to take their toll. That’s when the natural disadvantages of being located in a tiny, remote state like ND starts to affect recruiting, because instead of bringing them to Fargo and comparing that scene to the other sh*tholes in the MVFC, they are competing against legit amazing college towns like Madison, Minneapolis, etc. Its a whole different ballgame.
Again, those are all very good points. NDSU belongs in FCS, as do a lot of other schools that have made the mistake of moving up in recent years. A very few like App State have competed fairly well, but the overwhelming majority have not. Some, like Marshall, have fared pretty well for a few years, but then tumbled back down to earth. Some, like Idaho and NMSU, have been abysmal failures. Remember when Idaho was perennially a national contender in I-AA/FCS, and the best program in the BSC, even better than Boise, or UM or UNR? How did that move up work out for them? After being a bottom feeder in the worst FBS conference in the nation for many years, they finally swallowed their pride and dropped back down, and now they're a bottom feeder in the BSC. And people act like they're guaranteed of being on top forever. They've had an incredible run, but it will end eventually. UCLA once won 10 NCAA hoops titles in 12 years. I'm sure back then people thought their dynasty would last forever, but now they've won only one in the 45 years since Wooden retired. Same with Tennessee in WBB. They dominated for many, many years, but their reign ended too.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:07 am

BozoneCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
John K wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:

Let’s compare apples to apples. NDSU is a known entity that went into those P5 games coming off championships. Not to mention having beaten P5 teams the previous seasons. A coach and player would be absolutely nuts to not be prepared for them (unless they had a huge distraction like Ohio State coming in the next week) MSU has never played a D2 team coming off a national title and usually plays D2s with under .500 records, nor one that was coming off a D2 championship.

I’m a Gopher fan and can tell you Minneapolis is not an amazing college town. It’s a huge city with a large university among its many attractions. The Gophers averaged less than 40,000 per home game in 2018.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:50 am

2011BisonAlumni wrote:
robgriz wrote:
onceacat wrote:
robgriz wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
2011BisonAlumni wrote:

Ummm Montana has a limited population too. 1 million people. ND has 700k. Both FCS Montana schools find spots for around 40+ Montana kids each. Does Ndsu even have 10 North Dakota kids??

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GavinDonos » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:44 am

A large conference would never accept them because they play in a city-owned stadium that caps out at 19k capacity. That's clown sh*t as far as major college football is concerned. Build your own house.

I don't see why they'd want to move up to the MAC, just so they could maybe have a few good seasons before they start to trend down. Doubtful they'd get any more (less) respect than Central Florida could whip up when they went on their tear.

I definitely don't see them having the balls to start a capital campaign to build a larger stadium on their own tab.

They are sitting fat and happy right now, guzzling beer and eating kielbasa in a downtown Fargo parking lot. I think we're stuck with them.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:04 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:07 am
BozoneCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
John K wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:

Let’s compare apples to apples. NDSU is a known entity that went into those P5 games coming off championships. Not to mention having beaten P5 teams the previous seasons. A coach and player would be absolutely nuts to not be prepared for them (unless they had a huge distraction like Ohio State coming in the next week) MSU has never played a D2 team coming off a national title and usually plays D2s with under .500 records, nor one that was coming off a D2 championship.

I’m a Gopher fan and can tell you Minneapolis is not an amazing college town. It’s a huge city with a large university among its many attractions. The Gophers averaged less than 40,000 per home game in 2018.
I stated as much, saying that teams have to be crazy to overlook them... yet they still do, at least to an extent. I think it's human nature, especially for cocky 18-22 y/o kids, to think that little schools like NDSU are cute and play good football for their level, but they think that just because they are FBS, they will walk all over them. It's why kids choose to go to crappy programs like San Jose State over Montana State. Makes no sense to me, as I'd rather play in front of a packed house of rowdy fans and play for championships as opposed to playing in front of a half-full, half-asleep crowd and lose more often than win - but that's just me. At the least, you have to admit that it's a lot harder to get psyched and really focused when you play down a division as opposed to, say Ohio State the following week.

Agreed about Minneapolis not being an amazing college town, but it's a really cool city and a great place to live. Certainly beats the hell out of Fargo.

GO CATS GO!!!

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:22 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:50 am
2011BisonAlumni wrote:
robgriz wrote:
onceacat wrote:
robgriz wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
2011BisonAlumni wrote:

Ummm Montana has a limited population too. 1 million people. ND has 700k. Both FCS Montana schools find spots for around 40+ Montana kids each. Does Ndsu even have 10 North Dakota kids??
I counted 19 on the roster...not totally sure that's correct.

As you point out, Montana & NoDak each have 2 D1 schools. Montana has maybe 20 kids tops every season with D1 ability....NoDak has 2/3 the population, so you do the math. Maybe 15 kids.

And are you seriously going to act like players from Moorhead who live within biking distance of the Fargodome aren't REALLY the same as in-state guys? Trey Lance is from <200 miles away, but he doesn't count because he's from Minnesota? But the guys from 300 miles away in Dickinson "count"?

This is bordering on absurd.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:37 am

onceacat wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:22 am
91catAlum wrote:
2011BisonAlumni wrote:
robgriz wrote:
onceacat wrote:
robgriz wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
2011BisonAlumni wrote:

As you point out, Montana & NoDak each have 2 D1 schools. Montana has maybe 20 kids tops every season with D1 ability....NoDak has 2/3 the population, so you do the math. Maybe 15 kids.

And are you seriously going to act like players from Moorhead who live within biking distance of the Fargodome aren't REALLY the same as in-state guys? Trey Lance is from <200 miles away, but he doesn't count because he's from Minnesota? But the guys from 300 miles away in Dickinson "count"?

I'm not "going to act" like anything. I just get tired of hearing the population excuse from Ndsu fans, and wanted to point out some facts about the roster numbers. Admittedly I was a bit low, here's the real numbers:

Ndsu has 16 ND kids on their roster.
MSU has 46 kids from Montana.
The griz have 49.
You do the rest of the math yourself, and then tell me who's being absurd.

Is North Dakota State part of the Minnesota university system, or the North Dakota university system?
Which state funds them?

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:04 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:37 am
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
2011BisonAlumni wrote:
robgriz wrote:
onceacat wrote:
robgriz wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
2011BisonAlumni wrote:

I'm not "going to act" like anything. I just get tired of hearing the population excuse from Ndsu fans, and wanted to point out some facts about the roster numbers. Admittedly I was a bit low, here's the real numbers:

The griz have 49.

Is North Dakota State part of the Minnesota university system, or the North Dakota university system?
Which state funds them?
I'd bet dollars to donuts there are more NDSU grads & football boosters in the Twin Cities than in the entire state of North Dakota.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:13 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:04 pm
91catAlum wrote:
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
2011BisonAlumni wrote:
robgriz wrote:
onceacat wrote:
robgriz wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
2011BisonAlumni wrote:

The griz have 49.

Which state funds them?
I'd bet dollars to donuts there are more NDSU grads & football boosters in the Twin Cities than in the entire state of North Dakota.
I'd bet you're correct. A quick glance through the MSU Alumni records I believe there are many more MSUs graduates in either Denver or Seattle proper. My NoDak relatives moved to Texas after finishing college.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:38 pm

One thing I have always wondered is if NDSU would have had this same kind of success had Fullerton brought them into the Big Sky when they moved up to FCS. As I recall, was there not a push to add NDSU and UND instead of some of the other schools that were added? Not saying that it would have made a difference at all. Let’s face it, NDSU dominated Div II just like it has the FCS. Also, the MVFC still needs to get better. Just wanted to add that in there. Haha!! You people need to laugh more.

Punters are people too!!

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:40 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:13 pm
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
2011BisonAlumni wrote:
robgriz wrote:
onceacat wrote:
robgriz wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

The griz have 49.

Which state funds them?
I'd bet you're correct. A quick glance through the MSU Alumni records I believe there are many more MSUs graduates in either Denver or Seattle proper. My NoDak relatives moved to Texas after finishing college.
So it follows that Minnesotans probably pay the bulk of the football budget?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:20 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:40 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:13 pm
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
2011BisonAlumni wrote:
robgriz wrote:
onceacat wrote:
robgriz wrote:

The griz have 49.

Which state funds them?
So it follows that Minnesotans probably pay the bulk of the football budget?
Probably. It is my experience that the majority of the contributions to an institution are from out of state alumni.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:49 pm

Based on the results of the annual Badlands Bowl, Montana clearly has more good football players, even controlling for population. In North Dakota hockey is king. How many North Dakota kids are on the NDSU and UND hockey teams?

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:06 pm

NDSU doesn't compete in NCAA D1 hockey. They have club teams for men's and women's hockey.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

2011BisonAlumni
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2011BisonAlumni » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:15 pm

91catAlum wrote:
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
2011BisonAlumni wrote:
robgriz wrote:
onceacat wrote:
robgriz wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
2011BisonAlumni wrote:

The griz have 49.

Which state funds them?
NDSU had 16 ND kids on their roster
UND had 16 ND kids on their roster
32 total kids playing D1 football

Population of ND is 760k approx and population of Wyoming is 580k approx. based on a similar pro rata of D1 players, UW would have 24 WY players on their roster

University of Wyoming, the only 4 year university in the state of Wyoming, had 20 Wyoming kids on their roster.

BTW 30 total kids playing D1 football at SDSU and USD who came from SD.

My take away is the universities in Montana should invest athletic scholarships in the most deserving athletes, regardless of where they came from.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:03 pm

2011BisonAlumni wrote: My take away is the universities in Montana should invest athletic scholarships in the most deserving athletes, regardless of where they came from.
Congratulations to Mike Person, Glendive native and Bobcat star on making it to the Super Bowl as a starter with the ‘49ers.

Maybe Montana State is investing properly in the best athletes they can get — the coaches are pretty smart. Mike and a lot of other star players, including two Buck winners, from Montana started as walk-ons. Can’t get much more efficient than that. A lot of those Montana players on the roster have had to flat-out earn any money they get. And Coach Choate is recruiting to upgrade every position, all the time.

Did anyone notice that both Montana teams are ranked in like the top 6 nationally? To say that both coaches aren’t doing their jobs is a stretch.