Matt Miller

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Re: Matt Miller

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:01 pm

I freaking love Dennis. Please let it happen.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:02 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:21 pm
Happy for Miller, I think hes a really good young coach. And I'm sure he will be getting a pay raise for the move, plus more opportunities in the future.

Not sure if I'm ready for Denarius, not saying that its a bad idea I just don't know enough about his progress as a coach.
D ain't ready

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:11 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:02 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Happy for Miller, I think hes a really good young coach. And I'm sure he will be getting a pay raise for the move, plus more opportunities in the future.

Not sure if I'm ready for Denarius, not saying that its a bad idea I just don't know enough about his progress as a coach.
D ain't ready
So that means There’s 99% chance that he’s ready, since you said the 99 in your user name means you’re being sarcastic 99% of the time?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:03 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:11 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

D ain't ready
So that means There’s 99% chance that he’s ready, since you said the 99 in your user name means you’re being sarcastic 99% of the time?
It's really anybody's guess.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:05 pm

Who can blame the guy, he is going to be making over $200k at his age. Probably doubled his salary, coaching the position he played at his alma mater. That has to be a dream come true.

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:16 pm

Dennis would be cool. Started here in 1969 as a grad assistant. How cool to finish his career here. My dad is the same age and we run the family business together. He is still sharp as a tack. Pete Carroll is 68. OC might be just the right amount of responsibility. Even I don't let my dad pay the business bills anymore. :lol:

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:17 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:03 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

D ain't ready
So enlightening.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:32 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:17 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:03 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

D ain't ready
So enlightening.
I do my best.

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:36 pm

This is a big loss in my opinion. We did multiple things as our regular part of our offense seamlessly...we will take a step back in our execution.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:25 pm

Bocephus wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:05 pm
Who can blame the guy, he is going to be making over $200k at his age. Probably doubled his salary, coaching the position he played at his alma mater. That has to be a dream come true.
He's taking the next step in his career, excited to see him move up. He'll only gain experience from here and some day we'll all say he started his coaching career @ MSU. Congrats Mr. Miller!

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:27 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:01 pm
I freaking love Dennis. Please let it happen.
This would be a interesting hire, but a 1 year bandaid. Sure he probably doesn't need the money, but if were to go back into coaching it would be for more money.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:32 pm

1984champ wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:58 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:18 pm
PHAT CAT wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:13 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:53 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:51 pm
Hopefully we get one with some experience at the position this time. I thought Matt did well but it would nice to have someone come in who knows exactly how to do the job and but the ground running.
Like this guy?

Dmac and Dennis as Co-OC's. Don't laugh, it could happen.
That is actually a pretty good idea. I could see it happen.

Everyone wants an experienced OC, but that is hard to come by in FCS. If you want to hire an experienced OC, you are looking at guys from a lower division, other FCS programs or FBS castoffs. We just can’t pay enough to bring in an OC from an FBS program. Those guys make more than Choate.
Ash seemed to be able to hire good OCs.
Ash was pretty lucky. He hired OCs that were looking for work. All of them were let go from their last stop.

Tim Cramsey was let go from Florida International before being hired by MSU. Had OC experience at New Hampshire.

Kevin McGiven was let go from Memphis prior to coming to MSU. Had OC experience at Memphis and Weber.

Brian Wright was just let go at Youngstown state along with the whole staff. He was OC.

Dale Ploessl came with Ash from Drake.

There may be an experienced OC out there, but it will probably someone coming from a bad situation unless we hire from a lower Division. It may be a comparable risk to just go with McGhee. The guy has been a staple in our program and can provide some continuity.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:17 am

I figured we would lose one of two coaches this year, Choate or Miller. Both are opening doors to improve and Choate himself said last year when he promoted Miller that he was an up and comer and being a OC probably kept him around a little bit longer.

As much as it sucks to lose a coach to another program (especially a bigger program) it also means that the coach, staff, team and or philosophy is going in the right direction. I would rather see coaches getting opportunities and moving up than not getting offers and staying and staying and staying.

I personally hope that Choate was not just giving us coach speak and enjoys our level of competition, that he believes this is the real college experience where the players play because they love the game but the degree is more important. From day one I felt that Choate wanted to bring the players to MSU and mold the up and coming coaches for the next level. He could appreciate the true value of an FCS program, build the athlete to be the best they can be either in pro sports or professional life but also do the same and give the coaches a chance to develop and grow and become professional as a person and a career. This promotion and many before it makes me respect the talent, and quality of the people that Choate continues to bring through the doors year in and year out. Congrats to coach Miller but also job well done Choate, his fellow coaches and staff to continue to build everyone in the program into the best they can be

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:29 am

catgrad05 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:17 am
I figured we would lose one of two coaches this year, Choate or Miller. Both are opening doors to improve and Choate himself said last year when he promoted Miller that he was an up and comer and being a OC probably kept him around a little bit longer.

As much as it sucks to lose a coach to another program (especially a bigger program) it also means that the coach, staff, team and or philosophy is going in the right direction. I would rather see coaches getting opportunities and moving up than not getting offers and staying and staying and staying.

I personally hope that Choate was not just giving us coach speak and enjoys our level of competition, that he believes this is the real college experience where the players play because they love the game but the degree is more important. From day one I felt that Choate wanted to bring the players to MSU and mold the up and coming coaches for the next level. He could appreciate the true value of an FCS program, build the athlete to be the best they can be either in pro sports or professional life but also do the same and give the coaches a chance to develop and grow and become professional as a person and a career. This promotion and many before it makes me respect the talent, and quality of the people that Choate continues to bring through the doors year in and year out. Congrats to coach Miller but also job well done Choate, his fellow coaches and staff to continue to build everyone in the program into the best they can be
I think both are true. I think choate does love the things that this level of football provide to players. Let's not kid ourselves, though. He's going to be moving up if this program continues to ascend. I don't believe he'll do the Bobby hauck thing and take a job just to take a job, and until Jay hill is gone he'll have competition here in the west. I'll put it this way to close: I believe he would have taken the wazzu job if offered. I think he'd have taken the Boise job if harsin had gone to wazzu. If the right job is offered, he goes IMO, but until then i think he's happy to continue building here.

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:31 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:29 am
catgrad05 wrote:

I think both are true. I think choate does love the things that this level of football provide to players. Let's not kid ourselves, though. He's going to be moving up if this program continues to ascend. I don't believe he'll do the Bobby hauck thing and take a job just to take a job, and until Jay hill is gone he'll have competition here in the west. I'll put it this way to close: I believe he would have taken the wazzu job if offered. I think he'd have taken the Boise job if harsin had gone to wazzu. If the right job is offered, he goes IMO, but until then i think he's happy to continue building here.
Seems very telling that recently in the Big Sky we are seeing former head coaches and successful coordinators move up to FBS and then return to the Big Sky, Hauk, Taylor, Baldwin. Jay Hill has publicly stated that it would have to be a special opportunity for him to leave Weber. The head coaching jobs in the Big Sky at the FCS level seem to be pretty good jobs. If you can build a successful program there is a lot of job security at this level. Not so much at the FBS level. There are coaches at this level with some pretty long runs in there position. I hope Choate realizes that the grass is not always greener and with these former coaches returning to the Big Sky the evidence is there.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:58 am

1984champ wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:31 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:29 am
catgrad05 wrote:

Seems very telling that recently in the Big Sky we are seeing former head coaches and successful coordinators move up to FBS and then return to the Big Sky, Hauk, Taylor, Baldwin. Jay Hill has publicly stated that it would have to be a special opportunity for him to leave Weber. The head coaching jobs in the Big Sky at the FCS level seem to be pretty good jobs. If you can build a successful program there is a lot of job security at this level. Not so much at the FBS level. There are coaches at this level with some pretty long runs in there position. I hope Choate realizes that the grass is not always greener and with these former coaches returning to the Big Sky the evidence is there.
Agreed. Worse ways to spend one's time coaching, I'd think. These guys are so competitive though that the time always comes to find out if they can do it at another level. If they can, then another level yet. The nature of the beast, IMO.

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:14 am

catgrad05 wrote:

Well stated right there .

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:30 am

Just curious, does anyone know what offensive coordinators make at other FCS schools that are not in the CAA, MVFC, or Big Sky? I was wondering if we could poach someone like Christian Taylor (O-Coordinator at the University of San Diego) who might have the prerequisite experience running an offense but still see this as a move up because of the caliber of play and perhaps? salary.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:01 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:30 am
Just curious, does anyone know what offensive coordinators make at other FCS schools that are not in the CAA, MVFC, or Big Sky? I was wondering if we could poach someone like Christian Taylor (O-Coordinator at the University of San Diego) who might have the prerequisite experience running an offense but still see this as a move up because of the caliber of play and perhaps? salary.
I have no idea about salaries. But I have to think this is a pretty sought-after position in our ranks. I assume we'll get some great applicants and Choate has given me no reason to believe he won't make a great hire.

Great for MM as well. I thought he was getting better every week. He's going to be a head coach some day for sure. Wish him all the best.

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:23 pm

A know a Bobcat great who just retired from the CFl and might be looking for a job. :-^ :-^ :-^ :-^ :-^

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing