NDSU-JMU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: NDSU-JMU

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:52 am

I think LSU is the perfect example of how teams can disrupt dynasties. Yes, I know NDSU has FCOA and others don't. Yes, I know NDSU's dynasty is more dominant than Alabama's, but there was a time when I didn't think anybody would be able to compete with Alabama or Clemson other than each other. I think you catch lightning in a bottle with a QB and a passing game coordinator, and suddenly you look like you're considerably better than those programs. Somebody, whether it's MSU or any one of about 8 other schools, is a piece like that away. A year ago nobody was talking about LSU as a legitimate candidate to dethrone Alabama or Clemson. If they were talking about it they weren't getting much air time. Enter Joe Brady and Joe Burrow, and they were unstoppable. I don't know what that part is for MSU necessarily, but I think it's a possibility for somebody to knock NDSU off. There's going to be some genius somewhere that comes up with something, or there's going to be a transcendent player or two that take a team over the top. NDSU has superior athletes, yes, but so did Clemson last night at many positions. NDSU is the best, and MSU needs to just get better, but it's possible if things keep moving in the right direction.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:09 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:40 am
Who the hell is Greg Menard?
Their stud DL who graduated last year.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:57 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:10 pm
onceacat wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:41 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:32 pm
onceacat wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:24 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:52 pm
onceacat wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:29 pm
NorthernPlains wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:53 pm
onceacat wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:49 am
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:09 am
Trey Lance turned down Boise State for Ndsu. But you're right about the others.
The announcers during the game said that Boise offered really late...I think they said the last day before early signing. And Boise still isn't a power 5 school. MSU is recruiting a similar talent pool to NDSU...lots of 2-3 star dudes & guys with offers to lower tier FBS programs. Its not like they are going head to head to recruit the same players as the big boys.

My point really is that NDSU is doing something on a different level when it comes to player development.

Obviously they have a great "program" going. For the most part they have had one for decades. Though with Trey Lance it wasn't some special NDSU player development. The kid is a freshman and has a natural exceptional skill set. No Dakota St simply utilized what he brought to the table.

The player development NDSU does is 1. Recruit kids into the system out of high school rather than chasing any drop downs. 2. Red shirt them and look at starting 22 or 23 year olds who have four or five years learning and running the system. Finally they have had coaching changes (coach #3 in a decade) but the 'new' coach was already in their program and he continues with the same 'system'. It wasn't a jump from Kramer to Ash to Choate. That alone makes a hell of a difference.

I think the difference in the quality of recruits is the "winning factor". They are going to get most of the cream of the crop when they're pointing to 3, 4, 5 or 8 current championships. Fargo is not a great place for a kid comparing colleges. However, NDSU is a great place for a kid looking to play a high level of football and have a chance to get some attention. That is a edge they have over everyone else.
Honestly, I still don't understand how a 6-4 195 QB who is the #1 recruit in Minnesota doesn't have a decent scholarship offer other than a last second one from Boise (unless he had decided on NDSU a long time ago).

Other than that, I 100% agree, except that Fargo-Moorhead is widely considered to be a GREAT college town. Fargo almost always makes the "Top College Towns" list. Not my cup of tea, personally, but I've known a lot of people who've gone to school there.
And perhaps therein lies the issue. Not only is NDSU located in a great, affordable college town, but I'd venture to say many of those people you know who have gone to school there are actually living the dream with good jobs and a great life due to a relatively low cost of living. How the hell can anyone remain in Montana with their salaries and the cost of living? Most who go to NDSU have a lot more common sense than we like to give them credit for.
Yep. Lots of good jobs in Fargo or the Cities where you can save up your money for 10 or 15 years, then be able to afford a house in Bozeman.
Rather live in Belgrade than Bozeangeles...Heck, I'd rather live in Willow Creek or Cardwell than that hell hole. Ennis or Pony. Even Toston...
The rapidly increasing prices in Bozeman suggest that you have an unpopular opinion that isn't shared by the market! :wink:
Last year Denver had 400k people move there. Mike Hayter's place a block from Coors Field is a perfect example of better opportunities. I'd take a SWAG and bet there are more MSU graduates living in the state of Colorado than the entire state of Montana, possibly the greater Denver metropolitan area. The point being, NDSU graduates can and do find reasonable employment IN THEIR FIELD near their college with a reasonable cost of living. Now, outside of the Madison River Brewery's Copper John's Ale or the Kettlehouse Breweries Cold Smoke, I don't think many Montana brewers can match that out of North Dakota and Minnesota. Anyone from Montana willingly concedes to a better beer, right? That's what North Dakota State has over MSU right now. Waded has to up the brewfests!

That is just one state. Think of the other locations expatriated Montanans have moved to but still proudly wear all their gear and flock to viewing games but nobody from MSU ever shows up...
I was with you up until you said that "Montana Brewers can't match up with ND or MN"... :sick:

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:52 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:57 am
Stay classy NDSU:

Seriously, is there a collective group of people who have had more wins that is as full of entitled, whiny crybabies as NDSU? Usually, it's just a bunch of keyboard tough guys and jock-sniffing wannabes, but in NDSU's case, it's the players and coaches. Learn how to win with some class... lord knows they've had more than enough practice.

GO CATS GO!!!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:13 pm

onceacat wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:57 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
onceacat wrote:
NorthernPlains wrote:
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:09 am
Trey Lance turned down Boise State for Ndsu. But you're right about the others.
The announcers during the game said that Boise offered really late...I think they said the last day before early signing. And Boise still isn't a power 5 school. MSU is recruiting a similar talent pool to NDSU...lots of 2-3 star dudes & guys with offers to lower tier FBS programs. Its not like they are going head to head to recruit the same players as the big boys.

My point really is that NDSU is doing something on a different level when it comes to player development.

Obviously they have a great "program" going. For the most part they have had one for decades. Though with Trey Lance it wasn't some special NDSU player development. The kid is a freshman and has a natural exceptional skill set. No Dakota St simply utilized what he brought to the table.

The player development NDSU does is 1. Recruit kids into the system out of high school rather than chasing any drop downs. 2. Red shirt them and look at starting 22 or 23 year olds who have four or five years learning and running the system. Finally they have had coaching changes (coach #3 in a decade) but the 'new' coach was already in their program and he continues with the same 'system'. It wasn't a jump from Kramer to Ash to Choate. That alone makes a hell of a difference.

I think the difference in the quality of recruits is the "winning factor". They are going to get most of the cream of the crop when they're pointing to 3, 4, 5 or 8 current championships. Fargo is not a great place for a kid comparing colleges. However, NDSU is a great place for a kid looking to play a high level of football and have a chance to get some attention. That is a edge they have over everyone else.
Honestly, I still don't understand how a 6-4 195 QB who is the #1 recruit in Minnesota doesn't have a decent scholarship offer other than a last second one from Boise (unless he had decided on NDSU a long time ago).

Other than that, I 100% agree, except that Fargo-Moorhead is widely considered to be a GREAT college town. Fargo almost always makes the "Top College Towns" list. Not my cup of tea, personally, but I've known a lot of people who've gone to school there.
And perhaps therein lies the issue. Not only is NDSU located in a great, affordable college town, but I'd venture to say many of those people you know who have gone to school there are actually living the dream with good jobs and a great life due to a relatively low cost of living. How the hell can anyone remain in Montana with their salaries and the cost of living? Most who go to NDSU have a lot more common sense than we like to give them credit for.
Yep. Lots of good jobs in Fargo or the Cities where you can save up your money for 10 or 15 years, then be able to afford a house in Bozeman.
Rather live in Belgrade than Bozeangeles...Heck, I'd rather live in Willow Creek or Cardwell than that hell hole. Ennis or Pony. Even Toston...
The rapidly increasing prices in Bozeman suggest that you have an unpopular opinion that isn't shared by the market! :wink:
Last year Denver had 400k people move there. Mike Hayter's place a block from Coors Field is a perfect example of better opportunities. I'd take a SWAG and bet there are more MSU graduates living in the state of Colorado than the entire state of Montana, possibly the greater Denver metropolitan area. The point being, NDSU graduates can and do find reasonable employment IN THEIR FIELD near their college with a reasonable cost of living. Now, outside of the Madison River Brewery's Copper John's Ale or the Kettlehouse Breweries Cold Smoke, I don't think many Montana brewers can match that out of North Dakota and Minnesota. Anyone from Montana willingly concedes to a better beer, right? That's what North Dakota State has over MSU right now. Waded has to up the brewfests!

That is just one state. Think of the other locations expatriated Montanans have moved to but still proudly wear all their gear and flock to viewing games but nobody from MSU ever shows up...
I was with you up until you said that "Montana Brewers can't match up with ND or MN"... :sick:
Seriously, I think Cold Smoke and Copper John's are the very best ales on the planet; however, the brewfests in so many other parts of the country put most of ours to shame.

I'd like to see a part of Bobcat Stadium become a brewery and steakhouse, all part of MSU's curriculum. Get Timothy O'Leary over to teach a couple classes, especially on gameday. We already have a great connection with the Rocking R. Keep growing the academic side of it and tie in what everybody who ever attended MSU enjoyed about it...some more than others...

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:37 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:52 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Stay classy NDSU:

Seriously, is there a collective group of people who have had more wins that is as full of entitled, whiny crybabies as NDSU? Usually, it's just a bunch of keyboard tough guys and jock-sniffing wannabes, but in NDSU's case, it's the players and coaches. Learn how to win with some class... lord knows they've had more than enough practice.
Besides JMU was good enough to NDSU. They didn't do it but IMHO they were good enough.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Lydell
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Lydell » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:28 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:37 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:52 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Stay classy NDSU:

Besides JMU was good enough to NDSU. They didn't do it but IMHO they were good enough.
You bet they were. I don't recall anyone commenting on this, but the Bizun scored 2 of their 4 TDs on trick plays no less, one on the fake reverse by Sproles and the other on the fake FG run by James "don't call me Jimi" Hendricks. Usually it's the solid underdog that has to resort to trick plays to make up the difference. Nothing wrong with the trick plays, fair and square, but does it tell us anything about the traditional smash-mouth, up-the-gut, traditional power game of the Bizun? You tell me.

BTW we are closing the ground with the big boys. We need more speed and I think this recruiting class helps that.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:36 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:13 pm
onceacat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
onceacat wrote:
NorthernPlains wrote:
onceacat wrote:

Seriously, I think Cold Smoke and Copper John's are the very best ales on the planet; however, the brewfests in so many other parts of the country put most of ours to shame.

I'd like to see a part of Bobcat Stadium become a brewery and steakhouse, all part of MSU's curriculum. Get Timothy O'Leary over to teach a couple classes, especially on gameday. We already have a great connection with the Rocking R. Keep growing the academic side of it and tie in what everybody who ever attended MSU enjoyed about it...some more than others...
MAP Midas Crush is the best beer I've ever had anywhere. I haven't been out to the Cities in probably 10 years, but last time I was out there, Milwuakees Best was still considered premium.

I dunno, maybe things have changed in a big hurry.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:47 pm

onceacat wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:36 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:13 pm
onceacat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
onceacat wrote:
NorthernPlains wrote:

MAP Midas Crush is the best beer I've ever had anywhere. I haven't been out to the Cities in probably 10 years, but last time I was out there, Milwuakees Best was still considered premium.

I dunno, maybe things have changed in a big hurry.
That's an IPA. A chick drink. Do you drive a Mustang or a Subaru?...just kidding...