Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bobcat Athletic Complex...Construction

Post by iaafan » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:22 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:24 pm
norcal cat wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:38 pm
stevo wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:21 am
Looking at the steel beams they have up so far, it looks like they added some more second floor space that was not on the plans that went out to bid.
I am looking at the west side of the buildings where the staircase goes down to the Laundry facility.
The steel columns west of the stairs are there to support the tall parapet that wraps around and conceals some of the rooftop HVAC units.
Yup.

This image makes the facility look small. Like it's only about 60 feet wide and 20 feet tall. In reality the ends extend about 20 feet beyond the sidelines (width of football field is 160 feet) on each side, which makes the facility about 200 feet wide. I believe it's about 35 feet tall. The crossbar for the goal posts is 10 feet high.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:01 am

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bobcatozzy
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bobcatozzy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:37 pm

Future seating would go from field level up to the second level windows.

Rest In peace dad.

Brad_CAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Brad_CAT » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:21 pm

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:49 am

Brad_CAT wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:21 pm
Looking great! Thanks for posting.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:29 am

Why is the sideline turf pulled back?

Hating the griz since 02.

stevo
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by stevo » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:38 am

btribby wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:29 am
Why is the sideline turf pulled back?
They have been having some drainage issues on the field. They are trying to fix that. IF we end up playing and practicing in the middle of winter they want to make sure the snow that melts does not pond up and create a frozen pond in areas.
Last edited by stevo on Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:08 am

Anybody got around $3-4 million for a heated field and a practice bubble?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:44 am

Looks like the top of the BAC will be about even with the bottom of the big screen or slightly higher.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:18 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:08 am
Anybody got around $3-4 million for a heated field and a practice bubble?
Let me check my Power Ball numbers...

bobcatozzy

Post by bobcatozzy » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:02 pm

Rest In peace dad.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:21 pm

Was going to put this in one of the facilities plan threads but didn't want to dig any further, so sorry if it messes up this one.

Was watching the Minnesota/Maryland game this evening, coming back from one of the commercial breaks they were showing video and talking about Maryland's indoor practice facility - they took their old basketball arena, converted to an IPF. So, I know this isn't happening but got me thinking. In the whole facilities plan, how would it work to convert the fieldhouse to an indoor football facility, it's been (mostly, kinda) done in past history.....take out lower seats, leave the bones for offices, meeting rooms, etc, but convert fieldhouse proper to football. You'd think it would be conceivable to engineer possibility of rodeo still working inside as well. Track? Maybe? AND, instead build a fresh basketball facility. Seems to be regular discussion about the fieldhouse being unsuitable for basketball these days/too large/too cavernous/too something.

What would the economics look like compared the advertised plans for an IPF/indoor track with facilities and seating? Would it be feasible? Would it be a facilities improvement or worse than the current plan? I know it's not happening......just something to discuss in the dead period!

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:12 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:21 pm
Was going to put this in one of the facilities plan threads but didn't want to dig any further, so sorry if it messes up this one.

Was watching the Minnesota/Maryland game this evening, coming back from one of the commercial breaks they were showing video and talking about Maryland's indoor practice facility - they took their old basketball arena, converted to an IPF. So, I know this isn't happening but got me thinking. In the whole facilities plan, how would it work to convert the fieldhouse to an indoor football facility, it's been (mostly, kinda) done in past history.....take out lower seats, leave the bones for offices, meeting rooms, etc, but convert fieldhouse proper to football. You'd think it would be conceivable to engineer possibility of rodeo still working inside as well. Track? Maybe? AND, instead build a fresh basketball facility. Seems to be regular discussion about the fieldhouse being unsuitable for basketball these days/too large/too cavernous/too something.

What would the economics look like compared the advertised plans for an IPF/indoor track with facilities and seating? Would it be feasible? Would it be a facilities improvement or worse than the current plan? I know it's not happening......just something to discuss in the dead period!
Just a bit if trivia: When they were originally planning for the field house, they thought about making it large enough for football, but that fell through. They already use the Brick for indoor track.

What would the cost be to build a new basketball only facility? Idaho’s new basketball facility cost $51 million and only seats 4200 people. The new indoor practice facility the Bobcats have planned was estimated to cost around $35 million, which is remarkable considering it’s basically just a giant warehouse.
Last edited by AFCAT on Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:13 am

KittieKop wrote:

I like it. I like it a lot.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:04 am

They would have to install turf on the entire floor of the Brick to make it work for football. Which would leave the track team without an indoor track.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:46 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:04 am
They would have to install turf on the entire floor of the Brick to make it work for football. Which would leave the track team without an indoor track.
They roll out the turf at the dome in Pocatello so I think that would work in the Brick.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:12 am

Another question....anyone know if there are plans to have a Bobcat Sports shop in the BAC where we could buy Bobcat gear? I've seen some other schools do this and it seems popular. The shop would be open all the time...not just game days. Might free up some room in the bookstore too.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:15 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:46 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:04 am
They roll out the turf at the dome in Pocatello so I think that would work in the Brick.
Their track is similar to our old system. It's designed to be built over the turf and then taken down after meets. I like how our indoor track team can get practice in at anytime at the Brick or the new IPF. I'd really like to see some actual plans on what they are going to do to the Brick after the IPF is built.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:58 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:12 pm
KittieKop wrote:

Just a bit if trivia: When they were originally planning for the field house, they thought about making it large enough for football, but that fell through. They already use the Brick for indoor track.

What would the cost be to build a new basketball only facility? Idaho’s new basketball facility cost $51 million and only seats 4200 people. The new indoor practice facility the Bobcats have planned was estimated to cost around $35 million, which is remarkable considering it’s basically just a giant warehouse.
I thought the indoor facility for football was going to cost $17M. I remember in the Kramer era is about $16M for one.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:48 am

gtapp wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:58 am
AFCAT wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:12 pm
KittieKop wrote:

I thought the indoor facility for football was going to cost $17M. I remember in the Kramer era is about $16M for one.
Yeah, $35 million sounds really, really high. I found this online. Granted, it's from a college paper, but researched and cited anyway!

"Luckily, such a facility exists—the Watson and Tressel Training Site (WATTS) at Youngstown State University in Ohio. Like MSU, Youngstown St. competes at the FCS level, making it a comparable university. The $12.3 million indoor practice facility was completed in the fall of 2011 and it includes a synthetic turf system football field, a 300-meter track surface,two long jump pits, a high-jump pit, four batting cages, protective netting, a training room and locker rooms (Watson and Tressel, 2012). These features are similar to what MSU would want and since this facility was completed recently, it would be a good estimated value for the facility MSU could build. Thus, $12.3 million is the estimated value for the initial construction costs of an indoor practice facility."

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?