Matt Miller

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Matt Miller

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:26 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:01 pm
coochorama42 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:30 am
Just curious, does anyone know what offensive coordinators make at other FCS schools that are not in the CAA, MVFC, or Big Sky? I was wondering if we could poach someone like Christian Taylor (O-Coordinator at the University of San Diego) who might have the prerequisite experience running an offense but still see this as a move up because of the caliber of play and perhaps? salary.
I have no idea about salaries. But I have to think this is a pretty sought-after position in our ranks. I assume we'll get some great applicants and Choate has given me no reason to believe he won't make a great hire.

Great for MM as well. I thought he was getting better every week. He's going to be a head coach some day for sure. Wish him all the best.
Agreed. We should be able to poach a top OC from a lesser FCS conference (or a team not in the top half of the good conferences). Who wouldn't want to step into that role for a team that just made the semis last season and is on the rise?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:12 pm

Would love to see Travis Lulay be considered. He is smart and a winner.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:21 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:12 pm
Would love to see Travis Lulay be considered. He is smart and a winner.
I’m not sure he’d be interested. It sounds like he has a pretty sweet gig right now.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:23 pm

Don't get me wrong, I loved Lulay as a Bobcat.

But what exactly makes people think that someone who has never coached, could step in and be our O Coordinator?

Maybe start off as our QB coach (a good role for him, I think).....and maybe O coordinator down the road, but what makes folks think anyone with no coaching experience can coach our offense right now?

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:36 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:23 pm

But what exactly makes people think that someone who has never coached, could step in and be our O Coordinator?

Maybe start off as our QB coach (a good role for him, I think).....and maybe O coordinator down the road, but what makes folks think anyone with no coaching experience can coach our offense right now?
He played in the NFL, NFL Europe, CFL, and for the Cats. He probably has more offensive schemes and principles rolling around in his head than the majority of people that coach at this level. He also was a leader where ever he played and had an effusive personality that he demonstrated throughout his career. His qualifications aren't the issue here, this isn't a PAC12 or NFL job. Its whether he wants the job. For someone like him this is probably as entry level as it gets. We would be lucky to have him.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:44 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:36 pm
HelenaCat95 wrote:

He played in the NFL, NFL Europe, CFL, and for the Cats. He probably has more offensive schemes and principles rolling around in his head than the majority of people that coach at this level. He also was a leader where ever he played and had an effusive personality that he demonstrated throughout his career. His qualifications aren't the issue here, this isn't a PAC12 or NFL job. Its whether he wants the job. For someone like him this is probably as entry level as it gets. We would be lucky to have him.
If it's him, I'll support him 100%.
But my point is that knowing something is different than teaching something. I don't doubt that he knows plenty - but what in his experience tells us that he can teach it?
Choate has said over and over that he looks for teachers of the game. If Lulay wants the job, interviews for the job, and convinces Coach in the interview that he can teach it....then I'm all in. But until then, I am as of yet unconvinced.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:46 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:36 pm
HelenaCat95 wrote:

Those are all really great things.

It doesn't mean he can teach it to 18-22 year olds. Maybe he can, maybe he can't, I'd prefer not to see him as the OC.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:58 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:30 am
Just curious, does anyone know what offensive coordinators make at other FCS schools that are not in the CAA, MVFC, or Big Sky? I was wondering if we could poach someone like Christian Taylor (O-Coordinator at the University of San Diego) who might have the prerequisite experience running an offense but still see this as a move up because of the caliber of play and perhaps? salary.
I absolutely think we can take an OC from that level. Miller getting the job at Boise is a selling point for Choate.

I also think fit matters, a lot. Taylor seems like a really good coach. I like him a lot. However, his offensive style, and what Choate has said he wants to do on offense, do not mesh.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:28 pm

If we can’t get someone like Dennis Erickson or Travis Lulay to do it as a labor of love I think we should give it to McGhee, just to keep him in the program. The smartest thing Choate did was make sure that Kane Ioane got the DC to keep him around. With the salaries that are paid for assistant coaches in the FCS these guys really can’t afford not to move if given a chance. Miller will probably be making more as BSU’s WR coach than Choate does as the MSU head coach. Who in their right mind would take a job as a coordinator or HC at the FCS level with all the headaches and scrutiny when they can make far more as a position assistant in the FBS. We are really lucky to have Choate. He cut his salary in less than half to come here.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:33 pm

seataccat wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:28 pm
If we can’t get someone like Dennis Erickson or Travis Lulay to do it as a labor of love I think we should give it to McGhee, just to keep him in the program. The smartest thing Choate did was make sure that Kane Ioane got the DC to keep him around. With the salaries that are paid for assistant coaches in the FCS these guys really can’t afford not to move if given a chance. Miller will probably be making more as BSU’s WR coach than Choate does as the MSU head coach. Who in their right mind would take a job as a coordinator or HC at the FCS level with all the headaches and scrutiny when they can make far more as a position assistant in the FBS. We are really lucky to have Choate. He cut his salary in less than half to come here.
Also noticed that Miller got the "Passing Game Coordinator" designation along with WR coach. Will add to his pay bump.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:41 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:33 pm
seataccat wrote:
Also noticed that Miller got the "Passing Game Coordinator" designation along with WR coach. Will add to his pay bump.
Odd, too, because Miller’s offense was so focused on running the ball due to the QBs he had at MSU as well as some very good runners and a run-blocking offensive line.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:45 pm

PapaG wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:41 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
seataccat wrote:
Odd, too, because Miller’s offense was so focused on running the ball due to the QBs he had at MSU as well as some very good runners and a run-blocking offensive line.
I guess I don't really find it odd. What would be odd if he was the run-game coordinator as a WR coach. But passing game coordinators are heavily involved in the game planning process based off the strengths and weaknesses of their WR's and QB's, something Matt was always very knowledgeable of as a QB and WR coach at MSU.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:51 pm

Looks like Eric Kiesau, who is now OC, was co-offensive coordinator/receivers in 2019 and made $250,000.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:58 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:51 pm
Looks like Eric Kiesau, who is now OC, was co-offensive coordinator/receivers in 2019 and made $250,000.
That's a huge pay bump for Miller. But it's not more than Choate made this year. With bonuses, Choate was around $350K last season.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:08 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:45 pm
PapaG wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
seataccat wrote:
I guess I don't really find it odd. What would be odd if he was the run-game coordinator as a WR coach. But passing game coordinators are heavily involved in the game planning process based off the strengths and weaknesses of their WR's and QB's, something Matt was always very knowledgeable of as a QB and WR coach at MSU.
I understand that, and Miller’s experience as a BSU receiver in a pro-style passing offense plays into it. That said, the Bobcat offense under Miller wasn’t exactly pass-centric or at all complex, due to various factors.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:10 pm

PapaG wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
seataccat wrote:
One would imagine the WR coach would have a lot of input on the passing game.

Just an fyi, I don't think that was truly Miller's offense. Obviously a lot of his design, his input, etc, but he was running what Choate wanted him to run. Also a bit limited by the QB position for much of the year.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:16 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:10 pm
PapaG wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
seataccat wrote:

Just an fyi, I don't think that was truly Miller's offense. Obviously a lot of his design, his input, etc, but he was running what Choate wanted him to run. Also a bit limited by the QB position for much of the year.
There was definitely a "come to jesus" meeting with all of the coaches, specifically on offense, after the UND game. Miller got more leeway after that game.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:28 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:16 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
seataccat wrote:

There was definitely a "come to jesus" meeting with all of the coaches, specifically on offense, after the UND game. Miller got more leeway after that game.
Interesting. Good to know.

If Choate has a flaw, it's that he can be too involved. Sometimes you gotta let a peacock fly.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:30 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:28 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:16 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
seataccat wrote:

Interesting. Good to know.

If Choate has a flaw, it's that he can be too involved. Sometimes you gotta let a peacock fly.
Yes sir!

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:53 pm

Miller did a great job keeping our offense multiple and the guys on point- besides UND we moved the ball on everybody including NDSU. I think passing was was a function of what our players did best. He is only going to get better.