Matt Miller

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Matt Miller

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:24 am

One thing to consider: being a talented former player with a high football IQ definitely gives you the foundation of Someday being a coordinator. But there is the distinct skill that so often gets overlooked: simply calling plays.

Miller is such a prodigy because he learned it so quickly. Guys like Ty Gregorak have such high functioning brains that, when the right adjustments are made, the second half play calling has such rhythm. But even Ty was so volatile early.

Kane Ioane’s first time as DC, no rhythm. Part of that was the split roll. His second, first half, good but not what it would become. Second half of the season? Straight fire. He got in a rhythm and mastered the personnel and trusted his players.

Some guys never can find that flow within games. MSU has had some that are non sensical particularly on offense. And some guys are outstanding position coaches or executives and are former players but can’t handle the heat. Others can.

You never know if McGhee or Lulay could call plays right out of the gate. But where MSU is as a program, they need a proven or up and coming offensive play caller.

The other determining factor is that, although Tucker Rovig returns, another QB battle is already underway. MSU has built its offense around its personnel and under Miller, it was no different.

Building an offense around Rovig or Matt McKay or other means different offensive identities. So it will be interesting to see if Choate hires a guy and the QBs have to pick up the system or if he hires an OC with a style that favors one QB or he hires a flexible coach who builds around a similar base (Cats would be crazy to not be run first with that OL, Ifanse, Andersen, Sumner, Hosey etc.) as the last few years then expands for whoever is the QB.

I think the foundation some former great players as coaches gives them a leg up. And a great many can learn to call plays in due time. But it would be risky business for a team that will enter next season in the top 8 or even 5 in the National polls to hire someone who’s never called plays in a D-1 game before.

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:12 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:24 am
One thing to consider: being a talented former player with a high football IQ definitely gives you the foundation of Someday being a coordinator. But there is the distinct skill that so often gets overlooked: simply calling plays.

Miller is such a prodigy because he learned it so quickly. Guys like Ty Gregorak have such high functioning brains that, when the right adjustments are made, the second half play calling has such rhythm. But even Ty was so volatile early.

Kane Ioane’s first time as DC, no rhythm. Part of that was the split roll. His second, first half, good but not what it would become. Second half of the season? Straight fire. He got in a rhythm and mastered the personnel and trusted his players.

Some guys never can find that flow within games. MSU has had some that are non sensical particularly on offense. And some guys are outstanding position coaches or executives and are former players but can’t handle the heat. Others can.

You never know if McGhee or Lulay could call plays right out of the gate. But where MSU is as a program, they need a proven or up and coming offensive play caller.

The other determining factor is that, although Tucker Rovig returns, another QB battle is already underway. MSU has built its offense around its personnel and under Miller, it was no different.

Building an offense around Rovig or Matt McKay or other means different offensive identities. So it will be interesting to see if Choate hires a guy and the QBs have to pick up the system or if he hires an OC with a style that favors one QB or he hires a flexible coach who builds around a similar base (Cats would be crazy to not be run first with that OL, Ifanse, Andersen, Sumner, Hosey etc.) as the last few years then expands for whoever is the QB.

I think the foundation some former great players as coaches gives them a leg up. And a great many can learn to call plays in due time. But it would be risky business for a team that will enter next season in the top 8 or even 5 in the National polls to hire someone who’s never called plays in a D-1 game before.
Agree 100%, we need an experienced coordinator, play caller and QB coach. Colter, do you have any names to keep an eye on? Maybe a better question would be who should Choate be looking at to fill the position?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:27 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:53 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:51 pm
Hopefully we get one with some experience at the position this time. I thought Matt did well but it would nice to have someone come in who knows exactly how to do the job and but the ground running.
Like this guy?

Erickson/DMac co-coordinators for 1, maybe 2 years, then DMac takes the reigns. 8)

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:30 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:36 pm
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:23 pm
Don't get me wrong, I loved Lulay as a Bobcat.

But what exactly makes people think that someone who has never coached, could step in and be our O Coordinator?

Maybe start off as our QB coach (a good role for him, I think).....and maybe O coordinator down the road, but what makes folks think anyone with no coaching experience can coach our offense right now?
He played in the NFL, NFL Europe, CFL, and for the Cats. He probably has more offensive schemes and principles rolling around in his head than the majority of people that coach at this level. He also was a leader where ever he played and had an effusive personality that he demonstrated throughout his career. His qualifications aren't the issue here, this isn't a PAC12 or NFL job. Its whether he wants the job. For someone like him this is probably as entry level as it gets. We would be lucky to have him.
i agree, but I also agree that he wouldn't be a good OC right out of the shoot. QB coach, yes!!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:36 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:

This!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:57 am

WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:36 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
This!!
Everyone loves Lulay, and he absolutely has the potential to become a great coach/OC IF he wants it. But my first thought (given I live in the Salt Lake Valley) is that Lulay as OC next year would work out about as well as Ty Detmer did as OC at BYU. Heisman winner, 14 year NFL career, BYU hero and legacy, and he coached HS football. He was a total disaster as OC. I think largely because of what Colter said about play calling. He'd NEVER called D1 plays before.

McGhee deserves a shot, at least as pass game coordinator, I would think. I actually love the idea of Dennis and DMac together for a year. What I'd love even more is Dennis as OC, DMac pass game coordinator and WR coach, and Lulay as QB coach. 3 Bobcat HOF QB's running the offense.

That is likely my nostalgia showing though.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:02 am

From our interview with Lulay, I think he's pretty happy to finally spend some real time with his family.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:14 am

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:02 am
From our interview with Lulay, I think he's pretty happy to finally spend some real time with his family.
Well earned, and the best choice for him. I'd do the same if I could, and Vancouver BC is beautiful. What an unusual gift in life he has, to be able to devote so much time to his wife and young kids, at his age.

Coaching is like cowboying - it's not so much a profession as it is a way of life that demands all you got.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:20 am

WalkOn79 wrote:
[quote=Colter_Nuanez post_id=698598 time=<a href="tel:1579249472">1579249472</a> user_id=16711]

This!!
[/quote]
MSU will enter next season at either 3 or 4 in the polls. Likely loss to Utah will set it back, but will go into Weber game at 5-1 and ranked at least in top five.

The best coordinators put their best players in position to make plays. The play call should revolve around that. This is true in every sport, especially at the FCS level and below into high school. Many coaches believe their “system” is what makes it all go. They almost always run into trouble. You see it happening right now at multiple schools. Choate understands this and that’s a big reason why Miller did as well as he did.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:23 am

JDoub wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:57 am
WalkOn79 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
This!!
Everyone loves Lulay, and he absolutely has the potential to become a great coach/OC IF he wants it. But my first thought (given I live in the Salt Lake Valley) is that Lulay as OC next year would work out about as well as Ty Detmer did as OC at BYU. Heisman winner, 14 year NFL career, BYU hero and legacy, and he coached HS football. He was a total disaster as OC. I think largely because of what Colter said about play calling. He'd NEVER called D1 plays before.

McGhee deserves a shot, at least as pass game coordinator, I would think. I actually love the idea of Dennis and DMac together for a year. What I'd love even more is Dennis as OC, DMac pass game coordinator and WR coach, and Lulay as QB coach. 3 Bobcat HOF QB's running the offense.

That is likely my nostalgia showing though.
I agree with all of it. I love Lulay for what he was. I love McGhee for what he was and what he continues to be for MSU. He deserves any shot the coaching staff is willing and able to give him. The work he puts in, from what I've heard, is second to none. But it's amazing to me how many people underestimate the number of different things a person has to be good at in order to be a good coach. On top of knowing the game, there's this ability to make decisions during a game that, unless you've done it, most people don't understand.

I've coached for a long time, and I've had a lot of coaches work for me. Lots of people who know the game can't process decisions when they're in it. When I was an athletic director, I hired a buddy of mine to be a JV football coach. He played college football and I've watched lots of football with him, and he seems to know game management, clock management, etc really well. But when he got into his first few games and had to make those decisions on the fly with everybody watching, he couldn't do it. He was terrible, like he didn't know anything about football. He eventually settled down, and as is the case with athletes too, the game started to slow down for him.

Having said all of that, McGhee might be an absolute stud of a play caller right now. I have no idea. I really hope MSU is able to keep him for a very long time in some capacity. I think Choate had to promote Miller before he was fully ready in order to keep him. I think it might take something similar to keep McGhee around, as well as maybe a few more guys. I hope he makes all the right moves, but I don't envy the position Coach Choate is in!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:37 am

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:02 am
...and I don't think the Canadian exchange rate is low enough to get him here financially!

2024 Resume dominance

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:17 pm

Guys, I love McGhee as a player, and person, but what has he done to make himself a viable OC candidate for a top 5 team in the nation?

And please realize that I say this thinking that McGhee has the potential to be an excellent HC some day, but he's also very young, and I don't think he's ready. Let's not forget that not so long ago, he was removed from the QB coach slot to RB coach. He's not a bad coach by any means, but he just doesn't appear to be ready yet.

We absolutely need somebody who has called plays before, whether at the HS or college level. Or at least some assistant who has been around for a while. If Choate was a guy who had been an OC prior, then it would be a different discussion, but right now we just don't have that experience on the coaching staff.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:28 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:17 pm
Guys, I love McGhee as a player, and person, but what has he done to make himself a viable OC candidate for a top 5 team in the nation?

And please realize that I say this thinking that McGhee has the potential to be an excellent HC some day, but he's also very young, and I don't think he's ready. Let's not forget that not so long ago, he was removed from the QB coach slot to RB coach. He's not a bad coach by any means, but he just doesn't appear to be ready yet.

We absolutely need somebody who has called plays before, whether at the HS or college level. Or at least some assistant who has been around for a while. If Choate was a guy who had been an OC prior, then it would be a different discussion, but right now we just don't have that experience on the coaching staff.
What was MM's resume before being named OC? Not arguing, as I honestly don't remember.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:29 pm

Hamdan from UW has been mentioned here and there.

New offensive assistant Bush Hamdan agreed to a two-year deal with an initial salary of $400,000 ($300,000 base plus $100,000), but if he's still on staff on March, 1, 2021, his non-salary compensation increases to $250,000, putting his full salary to $550,000. He made $750,000 last year as Washington’s offensive coordinator.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:32 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:28 pm
bobcat99 wrote:

What was MM's resume before being named OC? Not arguing, as I honestly don't remember.
MSU WR Coach.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:42 pm

catatac wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

And that's a very good point! It wasn't much.

It was also a mid-season switch, so I'm not sure Choate had a lot of options?

Regardless, good point.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:51 pm

catatac wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

1 year as an Offensive Quality Control Assistant at Boise and then 2+ years as MSU's recievers coach. Which shows that there's no way to generically determine when someone is old enough or "ready" enough to become a coordinator. I trust that Coach Choate knows his staff well enough to make the determination whether the best choice is to promote from within, or bring someone in from outside.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:26 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:51 pm
catatac wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

1 year as an Offensive Quality Control Assistant at Boise and then 2+ years as MSU's recievers coach. Which shows that there's no way to generically determine when someone is old enough or "ready" enough to become a coordinator. I trust that Coach Choate knows his staff well enough to make the determination whether the best choice is to promote from within, or bring someone in from outside.
Here are a couple of other guys that are on their first gig as offensive coordinator:

North Dakota State - Tyler Roehl, an All-America running back and four-year letterman at North Dakota State from 2004 to 2008, returned to his alma mater as the tight ends and fullbacks coach in 2014. He was elevated to offensive coordinator in 2019. Between his coaching stints at NDSU, Roehl spent the 2012 and 2013 seasons on the Moorhead High School football staff under former Bison quarterback Kevin Feeney. He was the running backs coach and junior varsity offensive coordinator in 2010 at Concordia College in Moorhead.

South Dakota State - Jason Eck has been handed the reins of the Jackrabbit offense after serving the past three seasons as offensive line coach and run game coordinator. He will continue to coach the team’s offensive linemen. Eck has coached at the collegiate level since 1999, including serving as run game coordinator and offensive line coach at Montana State in 2015. In his lone season with the Bobcats, Eck helped coach an offense that led the Football Championship Subdivision in yards per play (6.82) and ranked fourth in total offense with an average of 519.8 yards per game.

Point being, every offensive coordinator was given an initial chance somewhere. It would seem that McGhee is a smart, driven individual who is very knowledgeable of our players and offense. He has been integral to the success of the offense, recruiting and has been in the middle of the action on the sidelines for the past couple of years. I would be okay with giving him the chance right now. His resume actually appears more developed than when Miller was promoted to OC.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:31 pm

Regarding Denarius, his move to RB coach was a move to enhance his career options. Choate he needs greater exposure and opportunity to learn from a new role.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:41 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:26 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:51 pm
catatac wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Here are a couple of other guys that are on their first gig as offensive coordinator:

North Dakota State - Tyler Roehl, an All-America running back and four-year letterman at North Dakota State from 2004 to 2008, returned to his alma mater as the tight ends and fullbacks coach in 2014. He was elevated to offensive coordinator in 2019. Between his coaching stints at NDSU, Roehl spent the 2012 and 2013 seasons on the Moorhead High School football staff under former Bison quarterback Kevin Feeney. He was the running backs coach and junior varsity offensive coordinator in 2010 at Concordia College in Moorhead.

South Dakota State - Jason Eck has been handed the reins of the Jackrabbit offense after serving the past three seasons as offensive line coach and run game coordinator. He will continue to coach the team’s offensive linemen. Eck has coached at the collegiate level since 1999, including serving as run game coordinator and offensive line coach at Montana State in 2015. In his lone season with the Bobcats, Eck helped coach an offense that led the Football Championship Subdivision in yards per play (6.82) and ranked fourth in total offense with an average of 519.8 yards per game.

Point being, every offensive coordinator was given an initial chance somewhere. It would seem that McGhee is a smart, driven individual who is very knowledgeable of our players and offense. He has been integral to the success of the offense, recruiting and has been in the middle of the action on the sidelines for the past couple of years. I would be okay with giving him the chance right now. His resume actually appears more developed than when Miller was promoted to OC.
The biography on Roehl is contradictory to your statement.

Jason Eck, prior to coaching at Montana State, was the OC at Mankato.

Both of those guys had experience calling plays before their current jobs.