Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Post Reply
MSU01
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4128
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by MSU01 » Mon May 04, 2020 1:32 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:24 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:55 am
GoCats18 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:07 am
I still think the original design was 1000 times better looking than what they are building. What they are building is 1000 times better than what is there now though. In the end, just happy something is being built. If they finish this though and keep the same scoreboard/video screen....what a waste!! That thing needs to go. I hope they put in something that is bigger and has way better screen quality. Also, can we fix our sound system while we are doing all this?
Which original design are you referring to? The renderings originally released with the Facilities Plan are all of the "finished product" - i.e. the building currently under construction and also the proposed future addition to add a third story to the building and a second building closer to Kagy. I don't see anything in the current renderings to suggest that Phase 1 is significantly different from what it was always supposed to be. Maybe I've missed some renderings along the way.
The plan he might referring too, had end zone seating, "bowled in" with the new building tied to the back of it. What I'm guessing was either suites or the weight room over looking the field above the seat's. That might have been the next phase after, the other end zone had even started.
Yeah, the end zone seating and suites overlooking the field were never intended to be part of this phase of the project. To me the current renderings look a lot like the original renderings if you remove the parts of the building that aren't part of Phase I.


Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

User avatar
Hawks86
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9263
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: MT

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by Hawks86 » Mon May 04, 2020 1:40 pm

I don't think they could put in more than one level (like the SEZ) of seats without covering up the coaches offices view.


"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Image

FTG247365
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:58 pm

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by FTG247365 » Mon May 04, 2020 2:36 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:32 pm
FTG247365 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:24 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:55 am
GoCats18 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:07 am
I still think the original design was 1000 times better looking than what they are building. What they are building is 1000 times better than what is there now though. In the end, just happy something is being built. If they finish this though and keep the same scoreboard/video screen....what a waste!! That thing needs to go. I hope they put in something that is bigger and has way better screen quality. Also, can we fix our sound system while we are doing all this?
Which original design are you referring to? The renderings originally released with the Facilities Plan are all of the "finished product" - i.e. the building currently under construction and also the proposed future addition to add a third story to the building and a second building closer to Kagy. I don't see anything in the current renderings to suggest that Phase 1 is significantly different from what it was always supposed to be. Maybe I've missed some renderings along the way.
The plan he might referring too, had end zone seating, "bowled in" with the new building tied to the back of it. What I'm guessing was either suites or the weight room over looking the field above the seat's. That might have been the next phase after, the other end zone had even started.
Yeah, the end zone seating and suites overlooking the field were never intended to be part of this phase of the project. To me the current renderings look a lot like the original renderings if you remove the parts of the building that aren't part of Phase I.
Makes sense, get the building done first, add seating down the road as the demand or funding is there. Is the indoor practice facility the next phase? As much as I would love to see more seating, a indoor practice facility would benefit more sports.



MSU01
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4128
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by MSU01 » Mon May 04, 2020 2:55 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:36 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:32 pm
FTG247365 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:24 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:55 am
GoCats18 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:07 am
I still think the original design was 1000 times better looking than what they are building. What they are building is 1000 times better than what is there now though. In the end, just happy something is being built. If they finish this though and keep the same scoreboard/video screen....what a waste!! That thing needs to go. I hope they put in something that is bigger and has way better screen quality. Also, can we fix our sound system while we are doing all this?
Which original design are you referring to? The renderings originally released with the Facilities Plan are all of the "finished product" - i.e. the building currently under construction and also the proposed future addition to add a third story to the building and a second building closer to Kagy. I don't see anything in the current renderings to suggest that Phase 1 is significantly different from what it was always supposed to be. Maybe I've missed some renderings along the way.
The plan he might referring too, had end zone seating, "bowled in" with the new building tied to the back of it. What I'm guessing was either suites or the weight room over looking the field above the seat's. That might have been the next phase after, the other end zone had even started.
Yeah, the end zone seating and suites overlooking the field were never intended to be part of this phase of the project. To me the current renderings look a lot like the original renderings if you remove the parts of the building that aren't part of Phase I.
Makes sense, get the building done first, add seating down the road as the demand or funding is there. Is the indoor practice facility the next phase? As much as I would love to see more seating, a indoor practice facility would benefit more sports.
Correct. After Phase I of the new football facility, next on the plan is the Indoor Practice Facility, then replacement of the east side stands at Bobcat Stadium, then the second phase of the football facility which would include expansion of the building and new seating in the north end zone.


Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

AFCAT
Member # Retired
Posts: 2947
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by AFCAT » Mon May 04, 2020 3:22 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:55 pm
FTG247365 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:36 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:32 pm
FTG247365 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:24 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:55 am
GoCats18 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:07 am
I still think the original design was 1000 times better looking than what they are building. What they are building is 1000 times better than what is there now though. In the end, just happy something is being built. If they finish this though and keep the same scoreboard/video screen....what a waste!! That thing needs to go. I hope they put in something that is bigger and has way better screen quality. Also, can we fix our sound system while we are doing all this?
Which original design are you referring to? The renderings originally released with the Facilities Plan are all of the "finished product" - i.e. the building currently under construction and also the proposed future addition to add a third story to the building and a second building closer to Kagy. I don't see anything in the current renderings to suggest that Phase 1 is significantly different from what it was always supposed to be. Maybe I've missed some renderings along the way.
The plan he might referring too, had end zone seating, "bowled in" with the new building tied to the back of it. What I'm guessing was either suites or the weight room over looking the field above the seat's. That might have been the next phase after, the other end zone had even started.
Yeah, the end zone seating and suites overlooking the field were never intended to be part of this phase of the project. To me the current renderings look a lot like the original renderings if you remove the parts of the building that aren't part of Phase I.
Makes sense, get the building done first, add seating down the road as the demand or funding is there. Is the indoor practice facility the next phase? As much as I would love to see more seating, a indoor practice facility would benefit more sports.
Correct. After Phase I of the new football facility, next on the plan is the Indoor Practice Facility, then replacement of the east side stands at Bobcat Stadium, then the second phase of the football facility which would include expansion of the building and new seating in the north end zone.
Actually, I believe that’s changed now. Costello has commented in a couple of interviews about making improvements to the East grandstands as the new phase two. Surprised me, since I thought the indoor was a higher priority.

"The Bobcat Athletics Complex is the first part of MSU’s Athletics Facility Master Plan, a 20-year scheme for renovating and constructing facilities which MSU said includes an indoor performance facility and tennis and golf center.

The second phase of the plan likely includes renovations to the east side of Bobcat Stadium as well as smaller projects, Costello said in October. He added Phase II wouldn’t likely begin quickly, allowing more time for donors to space out contributions and for MSU to plan its next step."


Oh, and expanding the football facility in the future is probably off the table when they increased the size during this phase. Choate talked about that when they announced the facility fundraising goal was reached last year.


Help the Cats! Join the quarterback club!!
https://www.bobcatquarterbackclub.com
Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
406-994-2092

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3565
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:03 pm
Location: Helena

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by KittieKop » Tue May 05, 2020 4:01 pm

I am excited for this addition, regardless the minute details of what it will look like. Whatever the final product, it will be a HUGE addition to the north endzone area and a HUGE boon to both the football program and athletics in general.

We as fans did all the hand wringing during the 2011 endzone construction as well, and that seems to have worked out OK. It'll be 10 years since the EZ construction when the BAC opens in 2021. One large $10-20 million project a decade? Seems to be a reasonably aggressive schedule.


"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Image

User avatar
mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4397
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:44 pm

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by mslacatfan » Tue May 05, 2020 7:32 pm

.....has it been built yet?


FTG- GO CATS GO!

topshelfthepuck
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by topshelfthepuck » Tue May 05, 2020 8:03 pm

I did hear last football season that phase 2 changed directions after the collapse of the gymnasiums and insurance came through for the temporary structures. I believe they are trying to incorporate the new bubbles and repurpose them to use in an indoor practice facility/indoor track. Certainly will take some creative engineering, which we should have in spades, to get it elevated enough to do indoor practices. Biggest change sounded like they would still have kickers working outside to save on the excess heights necessary for them to practice accordingly.



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 13892
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by TomCat88 » Tue May 05, 2020 8:36 pm

topshelfthepuck wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:03 pm
I did hear last football season that phase 2 changed directions after the collapse of the gymnasiums and insurance came through for the temporary structures. I believe they are trying to incorporate the new bubbles and repurpose them to use in an indoor practice facility/indoor track. Certainly will take some creative engineering, which we should have in spades, to get it elevated enough to do indoor practices. Biggest change sounded like they would still have kickers working outside to save on the excess heights necessary for them to practice accordingly.
Do kickers/punters actually do a lot of kicking during practice? I would think that would be hard on your leg. Kind of like a pitchers arm, but worse. That seems like a lot of unnatural torque.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

User avatar
bobcatozzy
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1081
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:05 am

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by bobcatozzy » Wed May 06, 2020 7:07 am

Martel work trailer is outside the stadium 🏟.


Rest In peace dad.

User avatar
Hawks86
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9263
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: MT

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by Hawks86 » Wed May 06, 2020 9:05 am

It will take 2-3 years for the student gyms/wellness center to be built.
What are they going to make one big bubble out of 2? The bubble would have to be as big as the proposed IPF to be effective for football and track.


"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Image

gtapp
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4144
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:09 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by gtapp » Wed May 06, 2020 9:23 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:05 am
It will take 2-3 years for the student gyms/wellness center to be built.
What are they going to make one big bubble out of 2? The bubble would have to be as big as the proposed IPF to be effective for football and track.
Right next to my place the city of Plymouth MN installed a large inflatable dome for soccer and lacrosse. It is larger than a football field and about 45 to 50 feet high. They take the dome off every summer. Not sure what it costs but it is an interesting option that must cost a lot less than a permanent structure.


Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

User avatar
Hawks86
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9263
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: MT

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by Hawks86 » Wed May 06, 2020 9:50 am

gtapp wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:23 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:05 am
It will take 2-3 years for the student gyms/wellness center to be built.
What are they going to make one big bubble out of 2? The bubble would have to be as big as the proposed IPF to be effective for football and track.
Right next to my place the city of Plymouth MN installed a large inflatable dome for soccer and lacrosse. It is larger than a football field and about 45 to 50 feet high. They take the dome off every summer. Not sure what it costs but it is an interesting option that must cost a lot less than a permanent structure.
I fully support the planned IPF so they can have a permanent structure and renovate the fieldhouse. They should have invested in a bubble years ago.


"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Image

FTG247365
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:58 pm

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by FTG247365 » Wed May 06, 2020 12:10 pm

topshelfthepuck wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:03 pm
I did hear last football season that phase 2 changed directions after the collapse of the gymnasiums and insurance came through for the temporary structures. I believe they are trying to incorporate the new bubbles and repurpose them to use in an indoor practice facility/indoor track. Certainly will take some creative engineering, which we should have in spades, to get it elevated enough to do indoor practices. Biggest change sounded like they would still have kickers working outside to save on the excess heights necessary for them to practice accordingly.
in a few years...."Punter files Discrimination Lawsuit for having to kick outside during practice, seeking unspecified damages" Punter Isolation!



Joe Bobcat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1886
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed May 06, 2020 1:38 pm

Yeah punters and kickers you can’t live with them you can’t live without them.


I have reached a point in my life where I feel nothing almost all of the time that I am alive. It's very empowering. --- Colter Nuanez - adopted as a credo by Joe Bobcat because it fits so well

MSU01
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4128
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by MSU01 » Wed May 06, 2020 2:12 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:38 pm
Yeah punters and kickers you can’t live with them you can’t live without them.
As evidenced by the game at EWU from around a decade ago in which MSU was forced to use Zach Minter as its kicker, with either hilarious or disastrous results depending on which team you are a fan of.


Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

Joe Bobcat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1886
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed May 06, 2020 6:25 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:12 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:38 pm
Yeah punters and kickers you can’t live with them you can’t live without them.
As evidenced by the game at EWU from around a decade ago in which MSU was forced to use Zach Minter as its kicker, with either hilarious or disastrous results depending on which team you are a fan of.
perfect example for sure


I have reached a point in my life where I feel nothing almost all of the time that I am alive. It's very empowering. --- Colter Nuanez - adopted as a credo by Joe Bobcat because it fits so well

User avatar
bobcatozzy
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1081
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:05 am

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by bobcatozzy » Thu May 07, 2020 7:46 pm

:D
Last edited by bobcatozzy on Thu May 07, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Rest In peace dad.

User avatar
bobcatozzy
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1081
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:05 am

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by bobcatozzy » Thu May 07, 2020 7:49 pm



Rest In peace dad.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4128
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by MSU01 » Thu May 07, 2020 10:06 pm

bobcatozzy wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:49 pm
I must say I'm a little underwhelmed by this. I'm sure it'll turn out ok in the end but I was envisioning trailers a lot bigger and fancier than what this shows.


Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

Post Reply