Matt Miller

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Matt Miller

Post by Prodigal Cat » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:49 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:30 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:36 pm
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:23 pm
Don't get me wrong, I loved Lulay as a Bobcat.

But what exactly makes people think that someone who has never coached, could step in and be our O Coordinator?

Maybe start off as our QB coach (a good role for him, I think).....and maybe O coordinator down the road, but what makes folks think anyone with no coaching experience can coach our offense right now?
He played in the NFL, NFL Europe, CFL, and for the Cats. He probably has more offensive schemes and principles rolling around in his head than the majority of people that coach at this level. He also was a leader where ever he played and had an effusive personality that he demonstrated throughout his career. His qualifications aren't the issue here, this isn't a PAC12 or NFL job. Its whether he wants the job. For someone like him this is probably as entry level as it gets. We would be lucky to have him.
i agree, but I also agree that he wouldn't be a good OC right out of the shoot. QB coach, yes!!!
My point was that he would make a great coach but I'm not sure he come to just be the QB coach. Also him wanting to spend time with his family... isn't his wife from Mt? This really was me thinking out loud. :)

I think in terms of continuity DM maybe deserves a shot at it. I'm guessing spending the last few years coaching with him Choate knows if he's a good fit to run the O or not, just like he did with Miller.

Another name that hasn't been mentioned here that i've seen is Armstrong. It demonstrated some pretty good character traits for him to be demoted and sticking around. Lots of guys would have looked elsewhere and he didn't. Plus, his results as the O-line and run game coach are pretty damn good. Like record breaking good. He could be like Ioane and just needed to see someone else do it, learn, come back a much better coach.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:04 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:49 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:

But what exactly makes people think that someone who has never coached, could step in and be our O Coordinator?

Maybe start off as our QB coach (a good role for him, I think).....and maybe O coordinator down the road, but what makes folks think anyone with no coaching experience can coach our offense right now?
He played in the NFL, NFL Europe, CFL, and for the Cats. He probably has more offensive schemes and principles rolling around in his head than the majority of people that coach at this level. He also was a leader where ever he played and had an effusive personality that he demonstrated throughout his career. His qualifications aren't the issue here, this isn't a PAC12 or NFL job. Its whether he wants the job. For someone like him this is probably as entry level as it gets. We would be lucky to have him.
i agree, but I also agree that he wouldn't be a good OC right out of the shoot. QB coach, yes!!!
My point was that he would make a great coach but I'm not sure he come to just be the QB coach. Also him wanting to spend time with his family... isn't his wife from Mt? This really was me thinking out loud. :)

I think in terms of continuity DM maybe deserves a shot at it. I'm guessing spending the last few years coaching with him Choate knows if he's a good fit to run the O or not, just like he did with Miller.

Another name that hasn't been mentioned here that i've seen is Armstrong. It demonstrated some pretty good character traits for him to be demoted and sticking around. Lots of guys would have looked elsewhere and he didn't. Plus, his results as the O-line and run game coach are pretty damn good. Like record breaking good. He could be like Ioane and just needed to see someone else do it, learn, come back a much better coach.
Armstrong has been the OC. He got demoted. Not sure it makes sense to do that again.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:08 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:04 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:

Armstrong has been the OC. He got demoted. Not sure it makes sense to do that again.
That is addressed in the post.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:10 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:

Ioane was the DC and our Defense was terrible. He wasn't hired back during the coaching change. Probably didn't make sense to do that again

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:12 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:10 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:

Ioane was the DC and our Defense was terrible. He wasn't hired back during the coaching change. Probably didn't make sense to do that again
He was the Co-DC and, based off what past players have said, he was more like 5% DC with Marshall taking up the other 95%. I'm assuming you meant he wasn't hired back as the DC during the coaching change because he was MSU's LB coach in 2016.

Regardless, the change of scenery and training he got at Washington was 100% beneficial.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:15 pm

I was being sarcastic. 99 didn't read my post and ignored the point I was trying to make

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:35 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:10 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:

That's not a fair comparison. Ioane was the co-DC, and I don't think he was even calling plays.

Ioane also was hired back during the coaching change, and then a year later left to Washington. Him learning at Washington is quite a bit different than Armstrong (who had previously called plays in his career) watching Matt Miller do it.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:38 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:15 pm
I was being sarcastic. 99 didn't read my post and ignored the point I was trying to make
I didn't ignore the point.

I don't think the guy who previously failed at OC here is the right candidate. It's just that simple, to me. He seems like a really good OL coach, I'd keep him there.

I guess, and maybe I'm being unrealistic, but this is a good program. A really good program. I think we can do better with an OC hire than that.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:55 pm

I think keeping Armstrong at OL and run game coordinator would really benefit the new OC.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:08 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:55 pm
I think keeping Armstrong at OL and run game coordinator would really benefit the new OC.
Absolutely couldn't agree more.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:09 pm

After talking it over with family and friends, I have decided that I will be applying for the OC position. I am going to be the first OC to only use Madden for my play calling. You can expect to see a lot more bootlegs and I will also find a way to get our TE’s more involved.

Punters are people too!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:29 pm

As long is this is the playbook, I'll take the job:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Team10

Post by Team10 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:33 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:29 pm

You must have been the one calling the plays in the North Dakota game

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:23 pm

CelticCat wrote:

Defensive Playbook...sorry Kane but we need to be even more aggressive.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:44 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:23 pm
CelticCat wrote:

Defensive Playbook...sorry Kane but we need to be even more aggressive.

Engage 8, take your fastest LB and shoot the gap, and you got a sack every time.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:13 am

I think we really sell ourselves short by suggesting someone not an up and comer. That's the old way. Who can we promote within. If we have it within, then do. But Kane went to get trained at UW. It was invaluable. Maybe Dmac has the ability now. Maybe a year someplace else helps. Talent gets recognized. Choate said Matt was an up and comer. Kane was recognized by more than just us when he was at UW. Other programs...

There are some coaches in the NFL that are excellent coordinators. And they've tried to be head coaches. A few times. But it doesn't work out. So they go back. Then they try again. But it doesn't work out. Steve Spagnuolo. Romeo Crenell. Wade Phillips. To name a few. Sometimes position coaches are awesome at it but that's what they do well. Not additional responsibilities.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:18 am

Don't know if this has been posted yet. If so, my apologies for getting the thread kind of back on track.

https://amp-idahostatesman-com.cdn.ampp ... 43853.html

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:37 am

lutecat wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:13 am
I think we really sell ourselves short by suggesting someone not an up and comer. That's the old way. Who can we promote within. If we have it within, then do. But Kane went to get trained at UW. It was invaluable. Maybe Dmac has the ability now. Maybe a year someplace else helps. Talent gets recognized. Choate said Matt was an up and comer. Kane was recognized by more than just us when he was at UW. Other programs...

There are some coaches in the NFL that are excellent coordinators. And they've tried to be head coaches. A few times. But it doesn't work out. So they go back. Then they try again. But it doesn't work out. Steve Spagnuolo. Romeo Crenell. Wade Phillips. To name a few. Sometimes position coaches are awesome at it but that's what they do well. Not additional responsibilities.
You're absolutely correct about young coaches denied opportunites. Hell, how old is the Rams head coach? How old was Dabo Swinney and his first offensive coordinator when they arrived at Clemson. I'd personally hate to see Dmac head to Boise with Miller as he's that one individual who meant so much to the slow upward trend of MSU athletics. It seems to me the same individuals posting that we need an experienced oc are the same ones who complained about Messingham's play calling while he was here yet didn't identify an inability of the kids playing the game to properly execute the plays called. A couple years ago we had an experienced dc who was gone midseason.

Given the high school Dmac played for and his ability to manage a football game while playing hurt the majority of his playing career, I'd personally like to see the young man elevated to that position. During my lifetime, I've watched many coaches with MSU connections move on to much bigger and better schools--many because the powers that be never afforded them an opportunity at MSU. Heck, Sonny's son just became the oc at Nebraska. I really can't stand watching the talent pool MSU produces take said talent out of state while we're stuck at the level we're at and not many aspirations to rise above this level.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:46 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:41 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:26 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:51 pm
catatac wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:28 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:17 pm
Guys, I love McGhee as a player, and person, but what has he done to make himself a viable OC candidate for a top 5 team in the nation?

And please realize that I say this thinking that McGhee has the potential to be an excellent HC some day, but he's also very young, and I don't think he's ready. Let's not forget that not so long ago, he was removed from the QB coach slot to RB coach. He's not a bad coach by any means, but he just doesn't appear to be ready yet.

We absolutely need somebody who has called plays before, whether at the HS or college level. Or at least some assistant who has been around for a while. If Choate was a guy who had been an OC prior, then it would be a different discussion, but right now we just don't have that experience on the coaching staff.
What was MM's resume before being named OC? Not arguing, as I honestly don't remember.
1 year as an Offensive Quality Control Assistant at Boise and then 2+ years as MSU's recievers coach. Which shows that there's no way to generically determine when someone is old enough or "ready" enough to become a coordinator. I trust that Coach Choate knows his staff well enough to make the determination whether the best choice is to promote from within, or bring someone in from outside.
Here are a couple of other guys that are on their first gig as offensive coordinator:

North Dakota State - Tyler Roehl, an All-America running back and four-year letterman at North Dakota State from 2004 to 2008, returned to his alma mater as the tight ends and fullbacks coach in 2014. He was elevated to offensive coordinator in 2019. Between his coaching stints at NDSU, Roehl spent the 2012 and 2013 seasons on the Moorhead High School football staff under former Bison quarterback Kevin Feeney. He was the running backs coach and junior varsity offensive coordinator in 2010 at Concordia College in Moorhead.

South Dakota State - Jason Eck has been handed the reins of the Jackrabbit offense after serving the past three seasons as offensive line coach and run game coordinator. He will continue to coach the team’s offensive linemen. Eck has coached at the collegiate level since 1999, including serving as run game coordinator and offensive line coach at Montana State in 2015. In his lone season with the Bobcats, Eck helped coach an offense that led the Football Championship Subdivision in yards per play (6.82) and ranked fourth in total offense with an average of 519.8 yards per game.

Point being, every offensive coordinator was given an initial chance somewhere. It would seem that McGhee is a smart, driven individual who is very knowledgeable of our players and offense. He has been integral to the success of the offense, recruiting and has been in the middle of the action on the sidelines for the past couple of years. I would be okay with giving him the chance right now. His resume actually appears more developed than when Miller was promoted to OC.
The biography on Roehl is contradictory to your statement.

Jason Eck, prior to coaching at Montana State, was the OC at Mankato.

Both of those guys had experience calling plays before their current jobs.
I didn’t place too much weight on their experiences at Mankato and as the JV offensive coordinator at Concordia College since they were both hired as position assistant coaches at the FCS levels. Regardless, they had limited OC experience and have been very successful. Here is another guy with limited experience before giving the OC duties and seeing success:

NAU - #3 ranked Offense in FCS this year - Aaron Pflugrad - Pflugrad arrived at NAU after spending the previous two seasons as a graduate assistant with Arizona State University. Pflugrad spent his first three seasons with the Lumberjacks as the wide receivers coach before being elevated to offensive coordinator in 2018.

I am not saying that McGhee should be given the reigns, but I do believe he is a qualified candidate. It would be great to see a “co-offensive coordinator” title paired with someone who has some experience calling plays.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:58 pm

How old was this guy when Gundy called?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Yurcich