Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:50 pm

You could get a turf field and big bubble for probably $3-5 million total if the bare minimum is acceptable.

After a little research. I don't think the athletic department ever said what it was going to cost. It looks very similar to SDSU's which cost $32 million, but that includes things that we will have in the BAC. So my guess would be about $18 million.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:27 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:50 pm
You could get a turf field and big bubble for probably $3-5 million total if the bare minimum is acceptable.

After a little research. I don't think the athletic department ever said what it was going to cost. It looks very similar to SDSU's which cost $32 million, but that includes things that we will have in the BAC. So my guess would be about $18 million.
Better add 25% for BozAngeles construction costs.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:44 pm

The original plan for the indoor facility was to include a 300m indoor track. Would be one of the only 300m indoor facilities in the region I believe they said. Thus the higher price tag (though I had never heard that figure to be clear). The plan is for more than just a big building with some turf.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:44 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:48 am
gtapp wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:58 am
AFCAT wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:12 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:21 pm
Was going to put this in one of the facilities plan threads but didn't want to dig any further, so sorry if it messes up this one.

Was watching the Minnesota/Maryland game this evening, coming back from one of the commercial breaks they were showing video and talking about Maryland's indoor practice facility - they took their old basketball arena, converted to an IPF. So, I know this isn't happening but got me thinking. In the whole facilities plan, how would it work to convert the fieldhouse to an indoor football facility, it's been (mostly, kinda) done in past history.....take out lower seats, leave the bones for offices, meeting rooms, etc, but convert fieldhouse proper to football. You'd think it would be conceivable to engineer possibility of rodeo still working inside as well. Track? Maybe? AND, instead build a fresh basketball facility. Seems to be regular discussion about the fieldhouse being unsuitable for basketball these days/too large/too cavernous/too something.

What would the economics look like compared the advertised plans for an IPF/indoor track with facilities and seating? Would it be feasible? Would it be a facilities improvement or worse than the current plan? I know it's not happening......just something to discuss in the dead period!
Just a bit if trivia: When they were originally planning for the field house, they thought about making it large enough for football, but that fell through. They already use the Brick for indoor track.

What would the cost be to build a new basketball only facility? Idaho’s new basketball facility cost $51 million and only seats 4200 people. The new indoor practice facility the Bobcats have planned was estimated to cost around $35 million, which is remarkable considering it’s basically just a giant warehouse.
I thought the indoor facility for football was going to cost $17M. I remember in the Kramer era is about $16M for one.
Yeah, $35 million sounds really, really high. I found this online. Granted, it's from a college paper, but researched and cited anyway!

"Luckily, such a facility exists—the Watson and Tressel Training Site (WATTS) at Youngstown State University in Ohio. Like MSU, Youngstown St. competes at the FCS level, making it a comparable university. The $12.3 million indoor practice facility was completed in the fall of 2011 and it includes a synthetic turf system football field, a 300-meter track surface,two long jump pits, a high-jump pit, four batting cages, protective netting, a training room and locker rooms (Watson and Tressel, 2012). These features are similar to what MSU would want and since this facility was completed recently, it would be a good estimated value for the facility MSU could build. Thus, $12.3 million is the estimated value for the initial construction costs of an indoor practice facility."
The $35 million is what I remember being quoted back when they started this process. I believe it was $25 million for the East Grand Stands and $16 million for the football facility. That $16 million was upped to $18 million when it was all said and done. I believe NDSU is paying upwards of $37 million for their indoor practice facility. I agree that the MSU indoor should really cost around $12-15 million, but I haven't worked in the construction industry since the early 1980s and that was just delivering lumber.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

stevo
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by stevo » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:20 pm

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:26 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:44 pm
KittieKop wrote:
gtapp wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
Was going to put this in one of the facilities plan threads but didn't want to dig any further, so sorry if it messes up this one.

Was watching the Minnesota/Maryland game this evening, coming back from one of the commercial breaks they were showing video and talking about Maryland's indoor practice facility - they took their old basketball arena, converted to an IPF. So, I know this isn't happening but got me thinking. In the whole facilities plan, how would it work to convert the fieldhouse to an indoor football facility, it's been (mostly, kinda) done in past history.....take out lower seats, leave the bones for offices, meeting rooms, etc, but convert fieldhouse proper to football. You'd think it would be conceivable to engineer possibility of rodeo still working inside as well. Track? Maybe? AND, instead build a fresh basketball facility. Seems to be regular discussion about the fieldhouse being unsuitable for basketball these days/too large/too cavernous/too something.

What would the economics look like compared the advertised plans for an IPF/indoor track with facilities and seating? Would it be feasible? Would it be a facilities improvement or worse than the current plan? I know it's not happening......just something to discuss in the dead period!
Just a bit if trivia: When they were originally planning for the field house, they thought about making it large enough for football, but that fell through. They already use the Brick for indoor track.

What would the cost be to build a new basketball only facility? Idaho’s new basketball facility cost $51 million and only seats 4200 people. The new indoor practice facility the Bobcats have planned was estimated to cost around $35 million, which is remarkable considering it’s basically just a giant warehouse.
I thought the indoor facility for football was going to cost $17M. I remember in the Kramer era is about $16M for one.
Yeah, $35 million sounds really, really high. I found this online. Granted, it's from a college paper, but researched and cited anyway!

"Luckily, such a facility exists—the Watson and Tressel Training Site (WATTS) at Youngstown State University in Ohio. Like MSU, Youngstown St. competes at the FCS level, making it a comparable university. The $12.3 million indoor practice facility was completed in the fall of 2011 and it includes a synthetic turf system football field, a 300-meter track surface,two long jump pits, a high-jump pit, four batting cages, protective netting, a training room and locker rooms (Watson and Tressel, 2012). These features are similar to what MSU would want and since this facility was completed recently, it would be a good estimated value for the facility MSU could build. Thus, $12.3 million is the estimated value for the initial construction costs of an indoor practice facility."
The $35 million is what I remember being quoted back when they started this process. I believe it was $25 million for the East Grand Stands and $16 million for the football facility. That $16 million was upped to $18 million when it was all said and done. I believe NDSU is paying upwards of $37 million for their indoor practice facility. I agree that the MSU indoor should really cost around $12-15 million, but I haven't worked in the construction industry since the early 1980s and that was just delivering lumber.

Looking at the NDSU facility, it looks like their plans include a ton of stuff being included at MSU in the BAC being built right now, like locker rooms, training and meeting facilities. Plus the addition of two turf fields and a bunch of other stuff. I would continue to say the MSU facility would be much closer in scale to the Youngstown facility mentioned in the other quote, and I'd still think would be closer to the $12-20 million range than nearly $40 million of the NDSU facility.

https://gobison.com/facilities/indoor-f ... acility/41

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:32 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:26 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:44 pm
KittieKop wrote:
gtapp wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
KittieKop wrote:

Looking at the NDSU facility, it looks like their plans include a ton of stuff being included at MSU in the BAC being built right now, like locker rooms, training and meeting facilities. Plus the addition of two turf fields and a bunch of other stuff. I would continue to say the MSU facility would be much closer in scale to the Youngstown facility mentioned in the other quote, and I'd still think would be closer to the $12-20 million range than nearly $40 million of the NDSU facility.

https://gobison.com/facilities/indoor-f ... acility/41
I know that our AD and President Cruzado spent time touring the SDSU facilities to get ideas. I toured their indoor practice facility. It looked like what we need and was pretty simple. Probably in that $15M-$20M price range.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

stevo

Post by stevo » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:07 pm

Pouring alot of concrete floor on the first floor.
What is the orange fabric or something they are putting down on the second floor?

stevo

Post by stevo » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:39 am

stevo wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:07 pm
Pouring alot of concrete floor on the first floor.
What is the orange fabric or something they are putting down on the second floor?
covered it up with blankets now.

stevo

Post by stevo » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:34 pm

Can any one tell me if they have all the first floor concrete poured?
I can not tell from the camera. When do I get a camera inside the building?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:00 pm

stevo wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:34 pm
Can any one tell me if they have all the first floor concrete poured?
I can not tell from the camera. When do I get a camera inside the building?
No, they don't. I can't see on the other side of the wall (weight room area), but I'm pretty sure that pad isn't poured and the entrance area through the fueling station area also isn't poured yet.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

stevo

Post by stevo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:32 am

Looks like an early start this morning for the men. Pour #1 Second floor.

stevo

Post by stevo » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:30 am

Pump truck is on site. Pouring the floor on the center section of the second floor.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:56 am

Stevo: can you attach the webcam to your original post in this thread? That way we can consolidate the two threads. Every time someone posts here, we have to go find the webcam thread to see what's going on and sometimes it's buried way down the page or on another page. If you put the webcam in your original post, then it's just one quick click away. Just a suggestion. Thanks and thanks for the updates.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:56 am

stevo wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:30 am
Pump truck is on site. Pouring the floor on the center section of the second floor.
A little warmer there today, good for an early start.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:54 pm

still have 1/3 of the 1st floor to pour and 2/3 of the upper floor. Hope they can pour in all kinds of weather so they can move to the next steps.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:37 pm

gtapp wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:54 pm
still have 1/3 of the 1st floor to pour and 2/3 of the upper floor. Hope they can pour in all kinds of weather so they can move to the next steps.
They just poured the middle section of the second floor this morning and only have the last third of that floor to pour. They can pour in almost any kind of weather.

stevo

Post by stevo » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:13 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:56 am
Stevo: can you attach the webcam to your original post in this thread? That way we can consolidate the two threads. Every time someone posts here, we have to go find the webcam thread to see what's going on and sometimes it's buried way down the page or on another page. If you put the webcam in your original post, then it's just one quick click away. Just a suggestion. Thanks and thanks for the updates.
Good idea. :shock:
Done! 8)

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:00 am

stevo wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:13 am
iaafan wrote:
Done! 8)
:thumbup: \:D/

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:04 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:00 am
stevo wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:13 am
iaafan wrote:
Done! 8)
:thumbup: \:D/
WHAT? If they don't have it bookmarked by now they wear pink.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back