Final Polls

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Final Polls

Post by NorthernPlains » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:28 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:28 pm
Doesn't NDSU play Oregon next year? If so they will have at least one loss. If MSU doesn't have any that could move us ahead of them.

If MSU beats Utah, and ND St loses to Oregon, then yes they could flip positions. Typically an FCS doesn't get penalized for losing to and FBS. Yet in that case (cats win-bison lose) it could shuffle things. However I'm not holding my breath

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by robgriz » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:53 pm

gtfcat84 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:51 pm
I would think so. Also pretty cool that four Big Sky teams finished in the top 10.
That is pretty cool. I wonder if that has ever happened before? If so I can’t remember it.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:51 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Doesn't NDSU play Oregon next year? If so they will have at least one loss. If MSU doesn't have any that could move us ahead of them.
I doubt they lose to Oregon. I like the Ducks, but they weren’t that good this year and won a weak PAC 10. They’ll end up third-fourth in North. Lose starting QB and five other starters on offense. Defense will get worn out.

They also have the distraction of playing Ohio State the following week.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:12 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:51 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
I doubt they lose to Oregon. I like the Ducks, but they weren’t that good this year and won a weak PAC 10. They’ll end up third-fourth in North. Lose starting QB and five other starters on offense. Defense will get worn out.

You can’t be serious. I mean, I know you talk tongue-in-cheek a lot, but the glorification of ndsu has got to end. Oregon was the 5th or 6th best team in the country this year. If you watched them play, that was not a “normal” weak/soft Oregon team, their defense was awesome this year. They have speed like no one else west of the Mississippi. They’ll wax ndsu by 20-30 points.

Your 2nd statement is, however, exactly why ndsu (and every other FCS team that has won a play-up game) has had the level of success they have had in those games. Despite winning, and winning, and winning, they are still overlooked and teams are distracted looking forward to their next game. It happens. How someone overlooks ndsu is beyond me, they have earned more respect than that, but it continues to happen as it is purely human nature. They also tend to play crappy Midwest teams that don’t score a lot of points, which helps.

GO CATS GO!!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:16 am

BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:12 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:

You can’t be serious. I mean, I know you talk tongue-in-cheek a lot, but the glorification of ndsu has got to end. Oregon was the 5th or 6th best team in the country this year. If you watched them play, that was not a “normal” weak/soft Oregon team, their defense was awesome this year. They have speed like no one else west of the Mississippi. They’ll wax ndsu by 20-30 points.

Your 2nd statement is, however, exactly why ndsu (and every other FCS team that has won a play-up game) has had the level of success they have had in those games. Despite winning, and winning, and winning, they are still overlooked and teams are distracted looking forward to their next game. It happens. How someone overlooks ndsu is beyond me, they have earned more respect than that, but it continues to happen as it is purely human nature. They also tend to play crappy Midwest teams that don’t score a lot of points, which helps.
You’ve got Oregon winning by 20-30 and are claiming I’m not serious? Heaven help us all. :lol:

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:54 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:16 am
BozoneCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:

You’ve got Oregon winning by 20-30 and are claiming I’m not serious? Heaven help us all. :lol:
Well, considering they beat Nevada 77-6, Montana 35-3, USC 56-24, and Utah 37-15 this year, I don't think expecting them to beat a lower division team by 20-30 points is really that far a reach.

GO CATS GO!!!

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:43 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:54 am
TomCat88 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:

Well, considering they beat Nevada 77-6, Montana 35-3, USC 56-24, and Utah 37-15 this year, I don't think expecting them to beat a lower division team by 20-30 points is really that far a reach.
Oregon beat Montana by 32
MSU beat Montana by 34
NDSU beat MSU by 28

So NDSU will beat Oregon by 30 points :wink:

I think this will actually be a game. I would favor Oregon, but wouldn't be surprised if NDSU won. NDSU has won six in a row against FBS teams, and are 9-3 overall since moving up from DII against FBS teams.

They have beat ranked FBS teams before. In fact, more than they've lost to ranked FBS teams!

I remember well when Lou Holtz predicted NDSU to beat K-State (when they were defending Big 12 champs, in the mix for the BCS title game, AND went on that year to beat Michigan in a bowl game)

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:21 pm

JDoub wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:43 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:54 am
TomCat88 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:

Oregon beat Montana by 32
MSU beat Montana by 34
NDSU beat MSU by 28

So NDSU will beat Oregon by 30 points :wink:

I think this will actually be a game. I would favor Oregon, but wouldn't be surprised if NDSU won. NDSU has won six in a row against FBS teams, and are 9-3 overall since moving up from DII against FBS teams.

They have beat ranked FBS teams before. In fact, more than they've lost to ranked FBS teams!

I remember well when Lou Holtz predicted NDSU to beat K-State (when they were defending Big 12 champs, in the mix for the BCS title game, AND went on that year to beat Michigan in a bowl game)
I'll eat crow all day if NDSU wins, or if it's even relatively close. And I'm not saying that Oregon will beat them by 70 or anything crazy. I think the final score will look a little closer than it actually is, as Oregon will probably be able to build a big lead and will get 2nd/3rd string guys some reps and rest starters in anticipation for Ohio State. It's generally much harder for FCS teams to stay competitive with explosive, high-scoring offensive FBS teams (see: MSU vs. Texas Tech), as opposed to lower-scoring, defensive-minded teams (see: MSU vs. Oklahoma State back then). The athletes that Oregon is rolling out is on a completely different level than anything in FCS.

GO CATS GO!!!

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:18 pm

NorthernPlains wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:28 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:

If MSU beats Utah, and ND St loses to Oregon, then yes they could flip positions. Typically an FCS doesn't get penalized for losing to and FBS. Yet in that case (cats win-bison lose) it could shuffle things. However I'm not holding my breath
I would agree with the statement in Bold above to a point. If you lose to a Power 5 FBS team, no. If you lose to UTEP or Akron badly then maybe.

I think the indirect penalty for losing to a FBS program is the fact that you are forgoing a chance to play another FCS team. Most years when there is an 11 game season, IF your FCS team schedules 11 FCS opponents they have 11 chances for FCS wins. IF your team plays an FBS team, or 2 like Idaho State does, then you only have 9 or 10 chances....1 or 2 less than some of your conference opponents. I don't mind playing an FBS team in a 12 game season, that makes sense to me. But to play them in an 11 game season when we consistently average ~18k attendance you'd think we could afford to have 11 FCS games every season.

The only thing worse to me than playing an FBS opponent in an 11 game season is playing a DII team....but don't get me started.

I don't see us beating Utah (I'm plannin' on making the game and hope it's competitive), and I don't see NDSU beating the Ducks.

Regarding the Final Poll.....it's ironic that we play the jizz head to head the last game of the season and give them a beat down you wouldn't want to subject pinata to, but yet we're only 1 or 2 above them in the polls. I could see a valid argument for us being above Weber, but it's only a poll so not a big deal.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:10 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:18 pm

Regarding the Final Poll.....it's ironic that we play the jizz head to head the last game of the season and give them a beat down you wouldn't want to subject pinata to, but yet we're only 1 or 2 above them in the polls. I could see a valid argument for us being above Weber, but it's only a poll so not a big deal.
You think thats bad, this poll has the griz ABOVE us!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/18221

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:18 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:10 pm
The MICKSTER wrote:

That's just the power rankings though. Based on a whole slew of factors including SOS. We are #4 in Jason's final Top 25.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:02 pm

The final Sagarin ratings give Oregon about 15 points + 3 points for home field advantage over NDSU, so 2-3 scores. Oregon is rated #6 by the complex computer algorithm, and NDSU is #31, just ahead of #32 Boise State. Personnel will change by next year, but this is a pretty good ballpark idea of what could happen. Montana State is #87, Montana is #90, out of 256 D-I teams. The Oregon Ducks are rated at 29 + 3 = 32 points over the Bobcats.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:19 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:18 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:10 pm
The MICKSTER wrote:

That's just the power rankings though. Based on a whole slew of factors including SOS. We are #4 in Jason's final Top 25.
It's hard to take a power ranking seriously when it ranks the Colonial ahead of the Big Sky.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:50 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:02 pm
The final Sagarin ratings give Oregon about 15 points + 3 points for home field advantage over NDSU, so 2-3 scores. Oregon is rated #6 by the complex computer algorithm, and NDSU is #31, just ahead of #32 Boise State. Personnel will change by next year, but this is a pretty good ballpark idea of what could happen. Montana State is #87, Montana is #90, out of 256 D-I teams. The Oregon Ducks are rated at 29 + 3 = 32 points over the Bobcats.
Interesting. Since we play Utah and I don't know how Sagarin works, how are the Utes rated compared to the Cats?

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:52 am

Long Time Cat wrote:Interesting. Since we play Utah and I don't know how Sagarin works, how are the Utes rated compared to the Cats?
Sure, no problem. I also just noticed that Weber is rated #88, so three Big Sky teams almost on top of each other at 87, 88, and 90. No wonder why games are so unpredictable. Basically home team wins.

Utah is rated at #20, is a 19.8 point favorite over MSU + 3 for home = 22.8 or roughly a 3 score favorite on the field of play.

Overall, not so bad. Idaho is a 35 + 3 = 38 point underdog to Utah, and they are still ahead of some of the mighty Sun Belt teams.

By the way, the Sagarin computer conference ratings has the MVFC at #21, the Big Sky at #22, and the CAA at #23. All the FCS conferences as a whole trail all the FBS conferences or conference divisions. This is not true at all for individual teams where many FCS teams are rated higher than one or more FBS teams. Montana State is rated ahead of 46 FBS teams.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:52 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:52 am
Long Time Cat wrote:Interesting. Since we play Utah and I don't know how Sagarin works, how are the Utes rated compared to the Cats?
Sure, no problem. I also just noticed that Weber is rated #88, so three Big Sky teams almost on top of each other at 87, 88, and 90. No wonder why games are so unpredictable. Basically home team wins.

Utah is rated at #20, is a 19.8 point favorite over MSU + 3 for home = 22.8 or roughly a 3 score favorite on the field of play.

Overall, not so bad. Idaho is a 35 + 3 = 38 point underdog to Utah, and they are still ahead of some of the mighty Sun Belt teams.

By the way, the Sagarin computer conference ratings has the MVFC at #21, the Big Sky at #22, and the CAA at #23. All the FCS conferences as a whole trail all the FBS conferences or conference divisions. This is not true at all for individual teams where many FCS teams are rated higher than one or more FBS teams. Montana State is rated ahead of 46 FBS teams.
THNX!

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi